What's your thought on Sam & Max's new Season?

edited March 2010 in Sam & Max
What the thread title refers to is not the plot or the storyline (which are awesome, no doubt about that) I'm talking about the new animation and what other things are put into this new game.

Do you think that the new five Episodes coming will completely change Sam & Max from now on?
What do you think about the all new animation; does it suit you for Sam & Max or does some of it remind you the lost "Freelance Police" game?

Either if it's the Graphics, the plot or the animation... What's your thought?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    I'm going to need a walkthrough a lot more times, I tell you what.

all these visions will confuse me. the powers will be awesome. looks like it will be a more closely knit plot. Love the idea of Sams Notebook (Certainly would have helped me in Ice Station Santa.

It looks fun, thrilling, and hilarious. I wonder how many characters will be calling him Skunk Ape
  • edited March 2010
    It'll be hard I say. Also I hope I can make this game work on my lame laptop.

Loved the new look, style, everything. It looks as bizarre as Sam and Max can get. A lot more than first two seasons, and I gotta admit I think this is the thing the first two season lacks. A fresh new idea, a better look, a new sight of our neighborhood. And still episodic.

Tales of MI is the most polished series of Telltale at the moment, but things are going to change and I'll just LOVE it.
  • edited March 2010
    I just cant wait to see them apply all they learned from monkey island, character designs, area designs, gameplay, story and that sort of stuff.

I just hope this season will be so very wacky crazy and very far out there! :D

I really want to see sam & max fight someone in big ball of dust (cartoon) fighting :)
  • edited March 2010
    Not too sure about the whole thing about max having psychic powers. I dunno, sounds a bit... weird.
    Does it fit into sam and max ? Right now i'd be tempted to say "not so well", but hey, let's wait and see how it's implemented. Everything else looks great so far, defintely feels like we might get more of this whole "anything can happen" vibe that kinda lacked in the previous season.
    I'm sure it'll be great overall.
  • edited March 2010
    I like the concept of powers and traveling to places and times (on a broader scale than previously experimented).
    I can't really say much about it before I actually play it though. I don't know how the controls feel, I don't know what's the story's like, and as much as it makes me feel bad for the people who work hard on it, I really don't care about the graphics at all.
    I just want to play it.
  • edited March 2010
    I love the look of the street. It's nice and grimy now, just like the comics. I also like that
    the city they live in is finally explicitly identified as New York. It's easier to tell in the other things, and Sam does make a lot of references to New York related locations, but it's nice to be clear.

I like the new expressions, too.
  • edited March 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    I also like that the city they live in is finally explicitly identified as New York.

Its always been made clear its New York, even from the very first 1988 comic.
  • edited March 2010
    S@bre wrote: »
    Its always been made clear its New York, even from the very first 1988 comic.
    I don't think there were any explicit references to New York in either Season 1 or 2, though. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, I was referring to the Telltale games. You can still tell if you pay attention, but that's the first time they've actually called it by its name.

But since when were they in Manhattan? I thought they were in Brooklyn. Their Twitters lied to me. If I can't trust Twitter, what can I trust?

(I'm joking, I don't actually mind if there's a minor contradiction between the games and the promotional stuff)
  • edited March 2010
    Not too sure about the whole thing about max having psychic powers. I dunno, sounds a bit... weird.

I hear ya. But on the other side, driving to the moon in the Desoto while using paper bags to not suffocate is pretty weird as well :D
  • edited March 2010
    Well.. yeah.
    I'm aware that dismissing anything in sam and max because it sounds "weird" is pretty stupid ;) But i dunno, still feels kinda inapropriate.
    But this feeling is growing weaker and weaker already. Just watched this quick look thingie video and it seems like it might be great fun indeed.
    And i secondschwoo on the new look of the street. Just loved those rats running around, really brought back that comics vibe.
  • edited March 2010
    Katsuro wrote: »
    I hear ya. But on the other side, driving to the moon in the Desoto while using paper bags to not suffocate is pretty weird as well :D

Well, technically they didn't "drive" to the moon.

They boosted themselves there by jamming fireworks in the Desoto's tailpipe. Much more reasonable.
  • edited March 2010
    JJoyce wrote: »

They boosted themselves there by jamming fireworks in the Desoto's tailpipe. Much more reasonable.

And so much cheaper than an actual moon-mission
  • edited March 2010
    JJoyce wrote: »

matches, slightly less reasonable.

And then they promptly took off the masks as "those prissy paranoid astronauts didn't have the guts to try it"
  • edited March 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    matches, slightly less reasonable.

And then they promptly took off the masks as "those prissy paranoid astronauts didn't have the guts to try it"

Eh.

Fireworks, matches ... both suitable for wanton mayhem and destruction.

Though now that my memory's been corrected...Wish I'd picked up the reissue before they sold out, but c'est la vie.
  • edited March 2010
    Max took off his bag just because, at least in the comic. Sam could never insult astronauts like that.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, gritty street looks nice. Don't really care much for graphics so "lightning shaders" and overlays and whatever some people noticed doesn't even get my attention.

Looking forward to the story...
  • edited March 2010
    It looks like a massive improvement on the first 2 seasons! Really excited.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, I love the new cloth textures. They look real!
  • edited March 2010
    I've been sold on this season like 7 times already, so what can I say? :) I love the new elements, the new graphics, the new story, and while I heard only one piece of music, I just can't get it out of my head. I watched the trailer a dozen times already. April 15, here we come! :D
  • edited March 2010
    I was sold on it as soon as I saw the short teaser at the end of Rise of the Pirate God
  • edited March 2010
    I dare to say it, but it looks like the better than tales of monkey Island, and 33 days is not coming soon enough wich means, I can't wait to own it.
  • edited March 2010
    The days are moving so slowly.... I want Sam & Max so much! It's hard to wait an entire month. In the meantime, I'm picking up the second season for Wii this weekend. I'll play through the first two seasons. Hopefully that'll get me up to April.
  • edited March 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    I was sold on it as soon as I saw the short teaser at the end of Rise of the Pirate God

When ToMI was announced, it was quickly noticed that Chuck Jordan isn't on the roster, and someone from the TTG staff hinted that he was engaged on some other project sounding suspiciously similar to Sam and Max Season 3. I think that was the first real reason to become excited about this season.

Btw., a question to any visiting Telltale-er: from June 2009 to April 2010 it's 10 months. If I recall correctly, this seems to be longer than the "usual" production cycle for a TTG episodic series. Was there any special reason for this?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Anyone curious about Max's psychic powers should read the Beast from the Cereal Aisle comic in Surfin the Highway. His latent psychic abilities have been around for a while, they just don't show up that often.
  • edited March 2010
    Also, the Coffee machinima and the "lagomorphic mind meld" in The Second Show Ever.
  • edited March 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Anyone curious about Max's psychic powers should read the Beast from the Cereal Aisle comic in Surfin the Highway. His latent psychic abilities have been around for a while, they just don't show up that often.

Hey, that's right. Had forgotten about that, thanks for reminding me.
    Still, i could argue that it felt more like a joke (in that anything, no matter if it's believable or not, can happen as long as it's fun and keeps the story going way) than a definite aspect on the character in there, but hey, i'm sure it's gonna work in the end, and it sure sounds very interesting as far as the gameplay is concerned.
  • edited March 2010
    well it explains why Sam isn't too shocked by the fact that "Max has psychic powers now apparently"
  • edited March 2010
    I'm really excited about the stylish presentation choices at play, it feels appropriate and looks fresh. Pulls from some cool Sci-Fi and cinematic influences that aren't often used in gaming, and will likely help keep the episodic arc feeling cohesive as it moves forward.
  • edited March 2010
    I like how they turned Meesta Pizza from some random place you can call to a place that you can (apparently) visit, as shown in that screenshot that I can't seem to find anymore.
  • edited March 2010
    StonkBad wrote: »
    I like how they turned Meesta Pizza from some random place you can call to a place that you can (apparently) visit, as shown in that screenshot that I can't seem to find anymore.
    Here you go, courtesy of Telltale's VIP page.
  • edited March 2010
    yeah, all of the images on the site are borken for some odd reason
  • edited March 2010
    I'm very, very excited! This Season looks to be hilarious, though I am concerned about the graphics. They look great, but I don't know if my computer can handle them, so I'm going to hold off until a demo is released.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Hey, that's right. Had forgotten about that, thanks for reminding me.
    Still, i could argue that it felt more like a joke (in that anything, no matter if it's believable or not, can happen as long as it's fun and keeps the story going way) than a definite aspect on the character in there, but hey, i'm sure it's gonna work in the end, and it sure sounds very interesting as far as the gameplay is concerned.

I think Max's mental abilities were potentially also going to come into play in the comic with Max getting shocked and replaced by the monkey, too, but I haven't really thought or asked Steve Purcell about that book in almost a decade. But yeah of course it's there for jokes! It's nice tonally for the weird sci-fi stuff and I think opens up the gameplay in interesting places, and there's precedence in the books. Also Max gets to pull silly-putty like substance out of a giant plastic nose and rub it on things.
  • edited March 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    Also, the Coffee machinima and the "lagomorphic mind meld" in The Second Show Ever.
    And his religious vision in Night of the Raving Dead.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah the streets and all areas IMO in the older Seaons was to static, neat and clean. The more dirty and gritty looks fits very well.

I Hope there might also be more life, it doesnt have to be people that we can talk to, and or it would be crazy wierd animals or whatever. just spice the areas up a bit, moving NPCs would help also :) if bosco could have moved around in his shop spying on your from different places haha, that could have been funny, he could even be STALKING you in a garbage can.
  • edited March 2010
    I love the new direction they're taking, I hope it works out :) looks like a really original element to add to the adventure/puzzle canon.

I also love the changes to the engine, for instance the self-shadowing on Sam in that Meesta Pizza screen.
  • edited March 2010
    serializer wrote: »
    I also love the changes to the engine, for instance the self-shadowing on Sam in that Meesta Pizza screen.
    Agreed, but the self-shadowing could really use some blurring - in that screenshot it looks really edgy...
  • edited March 2010
    Looks to me like the biggest and most complex series Telltale has made yet.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Screenshot is potentially using older shadows before they got smoothed out. They look pretty darn good these days.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.