Season 3 Pre-order on Steam

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Just verified that it was, in fact, an error on our submission forms. The Steam version of the game WILL NOT HAVE SECUROM. Thank you, that is all.

:)

Thank you for this information :)

I'm glad this was an error ... now it's a must-buy! :D
  • edited March 2010
    Hey guys, I just started up Steam, got the lil update news about Sam and Max season 3 pre order and, of course, instantly bought it, but for some reason it's not showing up in my games list like pre-orders usually do. I recieved an e-mail reciept as proof of purchase, so it seems everything went through ok, but for some reason it's just not showing up. Anyone else having a similar issue?
  • edited March 2010
    Don't worry about it :)

It's all going to be fine. I don't think it shows up, yet.
  • edited March 2010
    He he, thanks. Thought as much, but thought it best to check extra early so I can play it on release. :)
  • edited March 2010
    Just FYI, Steam TellTale releases always come a few hours later.
  • edited March 2010
    Mothhive wrote: »
    He he, thanks. Thought as much, but thought it best to check extra early so I can play it on release. :)

The first episode will appear on your list when it is released on steam.
    And that might be a few hours or even a day after it is released here.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    FYI, Steam website has been updated. All mention of SecuRom has been officially excised. http://store.steampowered.com/app/901399/
  • edited March 2010
    I have a question though: will I be able to activate any Devil's Playhouse episodes onto steam and have the display and other wahoo the same for the episodes?
  • edited March 2010
    It is unlikely that if you buy it direct from Telltale that you will be able to activate it on Steam. It should, however, be able to be added as a non-Steam game shortcut. I've done that for S&M S2 and the overlay worked just fine.

-HM
  • edited March 2010
    Hmm i prefer buying TTG products here. It's a little bit like going to your local store. Beside of this it works fine, it's cheaper, now that gametap days are gone you're getting the games when they are done and hmm dunno i feel more productive?
  • edited March 2010
    Hm. I haven´t really checked how the Securom version for games bought through Telltale Store works, and I have a new Windows installation now, so I can´t see it here either. Does that version with online activation actually install anything on your computer (hidden files, services, etc)? Does the disc check version for the DVD´s install anything similiar?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    The downloadable versions of the games do not install anything extra onto your computer. *Some* of the older disk versions of the game used to install their disk checking version of the SecuRom, but I honestly can't remember which versions. I'll poke around and get back to you.

At any rate, it's something we are trying to move away from, so I would be pretty shocked if Season 3 did any installation.
  • edited March 2010
    At any rate, it's something we are trying to move away from, so I would be pretty shocked if Season 3 did any installation.

Does that mean that in the future we won't see a copyprotection in TTG games anymore? This would be very cool! I bought quite some indie games where this was the case last year and it always felt great.

One question i once was asking myself was: How good would it work if you're giving away games without a copy protection at least to those customers who have a track record of buying stuff from TTG.
  • edited March 2010
    More Steam love from me I guess. If it wasn't for Steam I would never have discovered/gotten Sam & Max =P

It's really all up to you. For me, Steam's extremely convenient because I play Valve and multiplayer games. The community and store features are great, as is the in game overlay (for chat, web access, server details etc). Not to mention you can access your games on any machine as long as you have your password, sometimes even saved games with Cloud.
    Plus there's often tons of sales on all kind of games.

Right now I'm torn between the PC version and the PS3. On the one hand, the PC, on the other, this machine already gives me framerate issues on all high details in season 2.

Maybe I should buy both. =o
  • edited March 2010
    The downloadable versions of the games do not install anything extra onto your computer. *Some* of the older disk versions of the game used to install their disk checking version of the SecuRom, but I honestly can't remember which versions. I'll poke around and get back to you.

I have so far bought the DVD´s for Sam&Max Season 1, Season 2 and Tales of Monkey Island. If any of those install securom drivers/services on my computer, they are unfortunately useless to me. I can´t accept it.
  • edited March 2010
    Incognito wrote: »
    I have so far bought the DVD´s for Sam&Max Season 1, Season 2 and Tales of Monkey Island. If any of those install securom drivers/services on my computer, they are unfortunately useless to me. I can´t accept it.
    Paranoid much?
  • edited March 2010
    Leak wrote: »
    Paranoid much?

No, it´s more about principles. I´m not prepared to accept having a service (that more resembles malware than anything else) always running on my computer, that adds no value to me, as a reward for being a paying customer.

Online activation is another thing, it´s standard for almost every application I use in my work as a system developer.
  • edited March 2010
    Nah, i preordered on TTG. I use Steam too, but TTG offers me unlimited downloads of my games via my account aswell. I haven´t had any problems with Sam&Max/ToMI DRM yet, although i´d prefer my games to be without DRM at all, to be honest.

Worst example of DRM gone wrong is Settlers 7, this is something i won´t support.
  • edited March 2010
    Hi,

I was wondering if a season 3 preorder bought though Steam still offers about the same incentives as a preorder bought from Telltale. I already own the Telltale Everything pack (love your games ;) ) on Steam and would very much like to add S&M season 3 there AND receive the goodies included with the Freelance Police Elite Forces membership.

According to various sources through Google the following text was published on the Store Page in the past:

"Get a FREE game with purchase: Sam & Max 203: Night of the Raving Dead

Get Freelance Police Elite Forces membership, which entitles you to:

* Access to private forum – featuring scheduled chats with Steve Purcell, series designers and more
    * Special ‘member’ preview area – get first look at sneaks from upcoming episodes first!
    * Elite Forces downloads – avatars, wallpaper
    * Elite Forces pass for Telltale Store – monthly special deals thru Sept 2010"

But currently only the "Get a FREE game with purchase: Sam & Max 203: Night of the Raving Dead" part is mentioned on the page (at least here in the Netherlands).

Could someone, anyone (bonus points if you are a Telltale or Valve employee ;) ) tell me if the Freelance Police Elite Forces membership is still included while preordering from Steam? Since I have nearly every other title ever made by Telltale (including all S&M episodes) and very much would like to (pre)order season 3 I feel that I am somewhat entitled to get this membership aswell ;)

Thanks!
  • edited March 2010
    Hey woah, they disappeared on my end, too! The extra bonus stuff was there before....:confused:
  • edited March 2010
    Hey woah, they disappeared on my end, too! The extra bonus stuff was there before....:confused:

Same here, great solution just pretend it was never offered:rolleyes:
  • edited March 2010
    wingers17 wrote: »
    Same here, great solution just pretend it was never offered:rolleyes:

I can't do that Dave.

But yeah when I preordered it on Steam I distinctly remember all the bonuses, now there's only the free game, which is a little pointless because I already have seasons 1 and 2 in their entirety. I know I could have bought it here, but I'm in the UK, and would prefer to deal with things in pounds (crafty conversion fees be damned!).

If Telltale had a European store thought...
  • edited March 2010
    Zonino wrote: »
    I can't do that Dave.

But yeah when I preordered it on Steam I distinctly remember all the bonuses, now there's only the free game, which is a little pointless because I already have seasons 1 and 2 in their entirety. I know I could have bought it here, but I'm in the UK, and would prefer to deal with things in pounds (crafty conversion fees be damned!).

If Telltale had a European store thought...

I was talking about Steam changing the Ad and acting like it was never part of the deal!:p
  • edited March 2010
    I preordered under certain conditions, that now it seems aren't gonna be met. Should I ask for a refund now?
  • edited March 2010
    Zonino wrote: »
    I know I could have bought it here, but I'm in the UK, and would prefer to deal with things in pounds.
    Actually, paying it here I would loose 35 dollar, which is a nice amount. If I bought it with Steam, I would have lost 35 euro, the difference between I could purchase the whole ToMI Deluxe DVD with here!
  • edited March 2010
    Newblade wrote: »
    I preordered under certain conditions, that now it seems aren't gonna be met. Should I ask for a refund now?

Yes. Or at least e-mail Steam and ask why they changed it. In fact I may do that too.
    Actually, paying it here I would loose 35 dollar, which is a nice amount. If I bought it with Steam, I would have lost 35 euro, the difference between I could purchase the whole ToMI Deluxe DVD with here!

For me it was £24.99. If I had bought it from here it would have been £22.94, however currency conversion would have bumped that up a little more, so in the end it might have cost more to buy it from here. For you however it was a saving, but alas such is the price of having a stronger currency.
  • edited April 2010
    Bump

Any news on this?

(Yes, I want both threads bumped. So sue me.)
  • edited April 2010
    Hey everyone

I've pre ordered Sam and Max Season 3 through steam but for some reason it isn't showing up under my steam games list. Every game I've pre ordered on steam up to this point has put it under my games list with a notation to the side saying 'Not Yet Released'

Example: I also pre ordered Serious Sam The Second Encounter with S&M

http://imgur.com/ztEDg.jpg

(don't worry I haven't tricked anyone into loading a dirty picture)

I've searched my entire Steam list and can't find The Devils Playhouse anywhere. Has it does this to anyone else or are they just waiting till release day until they add it to our Steam lists.
  • edited April 2010
    I think that's a question you'd probably have to direct to Valve. Can't hurt to ask here, but the Telltale guys don't run the Steam service...Valve does.

-HM
  • edited April 2010
    Well it is a good idea to ask here because the Steam page links to here. The forum link instead of going to the their own forums comes here.

Don't worry, me too ordered from Steam and I have no icon. I think that this is a very bad idea and they should always add an icon in our list for every game that we buy.
  • edited April 2010
    It's not a big deal I was just curious , If it's not there on launch day then I'll start to worry :D
  • edited April 2010
    Its a problem or something on Telltale's end, nobody i know who bought on steam have had Sam & Max Season 3 show up.

Also its not Valve we contact, its Telltale, then they contact Valve to solve the problem is there is one :)
  • edited April 2010
    dfielder wrote: »
    It's not a big deal I was just curious , If it's not there on launch day then I'll start to worry :D
    You usually have to wait a while longer than us here before Steam launches the game, so start worrying...
  • edited April 2010
    dfielder wrote: »

It will be there once the game is released on steam and you restarted the steam client.
  • edited April 2010
    A similar thing occurred with Dragon Age: Awakenings, it only appeared in the Steam list a day or so before it was released.
  • edited April 2010
    Does something have to be pre-loadable to end up on the games list?

I don't know. I've never pre-ordered a game on Steam(Civilization V will likely be the first that I do).
  • edited April 2010
    Does something have to be pre-loadable to end up on the games list?

I don't know. I've never pre-ordered a game on Steam(Civilization V will likely be the first that I do).

No. Most of the times the game will be there with a hint when it is released.
    Telltales Episodes only appear when they are released or when there is an error. (like the supposed 5th Episode of Wallace And Grommit)
    Steam also likes to state on the storefrontpage that the episodes are released when they are not (remember the ToMI-episodes, with every episode people were thinking it was released early because of steam)
  • edited April 2010
    Is there any time frame for when us steam users are going to get the game? I really enjoy buying things through steam, but I rather dislike being left in the dark when it comes to things actually being released.
  • edited April 2010
    JoshuaC, Telltale always just specifies a day rather than a specific time for any of their releases here. The reason is so that they can do last minute testing and work out any kinks they may find while still actually releasing it on the promised day (PST). I'd say if you want a time frame, watch for the rejoicing here and then start checking Steam and it will probably be there within a few hours.
  • edited April 2010
    As someone who owns Sam&Max seasons 1-3, ToMI and 2 wallace and gromit episodes, I am pretty disappointed in TT that I didn't get what was advertised to me when I purchased my steam pre-order. I'm not going to make a big commotion or ask for my money back, you'll always be one of my favorite devs who I wish nothing but success for, but it irks me that you couldn't at least tell us that it wasn't going to happen in regards to the bonus forum access...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.