Questions for Telltale, Season 3 Wise

edited September 2009 in Sam & Max
Hi, Telltale, I have some questions about Sam & Max Season 3, that you may not be able to answer until you actually make Season 3.
    Question 1 Since you are now with multiple companies (Wii, XBox..) have you guys ditched Gametap, or are you still with them?
    Question 2 If you still are with Gametap, will the release dates be the same as before? (Thursday: Gametap, Friday: Telltale)
    Question 3~ Will all the original voice actors return, or did you get some new ones?

'Question 4~ 6, 5, or 4 Episodes this time?

'Question 5~ Can Sam walk/run with the arrow keys in this Season?

'Question 6~ If by any chance, Playable Max?

'Question 7~ Will the Decals/Upgrades from Season 2 be on the Desoto, or did they all fly off when
Sybil and Lincoln get married
?

'Question 8~ How much of the street will you open this time?

'Question 9~ Is the enviorment going to go through like: Sunrise Day, Sunset, Evening. Or will there be weather on the streets?

'Question 10~ Do you have any gray pupon?

Well, that's all of them, like I said you may not be able to answer most of these, but thank you if you can. :)

Comments

• edited August 2009
    They haven't officially announced they are making season 3 yet so I doubt they'll be able to answer those questions at the moment
  • edited August 2009
    I'm sure at least some of them will be answered /when/ they make the announcement about S&M Season 3. So perhaps wait until then?
  • edited August 2009
    Well I heard "somewhere", that S&M 3, will be released very later this year, course it's one of those wild rumors, and naturally it went to my head.
  • edited August 2009
    Some of the language used by those announcing ToMI strongly suggested that S&M 3 was being pushed back for the purpose of getting ToMI rolling-- which of course implies that S&M 3 is up and coming. If my reading-between-the-lines is correct, it should be the next project after ToMI. I'm sure they're well aware of our antsiness to get another crazy-go-lucky fix of everybody's favorite dog and rabbity-thing.
  • TeaTea
    edited August 2009
    Hero1 wrote: »
    They haven't officially announced they are making season 3 yet so I doubt they'll be able to answer those questions at the moment

That means they are making it and they're gonna "surprise" us with an announcement when ToMI is finished.

Actually, I'd like to see a new IP before anymore sequels. That's how I am with every company - Revolution, Lucasarts (STOP MAKING STAR WARS GAMES!!!)...
  • edited August 2009
    I think that they said that they were working on Sam & Max Season Three prior to the announcement of Tales of Monkey Island. I can't find the exact page, though, so don't quote me on that. Anyway, if the Sam & Max Wiki is to believed, the answer to question 5 is "yes".
  • edited August 2009
    I think that they said that they were working on Sam & Max Season Three prior to the announcement of Tales of Monkey Island. I can't find the exact page, though, so don't quote me on that. Anyway, if the Sam & Max Wiki is to believed, the answer to question 5 is "yes".
    There were announcments on several minor gaming sites about how S3 will be out early this year. TTG probably changed thier mind as to the order in which they wanna get things out.
  • edited August 2009
    I thought someone said it would be out late 2009 or early 2010.
    I really hope they use the same voice actors. I really think the current ones are perfect. Personally, I didn't like the voice actor they used for Max in Culture Shock.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2009
    While I'm not sure *anyone* could answer most of these questions, we have officially said that new Sam & Max is currently in the early stages of planning. The whens, wheres and hows are still up in the air though. I'm sure some intrepid forum spelunker will find links to support this statement.
  • edited August 2009
    Maxilyah wrote: »
    I thought someone said it would be out late 2009 or early 2010.
    I really hope they use the same voice actors. I really think the current ones are perfect. Personally, I didn't like the voice actor they used for Max in Culture Shock.

Well, I really hope they use the original voice actors, because it's been three years. You've let Matt Chapman voice Strong Bad, and you've let Dominic Armato voice Guybrush, so PLEEEEEEASE, TELLTALE, let Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson reprise their roles as Sam and Max for Season 3!
  • edited August 2009
    I don't know why they cast different voice actors to Hit the Road, but I doubt the actors from the first games offered to reprise their roles and were turned down. More likely they weren't available, didn't want to do it, or were out of Telltale's price range.
  • edited August 2009
    I think the current voice actors they are using for Sam and Max in seasons 1 and 2 are perfect. My favourite bit is when they did the sing-off against Jurgen in Night of the Raving Dead.

I wouldn't want them to change actors for Season 3. I think Telltale agrees that consistency is good, which is why they have Dominic Armato who is *THE* voice of Guybrush in all voiced Monkey Island games and even brought back the same Elaine from Curse and SOMI:SE.
  • edited August 2009
    Bill Farmer's Sam is great, but I prefer David Nowlin. Farmer is more tough-guyish (he'd make a wonderful Flint Paper) while Nowlin is more cerebral and suave.
  • edited August 2009
    I disagree. I think Season 3 should return to its voice acting roots, and actually allow Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson to bring authenticity back to the series. Besides, it's been three years. Give these two fine actors another chance, I beg you!
  • edited August 2009
    Personally, it would probably lead to some scratching of heads if their voices change now. I think it would make an excellent season finale plot, however.
  • edited August 2009
    Why wait until the season finale? I say bring on the drama NOW!
  • edited August 2009
    lattsam wrote: »
    I disagree. I think Season 3 should return to its voice acting roots, and actually allow Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson to bring authenticity back to the series. Besides, it's been three years. Give these two fine actors another chance, I beg you!

Yeah, and let's tell David Nowlin and William Kasten that "hey guys, we've loved working with you, but now we're dumping you as we're returning to our roots (in other words, for no apparent reason)", huh? As Telltale's been satisfied with these guys, and most people posting on the topic seem to like them (I think they're very well cast, myself), I see simply no reason why Telltale should change if D.N. and W.K. are available.
  • TeaTea
    edited August 2009

Season 3 is going to appeal more to those that played Season 1 and 2, so the authenticity is the Season 1 and 2 actors.

There is clearly a reason why Bill Farmer and Nick didn't do the first two Seasons, and we're all comfortable with the new voices.

However - the theme must go back to Hit the Road! PLEEEEEEEEASE!
  • edited August 2009
    All in all, haven't Nowlin and Kasten been playing the roles for longer than Farmer and Jameson? After all, they've done two seasons worth of recorded dialogue which is probably more than all of the dialogue in Hit The Road :)
  • edited August 2009
    My advice: don't change anything.
    I'm happy with the current voices, and I didn't really like the Hit the Road voices. If there's one thing that bugs me in a game, it's a voice that I don't like, and I like all the voices so far.
    I trust Telltale to do things right, though. I'm sure this won't be like EMI where I said "eh, the first ones were better" after I played it.
  • edited August 2009
    I prefer the current voices too. It always irritated me a little that Sam said almost everything in the exact same tone of voice in Hit the Road. Sam very obviously has emotions in the comics, and shows them. It's interesting that both the Wikipedia article on Bill Farmer and the TV Tropes paragraph mention that he takes the acting part of voice acting seriously. I guess he wouldn't have done it that way if he didn't think it was appropriate, but it's just strange, that's all.
    I think Season 3 should return to its voice acting roots, and actually allow Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson to bring authenticity back to the series.
    (bolding mine)

I don't think you're using the same definition of that word as everyone else is.
  • jmmjmm
    edited August 2009
    Exactly. They're doing an outstanding job so why change them?

Maybe the "old guys" can be brought in to do an 'alternate Sam&Max' part/episode or something like that. But I think TT can do without them.
  • edited August 2009
    I prefer the current Sam and Max voices, by far.

Not that the originals were bad, I just prefer the new ones.
  • edited August 2009
    I know you people all like David Nowlin and William Kasten - so I've gotta ask this question:

WHO THE HECK ARE THEY?!?!

I still don't know even a tiny iota of information about either of the current voice actors. Explain plz.
  • edited August 2009
    TheJoe wrote: »
    However - the theme must go back to Hit the Road! PLEEEEEEEEASE!

That's also a matter of preference I guess - I think the Season 2 introduction snap-ins are simply hilarious, and I love the music, too.
    (for the record: I played Hit the Road about the time it came out, so I've been a long time fan of that game, too)
    I know you people all like David Nowlin and William Kasten - so I've gotta ask this question:

I still don't know even a tiny iota of information about either of the current voice actors. Explain plz.

My guess would be that Telltale found them through an agency. But why does it matter? David Nowlin adds a cool professional tone to Sam's character, and William Kasten is hilarious as Max (and also as Jürgen) - that's all I need to know about them.
  • edited August 2009
    Shwoo wrote: »
    It's interesting that both the Wikipedia article on Bill Farmer and the TV Tropes paragraph mention that he takes the acting part of voice acting seriously. I guess he wouldn't have done it that way if he didn't think it was appropriate, but it's just strange, that's all.

He does a pitch-perfect Goofy, so his deadpan take on Sam was probably a personal choice (as well as the voice director's; VAs don't have as much control over their performances as we might think, after all). I still think his Sam was wonderful overall, but yeah, the whole "near-complete lack of emotion" thing is part of why I prefer David Nowlin's Sam.

Well, there's their IMDB profiles, for starters. But I'm with Pantagruel's Friend -- I couldn't care less if Season 1 of Sam & Max had been their very first professional acting gigs ever.* They do a fantastic job with their respective roles. That's all that really matters to me in the end.

*Funnily enough, that seems to be the case with Kasten.
  • edited August 2009

What does it matter who they are as long as their acting is good? That's what we're talking about, isn't it?

If you want a tiny iota of information, here's something I heard from the episode commentaries. David Nowlin doesn't like to swear, and said random words when the script called for Sam to say something that would be bleeped out. This is noticable in 205 when the word soda is considered profane. Max and Timmy are clearly not saying "soda" when the word isn't entirely bleeped, while Sam is.

Willaim Kasten likes to swear, and ad-libbed the dirty joke in Abe Lincoln Must Die. This is very noticable in both of the blooper reels.

Now I feel like a stalker. I hope you're happy. (I'm not totally serious about that. I'm smiling right now)
    edited August 2009
    David Nowlin doesn't like to swear, and said random words when the script called for Sam to say something that would be bleeped out.

In 205, when Sam is saying swears for
    Hugh to bleep out
    , he is actually saying "button" and "donut button." And girl Stinky's swear of choice is "fluffernutter."

[/themoreyouknow]
  • edited August 2009
    Will wrote: »
    In 205, when Sam is saying swears for
    Hugh to bleep out
    , he is actually saying "button" and "donut button." And girl Stinky's swear of choice is "fluffernutter."

[/themoreyouknow]
    And knowing is half the battle!

...no, wait, that's "And now you know". Ah well.

What in the world would a donut button do, anyway?
    edited August 2009
    Maybe that's why it was censored in the first place...
  • edited August 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Maybe that's why it was censored in the first place...

This is a very good point
  • edited August 2009

OH MY GOD!!!!! THAT WAS VILE!!!!! :eek:
  • edited August 2009

I don't get it. :P
  • edited August 2009
    I think the joke is that it's too cute looking.

Anyway, a donut button is clearly a button that dispenses donuts.
  • edited August 2009
    I think the joke is that it's too cute looking.

Anyway, a donut button is clearly a button that dispenses donuts.

Where can I obtain one of those?
  • edited August 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Where can I obtain one of those?
    I think they generally come free with any purchase of a donut-making machine.
  • edited August 2009
    I think they generally come free with any purchase of a donut-making machine.

Then I need to pick up a donut-making machine.

And keep the current voice actors. Really.
  • edited August 2009
    My Wish List
      Make more logical puzzles.
      Smaller locations with less stuff in them, therefore loads of those small locations and the game will seem more harder and bigger.
      Jared the composer!
      A bigger role for Shambling Corporate Presence.
      The alliance of the Stinkys was honestly boring at the end of 205 - I hope something can be made of something funny and interesting of this duo working together or one of the pair killed off or something.
      Explore and involve more of the street - I loved exploring Bosco's Bathroom (shame about its lack of appearance in 205) and seeing Flint's "residence" was equally great in 201, however small of significance. Furthermore getting to see the sofa in 201 was more fun too. I would like a look more in Bosco's aisles, imagining them going way back like a supermarket or something ridiculous you guys do, and then perhaps a supermarket shootout occurs and Sam and Max have to save the day! I also want Sybil's closet to be featured more. I'm especially interested in Stinky's as a matter of fact, and maybe to see the back rooms of Stinky's would be a joy, such as the kitchens, her bedroom, her study, you know all that...oh yeah and I'd like to see more around S+M's office, you know like the corridor that S+M have to go in, to get into their office.
      Tone down Max's craziness, and give him more interesting things to say like in season one?

Okay I know many will hate me for the decisions I've asked, but this is what I want, ok? :p

Oh yeah and thanks for listening Telltale
  • edited August 2009
      Explore and involve more of the street - I loved exploring Bosco's Bathroom (shame about its lack of appearance in 205) and seeing Flint's "residence" was equally great in 201, however small of significance. Furthermore getting to see the sofa in 201 was more fun too. I would like a look more in Bosco's aisles, imagining them going way back like a supermarket or something ridiculous you guys do, and then perhaps a supermarket shootout occurs and Sam and Max have to save the day! I also want Sybil's closet to be featured more. I'm especially interested in Stinky's as a matter of fact, and maybe to see the back rooms of Stinky's would be a joy, such as the kitchens, her bedroom, her study, you know all that...oh yeah and I'd like to see more around S+M's office, you know like the corridor that S+M have to go in, to get into their office.

I agree, with all of it! The outside of the Office, too, if you know what I mean.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.