Season 3 Pre-order on Steam

edited April 2010 in Sam & Max
Will the game be released on Steam like every other Telltale games?
Will there be some pre-ordering on Steam?
If yes (and if you can answer now), when?

Thanks for your answers

Comments

• edited March 2010
    always remember: you will not get the DVD with the steamversion and the episodes will be released a little bit later
  • edited March 2010
    I will definitely go with Steam. They charge a lot to ship the free DVD.
  • edited March 2010
    Zodler wrote: »
    I will definitely go with Steam. They charge a lot to ship the free DVD.

You don't need to get the DVD shipped. I own all of the DVDs, but my copies are still at the warehouse. I'll ship them all in one go, when things get cheaper.
  • edited March 2010
    Do what I did, preorder S&M season 3, get the special version of ToMI, and any other one thing, your order's over $50 - so it's free shipping! Then get all the discs you're entitled to!!
  • edited March 2010
    zmally wrote: »
    Do what I did, preorder S&M season 3, get the special version of ToMI, and any other one thing, your order's over $50 - so it's free shipping! Then get all the discs you're entitled to!!
    Orders for $49.90 qualify as well. They didn't for a short while, but that was apparently a glitch or an oversight on their part. I just ordered the Deluxe Edition DVD and pre-ordered Sam and Max, and got free shipping for my Tales Deluxe DVD and Wallace and Gromit DVD.
  • edited March 2010
    STEAM VS. TELLTALE:

* Same price
    * No DVD vs. Free DVD plus shipping
    * Steam DRM vs. the more unannoying TTG DRM
    * Released later vs. released sooner
    * No extra's vs. exclusive forum, free episode, poster price contest
    * Valve takes a chunk vs. TTG gets all to make more great games

I am not seeing why ANYONE would prefer Steam, for any reason... may be me. Tell me Zodler.
  • edited March 2010
    STEAM VS. TELLTALE:

* Same price

Only if you happen to live outside of europe.
    I guess it will be 35€ on Steam for me which is a lot more.
    I don't mind Steam.

But one huge plus for telltale is the fact that I can let my friends & Family use my account and play the games at the same time.
  • edited March 2010
    STEAM VS. TELLTALE:

* Same price
    * No DVD vs. Free DVD plus shipping
    * Released later vs. released sooner
    * No extra's vs. exclusive forum, free episode, poster price contest
    * Valve takes a chunk vs. TTG gets all to make more great games

I am not seeing why ANYONE would prefer Steam, for any reason... may be me. Tell me Zodler.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Especially the last bit. Great gaming company's are now almost totally unexistant, TellTale being one of the few i respect, so i try to encourage them. Of course that's just me being selfish, because i want them to keep making the games i love most:)
  • edited March 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    Only if you happen to live outside of europe.
    I guess it will be 35€ on Steam for me which is a lot more.
    YIKES. Didn't they drop that extortion program?
    If not, then yes... you can get ToMI special edition + S&M3 + free shipping here for the price of a S&M3 from Steam (49.90 dollar = 36.xx (forgot the specifics) euro).
  • edited March 2010
    Anyway that didn't answer my questions.

For my choise on steam: First, I don't mind not having a DVD or not. Second, waiting a little won't kill me. Third, steam DRM work well for me. Fourth, I won't go to an exclusive forum anyway. Finally, Valve doesn't take a real big chunk, as stated here by Ron Carmel, co-founder of 2D BOY : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/10/12/the-steamy-issue-of-digital-distribution/
  • edited March 2010
    pcpc9 wrote: »
    Second, waiting a little won't kill me.

Try saying that after you've waited up til 5am for ToMI 5 to get released, only to discover it's been released on TTG website but have to wait til lunchtime the next day for the Steam release .

Remember, "a little" suddenly seems like a whole lot longer when deadlines overrun...

After that particular experience I will certainly be buying everything direct from TTG.

Steam is great for releases and bundles, and for companies that release only thru Steam ... and yes the downloads are extremely fast, I doubt TTG will give me 2mb/sec on release day :) But since Telltale do have their own delivery network it really is best to go direct to them...
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah i wouldn mind steam either, its nice having all my games in one spot :)

Its good to see someone commenting on the idiots that think Valve exploits companies, when they get on steam they get a ton of features and access to what 15-20-25million potential customers :)

Steam is a lifesaver for many indie developers.

And seeing what other companies can hatch of ideas, Oh hello Mr Ubisoft, lets make a new DRm which boots you out of your payed game everytime youre internet is a bit unstable. Steam has offline mode, and you will always be able to play your games even if steam suddenly explodes and dies.

Yeah steam has been very good lately in terms of download speed im not sure what they changed, but i can never get 2.5MB/s (2500kb/s) from Telltale, but i can from steam, man that IS FAST! :D
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, it can reach those that do not known of better deal they get at TTG's site, that's true.
    Still, $35 for TTG or $35-(Valve Cut) still means buying here gets them more, whatever the size of the cut Valve takes.

Lastly; I wish to say offline mode doesn't always work either. I only have one steam-game (AudioSurf) and it has been unable several times to boot under offline modus because Steam disallowed that...
  • edited March 2010
    I'll allways prefe the great TTG. Because I don't want steam to get the cut of something that Telltale deserves. I would rather telltale get all my money than steam.
  • nikasaurnikasaur Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    pcpc9 wrote: »
    Will the game be released on Steam like every other Telltale games?
    Will there be some pre-ordering on Steam?
    If yes (and if you can answer now), when?

Thanks for your answers

Yes, The Devil's Playhouse will be on Steam, but I lack information on pre-ordering. When I know, I'll let you guys know.
  • edited March 2010
    That is great news.
  • edited March 2010
    serializer wrote: »
    Try saying that after you've waited up til 5am for ToMI 5 to get released, only to discover it's been released on TTG website but have to wait til lunchtime the next day for the Steam release .

Remember, "a little" suddenly seems like a whole lot longer when deadlines overrun...

A little for me would be 2 or 3 days. I don't need to play a game right when it release. I don't mind waiting.

Don't you think that Telltale loses money by sending you a free (+ shipping fee I think) DVD?, and by giving you an access to a forum and a fast download server? Steam gives a download server, so I don't think it makes such a big difference for Telltale.
  • edited March 2010
    Normally I wouldn't mind 2 or 3 days, but when we'd already waited over a week past the release date, and I'd stayed up all night waiting on the final release day only to find I had to wait another day ... Just saying ... I'm pretty sure you'd be disappointed as well ;)

But in terms of how much money Telltale make, I doubt it makes much difference either way. Either Valve's cut, or their own media and distribution costs, probably balances out roughly the same - otherwise they'd make the prices different.
  • edited March 2010
    Yup, especially when combining it with free shipping as they do now.

Okay, if we ignore the money point, there are still 5 points left why I prefer TTG over Steam ;).
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I can't comment on pre-ordering since I don't actually know, but I do want to comment on Steam itself. Steam is awesome. Totally amazingly awesome, ESPECIALLY to small companies like us. Now, we have some pretty amazing deals on our site, so in my mind it does make more sense to buy through us, but I can totally understand why someone would want to buy through Steam instead.

So yeah, no need to hate on Steam. They are Good People.
  • edited March 2010
    You may like one service or another. I really depends on your needs as a player.

For me, it's really having every game on the same service that makes me go with Steam
  • nikasaurnikasaur Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Remember the thread where that guy asked what Steam was, and whether it was reputable?

I loved that thread.

Please don't necro it though.
  • edited March 2010
    Nope. And searching for "Steam" gives 20 pages full of threads I don't really want to browse through to find out about it (especially considering I have no clue what exactly to look for).

Got a link or some more hints to trim the search results some?
  • edited March 2010
    Nope. And searching for "Steam" gives 20 pages full of threads I don't really want to browse through to find out about it (especially considering I have no clue what exactly to look for).

Got a link or some more hints to trim the search results some?
    No problem.
  • edited March 2010
    Thanks.
  • edited March 2010
    The truth is, that I had heard of Steam a while back, but I have only ever used it once, and that was for SMI:SE. Considering that it's my only Steam game, I was rather adamant about removing the Steam interface from the game itself, so Steam doesn't bother me when I play it. If I had numerous Steam games, I might have felt differently, but I only have the one.

This isn't to say that I don't have lots of games. I have a ton. Quite a few though are for consoles. That, and the fact that I'm old enough to have played the EGA version SMI on diskette when I was a kid, means that I don't need Steam to have old games.

EDIT: No hate from me on Steam though, really. I imagine that it provides as a good way to get the word out about TTG's games.
  • edited March 2010
    Bumping out of unbridled Steam pre-order interest.
  • edited March 2010
    Slightly out of topic. Why you should order over steam? Lower prices?
    If it is not it I really cannot understand, this site is flawless: pay, download, play. No hassles*, no mess of stupids programs: only a slightly annoying check the first time... And you can re-install in case of need.

(*if you are windows user, otherwise you might have problems)
  • edited March 2010
    Automatic updates, being older and not wanting to mess around with a whole bunch of physical media that can be lost or damaged and multiple accounts/services for digital game distribution. Keeps things orderly.

I would be happy to pay Telltale directly more often if you could activate their products on steam.
  • edited March 2010
    If you are happy fine.
  • edited March 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Steam is awesome. Totally amazingly awesome, ESPECIALLY to small companies like us.
    Right. I bought a whole lot of indie games there of which I otherwise would have never even heard of and some of these games got some pretty high places in my favourite game list. (e.g. Aquaria or Eschalon Book 1)
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    That, and the fact that I'm old enough to have played the EGA version SMI on diskette when I was a kid, means that I don't need Steam to have old games.
    I am not as lucky. I have no idea where to get a legal copy of let's say kings Quest 5 for a reasonable price. So I got those from steam. A shame that those games still will not work unless I use ScummVM. The included version of dOsbox really doesn't help in this case.
  • edited March 2010
    You can now pre-order the new season on Steam.
  • edited March 2010
    Hero1 wrote: »
    You can now pre-order the new season on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/901399/

including:
    3rd-party DRM: SecuROM

Seriously, why did you put this into the Steam version? There really is NO need for it.

Won't buy it if there's Securom included.
  • edited March 2010
    fresco wrote: »

well it's included in all their online-game games. Even if you buy on this site.
  • edited March 2010
    This is good news. So what happened to all the exclusive things to this site? We also get them all on Steam :) (except the DVD). They should add the DVD offer (shipped from telltale) to the Steam also.
  • edited March 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    well it's included in all their online-game games. Even if you buy on this site.
    Thing is, it makes sense here. Steam itself is already essentially DRM, though, so I don't see the point.

Also, wow, pre-order bonuses on Steam? That's extremely cool of Telltale.
  • edited March 2010
    It would be more cool if they add the DVD! :) Come on Telltale.
  • edited March 2010
    Also, wow, pre-order bonuses on Steam? That's extremely cool of Telltale.

I couldn't believe it at first. And then just about fell out of my chair when the really-for-realness of it hit me.

This is supremely awesome news for Steam users.
    edited March 2010
    fresco wrote: »
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/901399/

including:

Seriously, why did you put this into the Steam version? There really is NO need for it.

Umm.... I'm pretty sure that's wrong. In fact I'm definitely sure that's wrong. I'll see if I can get someone to fix that. The steam version shouldn't include any sort of DRM beyond what already exists in Steam.
    edited March 2010
    Just verified that it was, in fact, an error on our submission forms. The Steam version of the game WILL NOT HAVE SECUROM. Thank you, that is all.

:)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.