Did someone say....

...birthday?

I almost forgot that today (er, yesterday for some users by now) is Sam's birthday. And the ill-fated date of the cancellation of "Freelance Police". I've always chuckled at the irony :p

So happy birthday Sam! :D

First person who summons a Mariachi gets a cookie

I've also wondered as well :
How did you guys decide the birthdays of the characters, as printed on the time cards in 205
?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    You're right, it is. And just four days before my birthday, too. That's how I can remember it. That and the fact that the date is written on a box in the office in Season One.
  • edited March 2010
    Happy belated birthday, Sam!
  • edited March 2010
    Happy Birthday you old canine Shamus.

By the way, how does Sam have only one birthday a year if he's a dog?
  • edited March 2010
    I don't think dogs are allowed to warp the laws of physics by being born multiple times.
  • edited March 2010
    Dogs have only one birthday a year. It's like people who are born on leap years (I meant on feb the 29th), their birthday is only ever four years but they celebrate four years at once.
  • edited March 2010
    Happy Birthday Sam ^^!

There's not equivalents? I mean, 1 Dog Year is like he was a human and lives 4 years, right? (Am I using actual words?)
  • edited March 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    I don't think dogs are allowed to warp the laws of physics by being born multiple times.

No, I mean, aren't their "years" significantly shorter?
  • edited March 2010
    Happy birthday to Sam!

Hm, I wonder if dog years even apply to an anthropomorphic cartoon dog?
  • edited March 2010
    More seriously, "dog years" are just an approximation. Their first year is like a human's first 20 years or something. Aren't they able to reproduce at about 6 months? That would make them around 15 human years, no?

But years are a way of counting time that doesn't depend on how long humans live (a year is a year whether you're male or female even though females statistically live longer), but on the earth revolving around the sun. The earth doesn't go faster for dogs, so no, they don't have more birthdays. But if you want to wish them a happy sixmonthiversary every six months or something, be my guest.

(And of course Sam and Max are different. They've outlived both their species' life expectancy by a lot, considering they're constantly portrayed as being around 30).
  • edited March 2010
    I've never liked dog years as an approximation either, mostly because it just doesn't work. Even in the broad strokes of the lifespan, a 15 year-old dog is 105, by this horribly simplified scale. While technically possible for humans I suppose, it's hardly as common as a dog that lasts 15 years. Also, the ages just don't work in terms of the way a dog actually ages, not even thinking about differences in breeds. The ratio changes over time, and isn't really something that can be put to a hard rule, especially for dogs as a whole(rather than a single breed).
  • edited March 2010
    It's just an aproximation to figure out how old a dog is quality speaking, instead of quantity. If a dog is 15 years, what's mean for the dog been 15 years old? It's like you were 60 years old. That it. Of course, the people who knows about dogs they do know this is innacurate and dogs are different of human, but, for people who has no idea, I think is alright.
  • edited March 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    It's just an aproximation to figure out how old a dog is quality speaking, instead of quantity. If a dog is 15 years, what's mean for the dog been 15 years old? It's like you were 60 years old. That it. Of course, the people who knows about dogs they do know this is innacurate and dogs are different of human, but, for people who has no idea, I think is alright.

Except you're using a "1 year = 4 years" estimate while most people I've heard use a "1 year = 7 years" estimate.
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Except you're using a "1 year = 4 years" estimate while most people I've heard use a "1 year = 7 years" estimate.

Yeah, I notice that too... I just checked with my sister and yes, I made a mistake. But anyway, the idea still remain, right?

right?
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, I notice that too... I just checked with my sister and yes, I made a mistake. But anyway, the idea still remain, right?

right?

Except that you'd be right that a 15 year old dog would be closer to 60 than 105. Okay, maybe more than 60, but still.

It's an approximation that works for only a few years, since before it's not enough (a one year-old dog is equivalent to more than a 7 year old human) and after it's too much (a 15 year old dog is younger than a 105 year old human).

I find it much easier to remember something like "dogs have a 15 year lifespan and mature at six months" or something. I might be wrong with the ages, I'm more of a cat person, but for cats that would be "cats mature at 6 months and live about 18 years". Here, now you know about how old a cat is compared to a human just by hearing an age (matures being "matures sexually", not "is a full-grown adult", by the way). Seems like a better way to estimate it than with a number that's only right half the time (if that much).
  • edited March 2010
    There's only one other explanation to solve this. Sam is a man in a dog suit.
  • edited March 2010
    That explains so much. It's just their fetish or something. They like dressing up. Some people like dressing up as the opposite sex, some like wearing a giant dog suit, or a rabbit suit if they're a midget.
  • edited March 2010
    Great, now you have got me thinking that Sam and Max are furries. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
  • edited March 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    Great, now you have got me thinking that Sam and Max are furries. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

At least you are getting that easier... really...
  • edited March 2010

Well, they ARE furry.
    Now I want to see fanart of them as humans.
  • edited March 2010
    give me a couple of days...

But I'm giving max a white shirt and white pants in that case
  • edited March 2010
    Well, they ARE furry.

I WAS REFUSING DOING THAT SINCE I BECOME A FAN!

Now you are give me permition
  • edited March 2010
    hey, I called it! It's my first chance to do fanart
  • edited March 2010
    No need to argue, everyone is allowed to do their own. Or several of them.
  • edited March 2010
    hey, I called it! It's my first chance to do fanart

No one is stop you of doing it. Be my guest.
  • edited March 2010
    Did someone say fanart of them as humans? There's a few around, but that's the one that captures the spirit the best, I think. I tried drawing Sam as a human, but it sucked and I suck.

Speaking of an opportunity to be self-deprecating, until recently I played Sam in a LiveJournal roleplay where all the characters have to be human, and another player drew a bunch of the characters including Sam, and here's the drawing. And here's the post it was in (image heavy). He's not wearing his normal outfit because that's another part of the roleplay's premise, but it is him.
    Ginny N wrote:
    I WAS REFUSING DOING THAT SINCE I BECOME A FAN!

Now you are give me permition
    Do it do it do it.
  • edited March 2010
    Do it do it do it.

I warn you, my style is heavily infuenced by anime, and I'm a declared Sam fangirl: If I do him bishie as a dog, I don't know as a human...
  • edited March 2010
    I've also wondered as well :
    How did you guys decide the birthdays of the characters, as printed on the time cards in 205
    ?
    Superball's is my brother's birthday.
    Sam's is the date of the Freelance Police cancellation, as you mentioned.
    The Soda Poppers I can't remember, actually. It was either the date that episode 102 was released on GameTap (since that's the date you travel to) or the date Season 1 was first released.
  • edited March 2010
    Chuck wrote: »
    Superball's is my brother's birthday.
    Sam's is the date of the Freelance Police cancellation, as you mentioned.
    The Soda Poppers I can't remember, actually. It was either the date that episode 102 was released on GameTap (since that's the date you travel to) or the date Season 1 was first released.

I know that cannot be just coincidence!
  • edited March 2010
    Max: "You can kiss my cute furry bum, Sam"

I am pretty sure that (or something like it) is actually said to boot at some point somewhere 0_0.
  • edited March 2010
    I warn you, my style is heavily infuenced by anime, and I'm a declared Sam fangirl: If I do him bishie as a dog, I don't know as a human...
    Doesn't matter whether a human Sam is attractive or not, as long as it feels like Sam. I'm asexual and can't find anyone attractive without having to think about it, but Sam's a dog. He could be as handsome as he claims he is for all we know.

Besides, I'm a big Sam fangirl too.
  • edited March 2010

And we have a winner, ladies and gentlemen! *gives cookie*
    GinnyN wrote:
    I warn you, my style is heavily infuenced by anime, and I'm a declared Sam fangirl

That makes two of us! (three on the fangirl factor) Are you my long lost twin? :p

You know, I never really took into consideration the whole "dog year" thing. I guess his anthropomorphism translates for me as him being more "human" than "dog". Or the fur suit thing.

I prefer the former.
  • edited March 2010
    warning before I post it, my fan art looks like crap, and Max is mad about it. I am not responsible for any Max related injuries you may receive.

(it's not quite done yet)
  • edited March 2010
    Did someone say fanart of them as humans

Is it just me or do they look like clones of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes. I like Sam's look the best.

BTW, after reading what Sam's birthday is, man. He has the worst birthday ever.
  • edited March 2010
    Did somebody say... birthday?
    Mariachi.jpg
  • edited March 2010
    Did someone say fanart of them as humans? There's a few around, but that's the one that captures the spirit the best, I think.

Never thought I'd see the day where my art was posted (and praised!) on a forum without me posting it. I'm flattered.
  • edited March 2010
    Cheri wrote: »
    Never thought I'd see the day where my art was posted (and praised!) on a forum without me posting it. I'm flattered.

Heeehhhh WELCOME!
  • edited March 2010
    Nice, Ginny :)
  • edited March 2010

Is it just me, or does Max actually look more adorable as a Human? It's probably just because he looks about 5, but still, great job :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.