You guys should really fix the "no DVD for Steam users" thing guys...

2»

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Aradiel wrote: »
    I was aware and still went for the Telltale bundle.

Anyway, at the very least it shows that the "They can't tell who actually bought what from where" argument is not always true.

Actually, I believe the argument is that Telltale has no way of knowing whether someone actually purchased the game from Steam as Valve won't share specific sales data with them.

The TF2 items, on the other hand, were a matter of Telltale referencing their own records and making a Steam code available to those who purchased directly from Telltale.
  • edited September 2010
    Over the years I got too used to seeing game companies charge extra--rather than offering a fair price plus extras--for ordering directly from them. So I picked up the Strong Bad season off of a Steam sale without thinking to check the Telltale website first. (I have subsequently bought all seasons of Sam & Max directly, and so am a happy DVD-owning customer for those.)

I'd very much like to get the DVD for SBCG4AP someday, but am absolutely not going to pay $34.61 (the current price including shipping) for it, and don't see why I should be willing to, no matter how cheaply I was able to pick up the game previously on Steam.

Please understand, this is not one of those posts asking why you can't give out free stuff all day. I do want you to know, however, that I would be very happy to see one of the following options made available at some point:

1) A blowout sale on SBCG4AP that allows me to re-buy the game, directly from Telltale this time, at a price I can live with...and without you or me having to worry about my proving that I bought it earlier from Steam.

2) An offer for Steam purchasers to buy a DVD from you at a reduced price, if you could work out a suitable verification system.

For me, $10 including shipping would be a no-brainer price point for either of these options; $20 not including shipping would be a no-brainer no deal. Mileage for other customers may vary.
  • edited September 2010
    KevinTMC wrote: »
    1) A blowout sale on SBCG4AP that allows me to re-buy the game, directly from Telltale this time, at a price I can live with...and without you or me having to worry about my proving that I bought it earlier from Steam.

Well, SBCG4AP was on sale for $5 during Comic-Con, but it's over now. http://www.telltalegames.com/community/blogs/id-648
  • edited September 2010
    Harsh post, TTG employee.

But TTG can't give Valve costumers DVD's, because they cannot decide who actually bought it on Steam. Valve just doesn't give such info away, even TTG who could then also offer you DVD's.

You have to live with it, or order here in the future...

You get codes when you order from steam, so wouldn't the codes verify the purchases?
  • edited September 2010
    Only if Valve would give TTG the information what codes match a purchase.

From what I gather, they don't.
  • edited September 2010
    It's not really a stretch to think you get the best deal at the source (the developers) instead of the 3rd party (Steam), right?

Exactly. And it's not a stretch to think that the special offer from another company should only extend to people who ordered from that company.

Instead sense of entitlement kicked in and TTG purchasers got everything. Which is cool I guess but means little now.

I do have a question though. I couldn't really compare prices because Steam was in £ and this site uses $ AND I didn't check American Steam to see it's price.... but what was the price difference between TTG and Steam? For some reason... I find myself thinking it's important.
  • edited September 2010
    TTG is cheaper for non-dollar users, like ourselves.
  • edited September 2010
    I've got to say that I feel a little left out of all this banter. Seeing as I purchased my game from the PSN store.
    Someone help me out here! I just wanna see some behind the scenes stuff; outtakes, interviews, outtakes, concept art, bloopers, trailers, outtakes.....
Sign in to comment in this discussion.