Interview with Brian Sommer, voice of Brady Culture and Jurgen's Monster

edited March 2010 in Sam & Max
I hope I'm not becoming known as "that guy who posts links to his interviews". Nevertheless, despite my concerns, I return with another thread to plug my latest with Brian Sommer, voice of Brady Culture and Jurgen's Monster.

You'll notice from the pictures that Brian likes to dress well. He told me that he likes to bring a bit of class and fashion to his recording sessions, and that if his performance sucks, at least he looks good! But hey, I'm sure we think Brian nailed both aspects. ;)

Read on!

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Awesome interview once again, dude.
  • edited March 2010
    Brian Sommer's also one of the nicest guys you could hope to meet.
  • edited March 2010
    Shows like Inner Sanctum, The Jack Benny Show, The Great Gildersleeve, and The Shadow.

He listened to these shows as a kid? So did I! And I'm only nineteen!

He seems to be unimpressed by his looks but I think he's a really cool looking dude! And he's a fan of Billy West? Awesome.

This guy even put a bit of Jerry Lewis into Sam and Max when playing Jurgen's monster? Fantastic! I really liked Joey Camen's crazy attitude, but Brian Sommer easily beats him out as my favorite Sam and Max voice actor after this.
  • edited March 2010
    Greetings All,

A big Thank You to Joe at SamandMax.co.uk for 'hunting me down' and presenting me with some great questions to ponder.
    Chuck wrote: »

Chuck, that was awfully nice of you to say. I like to keep up the dichotomy of being a nice guy, but playing a bad guy. It keeps people guessing.
    He listened to these shows as a kid? So did I! And I'm only nineteen!

He seems to be unimpressed by his looks but I think he's a really cool looking dude! And he's a fan of Billy West? Awesome.

This guy even put a bit of Jerry Lewis into Sam and Max when playing Jurgen's monster? Fantastic! I really liked Joey Camen's crazy attitude, but Brian Sommer easily beats him out as my favorite Sam and Max voice actor after this.

Secret Fawful, you have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that someone of your generation listens to some of the great old radio dramas. Wonderful. Glad you enjoyed the interview and my 'tribute' to Jerry Lewis (ya gotta sneak Jerry in whenever you can).

Thank you all for your comments. Enjoy the continuing adventures of Sam and Max.

Brian
  • edited March 2010
    Brian, you make for a supremely cool interviewee (and a supremely cool person as well, it seems). :)

Pinchpenny, thanks for all of these great interviews so far! You deserve to share the recognition of supreme coolness for those alone, not to mention your fansite.
  • edited March 2010
    Chuck wrote: »

So his "worship me" worked on you then...
  • edited March 2010
    Brian, you make for a supremely cool interviewee (and a supremely cool person as well, it seems). :).

Light Rise, thank you for my newly bestowed coolness supremacy. I shall cherish it forever.

der_ketzer wrote: »
    So his "worship me" worked on you then...

Shhh...don't tell anyone, but Brady's hypnotic powers work on Soda Poppers AND Video Game Voice Over Directors (THAT is how I got the job)
  • edited March 2010
    People who love radio dramas get an instant addition to their coolness factor.
  • edited March 2010

This^

I actually know one other guy who also likes to listen to the old radio programs, but it saddens me to see how rare it is. If I do it, I'm sure plenty others do. There's nothing geeky about it; to me it's class if anything. Some people act like their ears are gonna fall of if they have to listen for once, but back then, everyone had to listen to radio programs. :D
  • edited March 2010
    I like listening to radio stuff. I'm not familiar with any of the English-language ones though. Suggestions would be appreciated ;)
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I like listening to radio stuff. I'm not familiar with any of the English-language ones though. Suggestions would be appreciated ;)
    The interview actually contains a few good suggestions when the subject comes up. I'd also suggest the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio play.
  • edited March 2010

Why Thank You. And may I say that you most certainly are...Rather Dashing.
    This^

I actually know one other guy who also likes to listen to the old radio programs, but it saddens me to see how rare it is. If I do it, I'm sure plenty others do. There's nothing geeky about it; to me it's class if anything. Some people act like their ears are gonna fall of if they have to listen for once, but back then, everyone had to listen to radio programs. :D

Secret, it is a case of imagination deprivation. With all the splashy special effects and so forth that we have in movies these days, you really don't need to imagine very much when watching them. It is all right there in front of you. When listening to a radio drama, you only get the sound. You have to fill in the rest with your mind. One of the great things about it is, no two people will 'see' the same thing. The experience is different for each listener. Each of the entertainment vehicles have their place. Each is good in its own way. I just hope we don't loose the ability to see wonderful things even if our eyes are closed.

Avistew, that is great to hear. There are TONS of great radio shows out there in just about any genre you could think of. Comedy, Mystery, Action. And thanks to the ol 'inter-web' a lot of them are a simple 'click' away. For comedy, you can't beat the Jack Benny Show, or the Fred Allen Show. Those are classic. Mystery had some great shows as well, like Suspense, and The Whistler. Of course some of the Classic TV shows started out as classic radio shows, like Dragnet and Gunsmoke. There really is a lot out there. Tune in, and enjoy

Brian
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew, that is great to hear. There are TONS of great radio shows out there in just about any genre you could think of. Comedy, Mystery, Action. And thanks to the ol 'inter-web' a lot of them are a simple 'click' away. For comedy, you can't beat the Jack Benny Show, or the Fred Allen Show. Those are classic. Mystery had some great shows as well, like Suspense, and The Whistler. Of course some of the Classic TV shows started out as classic radio shows, like Dragnet and Gunsmoke. There really is a lot out there. Tune in, and enjoy.

Thanks! I'll check them out.

All of this made me think of something. I'm guessing most people here know about webcomics. Well the audio equivalent exists, at least in French. Does that exist in English too?
    I mean, I wouldn't call them "radio" anything since they've never been on the radio, and most of them never will be, either, they're just downloadable files added to a website once a month or so. But that's definitely the same kind of thing, you know, audio stories, just made by amateurs. Some go on for years and gather a cult following, just like webcomics.

That's one good thing about the Internet, it evens the playing field. You don't need to be rich or have connections to get your work out there and then everyone can enjoy it.

I guess it makes less of a difference for audio content, though. I mean, webcomics and comics aren't the same format, one is on paper and the other is on a screen, and that means that for instance webcomics don't have to be a consistent size, and things like that. But audio is audio, be it available as downloads on a website or something you can listen to on the radio (or both).
  • edited March 2010
    Hi Brian, just wanted to say that it's pretty cool that you're reading the forums. The Monster is one of my favorite characters in Sam & Max, and your acting is probably the biggest reason for that. I hope we'll get to hear more of your work soon!
  • edited March 2010
    Thanks! I'll check them out.

All of this made me think of something. I'm guessing most people here know about webcomics. Well the audio equivalent exists, at least in French. Does that exist in English too?
    I mean, I wouldn't call them "radio" anything since they've never been on the radio, and most of them never will be, either, they're just downloadable files added to a website once a month or so. But that's definitely the same kind of thing, you know, audio stories, just made by amateurs. Some go on for years and gather a cult following, just like webcomics.
    I know some, but it's relatively rare. I actually have considered starting one a couple times in my life. It has been one of those "in the back of your mind" fancies that probably won't go anywhere( :( ). The english internet audio world is pretty much dominated by podcasts, with people talking about a subject on a monthly or weekly basis.
  • edited March 2010
    Well Brian, I must say out of half of the voice cast I always loved the Monster and a little bit of Brady Culture. Hope to hear you again this year too!
  • edited March 2010
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    Hi Brian, just wanted to say that it's pretty cool that you're reading the forums. The Monster is one of my favorite characters in Sam & Max, and your acting is probably the biggest reason for that. I hope we'll get to hear more of your work soon!

splash1 wrote: »
    Well Brian, I must say out of half of the voice cast I always loved the Monster and a little bit of Brady Culture. Hope to hear you again this year too!

Tjibbbe I have said many times before that ultimately I work for the fans. You are the ones playing the games and experiencing the characters. So if you folks are taking the time to post your compliments or opinions, it would be terribly rude of me not to respond. So on that note...for you and Splash1, Thank You for your compliments. They truly do mean a lot to me. I hope my future performances will help to enhance the already wonderful experience created by so many talented people. Enjoy.

Brian
  • edited March 2010
    Brady Culture sounds like Kirk Van Houten.
  • edited March 2010
    tredlow wrote: »
    Brady Culture sounds like Kirk Van Houten.

Ha!! I never considered it Tredlow, but you are quite correct. They do share some vocal qualities. Good ear. If Hank Azaria is looking to retire anytime soon, I will be happy to step in. (at a ba-zillion dollars an episode, I would not mind a bit)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.