Do youu think its time for a Sam and Max movie?

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Amen!
    The comics were not geared for children,they had wild slapstick violence and adult innuendo...such as Sam advising future felons on how to keep their "manhood" in a federal prison by bashing inmates heads in with a mop handle if they say "hi",max making a gun out of soap swallowed and retrieved from the big scary shower room..hoods with switchblades,terrorists hi-jacking planes with clown masks,Sam running over a motorcycle cop with the DeSoto,people in the backgrounds commiting suicide.
    I love the comics and really wish Steve Purcell would remember that many of his fans were around back in the 80's when the first comic book came out.

I still have all my original Sam & Max comics that I bought new back in the day.

To me watering down Sam & Max to make them more marketable is like what happened to the Three Stooges after parents in the 60's complained about how violent they were on TV
    Compare the classic Three Stooges to the "new" Three Stooges.
    They became shadows of what they were.(and yes,I am aware they were all getting up in years anyway,but Moe had the act toned down to make them more acceptable to parents)

Dont get me wrong,I liked the Sam & Max TV show an even bought the dvds,but it honestly would have been better had there been an adult swim back then and Steve Purcell could have done everything his way and not had to tone it down for kids.
    The Nelvana animation was pretty poor too,all the other characters not designed by Steve looked pretty lame,the same as all the other Nelvana shows like Eek the Cat,etc.

Nah. Adult Swim is horrible. They'd probably want to turn sam and max to AO or MA. None of what I've read or played is EVER that bad. It's like Jason Steele and Adult Swim. They take 'dark' humor way too far. Anything that makes me feel dirty watching it is bad in my book.
  • thatdude98 wrote: »
    Nah. Adult Swim is horrible. They'd probably want to turn sam and max to AO or MA. None of what I've read or played is EVER that bad. It's like Jason Steele and Adult Swim. They take 'dark' humor way too far. Anything that makes me feel dirty watching it is bad in my book.

Adult Swim couldnt change Sam & Max into anything without Steve Purcells permission,he owns the characters and would have creative control over the show.

You obviously didnt read or understand my post.
    I dont want Sam & Max changed at all for todays "family guy" generation!,just presented as it originally was in the comics.

I agree I dont care for the garbage on Adult swim either,I dont watch them,I merely offered them as an example of a venue that would run Sam & Max without trying to turn Max into a girl or worrying about the slapstick gunplay or subtle warped adult humor that Steve Purcell had in his comics.

90 per cent of the stuff on tv today is junk,but Adult Swim *will* present adult animation.

Adult doesnt have to mean "dirty".....remember there was a time before South Park and Family guy when "The Flintstones" was considered an adult cartoon!

I dont want the "dark" humor or any other aspect of the strip changed from the comics,but again that cant happen because Steve Purcell owns the characters and he would obviously be in charge of the content.

Adult Swim/Cartoon network etc is just an example of a network that will show more adult animation.

I personally dont watch many new shows,I like the old ones best.
    I am just saying there are many more venues and networks for animation today that are geared for adults that didnt exist when the Fox kiddie series was made.
    A venue like that would let him present the series his way.
  • edited August 2009
    Why does everything have to be CGI now?

Because everything is 2000 times easier and cheaper to do as CGI?
  • edited August 2009
    I, personally, think that a Sam & Max movie would turn out great if it had;

1. The voice actors from the Telltale Games (They just sound right)
    2. Bosco and Sybil

And everything else just has to be Sam & Max-y, I wouldn't really care! Just as long as it's humorous and interesting, I'd go see it!

People are getting WAY too worked up about this concept. We shouldn't consider the logistics and which companies will produce it and all that junk. This thread should be discussing how GREAT IT WOULD BE!

Thank you.
  • edited August 2009
    *If* a Sam & Max movie were to be made,I would prefer traditional hand drawn animation as well.
    Since it was originally a comic book that style would lend itself naturally to the look and feel of the original art.

Me too, but, in the petition, we were especifically asking to Pixar because Steve Purcell works there. And Pixar is a CGI Animation Studios.
    CGI hasnt advanced to that point and will never replace a talented artist with a pencil.

Again, I agree
    There are other animation studios out there besides Disney who could do a fine job too.
    Sam & Max are not Disney characters.

Learn to read it in the context: We were asking to Pixar to do a hand drawn animated movie, but since Pixar can't and they are part of Disney (And John Lasseter is the big guy in both studios), that's the easy way to do it.
  • edited August 2009
    Jagger88 wrote: »
    People are getting WAY too worked up about this concept. We shouldn't consider the logistics and which companies will produce it and all that junk. This thread should be discussing how GREAT IT WOULD BE!

Thank you.

I guess is just my engineer spirit.

In fact, a Sam and Max movie done by Telltale would be awesome. Double awesome if the movie is done to looks like Steve Purcell drawings. I went with my Hardcover of Surfin' the Highway with some Graphic Artists of my country who doesn't know Sam and Max, and they were plain amazed with his work. ^^!
  • edited August 2009
    Yeah I'd agree to a film CGI or hand drawn. As long as they keep the Telltale voice actors. No big celebrity names for the box office. Except maybe Tim Curry as Mack Salmon.
  • edited August 2009
    NO TELLTALE VOICE ACTORS.

PLEASE.

:mad:
  • edited August 2009
    lattsam wrote: »
    NO TELLTALE VOICE ACTORS.

PLEASE.

:mad:

Telltale voice actors > Hit the Road actors, imo.
  • edited August 2009
    Sure, if they can make crap like G-force, why not?
  • edited August 2009
    Sure, if they can make crap like G-force, why not?

Maybe because it was made by Disney, arguably one of the most successful animation studios to date?

Plus, like it or not, G-Force was a lot more marketable than Sam and Max could ever be. People in general love talking animals and CGI. Although Sam and Max also fall under this category, G-Force is a lot more family friendly than S&M. Plus G-Force had a ton of money spent on marketing and hiring A-list actors to voice the characters.

I'd love to see any type of new media regarding Sam and Max, however I just don't see it appealing to a wide enough audience to invest the money in.

S&M has a nice sized, niche, dedicated fanbase. Unfortunately, I don't think that's enough to warrant someone funding a film for the franchise.

I mean just look at media nowadays. Video game wise, IP titles are becoming scarce in a wave of sequels and prequels because it's too risky to invest in something new. Hollywood's been cranking out remakes of old movies and based off of books, comics, video games, even manga; all of which have been commercially successful.

Basically what I'm saying is that S&M just isn't mainstream enough to get a movie made.
  • edited August 2009
    You mean just in general? I agree that it's not likely, but there's an upcoming Scott Pilgrim movie, and I'd never even heard of that until a couple of weeks ago. Which is a pity, because those comics are amazing. The City of Ember got a movie, and I always thought of that as YA Novel #50968409.

It's not just Harry Potters and Twilights that are getting movies, even now.
  • edited August 2009
    Gah, just when I thought I would get away from all the "G-Force is crap" stuff, you have to get it out to S&M forums, too? Please don't. D:
    (well, as a guinea pig fan I'm maybe alone with this, but.. meh.)

But back to topic: I agree with Detective. Sam & Max might not be marketable enough to hit wide audiences. As talking animals they WOULD make a perfect GC-film, but with the content it has, it just isn't something the wide world would expect.

There are many unique piece of gems (videogame and film-wise) out there that were praised by reviewers, but never got enough attention to stay on top and just got swept under the mat by bigger franchises.. It just might be the same with S&M. It's just not mainstream enough. Because it IS all about money in big markets, after all. (and this might scare most of the companies off to even try it out.)

But Shwoo got a point there. too. I heard there's going to be a Spyro the Dragon film, which I would have never expected to happen. But, it seems like the fanbase has grown quite a bit during the last few years, so I dunno anymore.
    Rayman also got his own TV-series once. Sadly, it never got further than 4 episodes, and it's existence was forgotten rather quickly. But heck, Ubisoft still did that!

..So yeah, I'd still love to have a film. :D Even if it were unlikely, it would be a dream come true, right? And maybe someone would just have the guts to try it out, after all..
  • edited August 2009
    As a computer animated movie, it would be AWESOME!

... I think...
    I don't have an opinion about the tv show yet, but as I bought it recently and it haven't been shipped, I hope to have one soon.

Anyway, Sam and Max on the big screen would be like a dream come true!

You could also make some kind of tie in with the games somehow.

-Peace out, Fnork Banan
  • edited September 2009
    *If* a Sam & Max movie were to be made,I would prefer traditional hand drawn animation as well.
    Since it was originally a comic book that style would lend itself naturally to the look and feel of the original art.
    CGI hasnt advanced to that point and will never replace a talented artist with a pencil.
    There are other animation studios out there besides Disney who could do a fine job too.
    Sam & Max are not Disney characters.
    I am personally not a big fan of CGI animation,(I thought Cars was o.k) for whatever reason all the character designs (especially humans) are just plain ugly.
    Besides I would like to see a return to the classic animation of the past.
    We used to make animated films and shorts that were works of art.
    Why does everything have to be CGI now?

If they were, I would so go to disney land to get a picture of Max..err..anyway.

I think that if any movie were to be made, it would have to be hand drawned, to give it what it deserves. I myself am a fan of the Video games and The Cartoon, so I'm a toss up really.. But if they were to make a sam and max movie..I think it should Be written by Steve himself, who knows the charachters better than he...I am suprised no studio has came up to him about it. Honestly, I mean obviously there are bigger sam and max fans out there bigger than we are and probably have some more money than us..I am suprised a studio hasn't said anything about.
  • edited September 2009
    Icedhope wrote: »
    If they were, I would so go to disney land to get a picture of Max..err..anyway.

I think that if any movie were to be made, it would have to be hand drawned, to give it what it deserves. I myself am a fan of the Video games and The Cartoon, so I'm a toss up really.. But if they were to make a sam and max movie..I think it should Be written by Steve himself, who knows the charachters better than he...I am suprised no studio has came up to him about it. Honestly, I mean obviously there are bigger sam and max fans out there bigger than we are and probably have some more money than us..I am suprised a studio hasn't said anything about.

Maybe there has but they haven't put their money where their mouth is, so Purcell just dismissed it. Maybe one day :)
  • edited October 2009
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    Maybe there has but they haven't put their money where their mouth is, so Purcell just dismissed it. Maybe one day :)

That's also a good possibility...I just hope in time there is one made, and they take their time with it to make it, worth the money to see it, and enjoy it.

With that said, I hope it's not a straight to DVD release like with what they do with so many comic books.
  • edited October 2009
    I thought I'd throw in some suggestions for alternate high-budget voice actors for a Pixar S&M movie. Feel free to give suggestions of your own.

Sam - Tim Allen
    Max - Billy Crystal
    Bosco - Eddie Murphy
    Sybil - Ellen Page
    Flint Paper - Gary Oldman
    Jimmy the Rat - Steve Buscemi
    The Villain - Stephen Colbert
  • edited October 2009
    I thought I'd throw in some suggestions for alternate high-budget voice actors for a Pixar S&M movie. Feel free to give suggestions of your own.

Sam - Tim Allen
    Max - Billy Crystal
    Bosco - Eddie Murphy
    Sybil - Ellen Page
    Flint Paper - Gary Oldman
    Jimmy the Rat - Steve Buscemi
    The Villain - Stephen Colbert

I wouldn't want to see any of the TTG charachters except for maybe Bosco because he's mentioned in the comic, well at least his store is.

I think maybe Bill Farmer, and Nick Jameson should reprise the role of Sam&Max, if they can't do it then Harvey Atkin and Robert Tinkler.
  • edited October 2009
    No famous people please.

Any animation feature film that casts famous voices have to twist the characters to "fit" the persona of the stars -- if the characters are designed from scratch, they had to look like the actors (think the absolutely atrocious Shark's Tale); if not, at least they will adapt the actor's signature gestures and antics, because this is what the stars' respective fans expect. I don't want to see Max behaving like, say, some gansta rapper.
  • edited October 2009
    Those guys are already fit to the roles. Pixar wouldn't do it without famous names to light up the title no matter how many fan protests they got. Personally, I don't think Pixar is the best fit anyway. I would prefer 2D animation oriented more toward the style of the comics.
  • edited October 2009
    What about Dreamworks? Wouldn't they be a better fit for a Sam & Max movie? Or have they already been mentioned?
  • edited October 2009
    Maybe after season 3, man.
  • edited October 2009
    Maxilyah wrote: »
    What about Dreamworks? Wouldn't they be a better fit for a Sam & Max movie? Or have they already been mentioned?

I don't think he would go to a rival studio, for his own comic.
  • edited October 2009
    They should release the movie when they end the telltale series and wait for everyone to forget them until the last minute. Just my opinion.....ALSO it should be presented by Warner Bros.
  • edited October 2009
    They should release the movie when they end the telltale series and wait for everyone to forget them until the last minute. Just my opinion.....ALSO it should be presented by Warner Bros.

But Sam & Max is far removed from Looney Tunes
  • edited October 2009
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    But Sam & Max is far removed from Looney Tunes

I'll agree.
  • edited October 2009
    WB is a better bet than FOX the cancel station, and MAYBE a better bet than Comedy Central. And hey, WB had Batman: The Animated Series.

I really like the idea of Adult Swim doing a Sam and Max cartoon; it would be the best show they ever had aside from Futurama and the Venture Bros.
  • edited October 2009
    WB is a better bet than FOX the cancel station, and MAYBE a better bet than Comedy Central. And hey, WB had Batman: The Animated Series.

I really like the idea of Adult Swim doing a Sam and Max cartoon; it would be the best show they ever had aside from Futurama and the Venture Bros.

You know what... that's what I was about to suggest!

Adult Swim allows live-action shows on their network... so I see no reason why can't they give a certain suit-wearing dog and rabbity thing some airtime.
  • edited October 2009
    You know what... that's what I was about to suggest!

Adult Swim allows live-action shows on their network... so I see no reason why can't they give a certain suit-wearing dog and rabbity thing some airtime.

I know steve, was talking about doing another show, but I don't know how they would do it, unless it was flash, like the short on the animated series DVD, or if it would be CG, I just hope they get airtime, and viewers..so then well...we can finaly have some Sam&Max Weekly, instead of every two years.
  • edited October 2009
    I know steve, was talking about doing another show, but I don't know how they would do it, unless it was flash, like the short on the animated series DVD, or if it would be CG, I just hope they get airtime, and viewers..so then well...we can finaly have some Sam&Max Weekly, instead of every two years.

Cool, where did you hear about this? I wanna know! :D
  • edited October 2009
    Cool, where did you hear about this? I wanna know! :D

I heard it at comic-con 08 when I went to his panel..he was currently in talks about bringing them back on air.
  • edited October 2009
    I heard it at comic-con 08 when I went to his panel..he was currently in talks about bringing them back on air.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 THIS IS THE BEST NEWS I'VE HEARD ALL DAY!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-*COUGH-COUGH!!!*........Whoa.......i think i pulled something.
  • edited October 2009
    I think it would be cool if they did the same animation in the new show as the one used for the animated series. If they did a new show I hope that it is more violent then the animeted series was.
  • edited October 2009

I'm speechless... almost.
    Although this is not total confirmation, just the fact that he likes the idea of bringing it back is enough to make my day.
  • edited October 2009
    I think we should all push as hard as we can for this. What do you say?
  • edited October 2009
    I think we should all push as hard as we can for this. What do you say?

Aye..we should.
  • edited October 2009
    I think it might be lucrative to mention here that TTG said in the past that if the money was presented they would be willing to do a new Sam and Max animated series (since they have the voices and everything built in CGI) OF course it wasnt any promises but they did express a willingness if somone were to pay for it...
  • edited November 2009
    David "Bad Asp" Delorenzo, the "crazy guy" with the blog on MixNMojo posted on Facebook a little while back that he talked to Lightsource Studios, who did the Sam and Max alien autopsy cartoon, and that they are open to doing a Sam and Max animated series. He's also actively trying to get Adult Swim to do a series. Seriously people, we need to fight so that this gets made!
  • edited November 2009
    Ashton wrote: »
    I think it might be lucrative to mention here that TTG said in the past that if the money was presented they would be willing to do a new Sam and Max animated series (since they have the voices and everything built in CGI) OF course it wasnt any promises but they did express a willingness if somone were to pay for it...

Do I sense the words "fund raiser" between those lines?
    Would this be a good idea?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.