Gametap?

edited March 2010 in Sam & Max
Will the episodes be on Gametap, free on the first day of each release?

I already know I'm getting the season set in July or August as a birthday present. If it's not on GameTap, I'll have to do what I did with SBCG4AP before I could afford to buy it; watch the Let's Play walkthrough on YouTube & wait 5 months to actually get it. I'm sure I'm not the only bankaccountless sucker wondering about this.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    I've hear them say Season 3 will not be on gametap, only on PC,Mac,and PS3. Will be getting it.
  • edited March 2010
    Icedhope wrote: »
    I've hear them say Season 3 will not be on gametap, only on PC,Mac,and PS3. Will be getting it.

Yep, Gametap has been destroyed by the Telltale game workers.

No longer will we spend over 100 dollars waiting for a game that you should only spend 30$ on.
  • edited March 2010
    LikaLaruku wrote: »
    If it's not on GameTap, I'll have to do what I did with SBCG4AP before I could afford to buy it; watch the Let's Play walkthrough on YouTube & wait 5 months to actually get it.

Why would you want to watch walkthrough before solving the game yourself? Doesn't it kind of ruin the gaming experience?
  • edited March 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    Yep, Gametap has been destroyed by the Telltale game workers.

No longer will we spend over 100 dollars waiting for a game that you should only spend 30$ on.
    Well, it's actually more like playing a game you would have spent $30 on while also getting a ton of other games along with the package. If you consider playing the games as they come out a $30 value, it's more like an initial $30 included in the $100 service. Also, people generally bought the service for one month and played through all the games at once at the end.
  • edited March 2010
    Well, it's actually more like playing a game you would have spent $30 on while also getting a ton of other games along with the package. If you consider playing the games as they come out a $30 value, it's more like an initial $30 included in the $100 service. Also, people generally bought the service for one month and played through all the games at once at the end.

Actually you don't get anything. Using Gametap and other similar sites is just like renting a video game from a store. You gain only limited rights to the product and once you stop paying you lose your right to play the product.

Personally I would never subscribe to such site, because I rather pay $30, so that I can replay the game also in 2025 (Except if PC has died out at that time and there are no PC emulators. But that seems rather unlikely. Although there's a risk that in the future I can't find drives which can read floppies, CDs and DVDs. Currently I have that problem with my Amiga disks, because my Amiga went Kaputt in the mid 90s. And emulator doesn't help if your machine can't read the disks. Luckily I don't have that problem with my old PC games and my old 8bit Nintendo still works perfectly.)
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    I don't think Gametap is a bad service honestly. There are lots of games I played on Gametap that I would never have played under normal circumstances. Some of them were just silly little fun games I wouldn't have payed full price for, others were things I just hadn't ever heard of. Some of my favorite games of all time I first played through using Gametap, including Last Express, Planescape Torment, and Pyramid Magic. None of which I had even heard of before (yes yes, I'm a bad adventure gamer, sue me).

Sure you don't get to own physical copies of every single game, but frankly I only need physical copies of the stuff I REALLY love. And I've found that even when I have boxes for the stuff I love, I don't actually know what to DO with them. They usually end up at the bottom of a closet pretty quickly.
  • edited March 2010
    Will wrote: »
    I don't think Gametap is a bad service honestly. There are lots of games I played on Gametap that I would never have played under normal circumstances. Some of them were just silly little fun games I wouldn't have payed full price for, others were things I just hadn't ever heard of. Some of my favorite games of all time I first played through using Gametap, including Last Express, Planescape Torment, and Pyramid Magic. None of which I had even heard of before (yes yes, I'm a bad adventure gamer, sue me).

I didn't mean to sound overly critical. Sure I have rented movies and stuff in the past, so I'm not totally against that kind of service, but these days I have little time to play and there are actually more new releases and re-releases of the old classics than I have time to play. I recently bought Gabriel Knight 2 from GOG and pre-ordered season 3 of Sam and Max. Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island has been recently released, but I haven't had time to buy it yet and LeChuck's Revenge Special Edition and Gray Matter are released in the summer. So even without Gametap I've got my hands full.
    Sure you don't get to own physical copies of every single game, but frankly I only need physical copies of the stuff I REALLY love. And I've found that even when I have boxes for the stuff I love, I don't actually know what to DO with them. They usually end up at the bottom of a closet pretty quickly.

I have huge number of gameboxes and DVD cases and while my collection is often in the closet. Sometimes it's nice to take the stuff out and admire your collection and thinking which titles you still need to find to make your collection even more perfect. Unfortunately these days some games are direct download only and self-burned DVDs don't look as cool as the beautiful box art.
  • edited March 2010
    Actually you don't get anything. Using Gametap and other similar sites is just like renting a video game from a store. You gain only limited rights to the product and once you stop paying you lose your right to play the product.
    I don't see how that's so bad for the vast majority of games, though. Thinking back, there are easily less than ten adventure games I've played more than once, less than five I've played more than twice(Wits, Fists, Team!). For the vast majority of video games, the ability to continue playing years in the future just doesn't really matter to me, and apparently a lot of people share that belief.

Gametap isn't bad at all if you only plan to play once and be done with something. Though I buy Telltale's games from their store, I liked Gametap when I used it because it provided a lot of games for a relatively low price. The logic was very similar to renting: I just want to play once/for a few days, why should I pay full price to keep a box in my house?
    None of which I had even heard of before (yes yes, I'm a bad adventure gamer, sue me).
    No, you're a bad CRPG gamer, because Planescape: Torment is an isomentric CRPG(and one of the best, at that).
  • edited March 2010
    I don't think Gametap is a bad service honestly.
    ...says the former GameTap Lead QA. :D

It's not a bad idea if you take advantage of having so many games available, but I'm not really a fan of the all-you-can-play rental model when it comes to games. I'm sure some people find it a great service.

Right now (11:40AM PDT on a Thursday) it says that there are only 323 players online. I wonder if GameTap is struggling these days.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Usually people don't have great things to say about your former employer. :) I quite liked the service and the founding ideas behind it, or I wouldn't have stuck around nearly as long as I did.
  • edited March 2010
    I don't like renting. If I end up liking the thing I'm going to buy it and I'll have paid the rent price for nothing. So I prefer borrowing stuff (in libraries, etc) or buying them and reselling them.

As a teenager, I'd just buy games, play them, and sell those I didn't intend to replay, often for a profit. Much cheaper than renting and I don't run the risk of paying late fees.

That's another thing, when you rent, you have to play/watch the thing RIGHT NOW! Sometimes I feel like playing for an hour then not for a week. So I'd much rather buy for that reason.

I know, nobody asked me. But it should be clear by now that I like posting about stuff without being invited to.
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I know, nobody asked me. But it should be clear by now that I like posting about stuff without being invited to.
    Hey avistew, I'd like to invite you to post in any thread you want about whatever rant you happen to have on your mind.

AHA. I just took away the joy of posting without invitation.
  • edited March 2010
    As many others I like replaying games years later. As such a physical copy suits me better than a service. Not to mention most new games don't really interest me, and the ones that do I generally get from the bargin bin (hunting for ME1 now for example) a time later.
    Sure, I run like a year or more behind other people, but I don't really care. Let them play the latest of the latest.
    I rarely make exceptions, but I do in this case for S&M Season 3.
    but frankly I only need physical copies of the stuff I REALLY love.
    I don't. That's why I really like TTG's system of getting a DVD in the end instead of just being stuck with digital ones and zero's only.
    (Not saying I don't really love Sam&Max and ToMI though :p)
  • edited March 2010
    AHA. I just took away the joy of posting without invitation.

OR, you just took the blame for all my future posts :P
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    OR, you just took the blame for all my future posts :P
    Sure, you can tell yourself that if it makes you feel any better. But we both know, and everyone else knows, that you would have gone about your ranting despite any lack of invitation.

Yeah, we know.

We know.
  • edited March 2010
    We do?

But yeah, I post without invitation all the time as well. That's what this is a forum for.
    You can't silence me! (okay, well, mods can, but you can't! :p)
  • edited March 2010
    I've been renting games for the past 6 months now. For £10 a month, I can rent as many games as I like (consoles only though, understandably) but only one at a time. So far I've rented 12 games in that time, all of which at one point or another I've considered buying but after playing the rentals I'm glad I didn't. It's saved me a lot of money - around £300 by my reckoning (at about £30 though not taking into account trade ins and/or resales).
  • edited March 2010
    GameTap was really at its best with Sam & Max games coming every month. Once that ended, and Uru ended, and they stopped adding retro games and only adding really shovelware-looking PC games, and once they killed the standalone client in favor of an extremely obnoxious web plugin, then it started to get stale. But back in the old days it was awesome.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.