The Council - Final Episode "Checkmate" Releases December 4th

Comments

• edited April 2018

The episode’s been out for a month. Should I wait a year before I’m able to discuss the plot openly? Besides, other episode 1 choices have already been mentioned openly earlier in the thread.

Gavin34 posted: »

spoilers...

• doesn't matter, you are assuming everyone has played it, make a new thread to discuss spoilers

AnimalBoy posted: »

The episode’s been out for a month. Should I wait a year before I’m able to discuss the plot openly? Besides, other episode 1 choices have already been mentioned openly earlier in the thread.

• edited April 2018

You going to tell that to the other people who've already posted "spoilers" in the thread or just me? Because I sure don't see you complaining to any of the other people talking openly about the plot and ending all over page 2. Can't have it both ways.

And yes, it does matter. A month is plenty of time to pass where people should be able to post openly about things that happened in a game, tv show, movie, etc. without people complaining about spoilers. This isn't a day after release. You go a couple of weeks or months and people lose the right to complain about being spoiled. It's on them to avoid the thread, not the other way around.

doesn't matter, you are assuming everyone has played it, make a new thread to discuss spoilers

• 'Please don't post spoilers from any leaked The Council episodes'. - page 1

Many people don't play games on release or even a month after, some might play several months after or even a year +

See title page, once again create another thread if you want to discuss spoilers.

You going to tell that to the other people who've already posted "spoilers" in the thread or just me? Because I sure don't see you complaini

• The key word there is 'leaked'. Episode 1 isn't leaked, it's definitely ok to talk about now

'Please don't post spoilers from any leaked The Council episodes'. - page 1 Many people don't play games on release or even a month after

• edited April 2018

What you’re asking for is for people to use spoilers tags for an indefinite amount of time because some people may take a year or more to get to a game. That’s both insane and unfair to ask of people.

Like Cheddarhead said, episode 1 isn’t leaked. Something can’t be leaked if it’s been out for a month. So that request on page 1 doesn’t apply to my post.

So, no. I won’t be creating a spoiler thread for an episode that’s a month old and for a game that quite frankly isn’t big enough to support two separate threads. When the next episode comes out I’ll post my initial impressions in spoiler tags. But I will not be posting my thoughts in spoiler tags for something that’s been out for a month. End of story.

'Please don't post spoilers from any leaked The Council episodes'. - page 1 Many people don't play games on release or even a month after

• edited April 2018

I'm on the side of not needing spoilers after a certain amount of time. A month is more then enough time for spoilers to no longer be needed.

• Hopefully we are getting an early May release date the length of time it is taking to finish episode 2 may be a good sign in terms of choices and different paths.

• I really enjoyed this game and there are so many choices that you can make and every detail in the game has a purpose like sometimes you might find letters or notes that contain important information on how to gain a characters trust or sometimes you might just have to hope that the dialogue choices you make persuade them to trust you and even the first episode of this game ends with three different endings which is always good to have in a choice driven story game. :smiley: Also this is the first story game I played where players are given a choice on what class the player uses.

• Hi, can you update the thread please: https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/6434/announcing-the-council-episode-2-hide-and-seek
    The Council Episode 2 "Hide and Seek" will be releasing on May 15th for complete season owners and May 17th for those who only bought Episode 1. Also new screenshots released:

dojo32161 posted: »

I'll think about picking this up once I hear how the mood's going in a few episodes, I am very interested.

• I’ve been thinking about picking up this game. From what I’ve read it seams pretty worth it. But I’m still curious, so it’s a detective/mystery game? How do the RPG elements work? And do choices seem like they will have a bigger affect in the overall story?

• edited May 2018

Yes, it's a detective mystery game. Imagine The Wolf Among Us but with historical figures instead of Fables. The RPG elements work in that, at the beginning of the game, you select what type of person you want your character to be, and at the end of every level, based on how you performed, you can level up certain skills in your skill tree. Based on the level you're at, it can unlock different dialogue options and choices throughout the game. Also, based on the skills you unlock and what you learn about some of the characters, you'll find that some skills may or may not work on certain characters. Every character has a set strength and weakness, and you can exploit those weaknesses to get more information from them. For example, one of your skills is Psychology, if you invest a lot of your points into that, then you can use it against people who are weak against that, but if someone is considered strong, than it won't work. As you talk to characters, you really need to pay attention to these strengths and weaknesses, they will guide you in developing certain skills when you gain enough XP. These are especially useful when you get into a confrontation with them, as you have a limited number of attempts to convince them. These confrontations work similar to the Chloe's talk-back feature in Life is Strange: Before The Storm, only less cringy and stupid.

I’ve been thinking about picking up this game. From what I’ve read it seams pretty worth it. But I’m still curious, so it’s a detective/myst

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Sorry for being late on this.

Hi, can you update the thread please: https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/6434/announcing-the-council-episode-2-hide-and-seek The Council E

• Episode 2 trailer

• Can anyone downloaded yet?

• Do you own the season pass?

MosesARose posted: »

Can anyone downloaded yet?

• Played the new episode and enjoyed it, spoilers below

Although last episode I got the ending where Elizabeth leaves the island and therefore doesn't die, I still had to deal with being accused of her murder even though it didn't happen; this was annoying and kind of Telltale-esque.

I would've also liked a few more scenes with some of the characters, as it felt like the interactions with them were much smaller and less frequent than last time. I only got 2 confrontations and 1 opportunity and there was only 1 significant choice. The puzzles however were quite enjoyable, especially the one involving Mortimer's secret door, and I enjoyed finally having virtually unrestricted access to the entire manor.

Ultimately I don't think it was as good as The Mad Ones but it was still a solid and lengthy episode

• edited May 2018

Seems to be getting mixed reviews.

Kinda bummed that it seems Elizabeth dies no matter what you do.

• edited May 2018

So....is Elizabeth actually dead as in you see her body or just missing in your version? I have that ending too and it seems to be a bit weird that they'd still accuse you of her murder unless they found her body somewhere. Is there anything indicating that she maybe died while trying to leave?

Cheddarhead posted: »

Played the new episode and enjoyed it, spoilers below (Spoiler)

• No she is alive in one route, "well missing"

Seems to be getting mixed reviews. (Spoiler)

• edited May 2018

I really enjoyed this episode not as good as episode 1 cause story telling took a bit of a back seat for puzzle solving this episode. The puzzles made me really think hard like the coded door made me really visualise what the lock looks like and how many sides it has. If you went with Emily at the end of the last episode then there is a really long investigation at the start of this episode which I enjoyed. I believe there are only two different endings at the end of this episode though?

• Which version is that? The telling her to leave ending or not talking to her and going with Emily ending? I'd really hate it for her to get killed after I willingly let myself be drugged.

(Spoiler)

• You need to drink all the way to the end and tell her to go.

If you didn't have to investigate who murdered her at the start of episode 1 then we can only assume she is alive.

(Spoiler)

• edited May 2018

Which I did. Just saw Cheddarhead's post up there saying he got accused of her murder despite telling her to go at the end of episode 1 and I got lost...how is he accused of her murder when she presumably got away and isn't dead?

You need to drink all the way to the end and tell her to go. (Spoiler)

• Cause no one knows where she is. They suspect the worst cause there is no trace of her and you were the last person seen with her.

(Spoiler)

• edited May 2018

I guess. If that's the case then I think the characters are overreacting. No body equals no trace of murder and means no reason to accuse. If it were me i'd do a missing persons search before I accused anyone of murder.

Cause no one knows where she is. They suspect the worst cause there is no trace of her and you were the last person seen with her.

• I can't remember if that is exactly what they said cause I did three different play through's haha but it is reasonable for them to be worried considering how unstable she is and considering Sarah has disappeared too. Making her the second disappearance.

I hope Emma Hillsborough shows up in episode 3 though. They sort of glossed over her fate after getting shot.

I guess. If that's the case then I think the characters are overreacting. No body equals no trace of murder and means no reason to accuse. If it were me i'd do a missing persons search before I accused anyone of murder.

• There's no body, she just disappears and they accuse you of murder because you were with her last. You get out of it by explaining that she left because she was terrified of Louis' mother

(Spoiler)

• edited May 2018

Is the episode released yet? Can’t find it on the PS store. And as I say that I find it in the add ons.

• Just started the new episode on my alternate play-through and it's already much better. Instead of an easy, 5 minute confrontation proclaiming my innocence I get a 20 minute investigation in which I search Elizabeth's room and interrogate all the guests in their own rooms, adding some much needed character interaction I felt was lacking in my first play-though as well as new environments. Looks like the rest of the episode is shaping up to be similar however

• edited May 2018

I feel like with this episode they wanted to inject more puzzle solving and investigations to set up some big revelations in episode 3. There is going to be, I imagine a big around the table council discussion in the next episode.

BTW who do you reckon that was who appears if you were late in finding the dead servant? It looked like the legs of another servant imo.

(Spoiler)

• I didn't know you could be late finding the dead servant, I got the same ending each time even when I tried to fail to puzzle repeatedly. How do you get the different ending?

I feel like with this episode they wanted to inject more puzzle solving and investigations to set up some big revelations in episode 3. There is going to be, I imagine a big around the table council discussion in the next episode. (Spoiler)

• edited May 2018

It depends on whether you try to snoop on the priest/wolner or continue investigating your mother's disappearance. It determines who shows up.

(Spoiler)

• edited May 2018

That's odd, in my first play-through I didn't eavesdrop and in my second I did but >! Sarah appeared each time

Edit: Just figured it out, it's determined on whether or not you get locked in Mortimer's secret study

It depends on whether you try to snoop on the priest/wolner or continue investigating your mother's disappearance. It determines who shows up.

• edited May 2018

I only did one playthrough where I eavesdropped and

Sarah didn't appear maybe it's cause I messed up the puzzle once before getting it right. Like I put the sword in the minotaur first. Also got trapped in Mortimers secret room in that playthrough.

That's odd, in my first play-through I didn't eavesdrop and in my second I did but >! Sarah appeared each time Edit: Just figured it out, it's determined on whether or not you get locked in Mortimer's secret study

• Am I having to read all the Bible verses in the room filled with disciple paintings to get out of the room?

• You're not suppose to read all of them the paintings/text will give you clues to where the next

hidden message is then each hidden message contains a clue at the end on how to find the next one.

(Spoiler)

• Peru question

At the end of the second chapter (The nightmare) it says I could have met Peru under strange circumstances under the alternative paths list. Where/how exactly? I went back and went around the entire place and couldn’t find him anywhere.

• Thanks!

You're not suppose to read all of them the paintings/text will give you clues to where the next (Spoiler)

• You have to fail at unlocking Mortimer's secret door from the inside, meaning you become trapped. Peru shows up and lets you out. This is also what allows you to get the alternate ending of this episode, because you're late to your mother's meeting so she doesn't show up.

Peru question (Spoiler)

Sign in to comment in this discussion.