Do YOU use Subtitles?

edited August 2009 in Sam & Max
When you play Sam and Max Season 1 and 2, do you turn subtitles on, or off? Why, or why not?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Subtitles for every game I play period.
  • edited July 2009
    Subtitles for every game I play and every movie I watch.
  • edited July 2009
    Unless I'm having trouble understanding what's being said, or if I need to confirm a specific spelling for something (e.g. someone's name), I keep the subtitles off. It enhances the immersion for me.
  • edited July 2009
    I often have difficulty processing what I hear, so yes, subtitles.
  • edited July 2009
    I use subtitles whenever available as they help me understand what's going on as I'm not a native speaker.
  • edited July 2009
    I never use subtitles, as they only distract me from anything else on screen is up to.
  • edited July 2009
    yes, because my hearing isn't brilliant and so I use subtitles to make sure I know what is being said.
  • edited July 2009
    always

the characters speak their lines much slower than the text appears and sometimes I'm more interested than solving the puzzles than listening to how a particular character is going to say the line, so I read, then right click to skip on to the next line.
  • edited July 2009
    I always have them turned on so I'm sure I don't miss any important dialogue.
  • edited July 2009
    No I always turn them off I find it distracting
  • edited July 2009
    Only if I can't figure out what a character says, otherwise I keep em off.
  • edited July 2009
    I usually have them on in case I miss something. I don't wanna miss a word any of my favorite characters say. :D
  • edited July 2009
    Since my mom is crazy about swearing, I keep 'em on so I know when to skip dialogue.
  • edited July 2009
    I keep em on....Games, TV, Movies.....I dunno why....
  • edited July 2009
    I keep em on....Games, TV, Movies.....I dunno why....

Exactly the same.
    I don't really need it, it...just has to be there.
  • edited July 2009
    Caption used to be annoying to me. My mom always has 'em on, so I've learned to kinda-sorta like them. Or at least ignore them. I like them for the games more than the TV though, because it stays in one spot on the games, and sometimes on the TV, it blocks people's faces. I hate that.
  • edited July 2009
    on for me. I'm not a native English speaker, and while I usually catch 80-90% of what is said, there's no way I let the remaining 10-20% escape me :)
  • edited July 2009
    in games i always have subtitles shown...so i can still follow the dialogue, even if there is some distraction. i hate it, when someone stars mowing lawns and i have to rewatch a whole cutscene because of it..
  • edited July 2009
    I keep them on. Sometimes I misunderstand some americanisms and it helps; and I read much faster than the characters speak so can skip lines if I get bored or have had them before.
  • edited July 2009
    RobD wrote: »
    I never use subtitles, as they only distract me from anything else on screen is up to.
    For me, somehow they do in movies, but not in adventure games. Thus, I generally use them in adventure games, as I see parts I might miss in voice only. Maybe that's because I'm used to it since adventure games came on a few floppy disks only.
    In movies, I only use them in cases where the actors have annoying accents.
    Since my mom is crazy about swearing, I keep 'em on so I know when to skip dialogue.
    Just put the words in question in the list of the bleep out division in Hell LCC. :D
  • edited July 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Oh, yes. This.
  • edited July 2009
    In computer games, yes, since although I understand the conversation perfectly fine I sometimes have a little problem identifying where the emphasis is. Often it's one or two words that's important in order to figure out the next puzzle and the subtitles help with that.

I never use subs when watching movies, though. I think they distract from the characters acting. I've been reevaluating a lot of movies since I turned subtitles off.
  • edited July 2009
    Subtitles are great for any game where what they say actually matters, or even for you to catch something that was done really quietly that you wouldn't otherwise notice. You never know when you will mishear a word, or some sound will occur in the background that will prevent you from knowing what was said.
  • edited July 2009
    On.
    I just never bothered to turn them off.
  • edited July 2009
    harlequ1n wrote: »
    I use subtitles whenever available as they help me understand what's going on as I'm not a native speaker.
    Me too
  • edited July 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »

Same here. It's easier incase they say anything really fast or weird.
  • edited July 2009
    Yep, I'm finnish so naturally english ain't my native language.

I do understand it well, but sometimes the speech goes too fast for me to catch up, so I may miss a line or two. That's what makes subtitles really useful. :)
  • edited July 2009
    Megaloman wrote: »
    I never use subs when watching movies, though. I think they distract from the characters acting. I've been reevaluating a lot of movies since I turned subtitles off.

Actually, that's exactly why I prefer them for movies, provided the dialogue is a language I don't speak. I may not understand the spoken words, but a lot is said by the way the lines are delivered. When dialogue is dubbed, the feel is often dramatically changed, as the voice actors rarely deliver the same emotion.

For video games where I speak the language, though, I never use subtitles. It detracts from the immersion, which is a very important aspect for me.
  • nikasaurnikasaur Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    I have this terrible tendency to read subtitles instead of paying attention to the actor's speech- if it's there, I am powerless to resist, and will usually miss some of the onscreen action by reading ahead of them. Luckily, I can turn off subtitles for the games!
  • edited July 2009
    Botap wrote: »
    Actually, that's exactly why I prefer them for movies, provided the dialogue is a language I don't speak. I may not understand the spoken words, but a lot is said by the way the lines are delivered. When dialogue is dubbed, the feel is often dramatically changed, as the voice actors rarely deliver the same emotion.

There's a big difference between us. Nothing except childrens tv shows is ever dubbed here and the english language is everywhere. I doubt that a swedish nondubbed movie without subs would make much sense for americans. It's also the reason why you should never go to the movies in most of the rest of Europe since dubbing is very common. German Lord of the Rings, anyone? Achtung Frodo!

Most swedes speak very good english and since I started to read english books and turned the subtitles off I've learned to speak and write the language so much better. It's still hard sometimes to understand specific english or american nuances and jokes in the games (especially in the first Sam and Max season) so I prefer the subs there.
  • edited July 2009
    It wouldn't be a Telltale game without the subtitles, so yes. So do i!
  • edited July 2009
    Sure, i´m using subs.
  • edited July 2009
    I always have the subtitles on for the games and for television. Just in case I missed something when listening. The only time I turn them off for TV is with live sports or news where the captions get so far behind they're useless.
  • edited July 2009
    I always turn subtitles off. When they're on, I just read them instead of watching the actual scene. Plus, sometimes they can ruin the joke if I finish reading before the line is actually said.

Only time I keep subtitles on is in old school 2-D point and clicks. It just feels more right there.
  • edited July 2009
    Subtitles: On.

Why? English is not my mother language, so it is easier for me to understand, what they say.

Also: There are some (minor) "subtitle jokes" you will miss, if you don't enable them (e.g. in Tales of Monkey Island(tm), I'm not sure, if there is a "subtitle quote joke" in Sam & Max, I think, but my memory can also be messed up :D ).
  • edited July 2009
    I try not too have them on, as it kind of takes away the immersion factor for me when I spend more time reading than actually listening. But it really depends on the mood: if I can pay attention on that day, I'll have them off. If I can't or if there's too much going on in the background of my home, I'll have them on.
  • edited July 2009
    subtitles, subtitles, subtitles all the way. oh what fun it is to read everything the actors saaaay!
  • edited July 2009
    I always have subtitles enabled, for two reasons:
    1) I'm not a native speaker of English and don't want to miss stuff because I mishear it,
    2) It allows me to put the volume down a bit when playing late at night ;)
  • edited July 2009
    Subtitles, of course. English is not my native language and you silly people don´t know how to vocalize correctly... :p
    Even if I can´t understand french or japanese, I CAN understand the pronunciation. But English... the pronunciation and vocalization are a nighmare for me... :(
  • edited July 2009
    Looks like the tendency is: Non-Native Speaker: Subtitles. Native Speaker: Non-Subtitles.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.