Siege of Spinner Cay startup problem

edited September 2009 in Game Support
After installing "The Siege of Spinner Cay" on my computer, when I try to start the program I get an Error message, which reads as follows:

"An Error has occurred in the script on this page:

Line: 6
Char: 37667
Error: Invalid Argument
Code: 0

And then it asks me if I want to continue running scripts on this page. However, regardless of whether I click on "Yes" or "No", it won't let me access Telltale Log-in, Serial Number validation, or any of the options that allow me to play the game.

I'm running Windows Vista on a laptop computer, and I have the specs necessary to play the game, but the game itself won't let me. I've tried uninstalling and redownloading the game, but it doesn't fix the problem. Someone please help me out!

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Which Internet Explorer version do you have installed? If it's 7 you could try updating to 8.
  • edited August 2009
    I am having the same problem and I have win XP with IE8. I have a screenshot of the error where can I upload it?
  • edited August 2009
    I also have Internet Explorer 8, Although I use Mozilla Firefox nearly entirely. Is there a glitch in the telltale loader or something?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2009
    Hey guys, looking into this now
  • edited August 2009
    Ok here is the file on my system that is causing the error-

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/richard/Local%20Settings/Temp/AC0B2A39CAB440358A1D8FB67EB0A775/launcher/include/lib.js

it appears to be present.
  • edited August 2009
    i'm having the same problem!!!!! :(
  • edited August 2009
    I had the same problem. I solved it by copying the launch files of TOMI chapter 1 (App Data> Local> Temp> 46D4757ADC3C4B36AB6650269562AC33) into the chapter 2 folder (AppData> Local >Temp> 0FA9F58B0D7441BEBAEB38BC02B756AF). After I restarted the launcher, it worked perfectly.

Please bear in mind I am by no means an expert with computers, so this might not be the best way to handle the situation.
  • edited August 2009
    Same script error here too. I use Firefox ONLY cause IE is a virus sandwich and my computer is the meat. Where is App Data? I'm using XP and i don't know where that is. I can't find the folders it's referring to.
  • edited August 2009
    I'm using IE8, Chrome and Firefox, same problem here. I've tryed Chez solution but when restarting the temp dir disappear :(
  • edited August 2009
    It doesn't matter what browser you use, the games always use Internet Explorer.

To the TTG guys: Maybe you should just include a runtime like XULRunner... would mean a lot less work for the poor guy who has to code the launcher scripts. Although it would make each game roughly 4MB bigger, but I think it would be worth it.
  • edited August 2009
    If Telltale needs to have a system with problems i'm offering VNC to my desktop ;)
  • edited August 2009
    Wow, my problem disappeared .. you might want to try it again guys.
    Maybe it was some webserver responding wrong / too slow causing the js in the launcher to crash .. dunno, activated and running now :)
  • edited August 2009
    Game working on one of the computers (Vista x64 IE8)

But does not work on my other XP SP3 x86 IE7 (also tried IE8)

Same error as op.
  • edited August 2009
    my problem still stands there :( wanna play :(
  • edited August 2009
    I can't run the program either. It doesn't crash, it just doesn't load at all - as soon as I try to run it, I get a message saying "MonkeyIsland102.exe has stopped working". Launch of the Screaming Narwhal still works fine - it's just the new one that doesn't work. I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1.
  • edited August 2009
    I think it has to be something wrong with the individual download link. From what i can gather, everyone who has bought the full season isn't having any problems.
  • edited August 2009
    I bought the entire series, but the launcher still doesn't work
  • edited August 2009
    I found the answer for those wondering about the demo. There's no demo:http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11473
  • edited August 2009
    I've fixed my installation by downloading the version from 'My Games', and not the link from the email, received regarding the new release.
    Seems OK now.
  • edited August 2009
    The one I downloaded was the one from My Games... I bought two licenses, one for me and one for my girlfriend. It was the same file I installed from, and it worked on my computer (Vista), while it didn't work on hers (XP).
  • edited August 2009
    I'm having a similar problem as described my Taren in the first post on this thread.
    when I double click the startup shortcut, it usually just goes straight to the black "telltale games" screen with the grey band without crashing, but has no buttons or animations. however it somtimes throws up a script error:

Line: 1
    Char: 1
    Error: Object Expected
    Code: 0
    URL: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20settings/shaun/Local%20Settings/Temp/381B4F53E1834B79A4799994F973329B8/Launcher/success.HTML

It then asks me if I want to continue running scrips on the page but as with Taren no matter whether I say yes or no it just goes to the black screen with the grey band. It also has another error in a second box saying "Internal Error".

If I keep trying, I very rarely get the "play game" button, but this seems to be getting less and less likely as time goes on. :confused:
    I have this problem with every Telltale Game I try to run (a few Sam & Max games and Launch of the Screaming Narwhal), each with varying success rates. I have so far not been able to run Siege :(

My Computer has the neccesary specs to run the game, and is running on XP Pro.
    I also have a screen shot of the error if that helps, but I don't know where to upload it to.

thanks alot for your time.
  • edited August 2009
    Same issue here, Windows Vista with IE7, we use FireFox and will not be upgrading to IE8. The first game worked, but the second has the following error:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: MonkeyIsland102.exe
    Application Version: 2009.8.19.32126
    Application Timestamp: 4a8c6fcc
    Fault Module Name: MonkeyIsland102.exe
    Fault Module Version: 2009.8.19.32126
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4a8c6fcc
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00187438
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 5ea3
    Additional Information 2: ed5ed5bfe13359bbda7e2dd97d3b5456
    Additional Information 3: 87d3
    Additional Information 4: b5ffba503487722e265d596a7625c7c7

Please help us, we really want to play your awesome games!
  • edited August 2009
    I suppose that I'm somewhat relieved to see that it's not just me experiencing problems launching this game. I just installed it a few minutes ago and am unable to get the game to start. I can get into the launcher just fine but when I hit the "launch game" button it crashes. I previously had no problems running the first game but now that one won't work either.

Hopefully this turns out to be an easily fixed issue.
  • edited August 2009
    The internet's broken!
    Mine doesn't work, either, but Launch of the Screaming Narwhal still works...

EDIT: Huh, that's odd. I restarted it, and before the error message had a chance to pop up, I just happy-clicked all over the window, and weirdly, it seemed to work.
    I don't know if it'll work for you guys, but you could try it.
  • edited August 2009
    I bought the entire pack dowloaded part 2 and its corrupted part 1 too I cant launch either of them please fix this I payed good money for this
  • edited August 2009
    I bought the entire pack dowloaded part 2 and its corrupted part 1 too I cant launch either of them please fix this I payed good money for this

Check your graphics settings and make sure that your color is set to 32 bit. I had the same problem. In addition to part 2 crashing on start I found that part 1 had ceased to work as well. When I checked my graphics settings I found that my color settings had been reverted to 16 bit for some reason. The game WILL crash on startup if you don't have color set to 32 bit. After resetting to 32 bit color both games work perfectly.
  • edited August 2009
    Hey, I got it working! Of course, I did so in Kubuntu using Wine, but TMI2 works as well as TMI1, better in Linux than in Windows.

So The Siege of Spinner Cay works fine in Linux, but doesn't even start up in Vista. It's the first time a game has played better under Wine than in Windows for me, but I am ever grateful for it. I'd rather not have to boot into Windows to begin with, so I'm happier with my solution.
  • edited August 2009
    Hrm, okay, got the stupid thing working in Windows now, TellTale, I love your games, but please do not arbitrarily cause your games to require the display to be set to 32-bit colour and the game to crash without any warning message when it's set to 16-bit. So the new game now works on my Vista computer when I bumped my graphics up. I had turned them down because some of my software doesn't work with Aero, and I just drop the colour-depth to 16-bit to enable classic mode. I don't like software that restricts my ability to use it based on having the settings too high or too low, I don't care if the game doesn't display using 16 or 32-bit colour, I honestly can't see a difference. So I'd call this a bug, especially with regard to its failure to present a useful error message asking me to raise the depth or offering to do it for me. A flat-out OS crash error message is pretty poor form TellTale.

I still have every expectation that this will be a great game however, and that TellTale will work through these bugs and continue to improve your platform & engine to be more robust.

Pleasantly,
    Ronald Bynoe
  • edited August 2009
    Squitters' fix didn't work for me. Still getting the script error.
  • edited August 2009
    it just started working- i have had 32bit color all along. it kinda stopped trying to log in automatically but once I got my number in it started right up.

Thank you TellTale
  • edited August 2009
    hello,
    im having the exact same problem as the original poster. :(
  • edited August 2009
    Yeah, mine crashes as it's "please wait, logging me in". I can't do anything before it crashes.
    I am running win 7 RC and I realize it's a lot to ask to support an experimental OS, but my problem seems similar to everyone here.
  • edited August 2009
    I still haven't seen any official response from Telltale about this issue.
    I've purchased the entire season in advance.

And now I have episode 2 which fails to start, every time.
    No matter what I do.
  • edited August 2009
    I can't run the program either. It doesn't crash, it just doesn't load at all - as soon as I try to run it, I get a message saying "MonkeyIsland102.exe has stopped working". Launch of the Screaming Narwhal still works fine - it's just the new one that doesn't work. I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1.

I have the same problem with same OS. Not only am I unable to start MonkeyIsland102.exe, but MonkeyIsland101.exe as well and it used to run perfectly.
  • TimTim
    edited August 2009
    Perhaps a lousy suggestion, but have you guys tried running it as Administrator & Compatibility mode (XP SP2)?
  • edited August 2009
    Tim wrote: »
    Perhaps a lousy suggestion, but have you guys tried running it as Administrator & Compatibility mode (XP SP2)?

Yes, funnily enough - it works in vista without running it as administrator, but in xp it doesn't work, even when running it as administrator. (Scripting problem)
  • edited August 2009
    My son was able to get past the scripting error by doing the following:

1. Reboot the machine
    2. Disable the Internet
    3. Start the Game (script error should not appear)
    4. Unlock with the Key Code
    5. Restarted the internet
  • edited August 2009
    woot ! it worked ! thanks to your son trb8x !
    i personally restarted the internet during the game activation (with my login/password), didnt get the script error afterwards and now have a beautiful "Launch Game !" button !!
    thanks again
  • edited August 2009
    Nuts, I thought for sure that would work. It looks like the launcher is about to do something different, then the .exe craps out before I can do anything as before.
  • edited August 2009
    Same Script Error: Invalid Argument in lib.js...

On Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 Internet Explorer 8
This discussion has been closed.