"Monkeyisland104.exe has stopped working"

edited May 2010 in Game Support
hey i just finished downloading episode four and whenever i try to launch the game i immediately get the message "Monkeyisland104.exe has stopped working" with these problem details

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: MonkeyIsland104.exe
Application Version: 2009.10.29.36411
Application Timestamp: 4aea17bb
Fault Module Name: MonkeyIsland104.exe
Fault Module Version: 2009.10.29.36411
Fault Module Timestamp: 4aea17bb
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0017d9b8
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.2
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: e17d
Additional Information 2: 3be9f8a50bddd4313bd572f57066c49b
Additional Information 3: 81dc
Additional Information 4: aa162d78020c3d2d8202ca7dabeada06

any halp would be appreciated P.S im running vista Basic and have already tried reinstalling

Comments

• edited October 2009
    I'd start with Windows Update to make sure you have all patches and also check for driver updates for your video & sound cards. DirectX should have updated itself (if necessary) providing you left that option selected when you installed the game.

Could also try a reboot but that doesn't always fix everything.

Did the other 3 chapters work okay?
  • edited October 2009
    yeah the other 3 chapters worked fine, ive already checked directx and all my drivers are up to date. I even redownloaded and installed from that and no luck
  • edited October 2009
    Could maybe try running compatibility mode?

If everything else is up-to-date and you've tried a reboot, I don't know much else you could try. Maybe disable virus software during install and/or during gameplay.

You could also run a virus scan, but I'd say that seems unlikely.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2009
    Do the other three chapters STILL work fine?
  • edited October 2009
    hah damn i shouldve checked on that first but theyre not working so it must be a problem on my end
    edited October 2009
    In that case, try updating DirectX again, try updating your drivers, and then failing those, try a clean boot:

To Boot Clean in Windows Vista

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Is your display color depth set to 32 bit?
  • edited October 2009
    a clean reboot had no effect, thanks for the idea though and how would i set it to 32 bit?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2009
    patrick206 wrote: »
    a clean reboot had no effect, thanks for the idea though and how would i set it to 32 bit?

Here's a tutorial.
  • edited October 2009
    Don't know if you have resolved this or not, but if you have installed any other software or windows updates since TOMI last worked, you can also try a System Restore. You may need to reinstall chapter 4 afterwards though.
  • edited October 2009
    Same problem here... Nothing is working.
  • edited October 2009
    Also, I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling, redownloading, reinstalling, restarting, and I've checked Spinner Cay and Lair of the Leviathan and they worked fine. TOMI4 just keeps crashing at startup....
  • edited October 2009
    Had the same problem here, new chapter crashed at startup. Setting to 32 bit color depth helped. Thanks for the advice !
  • edited October 2009
    got the same problem, none of your suggestions worked.
    i'm using win7, updated direct x, graphix driver and all that jazz but still the same error on startup :(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2009
    GeeTom wrote: »
    got the same problem, none of your suggestions worked.
    i'm using win7, updated direct x, graphix driver and all that jazz but still the same error on startup :(

I can take a look at your dxdiag information.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then e.g. zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited October 2009
    alright, uploaded the dxdiag.
    I appreciate your help :)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2009
    alright, uploaded the dxdiag.
    I appreciate your help :)

First. Do the Episodes 1-3 swork on your current system?

Otherwise there are some things you could try:
    - Disable your second display in the driver settings
    - Disconnect the XBox360 Controller and other non essential USB devices
    - Install the Realtek HDA Drivers instead of the Microsoft ones you have now
  • edited October 2009
    okay I tested episode 3 and it worked, then I activated window-mode for ep.3 and this option was carried over to ep. 4 which now starts properly x_X
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2009
    okay I tested episode 3 and it worked, then I activated window-mode for ep.3 and this option was carried over to ep. 4 which now starts properly x_X

So it runs windowed but not full screen?
    I think i saw that before, but i don't remember if there was a fix.

You could try the DirectX Web updater.
    Otherwise search the forum for "windowed". Maybe you find it.
  • edited October 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    So it runs windowed but not full screen?
    I think i saw that before, but i don't remember if there was a fix.
    *cough* :D
  • edited October 2009
    patrick206 wrote: »
    hey i just finished downloading episode four and whenever i try to launch the game i immediately get the message "Monkeyisland104.exe has stopped working" with these problem details

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: MonkeyIsland104.exe
    Application Version: 2009.10.29.36411
    Application Timestamp: 4aea17bb
    Fault Module Name: MonkeyIsland104.exe
    Fault Module Version: 2009.10.29.36411
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4aea17bb
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0017d9b8
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.2
    Locale ID: 4105
    Additional Information 1: e17d
    Additional Information 2: 3be9f8a50bddd4313bd572f57066c49b
    Additional Information 3: 81dc
    Additional Information 4: aa162d78020c3d2d8202ca7dabeada06

any halp would be appreciated P.S im running vista Basic and have already tried reinstalling

Same here! Please help! Very frustrating
  • edited November 2009
    Hey everyone,

I hate to just add to the pile of problems posted here, but i'm basically experiencing the same issue here. I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and was able to install and play Episode 3. After I downloaded and installed Episode 4, none of the currently installed episodes were working. I don't get any error messages or anything, nothing happens. I'm currently updated to the latest version of my videocard drivers and also upgraded to the latest DirectX definitions. I also tried a clean boot, reinstalled all episodes, but no luck.
    If I start an episode (does not matter which one), I get the splash-screen but when I click "Launch Game", the splash-screen disappears and nothing happens.

The only thing I've managed to figure out so far is that in the taskmanager I can stop the current Monkey Island-ep application. If I then try to start the game again, not even the splash-screen will appear.
    System Information
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: System Product Name
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
    Memory: 3072MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3070MB RAM
    Page File: 1405MB used, 4734MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode
  • edited November 2009
    Having the same problem here on a fully up to date win7 machine. Episode 3 plays without a problem in fullscreen mode, but Ep4 will crash just after the screen goes black. I've set the windowed mode option in Ep3 and tried starting Ep4: worked like a charm. Sadly, changing the screen to fullscreen again causes the same crash.

After installing win7 (not upgraded) I reinstalled Ep3 and then copied the old TellTaleGames folder from my Vista installation (My Documents). Seemed to work without a problem for Ep3, I could continue to finish my game. One odd thing I did notice in Ep4 though, is that the hint setting was set back to default, whilst I had it turned off before. Oh, and subtitles gone too. I thought previously it would remember these settings?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    arsp wrote: »
    Sadly, changing the screen to fullscreen again causes the same crash.

Just out of curiosity:
    Have you tried it in Graphics Quality Level 1 and lower resolutions?
    Maybe that will help finding out more about it.
  • edited November 2009
    Just out of curiosity:
    Have you tried it in Graphics Quality Level 1 and lower resolutions?
    Maybe that will help finding out more about it.

I've set it to 1, went back to main menu, then back to set full screen. It goes full screen, then crashes again.
  • edited November 2009
    I posted a link to my other thread above after it was referenced, but since nobody seems to have noticed it (am I being too subtle?) - have you tried setting the "Disable visual themes" compatibility setting on the game's executable before launching it?
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I still do think it's weird that the previous episodes all have functioned fine at first, but now (after installing Episode 4) I cannot play any of them. :confused:

I removed all of them, as well as the registry entries for each episode. I'll try to install the latest episode again tonight, as well as using your method. Thanks in advance!
  • edited November 2009
    Re: Leak's Method of Disabling Visual Themes in the Properties tab:

Did not work. I think I'm going to mail this to the telltale support. But thanks anyway for helping out. I'll keep an eye on this thread should anything else pop up that I might try.
  • edited November 2009
    never had a problem with telltale ever. episode 4 crashed, now none of my monkey island's work. i do not know what is going on!
    edited November 2009
    How far did you get into Ep4 before it crashed?
  • edited November 2009
    sori to be a pain but this is happening on my pc too which i bought today....this is also a windows 7 os details

intell atom processor i.g7 Ghz 1Gig ram 32 bit operating system non of the other episodes work on this laptop either
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    timben10 wrote: »
    sori to be a pain but this is happening on my pc too which i bought today....this is also a windows 7 os details

What have you tried already?
    There are some general suggestions in this thread you should try.
    (32 bit color depth, msconfig, directx)
  • edited November 2009
    What have you tried already?
    There are some general suggestions in this thread you should try.
    (32 bit color depth, msconfig, directx)

my color depth is 32 and i have updated the drivers...can u talk me me through the msconfig?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    timben10 wrote: »
    my color depth is 32 and i have updated the drivers...can u talk me me through the msconfig?

I don't know if it's the same for Windows 7, but you will see.

Msconfig for Windows Vista:

6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

3. Click Ok

Based on Will's post
  • edited November 2009
    I don't know if it's the same for Windows 7, but you will see.

Msconfig for Windows Vista:

6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.

3. Click Ok

Based on Will's post

have tried this but still no joy....downloaded other mi and the same happens
  • edited November 2009
    Cannot start MI4 at all, tried Windows XP and Windows 7 on Macbook Pro 13" latest model with directx and all drivers updated. Also tried in Parallels but no luck.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    I'm starting to think this one is beyond me. It's probably a good idea if you write to support@telltalegames.com as well.
    But i'll keep on trying for now.

@almasov
    have you tried the above things?

@almasov and timben10

Please give us some system information:

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then e.g. zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited November 2009
    Hi everyone,

Maybe this is some kind of solution. I got it from the telltale helpdesk after I got stuck trying to start the eps as well.

Start Monkey Island Ep of your choice.

Wait for the "Wrapper" to appear (that's Telltale-lingo for Gamelauncher apparently). Now, hold ctrl + shift and press it down twice. This clears your login data.

I just pressed it down a couple of times, pressed launch game, and presto, it launched like a Screaming Narwhal.

Hope this is of any use to you peeps! Good luck!
    edited November 2009
    Actually, it's Ctrl shift + and then ctrl shift -. That will clear out all of your wrapper login info.

As for Almasov, did you download the game once and then try transferring it to all of the different systems? If so, you might have gotten a corrupted download and then transferred it to all of the computers, which would explain why it isn't working on any of the systems.
  • edited May 2010
    Hi. When I try to run SOMI:SE I get the white rectangle and then the "stopped working" message. Running Windows Vista with DirectX 11 on GeForge 8800 GTS 512MB. Display is my LCD HDTV (VGA connection) television running at 1920x1080 32-bit color. Tried some smaller resolutions. Tried compatibility mode for XP SP2 as well as "disable visual themes" "disable desktop composition" and "disable display scaling on high DPI settings". No love. Turned off all the Norton Internet Security protections too. Oh and I have all the latest from Microsoft Update.

I see in the forum a couple people got it working in windowed mode by downloading a prefs file but I haven't gotten into the game so I don't have a "My Documents/Telltale Games/<Name of game>" folder to put it in.

Please help and thanks! Attached dxdiag output.
This discussion has been closed.