Travesty or Bargain?

edited January 2010 in Sam & Max
I went to work on Friday and was browsing the computer games when I found Sam and Max Hit the Road for not $15, not $10 but AU$5!! Naturally I bought it, but...

That's US$4.42! 2.74 pounds! Or 3.09 Euros!

So anyway, who thinks its sad that this great game is going for this cheap? And who thinks its great? I think its a bit of both.

But, unfortunately, I can't play it yet because my mum spent $30 on eBay on a copy of this for Xmas! So I'm keeping it in case the eBay copy doesn't work, and then I'm selling it on eBay.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    It's a bargain. Older games always sell for less money, and Hit the Road is hard to find in Australia. It's not a travesty at all.
  • edited December 2009
    Bargin. Just add ScummVM, and it should work like a charm on any PC.
  • edited December 2009
    Yeah, bargain. Old games sell for much less, no matter how classic they are.
  • edited December 2009
    I personally think it's about the right price. Don't flame me or anything, but the game is 16 years old. Considering the advancements made in technology since them and their price, such a basic looking game would only really sell at that price. I'm not saying that it's bad because it's old, (i personally prefer many older game to new ones), it's just that paying much more than that would be a bit of a ripoff.

I would probably pay £5 for it tops nowadays.
  • edited December 2009
    Friar wrote: »
    the game is 16 years old.

Way to make me feel old. Ok, I wasn't exactly playing it at the age of 2/3, but the idea that 1993 was sixteen years ago just seems depressing.

At least I can say that The Secret of Monkey Island came out before I was born and make other people feel old :D

Anyway, back on topic, I found a Sam and Max/Day of the Tentacle double pack in a UK Gamestation for £3.99 in 2004 and bought it, being an avid fan of Monkey Island and having heard good things about the games. One of the best purchases I ever made :) and so continued my love affair with adventure games...

I was born in 1990 by the way. I'm nineteen, first year of university. :cool: Out of interest, how old are other Sam and Max fans? There may have been a thread in a similar vein before but don't flame me :confused:
  • edited December 2009
    Well there was a thread in the general chat forum asking about the first game you played, etc. and there've been threads polling ages before as well. I hate to break it to you, cettefemme, but you're actually a youngster for these here forums. The median age seems to be something like 30. At least for the forums in general.
  • edited December 2009
    Its just a shame people go by the age of games and not the quality of the content...
  • edited December 2009
    Its just a shame people go by the age of games and not the quality of the content...

I feel your pain
  • edited December 2009
    The CD Version is also includes a few of the titles off the soundtrack.
  • edited December 2009
    cettefemme wrote: »
    Way to make me feel old. Ok, I wasn't exactly playing it at the age of 2/3, but the idea that 1993 was sixteen years ago just seems depressing.

At least I can say that The Secret of Monkey Island came out before I was born and make other people feel old :D

Anyway, back on topic, I found a Sam and Max/Day of the Tentacle double pack in a UK Gamestation for £3.99 in 2004 and bought it, being an avid fan of Monkey Island and having heard good things about the games. One of the best purchases I ever made :) and so continued my love affair with adventure games...

I was born in 1990 by the way. I'm nineteen, first year of university. :cool: Out of interest, how old are other Sam and Max fans? There may have been a thread in a similar vein before but don't flame me :confused:

Well, i'm 18, and i would consider myself on the road to becoming a S&M fan.
  • edited December 2009
    Out of interest, how old are other Sam and Max fans?
    I'm twenty.
  • edited December 2009
    Personally, I'm upset it wasnt $19.99 because it was an awesome game, but reliaty sets in and I'll say I'm suprised it wasnt $9.99 bundled with 2 other LA adventures...

You want old? a movie I loved as a kid just released it's 20th aniversay edition!

as for me, I'm almost 25 (will be in March)
  • edited December 2009
    A travesty is paying 5 dollars for a digital copy of the NES version of Donkey Kong.

Old, mass produced and often reprinted games that turned profit years ago have no real justification to be highly priced. I don't know what it is with the mentality of gamers but they always seem eager to overpay and be ripped off. It's as if paying more money for something increases the worth of it to them.

Bargain.
  • edited December 2009
    I see it everywhere for 10 bucks. Same with alot of Lucasarts games.
  • edited December 2009
    Yeah, Activision released them in UK Aus & NZ a few years back, and they're still floating around. They tend to retail here for NZ$7 to $20. They've been updated to run on XP/Vista too.

lecclassics.jpg

This is more of a travesty / bargain - 4 LucasArts classic adventure bundle for US$2.49.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2102/
  • edited December 2009
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Yeah, Activision released them in UK Aus & NZ a few years back, and they're still floating around. They tend to retail here for NZ$7 to $20. They've been updated to run on XP/Vista too.

lecclassics.jpg

This is more of a travesty / bargain - 4 LucasArts classic adventure bundle for US$2.49.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2102/

you can also get them from abandonware sites free. LA refuses to make a stance on wheather they are pirated (any press is good press) some of the sites acctually wrote LA and asked "is it ok that we post these?" and LA never wrote them back --- several sites...
  • edited December 2009
    Why would you steal them when they can be bought so cheaply? Whether or not LucasArts replied doesn't have any bearing on at all. Their copyright exists, and the sites have no rght to distribute them. Simple as that.
  • edited December 2009
    Ashton wrote: »
    you can also get them from abandonware sites free. LA refuses to make a stance on wheather they are pirated (any press is good press) some of the sites acctually wrote LA and asked "is it ok that we post these?" and LA never wrote them back --- several sites...
    Abandonware =/= freeware. For example, if i was to go into a supermarket and ask the person at the till if it was ok to just take 10 apples, and they didn't reply (due to being too busy/ not hearing) Does that make it ok?
  • edited December 2009
    The genneral concensus is LA doesnt care and doesnt want bad press.

If they said "yes, it's free" then they lose their (C), but if they say no, they get bad publicity. The fact they are not answering numerous requests is a silent "yes" that is still letting hte keep their (C). If you want to try and say otherwise, go ahead, but think about it from a marketing point of view; it makes sence (and I'm sure LA would have responded to atleast one of the dozens of letters saying "no" if they wanted to make sure their property was protected - several game makers did)
  • edited December 2009
    The genneral concensus is LA doesnt care and doesnt want bad press.

If they said "yes, it's free" then they lose their (C), but if they say no, they get bad publicity. The fact they are not answering numerous requests is a silent "yes" that is still letting hte keep their (C). If you want to try and say otherwise, go ahead, but think about it from a marketing point of view; it makes sence (and I'm sure LA would have responded to atleast one of the dozens of letters saying "no" if they wanted to make sure their property was protected - several game makers did)

Maybe i guess. I still don't see how it would be seen as bad publicity to deny those websites of the games. They may hate them for it, but LA wouldn't loose any money in doing so. In fact they would gain the money by forcing people to buy the game. But then different people see things in different ways.
  • edited December 2009
    Maybe i guess. I still don't see how it would be seen as bad publicity to deny those websites of the games. They may hate them for it, but LA wouldn't loose any money in doing so. In fact they would gain the money by forcing people to buy the game. But then different people see things in different ways.

partly because Untill recently these games were impossible to find. Also the mindset of the fans is "well your not making any money off them now, so what's the harm?" (which was true while they were out of production) so the fans never get to experiance the game, which could have won over somone to guy a new game from them, and also LA is viewed as stingy because they wont let go of soemthing that's essentially jsut sitting around gatheirng dust waiting to be thrown out.

Now that the games are on STEAM and in some retail markets again, I would agree with the ideologoy that they should not give them away.
  • edited December 2009
    partly because Untill recently these games were impossible to find. Also the mindset of the fans is "well your not making any money off them now, so what's the harm?" (which was true while they were out of production) so the fans never get to experiance the game, which could have won over somone to guy a new game from them, and also LA is viewed as stingy because they wont let go of soemthing that's essentially jsut sitting around gatheirng dust waiting to be thrown out.

Now that the games are on STEAM and in some retail markets again, I would agree with the ideologoy that they should not give them away.
    Ah, okay, i see where you are coming from now.
  • edited December 2009
    If they said "yes, it's free" then they lose their (C), but if they say no, they get bad publicity. The fact they are not answering numerous requests is a silent "yes" that is still letting hte keep their (C).
    No, they absolutely would not. You don't have to defend the market value of copyright the same way you do with a Trademark. You don't lose it for releasing something for free and there's nothing to stop you from releasing something for free and then turn around later and selling it, unless you're specifically releasing software into one of the many different "freeware" licenses. Even still, those licenses fall under copyright and not public domain.

Abandonware doesn't really exist.
  • edited December 2009
    riappi wrote: »
    Abandonware doesn't really exist.

Now that's just a lie. Wheather (C) laws deal with it are anotehr matter, but it certainly exists. LOTS of companies give sites the right to redistribute their anchient games for free (often even giving them the copy-protection codes) just for hte publicity. I think abandonia acctually seeks permission for their games and more than a few companies reply affermative to their requests.

EDIT:
    and I appoligize if I was wrong about (C) laws, I'm very fuzzy on intalectual property rights
  • edited December 2009
    The games aren't "abandoned" if the owner gives you permission to download them for free. Basically, copyright gives the copyright owner the right to do whatever they like with their property. If it enters the public domain, which is an issue I doubt will come up with video games for years since I'm assuming they follow the same 75 years rule as other intellectual properties do, then anyone has the right to do with that property as they like. This is in regards only to story and character, not code or engine or any technological things like that. Now I know that video games are handled differently when it comes to copyright, and I'm not sure how they are handled, but I guarantee you, not reprinting a game is no legal excuse for pirating it. The copyright holder has the right to publish a game or not as they see fit.
  • edited December 2009
    Now that's just a lie. Wheather (C) laws deal with it are anotehr matter, but it certainly exists.
    To be more clear, it isn't a legal term associated with copyright or otherwise.
  • edited December 2009
    Lena_P wrote: »
    The games aren't "abandoned" if the owner gives you permission to download them for free.

No, the term has nothing to do with that. "Abandonware" is software that the creator has not updated in an excessivly long time (usually because they move on to another piece of software ala LA and S+M/MI/etc) they do not seek to re-release it, nor continue to produce it. In short they abandoned the franchise. Plenty of abandonware *is* still being watched and the owners will not give permission to make it avalible for free, however it is still an abandoned franchise for whatever reason.
  • edited December 2009
    The term does have something to do with that since people often confuse "trademark" with "copyright". If the owner of a trademark does not actively protect their trademark it will be considered that they've abandoned it so it falls into the public domain. This is why Marvel and DC sue anyone who tries to use the term "superhero" to sell their comics. (Whether or not they should have the right to trademark the term "superhero" is an entirely different argument.)

Copyright holders have control of their copyrighted property regardless of whether they defend it or not. Not prosecuting someone for infringing their rights does not mean they have abandoned their property and lost the rights to it. It's actually an important legal distinction. LA does not have to respond to letters from websites that upload their games. By not giving permission for those sites to host their games for downloads they are implicitly not allowing it, not the other way around, since the only way those websites could legally host the games would be by being given explicit consent from LA to do so. If LA does not, it is piracy.
  • edited January 2010
    Abandonware =/= freeware. For example, if i was to go into a supermarket and ask the person at the till if it was ok to just take 10 apples, and they didn't reply (due to being too busy/ not hearing) Does that make it ok?

The difference there I guess is that those apples are still for sale. If they left a box of old apples outside by the backdoor that they had no intention of selling I'm sure they'd let you take them.

Buuuut now digital distribution is so popular companies are rethinking their stance on their back catalogue - obviously The Dig is on Steam and I'm pretty sure the other three will find their way there eventually.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.