Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventure for PC

CydCyd
edited November 2011 in Game Support
I purchased the four episode game today at Best Buy. I am playing FRIGHT OF THE BUMBLEBEES. It was playing beautifully... I think I've encountered a bug. When Gromit goes to town to solve the bee problem the game no longer functions. No clicking, no walking, no inventory, no EXIT. I can only exit the game with ctrl+alt+del. Also, what's with the "Tea Break" message. That's very frustrating when the game locks up over and over again.:rolleyes:

Any help will be appreciated.

Windows XP
NVIDIA card
2.71 GHz
3.00 GB Ram
Free Hard Drive Space 126 GB

If I should have to move the game to our VISTA machine where are the saved games stored? Is a patch available

Thank you,

Cyd

Comments

• edited January 2010
    That's certainly odd. The game isn't available at retail yet, so I don't really get how you managed to buy a copy at Best Buy.
  • CydCyd
    edited January 2010
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    That's certainly odd. The game isn't available at retail yet, so I don't really get how you managed to buy a copy at Best Buy.

I live in the USA. It is available here in a blue boxed version with a nice graphic on the cover. The boxed version also has an EXTRA BONUS GAME EPISODE FREE from the TellTale website. The Best Buy price was $19.99, which I thought was a bargain for four episodes. Until...the glitch. I might have to forget episode one and go on to THE LAST RESORT.:(

Cyd
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Cyd wrote: »
    Also, what's with the "Tea Break" message.
    [...]
    If I should have to move the game to our VISTA machine where are the saved games stored?

What did you last do before the bug occured?
    You usually get the "Tea Break" message when you hit pause (ESC Key) during dialog and escape it the same way.

In your documents folder you'll find a folder for the episode containing the savegames. It should be something like

Vista/7: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\
    XP: %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Telltale Games\
  • CydCyd
    edited January 2010
    Here is some added information. I found the saved games. We have installed the game on our VISTA machine and installed the saved games. The same glitch still occures. We have changed game settings via the interface at the beginning with no difference. I'm down to...does anyone have a saved game past the bee adventure in town? Or maybe...just as you start the bee adventure in town?

Going to brunch before I do something unspeakable.:eek:

Thank you for any help.

Cyd
  • CydCyd
    edited January 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    What did you last do before the bug occured?
    You usually get the "Tea Break" message when you hit pause (ESC Key) during dialog and escape it the same way.

In your documents folder you'll find a folder for the episode containing the savegames. It should be something like

Vista/7: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\
    XP: %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Telltale Games\

I'm sorry I didn't see your response before I added my latest. I know when the Tea Break message usually displays. That I get. But once it locks up it's the only key that works. Grrrrr.

My last thing was getting the pan timer. Then I talk to Wallace and head to town to help with the bees. I can walk all around the street, but as soon as I click on anything it's over. Can't walk, click, no inventory, no exit. Just "TEA BREAK".

Cyd:confused:
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    can you attach your savegame?
  • CydCyd
    edited January 2010
    Here is my saved #3 and their slot0 which I guess is the automatic save. Well I tried to attach, but I don't think it worked. I didn't see the "save" as an acceptible extension on the list. I'll send this off and see what posts.:(

Cyd
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    You should zip the files before you attach them.
  • CydCyd
    edited January 2010
    You and my husband are echoes in my ears. I just did that. Here is the zip with the two I mentioned.

Cyd
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Okay, i loaded the save games and here i can go into town and click around without problems.
    I made a new save game based on your slot 3 you can try.
  • CydCyd
    edited January 2010
    Okay, i loaded the save games and here i can go into town and click around without problems.

NUTS! I tried to unzip the slot4.zip you sent and got the message "No files to extract." I so appreciate all you have tried to do.

I went further back and played forward got all the bees killed in the yard, again...and this is what I have. See attached.

Cyd
  • CydCyd
    edited January 2010

Switched my extraction software to IZarc and I got it!

Cyd
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    I tried your new game and it worked just as fine. Did you try the one I attached yet?
  • CydCyd
    edited January 2010
    Cyd wrote: »

Switched my extraction software to IZarc and I got it!

Cyd

Oh well :( We gave it a good try. I put the file in my saved games. The game recognized it as four, but when clicked on...everything went black and I was back to ctrl+alt+del.

Again, thank you so much for all you tried to do.

Cyd
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    That's sad. Since it happens with your savegame on both of your PCs and works on mine my best guess is that something is wrong with the DVD.
    I think your best option is to discuss the problem with TTG at support@telltalegames.com and send them a link to this thread.
  • CydCyd
    edited January 2010
    That's sad. Since it happens with your savegame on both of your PCs and works on mine my best guess is that something is wrong with the DVD.
    I think your best option is to discuss the problem with TTG at support@telltalegames.com and send them a link to this thread.

What's really sad is how bad I am with IZArc. I played with it some more and found I had to extract yet another layer. I ended up with a 203 KB size file. Ah ha. I put it in the saved game folder, the game recognized it and it started right up. I went to town at the appointed time and the game failed again. I think we've given it a good test and you may be right about the disc. I forgot to mention I reinstalled the game (saving my saved games) and it didn't help.

Episode two and three played beautifully. :D

How would I send a link to support with the whole thread? :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

Cyd
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Ah, at least the savegame crash is solved now. Copy this address into your e-mail. I had to put it into this box so it doesn't get shortened and can still be copied properly:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14789

• CydCyd
    edited January 2010
    Ah, at least the savegame crash is solved now. Copy this address into your e-mail. I had to put it into this box so it doesn't get shortened and can still be copied properly:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14789

Will do. Thanks. I might try to get back to Best Buy this week to see if they will replace the game with another copy.

It was very nice trying my hand at a forum and meeting such a good person. :)

Cyd
  • TesterNickTesterNick Former Telltale Staff
    edited January 2010
    Here are some saves, one right before entering town (slot2) and one after having solved the in town puzzle (slot4). Back up your existing saves and try these ones out.
  • CydCyd
    edited January 2010
    Thank you for trying to help. I've communicated with you via the email you sent me. The files you sent may help others :)

Cyd
  • edited January 2010
    I'm having the same problem with the game freezing in the town with large bees.

I tried to unzip two of the saved games that were attached - first with WinZip and that didn't work and then with IZArc which seemed to work but when I do an extraction I get one file; should there be two? Because I get a dark screen after the game starts. Maybe I'm not extracting the files correctly - if someone could tell me the correct way to use IZArc I'd appreciate it.

I also sent a report to Telltale and am waiting for an answer.

My original system that I'm having a problem with is:

HP m9340f PC

Windows Vista Home Premium
    Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
    X64-based PC
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz, 2667 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processors(s)
    Graphics = NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS
    7.5 GB Hard Drive
    6.0 GB RAM

But I also had the same problem on a system using Xp.

Robert
  • CydCyd
    edited January 2010
    rmelone wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem with the game freezing in the town with large bees.

I tried to unzip two of the saved games that were attached - first with WinZip and that didn't work and then with IZArc which seemed to work but when I do an extraction I get one file; should there be two? Because I get a dark screen after the game starts. Maybe I'm not extracting the files correctly - if someone could tell me the correct way to use IZArc I'd appreciate it.

I also sent a report to Telltale and am waiting for an answer.

My original system that I'm having a problem with is:

HP m9340f PC

Windows Vista Home Premium
    Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
    X64-based PC
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz, 2667 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processors(s)
    Graphics = NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS
    7.5 GB Hard Drive
    6.0 GB RAM

But I also had the same problem on a system using Xp.

Robert

I won't pretend to be a ZIP expert. I did discover that I needed to click on files in IZArc more times than I thought.

I finally ended up with slot2.save (173 KB) from the slot2 zip file and
    slot4.save (227 KB) from the slot 4 zip.

Unfortunately, although they did play...they did not solve my issues.

Did you buy your game at Best Buy? Another player with our same problem took it back to Best and exchanged it. I plan to do the same with mine.

In my opinion I think the problem is a missing cut scene. Youtube showed me a scene that I don't get right before my problems start. But...what do I know.

Good luck. :)

Cyd
  • edited January 2010
    I won't pretend to be a ZIP expert. I did discover that I needed to click on files in IZArc more times than I thought.

I finally ended up with slot2.save (173 KB) from the slot2 zip file and
    slot4.save (227 KB) from the slot 4 zip.

Unfortunately, although they did play...they did not solve my issues.

Did you buy your game at Best Buy? Another player with our same problem took it back to Best and exchanged it. I plan to do the same with mine.

In my opinion I think the problem is a missing cut scene. Youtube showed me a scene that I don't get right before my problems start. But...what do I know.

Good luck.

Cyd

I've been trying to extract the save file from the slot4.zip file and all I get when I select "extract" when opening up the slot4.zip file is a file named "slot4" with no extension and a size of 43kb. When I rename the file to slot0.save in the correct folder and run the game I get the blank screen I mentioned.

Sorry to bother you with this but I thought if you could step through how you managed to get a slot4.save file of 227kb from the slot4.zip file I'd appreciate it.

And, yes, I did buy the game at Best Buy. The problem is I don't think they have any more but I could give it a shot.

Do you know if the player that exchanged the game from Best Buy had any luck? And I'm wondering how you make out when you exchange it.

Also, did you get any response from Telltale (I believe you said in an earlier post you sent them an e-mail.) I have yet to get a response to mine.

Thanks for the help.

Robert
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    I've been trying to extract the save file from the slot4.zip file and all I get when I select "extract" when opening up the slot4.zip file is a file named "slot4" with no extension and a size of 43kb.

You could try right clicking on the zip file, then you should see an option to "extract all files" or similar. Windows can unzip this way since XP.
    IZArc will probably have added options into that menu too.

If you want to keep an archiver installed and are not satisfied with IZArc give 7-Zip a try.
  • CydCyd
    edited January 2010
    I've been trying to extract the save file from the slot4.zip file and all I get when I select "extract" when opening up the slot4.zip file is a file named "slot4" with no extension and a size of 43kb. When I rename the file to slot0.save in the correct folder and run the game I get the blank screen I mentioned.

Sorry to bother you with this but I thought if you could step through how you managed to get a slot4.save file of 227kb from the slot4.zip file I'd appreciate it.

And, yes, I did buy the game at Best Buy. The problem is I don't think they have any more but I could give it a shot.

Do you know if the player that exchanged the game from Best Buy had any luck? And I'm wondering how you make out when you exchange it.

Also, did you get any response from Telltale (I believe you said in an earlier post you sent them an e-mail.) I have yet to get a response to mine.

Thanks for the help.

Robert

Robert,

As I said I don't really know my way around zip files. When I used the zip utility I couldn't get the save file either at first. I called my husband and he suggested to just keep clicking on everything. Even if it seems silly. I did and finally got the save file. Things just kept unfolding to more folders. Slot2.zip unfolded to folder slot2, it contains the slot2.save. (all this is the same for 4) I dragged the save files to my desktop and put them where Support said to put them. Don't forget to backup you current save games.

The other player was a Best Buy customer, just like us. The exchange was done with no hastle, but I don't know if they have played the new disc yet.

RE: Support Response
    I got an automatic response first, followed by a personal response later. The save games in the email were the same ones Support posted to the forum.

Let me see if I can copy/paste it here.... :)

Hey Cyd,

Sorry to hear about the problems you have been having. I have a few things I'd like to have you try.

1: go ahead and grab these Save Files

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1119&d=1264554797

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1120&d=1264555336

They are also in http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=256184#post256184
    if you are having trouble getting the above links. (TesterNick)

2: Backup your saves and then place these into your Save Folder
    Then go into your Setting and turn your Graphics Quality down to 1, and turn full screen off.
    3: Try loading Slot2 first and enter Town, if that is still broken I included a save where the Town puzzle is solved and you will not need to re-enter.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,
    Nick Mastroianni
    Telltale Support

Ok it looks like it worked. So, you know what I know. If I get my game exchanged this weekend and start playing again I'll post. I fear there are LOTS of bad discs out there :(

Cyd
  • edited January 2010
    If this is a problem for more then one person who bought it from best buy, I don't think exchanging the disc for another is really going to help. You will probably have the same problem.
  • edited January 2010
    I agree with Mateo360 in that I don't have much confidence returning the game to Best Buy and getting a new one. However, it's hard to believe that the only games having the problem are being sold in Best Buy - what's unique about that? Do they have a different source? Has anyone bought the game from BB and have it work ok? Has anyone bought the game from some other store, or on-line, and had a problem?

Just a couple of thoughts.

Also, maybe Telltale should be getting a little more involved with this problem to determine what the problem is.

And Cyd - thanks for the information.

Robert
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    Looking into it guys. Thanks!
    edited January 2010
    Ok, well I have one of those exact same disks here (theoretically) and haven't been able to reproduce it from any of the saves. That's somewhat comforting in that it may not be terribly common and a store return might actually fix it.

But before we go to that length, could you try downloading the game from our website? http://www.telltalegames.com/download/frightofthebumblebees

I'll go ahead and add it to your account so that you have a valid serial number and can unlock the game. Just load up your save and see if that solves the problem. If it DOESN'T solve the problem, then there is something weird going on at the system level.

[Edit] Robert, I couldn't find you in the system. Could you PM me your email address?
  • CydCyd
    edited January 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Ok, well I have one of those exact same disks here (theoretically) and haven't been able to reproduce it from any of the saves. That's somewhat comforting in that it may not be terribly common and a store return might actually fix it.

But before we go to that length, could you try downloading the game from our website? http://www.telltalegames.com/download/frightofthebumblebees

I'll go ahead and add it to your account so that you have a valid serial number and can unlock the game. Just load up your save and see if that solves the problem. If it DOESN'T solve the problem, then there is something weird going on at the system level.

[Edit] Robert, I couldn't find you in the system. Could you PM me your email address?

:) Excellent Customer Support :)

The game now plays through like a dream. And, as I have mentioned earlier the cut scene that I saw on YouTube is now in my game play.

Out of curiosity, is the boxed version you are using to reproduce our problem tan or blue. I have seen a tan one on the web, but mine is blue. Is there any identifying information you would like from the box...if it is the issue?

Many thanks to one and all.

Cyd
  • edited January 2010
    I downloaded the game from the Telltale website and now I'm locked out; I guess I have to wait for the serial number to unlock the game.

My game also came in a blue box as Cyd mentioned.

Robert

Edit: I received the serial number and now can play past the freeze. I see what Cyd meant about the video when Gromit goes to town - the fact that we didn't see the video before must have something to do with the problem.

Thanks to all for the help.
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I'm using the blue box. The tan one is the one that will be sent to the people who bought the season through our website. It's a bit baffling to be honest.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    That's the kind of stuff that makes me curious :)
    Maybe it's something you have in common that prevents the DVD version from
    working properly.
    What security software (Antivirus, Firewall, etc.) do you run?
  • edited January 2010
    I'm running Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010, Windows Vista firewall and malware protection.

Robert
  • edited February 2010
    Ok - I have the same issue...
    Blue box version - not purchased at Best Buy - pretty sure I picked up at K-Mart (might have been WalMart).

Downloaded the online installer above, but did a parallel install in a different folder to see if any files were different. In the Pack folder, all of the files from the download version were identical in size and file dates, but the blue box version had two additional files:

env_CountryRoad.dlg 151KB 11/18/2009 4:27PM
    env_TownExterior_Gromit.dlg 98KB 11/18/2009 4:27PM

Did a new install on a different computer from the blue box version and verified that both of the above files were installed from the disk. Tested the problem save file from the first computer and had same issue.

On original computer, copied all of the .ttarch files from the download install folder to the blue box install folder - problem persisted in the save game files.

On original computer, replaced all of the original blue box .ttarch files and deleted env_TownExterior_Gromit.dlg - cut scene now played correctly upon entering the town square. Renamed same file to .bak on second computer and verified that the issue was also fixed on that computer (with no other files altered and download version never installed).

From that, I'm guessing that the two dlg files might have been mistakenly included in the installer package on some of the blue box DVDs. I can provide the two .dlg files if needed for verification. I did not delete env_CountryRoad.dlg when successfully testing the save game file. (I have not had the opportunity to play any further into the game yet to see if a similar problem occurs again due to the second .dlg file)

One other note that might be relevant - before purchasing the full version on DVD, I downloaded the demo from Steam. When I went to do the initial install from the DVD, episode 1 would crash to desktop on start - all other episodes launched correctly. Doing a full uninstall of the DVD version, and then removing the Steam version of the demo, and then a reinstall from the DVD allowed the game to launch properly.

Note that the other computer I installed on from the DVD did have Steam installed, but did not have the demo version installed at all.

Original machine was Win XP - second machine is Win 7 (x64).

Please let me know if you feel I can safely delete the second .dlg file to avoid other potential issues, or if there is any additional information I can provide to help you solve this issue for others that may experience it.
  • edited March 2010
    I have the same problem you have been discussing with Cyd in an earlier post in this forum.. I have already tried exchanging for a new disc, which did not solve the problem. I would like to download the game if that will fix it.

Thanks,
    Paul

Will wrote: »

• edited March 2010
    I just purchased the game at Best Buy also and am having the same problem. I am downloading the slot2.zip file from a post below and I hope it will help. Just wanted to let you know you weren't alone!

gameho
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks for your research WebNutMark. I simply deleted the files below, re-opened the game, and it seemed to play normally afterward. I hope this works for everyone else.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Telltale Games\Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures\Fright of the Bumblebees\Pack\env_TownExterior_Gromit.dlg

C:\Program Files (x86)\Telltale Games\Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures\Fright of the Bumblebees\Pack\env_CountryRoad.dlg
  • edited May 2010
    G'day, mate. I purchased the blue box from Amazon and experienced the same problem described in this thread. Deleting those two env_*.dlg files fixed my problem. Thank you!
  • edited May 2010
    I bought this blue box gromit game at walmart yesterday on clearence. I get tea break same as everyone else same exact glitch could someone help me fix it I don't know anything about program files.
    thanks
This discussion has been closed.