Graphic Fear

edited March 2010 in Sam & Max
Loved the trailer, but I'm worried that the graphic requirements might be too high for my computer. I can play up to Tales of MI fine, though, so do you think I can play SaM 3?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    tredlow wrote: »
    Loved the trailer, but I'm worried that the graphic requirements might be too high for my computer. I can play up to Tales of MI fine, though, so do you think I can play SaM 3?

System requirements are the same for S&M as they are for TMI, so yeah, you can. Just out of interest, what settings are you playing Tales on, I don't think you've posted in my 'What pcs do you play tomi on?' thread.
  • edited March 2010
    Oh, good. Thanks. I'm no good with PC stuff. All I know is that it's XP, and the biggest games I've played in it is Spore and Fallout 3. I play TMI in level 3 graphic quality.
  • edited March 2010
    Oh, good. Thanks. I'm no good with PC stuff. All I know is that it's XP, and the biggest games I've played in it is Spore and Fallout 3. I play TMI in level 3 graphic quality.

Alright, cool. Would you be willing to upgrade your video card, so you can play at max?
  • edited March 2010
    Alright, cool. Would you be willing to upgrade your video card, so you can play at max?

Well, I don't really need awesome graphics to enjoy it. I mean, it's good enough on low level graphics for me. Plus, I think I might need a new computer if I want to upgrade to higher systems.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Wait no, the system requirements should be higher than they are with Monkey Island. Should be 128mb video card, 1gb of RAM. Everything else will be the same though.

Edit: I got my late night numbers wrong. Sorry everyone!
  • edited March 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Wait no, the system requirements should be higher than they are with Monkey Island. Should be 256mb video card, 1gb of RAM. Everything else will be the same though.

But I can still play it, right?
    edited March 2010
    Probably. If you were just barely scraping by on ToMI, then I might be concerned. But if it played fine, you should be ok.
  • edited March 2010
    Probably. If you were just barely scraping by on ToMI, then I might be concerned. But if it played fine, you should be ok.

It played fine on level 3 graphics. Is that barely scraping?
    edited March 2010
    You will be ok. And if not, there's always a refund.
  • edited March 2010

Phew. Thank goodness. I was scared that I might miss out on Sam putting his hands in his pockets, like in the screenshot.
  • edited March 2010
    I was scared that I might miss out on Sam putting his hands in his pockets

>.>

Erm. Whatever works for you I guess :D
  • edited March 2010
    I'm just really glad I got a this-gen mid-level video card for Wallace & Gromit, when up til then I had been using outdated cards that were budget when they were new. Can't wait to see it pushed a bit more.
  • edited March 2010
    256MB of VRAM, jesus christ, i'm gonna have to buy some more.

More than 2 billion Bits are working along with Sam&Max on this case and trying to make them looking as good as possible.
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    >.>

Erm. Whatever works for you I guess :D

I know how that sounds, but trust me, it's all about the advancment in the graphics, and nothing else. No, really. Seriously.
  • edited March 2010
    Glad about the system requirements. The graphics do look pretty awesome - all those textures and shadows!

My computer can handle Spore on mostly-high quality, and all of Telltale's games have been fine for me so far on top quality. But I have had that computer since 2006 so I'm kinda surprised about some of the things it can run.
  • edited March 2010
    Scrawffler wrote: »
    Glad about the system requirements. The graphics do look pretty awesome - all those textures and shadows!

My computer can handle Spore on mostly-high quality, and all of Telltale's games have been fine for me so far on top quality. But I have had that computer since 2006 so I'm kinda surprised about some of the things it can run.

The COPS would be proud.
  • edited March 2010
    I can assure you, no matter your specs, the game will run...

*sunglasses*

... Maxed out.
  • edited March 2010
    Kinda worried as well.
    ToMI Ran okay on the lowest graphic setting, not uber fine but still okay if i took care of not running too much stuff in the background.. Haven't really experimented with higher settings tho, i'll try that tonight.
    Don't really know what my specs actually are as well, so i'll try to check that too.
  • edited March 2010
    Is it a good idea to use the free episode pre-order bonus on TMI to benchmark my computer? I also have graphical concerns, but don't know if my video card has the 256MB requirement. All I know is that it is an intergrated graphics card, which generally means I'm boned on graphically heavy games like Spore and The Sims 3, both of which have to run at the bottom level settings on my computer or else.
  • edited March 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    256MB of VRAM, jesus christ, i'm gonna have to buy some more.

More than 2 billion Bits are working along with Sam&Max on this case and trying to make them looking as good as possible.

If you have a decent processor and RAM, you can survive on 128 megabytes. I play many games that require 256 MB of VRAM (Fallout 3, for instance), on my puny 2008 iMac sporting a HD2400XT.
  • edited March 2010
    Zeek wrote: »
    Is it a good idea to use the free episode pre-order bonus on TMI to benchmark my computer? I also have graphical concerns, but don't know if my video card has the 256MB requirement. All I know is that it is an intergrated graphics card, which generally means I'm boned on graphically heavy games like Spore and The Sims 3, both of which have to run at the bottom level settings on my computer or else.

You can always download the demo
  • edited March 2010
    JeJe wrote: »
    If you have a decent processor and RAM, you can survive on 128 megabytes. I play many games that require 256 MB of VRAM (Fallout 3, for instance), on my puny 2008 iMac sporting a HD2400XT.
    Wait, you mean i ripped off one slice of my harddrive and heated up the soldering rod just for nothing?

This can't be!
  • edited March 2010
    I currently have the Intel GMA950 with 224MB of VRAM (yes, I know, very bad, barely ran ToMI). Would this be sufficient to run the game, and if not, will there be an option for software rendering, and would my processor be able to handle it? (my processor is a Core 2 Duo T7400, 2.16Ghz)

Thanks.
    edited March 2010
    Avocado02 wrote: »
    I currently have the Intel GMA950 with 224MB of VRAM (yes, I know, very bad, barely ran ToMI). Would this be sufficient to run the game, and if not, will there be an option for software rendering, and would my processor be able to handle it? (my processor is a Core 2 Duo T7400, 2.16Ghz)

Thanks.

Honestly? Probably not. You could certainly try the demo, but there's a very good chance the GMA will not be up to snuff. Sorry!
  • edited March 2010
    Wait no, the system requirements should be higher than they are with Monkey Island. Should be 256mb video card, 1gb of RAM. Everything else will be the same though.
    Will, the system requirements on the game page list a minimum of 128MB. That should probably be changed!
    edited March 2010
    OH WAIT! I lied. It's actually supposed to be 128, not 256. That's what I get for posting late at night. What is up there now is more or less correct (and is properly higher than the min specs for Monkey).
  • edited March 2010
    Honestly? Probably not. You could certainly try the demo, but there's a very good chance the GMA will not be up to snuff. Sorry!

Ok, thanks, I'll probably do that then. Then again, if it is a minimum 128mb rather than 256, my GMA may just about be able to pull through.
  • edited March 2010
    Avocado02 wrote: »

Thanks.

Sadly, the GMA950 doesn't actually have 224 MB of VRAM - it just borrows most of that from standard RAM. It probably only has 64 megabytes. I suppose you can run the game but it will be choppy. Is it a desktop? Can you upgrade?
  • edited March 2010
    JeJe wrote: »
    Sadly, the GMA950 doesn't actually have 224 MB of VRAM - it just borrows most of that from standard RAM. It probably only has 64 megabytes. I suppose you can run the game but it will be choppy. Is it a desktop? Can you upgrade?

My mistake. But borrowing from standard RAM still performs the same function as normal VRAM, as far as I know (at least, I remember reading threads about mac users with the GMA950 not running ToMI due to the mac driver not being able to allocate spare RAM.)

It's not a desktop, so the chances of upgrading are slim (without switching out the whole motherboard), and the laptop has no expresscard 2.0 slot, making solutions like the ViDock2 useless.

Actually, to any laptop users who aren't sure if their computer will handle the game could always try using ViDock2 to attach a proper desktop graphics card to their laptop. (this link for more info)
  • edited March 2010
    OH WAIT! I lied. It's actually supposed to be 128, not 256. That's what I get for posting late at night. What is up there now is more or less correct (and is properly higher than the min specs for Monkey).
    (relieved)

I have a 256MB video card, but it makes me nervous to only barely meet the minimum requirements.
  • edited March 2010
    Are there Rec specs? I can run W+G on high thanks to Nvidia, but TOMI runs considerably slower on 7-8-9 than on the lower ones. Still more than playable though.
  • edited March 2010
    Well, since everyone is throwing out their graphic card's make and model, I might as well do the same.

I have an intergrated graphic card (yeah, I know, BAD) that is a nVIDIA GeForce 6100. I can't find the VRAM data on that card no matter how hard I look. Will I be able to run the game?

In the meantime, I'll download the demo of TMI to see if I can run that.
  • edited March 2010
    Nvidia Control Center - Help - System Information - Memory
    ...should give you the info you're looking for.

With a 512MB GeForce 9600GT I am fine, fortunately.
  • edited March 2010
    Well, since everyone is throwing out their graphic card's make and model, I might as well do the same.

I have an intergrated graphic card (yeah, I know, BAD) that is a nVIDIA GeForce 6100. I can't find the VRAM data on that card no matter how hard I look. Will I be able to run the game?

In the meantime, I'll download the demo of TMI to see if I can run that.

Yeah... I wouldn't get your hopes up, I run a 9100, which isn't all that much better.

However, you can play halo 2 vista a ok.
  • edited March 2010
    You make it sound like a bad thing. I find it surprising that I actually have 512MB in VRAM.:)
  • edited March 2010
    You make it sound like a bad thing. I find it surprising that I actually have 512MB in VRAM.:)
    Wait, what? I have half that!
  • edited March 2010
    I'm also kind of shocked to learn that I have 2.2GHz of processing speed and 1.87GB of RAM. I honestly thought I had less than that!!
    It played fine on level 3 graphics. Is that barely scraping?

The demo for TMI's first episode barely ran at Level 4, but the rain effects caused a frame-rate drop like no other. I, too, had to drop to Level 3, which brought the game to S&M:S2's Low Setting. If there were real-time shadows in the demo, I didn't see it, but I still had the glow and self-shadowing effects from that lighting engine.

I hope you are right, Will, that both tredlow and I can run S&M:TDP fine. I don't mind toning down the graphics, because I'm used to it. (Besides, I like the cartoony colors that resulted in the finer texture details being pulled out with the lower quality.)
  • edited March 2010
    Well I will definitely have to wait for a demo then.
  • edited March 2010

I checked Fallout 3's requirements, and it's 256. If I can play that, then I can play this, no?

What I'm worried of now is actually regarding Telltale's future stuff. The higher the graphic requirements, the less I can play...

I need a new computer, dammit!
  • edited March 2010
    I am ok with any graphical advancements you want to throw my way.. such is the nature of video games... that and I just bought a nice new computer.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.