Message monkeyislandexec102 has stopped working

edited September 2009 in Game Support
Hello - anyone getting this? I updated my Intel graphics driver - now getting "monkeyislandexec102 has stopped working. Windows will close the program and get back to you if a solution is available."

Such a cool game - what am I doing wrong?:confused:

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Hey CQ.

I had same problem - I think it was caused by one of two things - I installed the second episode on a different drive from episode 1 and I opted not to let the install process of episode 2 update the Directx drivers.

After I uninstalled episode 2 and installed it again on the same drive as episode one and also allowed it to update the Directx drivers if it wanted to I managed to get past the exec102 stopping problem.

I have now played through to conclusion but have had a couple of blue screens of death that appear to have been triggered in a Directx module - but have also had a slew of MS updates applied to the machine so it is hard to point a definitive finger at any one thing. (Prior to installing Episode 2 and the last set of MS updates this Vista machine has been rock solid).

So I'd suggest uninstalling and letting it update the directx drivers if you did not try this the first time round.

Anybody else having any problems?

Yhhaabor
  • edited August 2009
    Meant to say that this really belongs in the support forum - you'll find more info and help there.

Yhhaabor
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Hello - anyone getting this? I updated my Intel graphics driver - now getting "monkeyislandexec102 has stopped working. Windows will close the program and get back to you if a solution is available."

Such a cool game - what am I doing wrong?:confused:

Maybe your graphics driver update changed the color depth of your display. It has to be 32 bit, or the game will crash like that.

If that's not it, please give us some information.

Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible to us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    1. If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.
    2. You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
  • edited August 2009
    I bought tales of monkey island chpt 1. but it stops playing after the prologe. I am confused because the demo worked fine.
    i have receantly had a new hard drive put in.
    operating system:Windows vista home premium (6.0 build 6001).
    system manufacturer: Compaq-pressario
    processor:intel pentium dual CPU e2220@2.40ghz (2CPUs), ~2.4ghz
    memory:3060mb RAM
    page file: 1194mb used, 5168mb available
    Direct x 10
    Display Device: intel g33/g31.Express Chipset Family
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    I bought tales of monkey island chpt 1. but it stops playing after the prologe.

Let's deal with your malware issue first.
  • edited August 2009
    Hi DjNDB. i did the rescue scan and it said i have 1 WARNING? what should i do next?
    does this mean i have a problem im not quite sure what this means?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Hi DjNDB. i did the rescue scan and it said i have 1 WARNING? what should i do next?

What exactly did the warning say?

Could you also please make a screenshot of the messages you get that tell you that you should scan your computer and buy stuff?
  • edited August 2009
    i tried to do the screen print but i can't get back to graphical interface, without shutting down the computer. what is it exactly that you want?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    i tried to do the screen print but i can't get back to graphical interface, without shutting down the computer. what is it exactly that you want?

There are two things i am interested in, in order to identify what might have infected your system
    - The warning message after your malware scan with the cd. You could just write it down or use a camera
    - A screenshot of the messages that tell you to scan

Somehow it feels strange, that you get those messages, but the scan only shows a warning. The screenshot hopefully will make that more clear.

To speed things up, let's start with the game fixing part as well.

Do you get any error message when the game stops?

Since it always crashes after the prologue, it is likely that the installer got corrupted during download. The following procedure should help in that case:

Fresh Download
    Uninstall the game and choose not to delete your save games.
    Then make a clean download as described below, and install it.

Deleting temporary internet files:

Before downloading it again it is generally recommended that you
    delete your browsers cache/temporary internet files so that it is not loaded from there:

Internet Explorer 7: In the menu choose "Extras/Delete Browsing History...". In the resulting Window select "Delete files..." for "Temporary Internet Files".

In recent Firefox and Internet Explorer 8 you can delete the cache/temporary internet files with CTRL-Shift-Del.

In Firefox you would only select "Cache".

In Internet Explorer only select "Temporary Internet Files".
    Uncheck all other boxes in each case.

After installation check if the error still occurs.

If the game still doesn't work, please give us some more information:

Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible to us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    1. If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.
    2. You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
  • edited August 2009
    The first time I've installed this episode, the launcher screen didn't even come up, and the game crashed.

But today I've read about the new version which was just released. I've uninstalled the previous one, re-downloaded the game today, and installed the new version.

This time, the launcher came up, the game was unlocked, but pressing the launch button brought the message whose snapshot I attach.

I also attach the results of running DXDiag + the text files saved by the Windows when the game crashed (the ones listed in the screenshot) - I can also send the dump file from the same crash, but it takes about 2MB compressed.

Last thing - never had a single problem with any of Telltale's games, including TOMI episode 1, has just checked it again, and it continues to work fine.

Please help - thanks!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    SirPsycho wrote: »
    Last thing - never had a single problem with any of Telltale's games, including TOMI episode 1, has just checked it again, and it continues to work fine.

That sounds like a difficult case then. I will give you at least some things to try.

Try starting the game after a clean boot like this:
    Msconfig for Windows Vista:
    To Boot Clean in Windows Vista

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post

If that doesn't work here are some driver updates for your system

- Reinstall DirectX from the Full DirectX Installer

- Install the latest Realtek sound driver

- Install the latest ATI Drivers
  • edited August 2009
    MSConfig trick didn't help.
    Updated to the latest DirectX (actually, there was no need - I was fully updated).
    Installed the latest Catalyst driver (9.8 instead of 9.7).

Still didn't help...

Will try the audio driver update tomorrow.

This really frustrates :(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Will try the audio driver update tomorrow.

This really frustrates :(

Let's hope it works.

If it doesn't your download could be corrupted.

You could create an MD5 Checksum for the ToMI_SiegeOfSpinnerCay_Setup.exe and compare it to mine.
    MD5: ad3f461222ae16278a92e823b77ce6b9

If it's the same, your file should be fine. If it is not either one of ours or both could be corrupt.
  • edited August 2009
    Not for nothing, but let's stop blaming drivers and directx issues when it's the game itself.

Stop ignoring the fact that part 1 of the game runs and works just fine.

Stop ignoring the fact that every other game under the sun, from World of Warcraft to Everquest 2 to Crysis work just fine.

Part 2 of this game crashes, exactly as this user stated, and ONLY this game crashes.

It's not drivers, it's not the OS, it's the game. Telltale needs to fix it, and that's that.
  • edited August 2009
    And this post helps anybody how?

The game may be missing fallbacks for various scenarios, but in most cases so far there was some reason that caused the crash. Yes, these problems could be handled more gracefully (like checking for compatible hardware, checking directx libraries, checking screen depth, checking MSIE version, ...), but for now we've got to work with what we have.
  • edited August 2009
    And this post helps anybody how?

The game may be missing fallbacks for various scenarios, but in most cases so far there was some reason that caused the crash. Yes, these problems could be handled more gracefully (like checking for compatible hardware, checking directx libraries, checking screen depth, checking MSIE version, ...), but for now we've got to work with what we have.

It helps because it's NOT the persons computer -- yet you're having him update this and that, perform all sorts of tweaks and setting changes when the cause is ONE game, all the while ignoring the fact that everything else works/runs fine, including part 1 of this game. Usually, you don't start recommending updates/driver tweaks and msconfig changes when the cause is 1 program that's not working, because you may end up breaking everything else or damaging his OS install.

The issue is that this game is built on the same engine as part 1 -- and while part 1 continues to work on the users computer, part 2 does not -- so having the user start altering system files, or updating various driver components (which can be disastrous), isn't the best first move. The problem seems widespread, so I'm pointing at the game, not at various users computers in most cases.

Edit: I had the same issue as this user, and while everything else on my computer worked just fine, this game did not. The update Telltale posted in the forum worked, though I haven't actually played yet, the game now launches successfully -- and this points to my original assessment, it wasn't the users computer, it was the game.
  • edited August 2009
    Computers aren't that simple. Dozens of factors play into how a program performs and while we certainly can't rule out that there's a kind of incompatibility that's impossible to overcome, we can at least try to solve the issue. It has worked for others, why not for the people in this thread.

BTW, just in case it has been overlooked: The most common cause for ToMI to crash is if the display is set to 16bit colordepth. So make sure it's set to 32 bit.
  • edited August 2009
    Computers aren't that simple. Dozens of factors play into how a program performs and while we certainly can't rule out that there's a kind of incompatibility that's impossible to overcome, we can at least try to solve the issue. It has worked for others, why not for the people in this thread.

BTW, just in case it has been overlooked: The most common cause for ToMI to crash is if the display is set to 16bit colordepth. So make sure it's set to 32 bit.

I know computers aren't that simple -- I've worked on them for over a decade in the realm of tech support, server support, administration, installation, firewalls, you name it...

If this was an isolated case, I'd agree with you, but it isn't. It's widespread. The fact that I changed NOTHING on my machine and the fixed download (posted by Telltale Games in the forum) works says it's more of an issue with the game compile itself than it is with individual systems.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    hPOD wrote: »
    The fact that I changed NOTHING on my machine and the fixed download (posted by Telltale Games in the forum) works says it's more of an issue with the game compile itself than it is with individual systems.

You can't look at just one case and make a rule out of it.
    There is not just that one problem that makes ToMI not working for everyone.
  • edited August 2009
    This may make me look a bit stupid: but what fixed download?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2009
    He's referring to the improved audio version. I'd be curious to know if previous version of the game matched an md5 check with what Dj posted in another thread.
  • edited August 2009
    Uhm... did the update actually change anything beyond the voice pack? I think I remember the other files being identical...
    edited August 2009
    Nope, it's jut the voice pack and the file name. I think what's key here is that the file name changed, so it forced a fresh download from the server rather than relying on any internal cached data.
  • edited August 2009
    Will, since we're getting so many checksum errors... do you think it would be possible to integrate a quick check into the installer (I always thought NSIS had one... maybe you just need to enable it?) or doing one during first launch?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Will wrote: »
    He's referring to the improved audio version. I'd be curious to know if previous version of the game matched an md5 check with what Dj posted in another thread.

Did you consider integrating integrity checking into the installers of the games?
    That could prevent some of the hard to track bug reports in the future.
    edited August 2009
    It's actually something we've had before but it was causing a bevy of other problems. That said, I think I'll be reopening the discussion.
  • edited August 2009
    Good to hear. You don't have to do anything overcomplicated, a simple CRC check on all files when no prefs file is found should catch the majority of cases and create few problems. People may still get errors when they re-download an episode but in that case we can just tell them to rename the prefs file and see what happens. Actually, now that I think about it, you wouldn't even have to enable it by default. You could just deliver an XML file with checksums along with the game (so that you don't run into any trouble if you just want to update one file like with the voice pack) and add a parameter that makes the game exe perform the check. People would still ask, but at least we'd have a quick way to check when they do.
  • edited August 2009
    DjNDB, as per your suggestion, the following checks done:

Audio driver update - didn't help.

MD5 check - yielded different results from your MD5 (please see attached screenshot), for both the file downloaded from the the new release post in the support forums ("fromLink" directory in the snapshot attached), and from the file downloaded from my account ("fromAccount" directory).
    Interestingly, not only that it's different from your checksum, the both download versions are different between them. The one from the forum link shows the launcher, but crashes after clicking on "Launch" (as described in this thread). The one from my account crashes even before I can see the launcher.

I'm starting to suspect spyware/malware/viruses, currently updating my protection software to see if these downloaded versions were somehow infected along the way, but I'm pretty sceptical.

I still don't understand why the file in the forum link differs from the one in my account (maybe browser cache?) - but in the meantime, can you please provide a direct link to the same file version that yields the checksum you've published?

Thanks...
  • edited August 2009
    Forgot to attach the screenshot of the MD5 check.
  • edited August 2009
    I've sent you a link to a mirror on my server... maybe that helps (it has worked for others)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    I've sent you a link to a mirror on my server... maybe that helps (it has worked for others)

Good teamwork :)

I still wonder why people get these corrupted files.
    I'm starting to suspect spyware/malware/viruses, currently updating my protection software to see if these downloaded versions were somehow infected along the way, but I'm pretty sceptical.

Better use a boot cd to scan. If your system is infected, the malware had the chance to manipulate your system so it can't be found, rendering every virus scanner running on the system itself useless.

Download the Avira AntiVir Rescue System. When you start it, it asks for a cd to burn itself to. Then you boot from that cd to scan your system for malware.
  • edited August 2009

I don't understand what's going on.
    I've downloaded your file, and not only that its MD5 is different than both of the downloads I've mentioned before, it is different than the one you've published (the correct one).

What's going on? I'm using the Firefox' download manager. Maybe the file gets corrupted along the way?

BTW, haven't found any viruses (yet).
  • edited August 2009
    Apparently. Firefox' download manager isn't exactly an exciting piece of software, but AFAIK there haven't been any cases yet where it actively corrupts a download... seems something is very wrong with your connection. I could upload a split RAR with recovery information... since RAR has it's own checksum system which works on a per-split-file basis you could then just redownload whichever part is corrupted. It wouldn't solve the root of your problem, but at least you could play...
  • edited August 2009
    Before we try the split RARs idea (for which I'm grateful, and for all your help!), I'm trying to re-download with FDM (and use it's MD5 checking ability to verify the expected MD5).
    Hope this 2nd-and-a-half download isn't too heavy on your server...
  • edited August 2009
    I still have 40GB or so over my usual monthly average, so we should be covered. I'm still uploading the split version in the meantime... it compressed surprisingly well: Eventhough I added a 10% recovery sector (WinRAR can use this sector to repair some errors in the transmission, I still end up with only 185MB, instead of 257 for the installer.
  • edited August 2009
    Corrupt file again, with yet another MD5...
    This time even the installer looks bad.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    seems something is very wrong with your connection.

Agreed.

@SirPsycho
    Could you tell us a little more about the way you are connected? Provider? Hardware? Software?
  • edited August 2009
    I still have 40GB or so over my usual monthly average, so we should be covered. I'm still uploading the split version in the meantime... it compressed surprisingly well: Eventhough I added a 10% recovery sector (WinRAR can use this sector to repair some errors in the transmission, I still end up with only 185MB, instead of 257 for the installer.

Man, your idea was excellent!
    I've downloaded the split RAR, extracted, it gave the same exact checksum you were talking about - and, voila, the game is working like a charm :D

Now I need to find the root cause for having a corrupted download - I've never faced such a problem before, that's really unusual (and I'm downloading a lot). More than 5 different downloads of the installer exe, and all corrupt.

This only proves that an automated, even semi-automated, checksum verification procedure must be carried out by TTG, which will allow an instant recognition of the problem at the customer's side. This way I wouldn't have lost those precious hours at home, between taking the kids to bed and going to sleep in the middle of the night, and would've instantly identified the problem...

Thanks everyone for your help, you have been so helpful!
    Especially DjNDB for his prompt replies, and hansschmucker, for suggesting the RAR idea and putting these files on his server for me - you're the king, man :)
  • edited August 2009
    I've uploaded the split archive in the meantime. That should at least allow you to get ToMI working although you definitely have other more serious issues.

If anybody else can't get a working download, just PM me.

Edit: Posted at the same time :)
  • edited August 2009
    Long story short: You're welcome.

About your connection problems... I honestly have never seen such a bad case, but if you want to share your provider's name and technology + your router's name, we may at least do a few educated guesses :)
This discussion has been closed.