Missed Opportunities in TWDG

Comments

• I see. There's no harm of course! It would have made things more interesting.

DabigRG posted: »

More or less. Ralph completely disappears from the story after one scene unlike Winston and Victor and certain little things about Mike's ac

• Alvin, Carver, and George: Former Friends
    enter image description here

From what I could gather, Carver and Alvin may have been friends at some point since he and Bonnie both talk about George as if he meant something to Alvin as well: if Alvin was killed by Kenny, Bonnie specifically notes that, whether he didn't mean for him to die or not, Alvin still killed George while the Cabin Group, Nick's mom, and Reggie were in the process of making their escape. Not only that, but Rebecca clearly knew George as well if Carver used that name when he met Clementine and she sums up the reason he's after them as "he has trouble letting go." Given that she says this after almost letting on that he's after her specifically, it's entirely possible that George probably knew about what Carver did with Rebecca when he got in the way during their escape and so was [fatally] wounded by Alvin, which gave Carver yet another reason to be so cross with Alvin. After all, the only payoff that we get from Carver himself about this is if he has Alvin's tortured body sitting in the corner when he lets Clementine in, hand waving his "bullying" of him with a smug," We've got history."

There are just enough context clues, combined with a determinate line from Bonnie, to help somewhat explain this: Alvin, George, and Carver were all friends once and it may have been this friendship that lead to Rebecca becoming Carver's PA Announcer. Sometime into the Apocalypse, when Carver was starting to crack down on everything, he had become attracted to Rebecca(for some reason), who had been married to Alvin and had been trying numerous times to have a baby with him. Carver used their close personal space and the stress from their attempts to coerce Rebecca into having an affair, which coincided with her finally getting pregnant.

Carver had already come into conflict with Luke do to his leadership decisions; when Rebecca started showing, things got worse and he at some point revealed what they had done, with George presumably taking his side on the matter. While it's never really made clear whether Alvin knew about the affair or not, he at least knew enough to get uncharacteristically angry whenever Carver was relevant. So when Luke, Alvin, and Carlos organized an escape with the help of Reggie, George got in their way while they were running through the market(?), which lead to Alvin attacking/shooting him for slowing them down. Despite only wanting to get him out of their way in the heat of the moment, Alvin and Rebecca accurately predicted that George ended up dying from his injuries and thus Carver had another personal reason to track down the Cabin Group and bring them back.

While Alvin himself was out of it for most of In Harm's Way, Rebecca and especially Carver were around for much of the episode to have interactions with numerous characters including Clementine and each other. This is a key example where the incredibly bare hub area in the pin really should’ve been more intuitive and up to snuff, as it was the perfect chance to check up on everyone and get an idea of why Carver’s connection with them is so supposedly complicated. Rebecca is already worried/depressed about Alvin, so it’s not like it would be off topic or anything. There also really needed to an option to talk to Carver about George since it’s supposedly the reason he’s so bitter towards Alvin in particular and he’s trying to get Clementine to subscribe to his side anyway, so this was THE time to deliver on that bit of backstory.

• Hence to this day I still think Mike is Ralph A theory for another Day!Fricken Telltale

I wanted that bear fighting the walkers scene.........The Feelsss

Mike the Scavenger As revealed/confirmed by his voice actor Dan White, Mike was originally supposed to be Ralph, one of the guys that c

• I wanted that bear fighting the walkers scene.........The Feelsss

Yeah, as ridiculous/dumb as I thought that sounds, I still would've loved to experience that while escaping from Howe's with Sarah, Luke, and determinately Nick.

Hence to this day I still think Mike is Ralph A theory for another Day!Fricken Telltale I wanted that bear fighting the walkers scene.........The Feelsss

• What if you can ride the bear :D

bear simulator confirmed 2018 GUYS!

I wanted that bear fighting the walkers scene.........The Feelsss Yeah, as ridiculous/dumb as I thought that sounds, I still would've loved to experience that while escaping from Howe's with Sarah, Luke, and determinately Nick.

• That'd be random as hell. :joy:

Hi-ho, Kenai! We got us a Sarah to catch up to!

What if you can ride the bear bear simulator confirmed 2018 GUYS!

• Carver is my number 1 failed character in s2. There was a chance to create a villain that does horrible things and yet has good reasons for doing it....a way to contrast that the cabin group were no better...just different in style. A villain who actually respected Clem and took time to show her the way the world works in his mind...how everything he is doing is for the future generations like Clem's to get a foot up on the enemy.

These types of characters are not easy...and from the trailer for ep 3 it looked like they wanted to go in that direction...but dropped it. So sad.

• edited September 2017

To be fair, it's not like it would've been that easily well handled anyway considering how pastiche he was. I can see the appeal of the idea, though.

It also occurs to me that most of the Cabin Group were supposed to be good people who did bad things but had good reasons for doing. If that ain't a roundabout, I don't know what is.

Carver is my number 1 failed character in s2. There was a chance to create a villain that does horrible things and yet has good reasons for

• The chance for Jane to become a better character; from Clementine.

I thought her being with Clementine, while she was teaching Clem things, some of Clem's habits would begin to rub off onto her.

Really develop a sister connection. Maybe even making peace with the passing of Jaimie. Probably asking for much on that, but at least some levity.

• I would have thought that through Sarah the writers would have done that...but well you know.

MaconMajr posted: »

The chance for Jane to become a better character; from Clementine. I thought her being with Clementine, while she was teaching Clem thing

• Even so...they just ever gave it any thought whatsoever. Two years of working on that season and the result was a sloppy mess, not just my anger towards the treatment of Jane, but almost everything that made the game special.

I would have thought that through Sarah the writers would have done that...but well you know.

• That's clearly what they wanted to get across at some point(s), but failed to properly transition. Notice the disconnects in Jane's characterization between episode 3 & 4 and how little of her arc in Amid the Ruins is properly carried over into No Going Back.

The chance for Jane to become a better character; from Clementine. I thought her being with Clementine, while she was teaching Clem thing

• And vice versa, with Clementine as a buffer between the two.

I would have thought that through Sarah the writers would have done that...but well you know.

• There is a lot to love about season 2...but it does seem like they had no idea how they wanted to finish the season...and of course the stupid rewrites ended up with Luke drowning..and Jane who had been pushing Clem to help Kenny...all of a sudden instigating a fight that seemed to come out of nowhere.

Even so...they just ever gave it any thought whatsoever. Two years of working on that season and the result was a sloppy mess, not just my anger towards the treatment of Jane, but almost everything that made the game special.

• Exactly, and you know what? Clem being able or unable to do this would have added much to the game's legend...and to Clem's portrayal as a leader for the future.

And vice versa, with Clementine as a buffer between the two.

• That I like to get behind on!

With Jane, you know, I wonder if she can gain kinship with either Molly, Lilly or make amends with Christa.

Exactly, and you know what? Clem being able or unable to do this would have added much to the game's legend...and to Clem's portrayal as a leader for the future.

• Yes, that's true. But I suppose take what you can.

That's clearly what they wanted to get across at some point(s), but failed to properly transition. Notice the disconnects in Jane's characte

• edited September 2017

Idk, maybe Ration Leader Clinton "Clint" Barnes?

Him, definitely. But I'd say Javier. He is one of the most wasted characters in my opinion. He, as a character and protagonist, had so much potential. But we couldn't see all of him. We couldn't really control him either, determine our relationships, etc. I really want to know what they had in store for him.
    I know I already put him in my list, but I saw that you were having trouble with your fifth spot. :blush:
    I would put Clint and Dr. Lingard in the mentions.

Here's a fun little exercise: Top 5/10/whatver most wasted characters, whether in one season/installment or in general. So, here's m

• Probably. This is meant to be a more current talk about wasted concepts in general, though.

I also thought Howe's Hardware could have been more developed to give us pause when Carver is trying to bring Clem to his side. Like allow for more exploration and snapshots into the lives of the regular people (read: non-guards) that live happily there. It would have given the knowledge of its inevitable fall an emotional impact that is lacking.

Also SARITA. She was a genuinely interesting character that could have had a story to tell. I don't like how she was sacrificed to push Kenny further toward the edge when he would have gotten himself there. I agree about the town in Amid the Ruins and to a lesser degree Arvo's group's refuge. Why wasn't the interior a hub. On the subject of Arvo, Clem should have had another opportunity to speak with him then.

Tripp wasn't angry enough about Prescott's fall. In fact he just drops it after a point. You got the feeling he was a passerby like Javi rather than a defacto leader of the settlement and friend to many of its citizens.

And what about Clint? We know little to nothing of him compared to the other directors. For someone weilding so much power he should have been developed enough for us to at least have a sense of his personality.

Agreed.

Bonbomb posted: »

Wasn't there a thread like this by a different person a while back? I think Christa and Omid were wasted in season 2. For what little scr

• Wow. Late reply.

Probably. This is meant to be a more current talk about wasted concepts in general, though. I also thought Howe's Hardware could have

• Yeah, there's so many posts and replies to take note of in any given thread that it's easy to overlook some.

Bonbomb posted: »

Wow. Late reply.

• Pilgrims and Russians
    enter image description here

The slide for Amid the Ruins has Clementine smearing blood on her face as if preparing for war, with numerous silhouettes behind her. I've seen some people theorize that this meant there was supposed to be a dispute between two groups that Clementine would play a role in. Having Natasha, Buricko, and Vitali, with optional assistance from some other characters, act as the opposing side after Jane and Clementine started the conflict by sticking up Arvo would've serve this end and have a legitimate gray vs. grey conflict, with the "heroes" and the antagonists having some people on their side that are more heroic and sympathetic than others. Maybe have Clementine act as a go between since she attempted to convince Jane that this was a bad idea, with another character (possibly an old character like Becca, Tisha, Taavia, etc.) doing the same for the other side.

• probably the only thing i thought was handled badly in season 1 Was Chuck s death he pretty much only got introduced as a plot device to make Lee start making Clem more of a survivor since he s Killed Offscreen in the Sewers. While he dint really have much to do its not like that death wasnt actually cheap althought not as cheap as the Likes of Nick .

• Ugh i would be here until next Christmas writing about what i think the wasted potential was from the writing of Season 2 and 3. Omid and Christa being written off so early into Season 2 for one thing! That was one of the most disappointing things. Everything about Season 3 was wasted. I’d even say Season 1 had some wasted potential too in the sense that i think they shouldn’t have killed off almost every single character in that game. I would have liked to have seen some more survive into Season 2.

• yeah i agree with you. Telltale shouldnt have killed off all of the season 1 group and then made the rest unknown. Which ones do you think would have fit more on season 2 thought? ((Wish Ben lived so that he could actually grown from fuck up to a slightly decent survivor so that they could end that plotline better .... dont get me wrong Ben s episode 5 death scene with Kenny was beautifully done but i wish we actually got to see Ben actually do something ... i mean he s the only Main Character in season 1 that did not kill anything walker or Human.))

dan290786 posted: »

Ugh i would be here until next Christmas writing about what i think the wasted potential was from the writing of Season 2 and 3. Omid and Ch

• Which ones do you think would have fit more on season 2

Definitely Ben for sure! I too wanted to see him grow and develop from being a coward and a screw up to someone who can survive in that world. Think how good it would have been if it showed Clem and Ben bonding over time, seeing a transformation to both their characters? That would have been brilliant! I also would have liked Carley/Doug’s determinant status to last a lot longer, again the way i would have written Season 2 is to involve more of Season 1’s characters to further develop them, then perhaps introduce “a few” new characters into Season 2.

• Yeah, that is one of the few moments in Season 1 that falls into this category. And even then, I wouldn't say bad so much as odd amongst the rest of it.

Still got pulled off with considerably more care and meaning than stuff in the later installments(except maybe Nick, oddly enough).

UrbanRodrik posted: »

probably the only thing i thought was handled badly in season 1 Was Chuck s death he pretty much only got introduced as a plot device to mak

• I’d even say Season 1 had some wasted potential too in the sense that i think they shouldn’t have killed off almost every single character in that game

That's a little odd considering Season 1 easily has the most surviving [named] characters of any of the games. But then again, it's your point.

I would have liked to have seen some more survive into Season 2.

Oh, okay.

Ugh i would be here until next Christmas writing about what i think the wasted potential was from the writing of Season 2 and 3. Omid and Ch

• Well, he can save Lee at the clocktower if he's the only one you take, he helps during the standoff in Fievel's house before they retreat to the attic, and he will retrieve Lee's gun if he drops it(what exactly caused this, btw?).

yeah i agree with you. Telltale shouldnt have killed off all of the season 1 group and then made the rest unknown. Which ones do you think w

• That's a little odd considering Season 1 easily has the most surviving [named] characters of any of the games. But then again, it's your point.

My point being that this was probably the only negative thing i would point out about Season 1’s wasted potential. I feel all of the games should have had more characters survive into the next season like how the tv show is. At least to give us more time to grow attached to them and to see further development.

I’d even say Season 1 had some wasted potential too in the sense that i think they shouldn’t have killed off almost every single character i

• Well, he can save Lee at the clocktower if he's the only one you take, he helps during the standoff in Fievel's house before they retreat to the attic, and he will retrieve Lee's gun if he drops it(what exactly caused this, btw?).

Well those are kind of determinant but yes these are the small things he did to help. I think @UrbanRodrik meant that Ben could have been around longer to redeem himself and become a character we could actually grow to like.

Well, he can save Lee at the clocktower if he's the only one you take, he helps during the standoff in Fievel's house before they retreat to the attic, and he will retrieve Lee's gun if he drops it(what exactly caused this, btw?).

• Ben technically kills walkers during the fight with the walkers in the mansion with his “2 bullets” haha

yeah i agree with you. Telltale shouldnt have killed off all of the season 1 group and then made the rest unknown. Which ones do you think w

• I was disappointed that Chuck’s death occurred offscreen and that Lee was the only person who found him and he seemingly didn’t tell the others about him which i felt sad about it but yes i do agree. It would have been nice for him to have had more screen time.

probably the only thing i thought was handled badly in season 1 Was Chuck s death he pretty much only got introduced as a plot device to mak

• Fair enough. Personally, I'm just happy with other characters surviving period. Or I would be if it happened more often, anyway.

That's a little odd considering Season 1 easily has the most surviving [named] characters of any of the games. But then again, it's your poi

• Oh yeah me too. I think that some cabin group characters should have lived past Season 2 as well. Its like they just kill off characters for the sake of it these days

Fair enough. Personally, I'm just happy with other characters surviving period. Or I would be if it happened more often, anyway.

• Oh, okay, I suppose that makes sense. Boy, you Janiacs sure have a habit of coming off as needlessly dismissive at times--no offense.

None taken. In fact, I find it a fascinating comment.

Yeah, as clever as she's [apparently] capable of being, Kate doesn't have the best tact or priorities at times.

Or ever. The only reason she wanted to save Richmond is because she felt guilty.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear, I just meant as is, the way they are in the game right now, I would take David over Kate. Oh, okay, I

• edited November 2017

Oh yeah, definitely. Luke, Sarah, and Edith are the main ones that come to mind.

And that's not even a matter of having them tag along with Clementine and AJ either--it seriously feels like just existing offscreen alive and well period is fucking luxury that only a very select few characters can get for even a brief amount of time.

Oh yeah me too. I think that some cabin group characters should have lived past Season 2 as well. Its like they just kill off characters for the sake of it these days

• edited November 2017

None taken. In fact, I find it a fascinating comment.

Oh-ho?

Or ever. The only reason she wanted to save Richmond is because she felt guilty.

Well that and she was fully behind David's plan(wish they'd did more with and them), associated the devastation with not being to save Mariana(before Ida came up even), and she seemed to have a thing about clinging to her relationships and perceived responsibilities in general.

Not that that's a bad thing, mind you. Just not a particularly clear-headed one.

Louche posted: »

Oh, okay, I suppose that makes sense. Boy, you Janiacs sure have a habit of coming off as needlessly dismissive at times--no offense.

• Though we have no knowledge about how and when they met

The same as every other character in Season 3. Badly written with no backstory.

Fangirl101 posted: »

Nor gonna lie: Tripp was fuckin' done before the game even came out in my book. ...What? he was very quick to simply flee Pres

• Say, remember how in pro-David/Gabe playthroughs or at least if you decide determinately to go to David's house, Javier can tell Gabe that Clementine hates his dad and that he should talk to her about that? Would've been nice to see that pay off for those who shot Conrad, assuming it didn't[whatever the fuck I was supposed to say here].

Another reason why the writers were god awful and clueless

Say, remember how in pro-David/Gabe playthroughs or at least if you decide determinately to go to David's house, Javier can tell Gabe that C

Sign in to comment in this discussion.