S&M 301 crash woes (Mac)

2»

Comments

• edited April 2010
    BaboTron wrote: »
    Yeah, I've got the choppy graphics thing going on, as well.

For the record, this is the comptuer I'm playing it on:

15" MacBook Pro 3,1 (late 2007) 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM and the 8600M GT graphics card, running OS X 10.6.x.

I played Monkey Island on this computer at 1900x1200 on my external monitor in full-screen mode without any issues... but this game is basically unplayable to me right now.

Same here.....with similar specs as yours.....
  • edited April 2010
    yep still got it.

When I put it in windowed mode with quality three it worked for a playthrough, and now same setting it crashes in an entirely different spot.

but that was the exact spot and I do not know how to get my crash report as I close them too fast because the fact that apps automagically sending reports to apple annoys me. I am usually the cause for my crashes
  • edited April 2010
    Having the same problem here, my report follows. Mac OS 10.6, running on an Imac 3.06 ghz core duo, 4 GB ram etc.
  • edited April 2010
    I switched to lowest resolution, windowed mode, and graphics quality five, then restarted my computer. I got through the problem section (in the credits) fine and then afterward raised the quality of everything back as high as they would go. No problems so far. Haven't finished the game yet, but as soon as I do I'll see if I can replay it on the highest graphics settings from the beginning.

UPDATE: I finished the game on level 9 graphic settings, second highest resolution, full screen mode with nothing more serious than a few hiccups. Then, I went back and played the beginning to see if the credits would work with these settings, and with the exception of a slight pause when picking up
    bazooka max
    everything worked fine. Maybe the game just needs a restart?
  • edited May 2010
    So is there any sort of update from Telltale on this? I've been giving them the benefit of the doubt, but with the second episode around the corner already, I'd like to see this get fixed and hope that it doesn't do this for the next episode...
  • edited May 2010
    At first time, i didn't have the crash but the game was completely unplayable because of the lag (the resolution and the quality were at the lowest...). I left the game, started again and since then it crashes at the same spot in the credits...
  • edited May 2010
    Im unsure whether I should start a new topic, because I do not experience a crash during intro/credits. Still the game is virtually unplayable due to very bad performance - and this does come as a surprise having played TOMI on a macbook/win xp (2008, intel gma x3100, graphics level 4) experiencing no performance issues whatsoever. in the meantime I have bought a macbook pro (mid 2009, nvidia 9600m gt) and the penal zone is unplayable on os x 10.6.3 and graphics level 1! I already selected the faster graphics card in the system settings. any help appreciated!
  • edited May 2010
    SamMax301 Version 1.0.0.25 always crashes after playing the introductory level, right after Sam & Max are driving in their car.

System Specifications:
    MacBook Pro 17" Intel Core Duo 2.16 GHz
    L2 Cache: 2 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.086
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP12.0061.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.5f10
    Mac OS X 10.5.8 Build 9L31a

Game Graphics Settings:
    Screen Resolution: 800 x 600
    Graphics Quality: 1
    Full Screen: off

Attached is the full Problem Report.

Tales of Monkey Island runs without a glitch on the same system.
  • edited May 2010
    C'mon, guys. This isn't how customer service is supposed to work. You've got a bunch of crash logs and repro instructions at this point. It's been a MONTH and there hasn't even been a lousy status update, or any kind of reassurance that anyone's even LOOKING at this crash that is preventing a bunch of people from getting more than 5 minutes into the episode. That's inexcusable. I expected better from you.

As someone who preordered S&M season 3 and has bought a bunch of your other series for Windows in the past, I'm going to start getting very unhappy if we don't at least get a status update soon.

I don't want my money back. I want the thing I bought to work the way it's supposed to, because I love your games and know it'll be worth the wait.

Matt
  • edited May 2010
    TellTale does not think this is a common problem. Here is their response to my support request:
    We don't have a patch available, what you're encountering isn't a very common thing so it's not something we've been able to fix. The best advice I can give you is to try downloading again just in case some files got corrupted, take the settings as far down as they can go and, if those fail as a last resort we can refund your purchase....
    ..... Unfortunately, all I know is that we've not done an update for 301 Mac and if one is planned it wouldn't be worked on until after the release of 302 next week (we're a small company so there isn't a separate update team). I'm sorry, I wish I could offer you better news than that.
  • edited May 2010
    Isn't a common problem??? Have they even looked at this thread?

I'm with Mongo42 on this. I pre-ordered Sam&Max 3, I own #1 and #2, plus all of Monkey Island.

This thread had a request for crash logs, giving us the false hope that you cared about the problem. Then we don't hear a single thing! At least give us the courtesy of coming back here and saying "Sorry- we're not going to fix it."
  • edited May 2010
    Tandem wrote: »
    TellTale does not think this is a common problem. Here is their response to my support request:

What about the Stuttering and Lag problems on Mac will they work on those issues?
  • edited May 2010
    I've exactly the same problem. Crashes during the credits at the same place as the previously posted pic. I've tried every different setting, window and full screen. I've tried restarting. Nothing helps. I'm on a MBP, 2.4GHz Intel C2 Duo, with 2GB SDRAM and the same NVIDIA 8600M GT as someone earlier on with the same laptop, running OS X 10.5.8.

The only thing that hasn't been mentioned on here so far is that I downloaded via Steam so thought it could be that and tried playing using the offline mode, thinking it might be Steam's mac teething problems, as my spec was as advised for play. Looks like it's the same as everyone else though.

The developers need to sort their priorities out. Small company or not, they need to fix this problem or they'll have people banging on the doors asking for their money back, and heaven forbid they'd even think about buying further chapters!

I'm just angry that I followed the specifics and made sure my system was (supposedly) correct before parting with cash. This is not how to run a business.
  • edited May 2010
    I've been managing to play through the game, with some difficulty; the framerate plummets in busy areas, and it's prone to crashing every once and a while. This, playing with quality 1 in windowed mode.

It's not ideal, but I need my S&M fix.
  • edited May 2010
    Just want to pitch in and say I have these problems too. It doesn't seem so isolated. And there are accompanying threads on the steam forums to match these.

I have crashes and very very low frame rates even at lowest screen resolution and graphics level 1. Game bought from steam. My mac is a late 2008 aluminium unibody MacBook with the nvidia 9400M, 2.4ghz c2d, 2GB RAM. Sent the crash reports off and i'll try to remember to save the next one and post it here.
  • edited May 2010
    One more for the pile, same setup as jackslash but with 4 gigs. when I'm on straight and Narrow the game becomes essentially unplayable. I'm seriously tempted to dust off bootcamp.
  • edited May 2010
    I just got a refund. That's what I'd recommend anyone with a Mac does.

Telltale just doesn't support their games very well anymore. A company that can't even get a console game to run smoothly is certainly not going to try to get a PC or Mac version to run well.

Until they start caring about game performance, I won't buy another Telltale game.
  • edited May 2010
    sxp151 wrote: »
    PC or Mac version
    There have been virtually no issues about the smoothness of the PC version. Please keep your complaints to issues you have personally experienced.

As for the Mac version, obviously Telltale hasn't been able to replicate the problem on a consistent basis. They've already done the right thing by refunding your purchase -- how many game companies will do that for their customers who experience technical issues?

They obviously do care about the performance of their games and keeping their customers happy.
  • edited May 2010
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    They obviously do care about the performance of their games and keeping their customers happy.

I agree that Telltale does care, but I do suspect they're under-estimating the number of affected users. Have they really not been able to reproduce the problem?

I was able to play through the game under parallels, so I was able to finish the first episode. Here's hoping episode 2 doesn't have the same problem!
  • edited May 2010
    I'm also having this problem. Same place and everything.

My system specifications are: OS 10.6.3, 3GB RAM, ATI HD 2400 XT, Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz. I've attached a crash report.
  • edited May 2010
    jholstei wrote: »
    I agree that Telltale does care, but I do suspect they're under-estimating the number of affected users. Have they really not been able to reproduce the problem?
    I think that the phrase "it's not something we've been able to fix" implies either (1) they can't reproduce the error or (2) they have found the bug but haven't found a solution to the problem, and they can't devote resources to work on it until after the new episode is launched tomorrow. Telltale couldn't reproduce an error in launching the Mac version of Tales of Monkey Island a while back (they actually requested people with the problem to bring their Macs to Telltale if they lived close to San Rafael), but they finally found the solution and released a new version.

I think the best solution for everyone in this thread is to e-mail support@telltalegames.com if you haven't already done so. Telltale assigns tickets to every support request, and they can get a better idea as to how widespread this problem is.

Remember that if you have an integrated graphics chip (Intel GMA) in your Mac, you don't meet the system requirements for S&M3 and no patch will help. The problem here is for people with actual non-Intel GPUs in their Macs.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm having the same problems on my Macbook pro 17".

I had to play though the start of the game 4 times. The fact that there aren't any save points (beyond the on posted in this thread) makes this crash extremely frustrating. First play through the framerate was choppy (surprising since this laptop ran Tales of Monkey Island on full), but the crash caught me off guard. The second play through I wanted to make sure it wasn't just random. Third I tried bumping everything down to what I'd consider a reasonably low setting (grabbed the save point listed above). But I eventually had to revert down to the lowest settings 800x600 level 1 quality.

I got through the intro, but the frame rate was atrocious. Strangely it got better when i bumped it up to 1680x1050 and quality 5.

If this whole experience has convinced me of anything, it's that TellTale needs to start pre-rendering more of it's cut-scenes. There's no reason that such static content should be rendered on demand, especially if the crazy effects you're generating for title sequences hit issues on individual platforms. Just crank everything up to 11, slap it into a video, compress, and play. You could use all the time people spend scratching their heads on a puzzle to pre-buffer the videos so they launch faster than choreographed animations.

Anyways, please please please look into fixing whatever driver issues that appear to be triggering these problems on Mac. I wouldn't consider it an uncommon problem since everyone's crashing in the exact same spot and there are 4 pages of responses. It's clearly reproducible, and you should have enough crash dumps to tell you the source of the problem.
  • edited May 2010
    On a quick try everything went smooth.

If you play for a longer time or start playing around with the options then stuttering shows up, the game slows down noticeable and you can't get rid of it anymore and instead you need a quit/restart. The Mac version still has a way to go.
  • edited May 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    If you play for a longer time or start playing around with the options then stuttering shows up, the game slows down noticeable and you can't get rid of it anymore and instead you need a quit/restart.

I second that. also, the problem gets worse much more quickly when I visit several locations. when I just switch between two locations, the game is way more stable. performance loss always occurs on changing to locations, which I have not visited since last application restart.
    my guess would be that this is a memory/cache issue (maybe I am wrong. but since noone else seems to be going to diagnose my problem, I might just as well give it a try myself, right?).
  • edited May 2010
    Ugh, no update then? I bought a whole series of game that i can only play up to where the demo stops.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Update for you all, things are being looked at. They have been being looked at, mind you, but it looks like we are really close to something.
  • edited May 2010
    Thank you, Will, for letting us know that something is happening. More details are better, of course, but I understand. :-)
  • edited May 2010
    I'm happy to report that after the first hour of play, Ep.2 has solved the crash problems for me seen in Ep.1. Good news!
    I'm running version 1.0.0.25, I'll DL the new one now.
    edited May 2010
    I moved my message into a slightly more applicable thread, but I honestly think the crash issue is directly related to the performance issues we were seeing. If 302 seems to be shaping up with issues solved and such, then we will try to quickly turn around and fix 301. I can't promise any sort of time frame unfortunately, but it's pretty darn high on my priority list.
  • edited May 2010
    Oh heck yea! 1.0.1.25 is MUCH faster. Good work guys!
  • edited May 2010
    Will wrote: »
    I moved my message into a slightly more applicable thread, but I honestly think the crash issue is directly related to the performance issues we were seeing. If 302 seems to be shaping up with issues solved and such, then we will try to quickly turn around and fix 301. I can't promise any sort of time frame unfortunately, but it's pretty darn high on my priority list.

Is fixing Mac ToMI on your list too?
    Right now i have a whole season of unplayable Mac ToMI...
    edited May 2010
    Things will likely be one step at a time for a bit I'm afraid. Rebuilding is no small task and it has to be inserted into an already swamped schedule. Also, I'm not entirely sure Monkey has the same problem, but I'll certainly look into it.
  • edited May 2010
    I also had the same problem on my standard MacBook, but on the iMac it worked without any flaws...
  • edited May 2010
    302 is same same.
    For me, trouble starts just when the projector starts running (different to my memory issue suggestion this points somewhere else, if you combine with the situation in 301. beam -> lighting -> T&L issue?) during the intro. The first gameplay scene here is pretty much as bad as the first scene in 301, and again, after a restart it is perfectly smooth. I experience no difference between 301 (10.0.0.25) and 302 (10.0.0.25) whatsoever. I have not tried reducing graphics quality/resolution, but this didn't help with 301 either.
    I really hope you guys find a solution soon! thanks for letting us know that you are working on it.

edit: just saw in the 302-thread that there already is a second version of 302 available. i hope that mine is the first one and will try downloading again (version no in the file name or on the download page would be great)
  • edited May 2010
    Well, for me the intro/credit sequence played completely without a crash in 302, so I suspect whatever bug was making the 301 version crash during the intro has been fixed. I am seeing graphic stuttering, though, so I'll likely re-download 302 tonight to make sure I have the latest build.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.