New Season, Professional Season, New Logo? Pro Logo?

edited January 2010 in Sam & Max
Here's the current logo:

samandmaxnonpro.png

And here's a more professional looking one I made with Motel King and Word 2010 Beta in 20 seconds:

samandmaxpro-1.png

What do people think? I think if Season 3 is going to be epic it could work.

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    I don't know if Apple Glossy Plastic is the way to go with the logo! The treatment will surely be tweaked up a bit from the old Season One logo, but probably in the direction of Flatter, not Shinier.
  • edited January 2010
    more professional looking
    I hope that's a joke... cause if it is, it's a good one :)
  • edited January 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    I don't know if Apple Glossy Plastic is the way to go with the logo! The treatment will surely be tweaked up a bit from the old Season One logo, but probably in the direction of Flatter, not Shinier.

So it's changing? Colour too?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    So it's changing? Colour too?

It changed for Season Two to a flat, unshaded yellow-greenish color. The actual typography isn't going to change, but the treatment always does.
  • edited January 2010
    Here's the current logo:

(Image)

And here's a more professional looking one I made with Motel King and Word 2010 Beta in 20 seconds:

(Image)

What do people think? I think if Season 3 is going to be epic it could work.
    I honestly can't tell the difference.
  • edited January 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    The treatment will surely be tweaked up a bit from the old Season One logo, but probably in the direction of Flatter, not Shinier.

Why? Everyone loves shine! You can just give us a lens flare for a logo and we'll most likely buy it anyway. Why the extra work?
  • edited January 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    Why? Everyone loves shine! You can just give us a lens flare for a logo and we'll most likely buy it anyway. Why the extra work?

Besides the fact we're already coming up with logos even though we know absolutely nothing about the game?

For the record I like the black version of the logo.
  • edited January 2010
    You say "modern", I say "overused in the current market by unoriginal graphics artists fresh out of college". But I'm splitting hairs.

Let's suppose it is "modern", and an "epic" story should feature a modern-style logo. Let's forget that most epics take place in the time of Romans and Greeks.

The problem with these assumptions, other than that they're somewhat suspect on their own, is that Sam and Max aren't modern. Look at their office. Look at their phone. Look at Sam's clothing. They're cartoons in detective noir skin, in a world of cartoony exaggerations. Modern is not the way to go.
  • edited January 2010
    Most epics take place in the time of the "Romans and Greeks"? Those ... aren't even the same time, and their epics don't all take place at the same time either. And epics have nothing to do with any one period in time. I mean, Gilgamesh was like, 1500 years before Troy, which was 200 years before Homer, and Beowulf was created about 1600 years after that.

But yeah, when did "shiny, modern" ever have anything to do with Sam and Max? It's a comic that regularly features rats and 'roaches.
  • edited January 2010
    Black and white doesn't say professional to me, it says bland and faceless.
  • edited January 2010
    If you want it epic, use Trajan.

'Nuff said.
  • edited January 2010
    I saw put it in an Old English Script!

...what? Didnt Sam-with-a-'tash look english to you?
  • edited January 2010
    Black and white doesn't say professional to me, it says bland and faceless.

Our Noir, but I wonder what the new color will be...hmmmmm...
  • edited January 2010
    It's not professional, but it looks hip and everything. Black and while looks a little outer space-y that may fit with the storyline of S3.

EDIT: Nvm, it's just half grey and half black. First logo wins. I didn't really pay attention when I first looked at it.
  • edited January 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Most epics take place in the time of the "Romans and Greeks"? Those ... aren't even the same time, and their epics don't all take place at the same time either.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, I really meant OR. I know at least a very basic layout of human history, that was just the wrong word.
    And epics have nothing to do with any one period in time. I mean, Gilgamesh was like, 1500 years before Troy, which was 200 years before Homer, and Beowulf was created about 1600 years after that.
    Haha. When you put it that way, it does sound foolish, and it probably is. I mean that we don't really have "modern" epics. The closest I can think of is "Star Wars", and that is basically a samurai/medieval knight story dressed in a sci-fi skin, with some WWII airplane fighter combat tossed in for good measure.

And on top of that, the point was mostly ancillary to my main argument anyway.
    But yeah, when did "shiny, modern" ever have anything to do with Sam and Max? It's a comic that regularly features rats and 'roaches.
    Maybe we should throw some dirt and grime onto the logo, then? :D
    Icedhope wrote: »
    Our Noir, but I wonder what the new color will be...hmmmmm...
    The glossy "wow that piece of consumer electronics sucks the oil off my fingers from across the room and gets smudged two seconds after getting pulled out of the box" shine doesn't work for Noir. We'd need more of a grainy shadow, rather than a glossy shine. And because they're bright cartoon Noir rather than Noir, black and white probably won't work, they're too bright and colorful.
  • edited January 2010
    I mean that we don't really have "modern" epics.

Kidnapped
    could be considered a "modern" epic in that it's a long story loosely based on real people where a lot of stuff happens, but most of it's pretty unimportant in the long run and it's better heard aloud then read. Plus I find it boring, definite sign of an epic!
    Maybe we should throw some dirt and grime onto the logo, then? :D

And old paper cups, yes, yes.
  • edited January 2010
    you make me wonder if LOST would be considered a modern Epic... it sure as hell has enough symbolism and length to it!
  • edited January 2010
    I think the closest thing to a modern epic would be Lord of the Rings.
  • edited January 2010
    You say "modern", I say "overused in the current market by unoriginal graphics artists fresh out of college". But I'm splitting hairs.

Let's suppose it is "modern", and an "epic" story should feature a modern-style logo. Let's forget that most epics take place in the time of Romans and Greeks.

The problem with these assumptions, other than that they're somewhat suspect on their own, is that Sam and Max aren't modern. Look at their office. Look at their phone. Look at Sam's clothing. They're cartoons in detective noir skin, in a world of cartoony exaggerations. Modern is not the way to go.

I never said modern.
  • edited January 2010
    I think the closest thing to a modern epic would be Lord of the Rings.
    Forget that; try the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Some 10.000 pages when the last book arrives, mortals thwarting the plans of the gods and getting away with it, an impressively vast history behind it, huge armies and battles, etcetera etcetera.
  • edited January 2010

Shh now.

Sam & Max are NOT Web 2.0. Get a grip.

Oh wait... you made it in 20 seconds? In that case, of course it's more professional. I imagine you would normal charge about £500,000 for that level of branding work. I stand corrected, how fantastic you are able to do Telltale's job for them.
  • edited January 2010
    I mean that we don't really have "modern" epics. The closest I can think of is "Star Wars"

But star Wars takes place even BEFORE all those other things that were named! It's not modern at all.

Oh, wait, did you mean "modern" as in "it was made in modern times"? Because if that's what you meant, Star Wars isn't modern, it's contemporary. Something like the Three Musketeers would be modern.
    But I digress.
  • edited January 2010
    Hey, if you didn't like the logo, you didn't like the logo, but that's no excuse to get snippy. Chill, and have a lemonade or hot cocoa or something.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Chill, and have a lemonade or hot cocoa or something.

Definitely got to be lemonade for chillin'. But hot cocoa is perfect for getting warm and snuggly.
  • edited January 2010
    Well, I realized some people might not want "chill" per se, what with the massive snow storms over Europe and North America and what not. Still, I do love me my lemonade with a touch of mint. So refreshing!
  • edited January 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Definitely got to be lemonade for chillin'. But hot cocoa is perfect for getting warm and snuggly.

ugh... lemonade is horrible... give me a nice coke and whiskey... though on codl days hot coacoa *is* good...
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    My choice would be ginger beer for cooling off... as for "soothing", there's nothing else on Earth like a milky mug of English Breakfast tea.
  • edited January 2010
    Ashton wrote: »
    ugh... lemonade is horrible... give me a nice coke and whiskey... though on codl days hot coacoa *is* good...

I like lemonade... wait do you mean American lemonade that's the staple income of suburban kids everywhere, made with real lemons and sugar? Or UK lemonade, made mostly from artificial flavours, preservatives... and sugar?
  • edited January 2010
    Zonino wrote: »
    I like lemonade... wait do you mean American lemonade that's the staple income of suburban kids everywhere, made with real lemons and sugar? Or UK lemonade, made mostly from artificial flavours, preservatives... and sugar?

The one with Red Dye #2 and battery acid.

Lemonade is awesome though, easy to make and it's taste is ogod awesome.
  • edited January 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    The one with Red Dye #2 and battery acid.

Lemonade is awesome though, easy to make and it's taste is ogod awesome.

That's right, if there isn't even a small chance of getting some form of cancer, it's not lemonade.

I've never made or tasted home made lemonade, so I'll have to take your word for it.
  • edited January 2010
    I've got to a point where I was making my own soda. It sucked though. Also, lemonade don't taste that well when you don't personally make it. Lemonade, and an awesome liquid yoghurt beverage we make here.
  • edited January 2010
    Lemonade is great in summer. I always make my own, although I don't squeeze the lemons, I get lemon or lime juice from the store. Add water and a bit of sugar and you're done, that's pretty easy.
    The less sugar you put in it, the more refreshing it is. In my opinion.

Cocoa is tasty too, especially with almond milk. Although oats milk goes well with it too, it's like liquid mudpies.
  • edited January 2010
    This was a terrible idea. I was so tired when I posted this. is there some way everyone can forget this? Can Max use his new psychic powers on us all?
  • edited January 2010
    That depends on whether he has memory erasure powers, or head explosion powers. Personally, I'd rather not take the chance.
  • edited January 2010
    I've made a few logos in my day. Fun stuff.

As for Sam & Max, I was a big fan of the version back on the Season 1 website, with the wood panel background and the sort of badge-shaped line art around it. At least I think it was on the Season 1 website.
  • edited January 2010
    Motel King doesn't really fit. And the gloss effect is sooo cheapo-80s.
  • edited January 2010
    Damn this is kinda late in the thread, but I would think that the most obvious "Modern Epic" would be World War Two...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.