Could not initialize direct3D and error message

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2008
    Unfortunately you may just be out of luck. The intel chipset is on the low end and it may just not support the game. Send an email into support and we can get you a refund.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2008
    Yep, the Intel video you have is on this list, and integrated video on this list usually won't work with our games. Sorry. :(
  • edited November 2008
    good thing i can just use 3danalyze!
    How could I get the game to launch directly, without the launcher?
    If I could do that, I could run the game fine.
    or maybe i could get new AGP chipsets?
  • edited November 2008
    The launcher is part of the game engine, they can't be separated. It also means that getting rid of it wouldn't do you any good anyway, since D3D is being initialized for the game's renderer, not the launcher.

Your best courses of action at this point are a new video card if you can, or we can refund your game for you, as Will said.
  • edited November 2008
    I purchased the CSI: Hard Evidence for my PC. I'm running Windows XP Pro. I'm getting the error message: could not initialize direct3d. I go to my Direct Diagnostic Tool and this is the information I have.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional
    System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+, MMX, 3DNow, 2.1GHz
    Direct X Version: DirectX 9.0c

I click the Test Direct3D button on the Display tab and I get the following error message:

Test failed at Step 8 (Creating 3d Device): HRESULT = 0080004005 (Generic Failure)

Can someone please assist me? I can't take the software back to the store and I can't find my receipt to request a refunt from UBISOFT.
  • edited November 2008
    What video card do you have?
  • edited November 2008
    Thanks for the quick response!

I just went to my Device Manager and looked under Display Adapters and I only found the following items:

All-In-Wonder 9600 Series

So, does that mean I don't have a Video Card on my computer? I know it came with one. How can I check to see if the PC is just not recognizing the Video Card?
  • edited November 2008
    Thanks for the quick response!

I just went to my Device Manager and looked under Display Adapters and I only found the following items:

All-In-Wonder 9600 Series

So, does that mean I don't have a Video Card on my computer? I know it came with one. How can I check to see if the PC is just not recognizing the Video Card?

That IS videocard actually, a combined one with TV-out, look: http://ati.amd.com/products/radeon9600/aiw9600/index.html

Since it's an Ati/Amd card I'd be inclined to blame the catalyst drivers but I'm not sure such an old card is supported by the game at all? New drivers can be found here: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/aiwradeonx-xp
  • edited November 2008
    So, if I'm to understand correctly, I follow the link you provided and choose to dowload the Catalyst Software Suite?

I want to be sure beause I don't want to download anything that is not needed. I noticed another link that says ATI Multimedia Software, am I to download that as well?
  • edited November 2008
    Yeah the 'Catalyst Software Suite' is enough for sure, I just can't be sure it will help you fix the problem. Don't know if your card is supported by the game at all, so you might want to wait a couple of hours and ask TT support about that.

If you're going to install new drivers, be sure to also run the dxsetup/directx install again. It is most likely included on the game disk. (order of tasks; install drivers, reboot, install directx)
  • edited December 2008
    How do I contact TT Support? I'm really new to this website.
  • edited December 2008
    How do I contact TT Support? I'm really new to this website.

This page covers all that: http://www.telltalegames.com/support/
  • edited December 2008
    I followed the link you provided. Whenever I click on one of the bulleted links a space appears below it but there isn't anything there. It's blank. I'm sure I'm supposed to be seeing an answer or another link or something.:confused:
    edited December 2008
    I'm TT Support. We actually do read and post on this forum, but apparently those of us who regularly read it were all on vacation at the same time. Whoops! For future reference, anyone with a little ttg logo next to their name is a Telltale employee.

The Catalyst Software Suite is your most likely solution, but if that doesn't work, you can also try updating your Direct X.
  • edited December 2008
    THANK YOU FPOSTMA! THANK YOU WILL!

The Catalyst Software Suite worked great. I ran into an issue that stated "the file tsbyuv.dll is needed", I was able to locate it to finish the installation. And now I know to look for the logo to search for TT Tech Support guys.

Again a big THANKS to both of you!
  • edited December 2008
    For the future, the best way to get support quickly is to email support@telltalegames.com -- that way the first available person will get to it, rather than PM'ing a specific person on the forums.
  • edited December 2008
    Well, I was told that the first place to look for an answer was within the forums. I did email TT Support and I'm actually still awaiting a response.
    edited December 2008
    If you have been waiting for more than 24 hours (with the possible exception of during a holiday weekend), we have probably already sent a reply. It would be a good idea to check your spam filter to make sure our email didn't get blocked.
  • edited December 2008
    i seem to be having the same problem with CSI: HE

I have the intel corporation 810 graphics controller hub,

but when i try to run the game it says that it "could not initialize Direct3D. Make sure you have current video Drivers and close other applications that might be running."

I ran the multiple test for Direct3d, the spinning box ect.. and they all passed.
    i really dont know why its not working. If i could get some help it would be much appreciated
  • edited December 2008
    same problem -- "could not initialize direct3D."

I have Windows XP.

I have a GEForce Video card. Direct3D version 9c is running. dx whatever that is says it is working fine on versions 7, 8, and 9, and I see the spinning cube just fine.

I don't know how to "roll back to old drivers.
  • edited December 2008
    "Geforce card" isn't very specific, what type/number is it? (e.g. 9900GT or such).

Nvidia/Gforce drivers rollback is simple, just install the older ones :) However on nvidia/gforce cards that's not always a solution. Did you (re)install directX after your latest driver upgrade/install?
  • edited August 2009
    I got a new graphics card, a nVidia geforce 9800, with all up to date drivers, and I still get the same error message. Now what?
  • edited August 2009
    Re-install directX ? (i.e. run dxsetup or the webbased installer)
  • edited August 2009
    fpostma wrote: »
    Re-install directX ? (i.e. run dxsetup or the webbased installer)

Done that, it reinstalled, but still no dice.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    LordErok wrote: »
    Done that, it reinstalled, but still no dice.

I took a look at it from the beginning. So basically you have exchanged your graphics card and still get the same error message.

Did you reinstall DirectX using the web installer or the full version (100MB)?
    If you are not sure, download and install the full version from here.

Meanwhile you could give us some information.
    Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible to us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    1. If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.
    2. You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
  • edited August 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    I took a look at it from the beginning. So basically you have exchanged your graphics card and still get the same error message.

Did you reinstall DirectX using the web installer or the full version (100MB)?
    If you are not sure, download and install the full version from here.

Meanwhile you could give us some information.
    Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now you have two options to make it accessible to us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    2. You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
    Where should I extract the full version to?
    http://rapidshare.com/files/271070882/DxDiag.txt.html
    It can only be downloaded 10 times, but here it is.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Where should I extract the full version to?
    http://rapidshare.com/files/271070882/DxDiag.txt.html
    It can only be downloaded 10 times, but here it is.

Just install it by running the setup. If it asks for a location to unpack first, just confirm what it proposes. That doesn't matter much and you can delete the folder afterwards.
  • edited August 2009
    Just install it by running the setup. If it asks for a location to unpack first, just confirm what it proposes. That doesn't matter much and you can delete the folder afterwards.

Well I reinstalled from the link, and it still doesnt work. Does the documentation tell you anything?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Well I reinstalled from the link, and it still doesnt work. Does the documentation tell you anything?

That's sad. Some drivers are a bit older. Here are some more things you could try.:

If that doesn't help try starting the game after a clean boot like this.

Msconfig for Windows Vista:
    To Boot Clean in Windows Vista

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited August 2009
    That's sad. Some drivers are a bit older. Here are some more things you could try.:

If that doesn't help try starting the game after a clean boot like this.

Msconfig for Windows Vista:
    To Boot Clean in Windows Vista

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post

I tried to disable my old graphics card using BIOs, and Windows Vista won't start. Can you help please? I'm afraid i may have to reinstall Vista.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    I tried to disable my old graphics card using BIOs, and Windows Vista won't start. Can you help please? I'm afraid i may have to reinstall Vista.

That is unexpected.
    Does it work again if you set it to its previous value?

What exactly did you do (name of the BIOS option and its setting) and what do you see when windows does not start? Any error message?
  • edited August 2009
    Hey i'm getting the same problem as well and its really annoying. i have a ATI Radeon HD 3800 series video card. Any suggestions. i've tried all the suggestions but nothing has worked so far
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    tamago wrote: »
    Hey i'm getting the same problem as well and its really annoying. i have a ATI Radeon HD 3800 series video card. Any suggestions. i've tried all the suggestions but nothing has worked so far

Hi there. Please list the things you already tried and give us the dxdiag info:

• edited August 2009
    That is unexpected.
    Does it work again if you set it to its previous value?

What exactly did you do (name of the BIOS option and its setting) and what do you see when windows does not start? Any error message?

I get a version of the BSOD
    I get this message:
    STOP c00021`A fatal system error
    The initial session process or system process terminated with a status of 0x0000000(0xc0000001 0x001004b0)
    The system has been shut down. Please help.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    I get a version of the BSOD
    I get this message:
    STOP c00021`A fatal system error
    The initial session process or system process terminated with a status of 0x0000000(0xc0000001 0x001004b0)
    The system has been shut down. Please help.

I feel bad now having "caused this". Would you please answer my other questions about the setting you changed? And what happens if you set it to the previous value?
  • edited August 2009
    I feel bad now having "caused this". Would you please answer my other questions about the setting you changed? And what happens if you set it to the previous value?

Don't feel bad,but it unfortunately doesn't work if set back to default and i don't remember what settings I changed, so its mostly my fault.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Don't feel bad,but it unfortunately doesn't work if set back to default and i don't remember what settings I changed, so its mostly my fault.

Oh, you changed multiple settings? It should have been just one for the graphics chip.

You can try going back into the BIOS and loading the default values. Can't be worse.
    You might as well try pressing F8 during boot and starting Windows in safe mode. If you get there uninstall the graphics drivers.
  • edited August 2009
    Don't worry, I just realized there is nothing on my computer I can't get back. I'll just reinstall Vista
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Don't worry, I just realized there is nothing on my computer I can't get back. I'll just reinstall Vista

I am relieved.
    Let's hope that the game works too then.
  • edited August 2009
    I am relieved.
    Let's hope that the game works too then.
    I hope so too..
This discussion has been closed.