Graphic Fear

2»

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Hmm, time to get a bit with the times and buy a new computer.

Good thing I save moolah.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    tredlow wrote: »
    I need a new computer, dammit!

Depending on your system you might be good with just buying a different graphics card. New ones suitable for these games aren't that expensive, and someone you know might even have an older one lying around you could get for a really low price.
    I for example have besides other stuff an Nvidia 6600GT AGP 8x, Nvidia 7600GT PCIe and Radeon X1600 pro AGP 8x lying around in some boxes because i don't throw away that kind of stuff and like to have backup hardware.
    Each one of them should run the game well between medium and high quality settings, depending on the resolution.
    Because I have a 1920x1200 24" Display though I bought a more powerful card (Radeon HD4850) some month ago in order to play ToMI at highest quality in the native resolution.
  • edited March 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Depending on your system you might be good with just buying a different graphics card. New ones suitable for these games aren't that expensive, and someone you know might even have an older one lying around you could get for a really low price.
    I for example have besides other stuff an Nvidia 6600GT AGP 8x, Nvidia 7600GT PCIe and Radeon X1600 pro AGP 8x lying around in some boxes because i don't throw away that kind of stuff and like to have backup hardware.
    Each one of them should run the game well between medium and high quality settings, depending on the resolution.
    Because I have a 1920x1200 24" Display though I bought a more powerful card (Radeon HD4850) some month ago in order to play ToMI at highest quality in the native resolution.

Yeah, the 4850 is a nice card. I'm getting mine in the mail tomorrow.
  • edited March 2010
    I don't think I can change out my video card because, you know... it's INTERGRATED.:(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Zeek wrote: »
    I don't think I can change out my video card because, you know... it's INTERGRATED.:(

Is that a laptop?
    Desktops with integrated graphics usually also have a slot for a graphics card.
  • edited March 2010
    Is that a laptop?
    Desktops with integrated graphics usually also have a slot for a graphics card.

It's a desktop, and I open it up once every three months to blow out the dust. I've found it odd the first time I committed to this practice that the computer I bought doesn't have a spare slot that matches up with the graphic card's slot. It appears to be missing a "slot" in the slot. (The available slots have three sets per slot, but the graphics card only has two sets.)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    It appears to be missing a "slot" in the slot. (The available slots have three sets per slot, but the graphics card only has two sets.)

There are different kind of graphics cards slots depending on the systems age.
    Do you know the Manufacturer and Model of the Mainboard?
    I'll attach instructions to identify it by software just in case.

If that fails a picture of the slots could help too.

Identifying your mainboard:

Download and install the latest version of cpu-z.
    Start it and open the mainboard tab like this:
    b488c_1248592576.png

Write a reply containing
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer:
    Model:
    Chipset:
    BIOS
    Brand:
    Version:
    Date:
  • edited March 2010
    Graphic Fear sounds like the name of a bad 80s horror film.
  • edited March 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »

I was just thinking this.

Great minds think alike...

But I have no idea how my great thoughts were mixed in with your peasent thoughts.

You are the weakest link.
    Goodbye.
  • edited March 2010
    So... My computer can run Tales fine at 3 quality (4 works all right, though there's some slight desynching so I just use 3.) Sam and Max plays fine at the highest quality, but Team Fortress 2 really won't work at all. Do you think I have what it takes for Devil's Playhouse?
  • edited March 2010
    Will a demo be available before release so people can test out their computers and, if all goes according to plan, still preorder? I'm not so worried since I just bought a new one this week (though I still don't know where to go for my graphics card info), my real stake in this is getting to play a demo sooner than april 15th.
  • edited March 2010
    Will a demo be available before release so people can test out their computers and, if all goes according to plan, still preorder? I'm not so worried since I just bought a new one this week (though I still don't know where to go for my graphics card info), my real stake in this is getting to play a demo sooner than april 15th.

I'm assuming it'll be like TOMI and be on-release.
  • edited March 2010

bwahahaha
  • edited March 2010

In a world where every form of entertainment requires higher and higher video cards... One man dares to use old computers...

GRAPHIC FEAR. Rated PG13.
  • edited March 2010
    In a world where every form of entertainment requires higher and higher video cards... One man dares to use old computers...

Lol, I need to make a video of that. Lord knows I'm not making enough Youtube videos as it is.
  • edited March 2010

I bet it could be scary as a novel.
  • edited March 2010
    Will a demo be available before release so people can test out their computers and, if all goes according to plan, still preorder?
    As mentioned, unlikely.
  • edited March 2010
    COMING SOON!

From the people who brought you Litigation Jackson and the film adaptation of the best-selling computer video game Peasant's Quest, Videlectrix films, now introduce a computer epic that will showcase the newest in technologies! I know computers make graphics, but can they make fear?!

Written by Videlectrix writer/game designer/Mostly Game Designer Robert Willhelm, designer of the horror/cooking video game classic "Night Thyme: A Scary Game"!

Graphics have been becoming more advanced every day. Sure, we started with innocent enough Vector graphics. But now we have COLORS, BITS, and SPRITES. What if it all gets...too real? What if that dazzling 16-color VGA...could kill?

FEATURING COMPUTER GRAPHICS SO REAL

THEY'LL BE SCARY™!

Side note: I am not affiliated with Homestar Runner or Telltale in any substantial or official capacity. I don't know them personally or anything. I do not intend to deceive anyone.
  • edited March 2010
    There are different kind of graphics cards slots depending on the systems age.
    Do you know the Manufacturer and Model of the Mainboard?
    I'll attach instructions to identify it by software just in case.

If that fails a picture of the slots could help too.

2myu90g.jpg

It sucks, huh?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    It sucks, huh?

Sadly it doesn't really identify the Mainboard. But the chipset implies you could have a PCIe slot.
    A Photograph would be the best way to know at this point.

Did you buy your PC as a complete system and if so which Manufacturer/Model is it?

A dxdiag log might contain useful information as well.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited March 2010
    COMING SOON!

From the people who brought you Litigation Jackson and the film adaptation of the best-selling computer video game Peasant's Quest, Videlectrix films, now introduce a computer epic that will showcase the newest in technologies! I know computers make graphics, but can they make fear?!

Written by Videlectrix writer/game designer/Mostly Game Designer Robert Willhelm, designer of the horror/cooking video game classic "Night Thyme: A Scary Game"!

Graphics have been becoming more advanced every day. Sure, we started with innocent enough Vector graphics. But now we have COLORS, BITS, and SPRITES. What if it all gets...too real? What if that dazzling 16-color VGA...could kill?

FEATURING COMPUTER GRAPHICS SO REAL

THEY'LL BE SCARY™!

Side note: I am not affiliated with Homestar Runner or Telltale in any substantial or official capacity. I don't know them personally or anything. I do not intend to deceive anyone.

That was hilarious.
  • edited March 2010
    Sadly it doesn't really identify the Mainboard. But the chipset implies you could have a PCIe slot.
    A Photograph would be the best way to know at this point.

Did you buy your PC as a complete system and if so which Manufacturer/Model is it?

A dxdiag log might contain useful information as well.
    *eye twitches* I have to submit one of those every time I encounter an error in The Sims 3... I'd rather not not pull it up for Sam & Max, a franchise that has had NO bugs on my end since I first started playing it....

Anyway, yes, I bought my PC as a complete system. Manufacturer is Gateway, and this "model" is their Media Hub model, as my video card also has a cable jack that I could use to hook up my TV signal cable. I don't use it, but it's there. As far a a specific model? Hell if I know.

I guess I'll just wait until the demo/first episode is released to see if I can run it with at least a decent frame rate.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Anyway, yes, I bought my PC as a complete system. Manufacturer is Gateway, and this "model" is their Media Hub model, as my video card also has a cable jack that I could use to hook up my TV signal cable. I don't use it, but it's there. As far a a specific model? Hell if I know.

Doesn't it have a sticker somewhere on the case identifying the exact model?
  • edited March 2010
    Doesn't it have a sticker somewhere on the case identifying the exact model?

The only sticker besides all the internal products just says GM5084, but I doubt that's the model number. All the other important stickers on the case are located on the back with all the cables, which I cannot access without disconnecting everything due to how short the cables are.

I'm cleaning the tower this afternoon and will PM you pictures of it. If all I need to do is upgrade the video card, then I'm willing to put forward the effort for it. It's upgrading to a new computer altogether where I draw the line.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    The only sticker besides all the internal products just says GM5084, but I doubt that's the model number.

No, that's perfect. According to the specifications you have a PCIe x16 slot which enables you to use new graphics cards. You have a 300 Watt Power Supply which is enough for most medium graphics cards models in a system with these specs. The Radeon HD 4600 series should be fine, as it doesn't need a special connector from the power supply. For more powerful cards you would have to check for that.

If you still want to take Photos it would be useful to have one of the Slot Area (with enough light) to see how much room is there just in case.

You can also keep your eyes open for a PCIe Power connector more powerful cards would need while you are at it:
    pciepowerconnector2.jpg
  • edited March 2010
    Okay, NOW I'm upset.

I just played the Mac demo of ToMI on my MacBook Pro that I bought two years ago for graphic design purposes, and it looks so much better on this model than on my PC. Focus pulls, depth perception blurs, and a cleaner lighting set up than what I saw before!

*sigh* I guess I may need a new PC... My MacBook is strictly "work only." We will see in about a month's time when the episode comes out.
  • edited March 2010
    These graphics...they have instilled fear through the community!!
  • edited March 2010
    Okay, NOW I'm upset.

I just played the Mac demo of ToMI on my MacBook Pro that I bought two years ago for graphic design purposes, and it looks so much better on this model than on my PC. Focus pulls, depth perception blurs, and a cleaner lighting set up than what I saw before!

*sigh* I guess I may need a new PC... My MacBook is strictly "work only." We will see in about a month's time when the episode comes out.

Describe "work only".
  • edited March 2010
    Describe "work only".

Digital artwork, graphic design assignments, cleaning up hand-drawn sketches and digitally painting them in... most recently, video editing.

Nothing fancy, but definately something I want to keep seprate from the unit I use to play games on.
  • edited March 2010
    The only sticker besides all the internal products just says GM5084, but I doubt that's the model number. All the other important stickers on the case are located on the back with all the cables, which I cannot access without disconnecting everything due to how short the cables are.

I'm cleaning the tower this afternoon and will PM you pictures of it. If all I need to do is upgrade the video card, then I'm willing to put forward the effort for it. It's upgrading to a new computer altogether where I draw the line.

I hope you don't mind, but I have a suggestion that will save lots of time finding out exactly what is inside that tower... :confused:

I highly recommend what I consider a "must have" program called Auslogics System Information. ASI is free, safe and super easy to use. Their website has an option to buy the program, but be cheap like me and go for the free download. ;)

Within a minute or two, you will have a report with loads of assorted information about your computer.

Below is a screen shot with a section of the report regarding my video card, etc. (I select the comprehensive report in plain text then save it in WordPad so I'll have it for future reference).

TTG_graphics-1.jpg

Here's a link to the ASI page http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/system-information/

I hope this helps!

BTW, I'm so excited about S&M 3 that I'm going to celebrate this weekend by upgrading my card and adding more RAM. :D
  • edited March 2010
    @ DjNDB...

I'm just trying to be helpful so please accept my sincerest apologies if seem to be a pest. :)
  • edited March 2010
    I still haven't checked how TMI behaved at higher settings, but I got the second episode of Wallace and Gromitt with the free coupon i got from preordering and i actually had MORE trouble running it than ToMI, even on the lowest quality setting.
    This reminded me that the previous seasons of sam and max (which i admit i haven't replayed in quite a while) also had some difficulties. Basically, they worked, but the game would often take ages to load new rooms or slow down during cutscenes, that kind of things, none of which happened in ToMI (well, except maybe for slighlty long loading times, but nowhere near as bad).
    Weird, uh ?

I really hope season 3 will be okay though, a new computer is really NOT what i should be spending money on these days.
  • edited March 2010
    Well, thanks to Chapter 3 of TMI, my graphical fears have been put to rest.

I couldn't help but notice that even at Quality Level 3, I was still able to get the dirty feel of the settings, but the lighting actually let up to allow me to see things better. All of the HD videos of that chapter I saw made the sets look so dark that you couldn't see characters unless they were in a lit area.

So of S&M:TDP ends up having any of these similarly dark areas, I guess my lower-quality setting will actually help me see things. Oh, sure, I won't get the fancy glow effects and dynamic lighting, but at least I'll be able to see.:p
  • edited March 2010
    Okay, NOW I'm impressed with my current graphics card. Having finished Chapter 5 of TMI, I'm pleased at the fact my intergrated card is able to pull off the dynamic lighting engine with no trouble at all! Oh, sure, I won't have glows or shadows, but I'm confindent now that S&M:TDP will look just fine on my end.:D
  • edited March 2010
    I can run Crysis on High, so Sam and Max should be fine. I can't run Crysis at max though.... But still. Sam and Max isn't Crysis.

Worst case scenario, you just bump the resolution down to minimum. That should be fine if you ran TOMI.

I like high requirements though, makes me feel justified for paying 1000 for a computer every 2 years when ps3 is 600 for 8 years...
  • OMAOMA
    edited March 2010
    Fury wrote: »
    I like high requirements though, makes me feel justified for paying 1000 for a computer every 2 years when ps3 is 600 for 8 years...

With a $1000 computer you should be fine for more than 4 years!
    I know I can do with a 4 year old $500 computer :)
    (and I can run all TTG games at maximum settings, having only upgraded the graphics card)

But then, I'm not a "serious" gamer ;)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.