Classic Sam & Max things that have returned!

edited April 2010 in Sam & Max
Has anyone else noticed that season 3 has a lot of classic Sam & Max stuff that we've never seen again up until now? Here's what I've noticed:
1) The new "use" icon is the same "use" icon from "Hit the Road"
2) Sam is seen eating those double frozen things that he used to in the comics
3) Driving to different areas using a map

That's all I've noticed so far (still yet to finish the game), anyone got anything else?

Comments

• edited April 2010
    FireAza wrote: »
    2) Sam is seen eating those double frozen things that he used to in the comics

As in...a Popsicle?

Also, we've got pigeons and rats and cockroaches everywhere, thank you Majus (and other interns and animators).
  • edited April 2010
    And when he's not looking at anything, Sam has a very similar expression to the one he has in Hit the Road.
  • edited April 2010
    I will be calling popsicles "double frozen things" from now on...

it was fun watching the rats do stuff.... I liked the little twitching passed out rat by the booze bottles.

Call me crazy but there was more crazy driving stunts and sight gags similar to hit the road
  • edited April 2010
    But no classic voices. Sad...

I hope they return in future redubbed versions of the episodes...
  • edited April 2010
    I have liked every Sam & Max voice actor so far.... in the old game, the show, first episode and all the rest of the episodes. Obviously they are different but every time I feel the actor "gets" the characters and that allows me to just sit back and enjoy.
  • edited April 2010
    lattsam wrote: »

No.

i actually like the new voice actors

Edit: I don't need to apologize to no one. Peeps should speak freely instead of pming me. It's weird. :(
  • edited April 2010
    Most people do, I think.

I liked all the voice actors too. They feel like the perfect voices for each interpretations of the characters.
  • edited April 2010
    The "Sam's hand cursor" has finally made a comeback! I was really stoked to see that thing after its absence from the first two seasons. Originally it was in Freelance Police as a continuity nod to Hit the Road, and I've been quietly rooting for its return ever since Telltale took over.

Also, in a really cool but subtle touch, it becomes Max's hand when you enter his head.
  • edited April 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    Most people do, I think.

I liked all the voice actors too. They feel like the perfect voices for each interpretations of the characters.

exactly..... I guess if I was forced to pick a favorite it would be David Nowlin and William Kasten
  • edited April 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I will be calling popsicles "double frozen things" from now on...
    That sounds like the kind of thing Sam and Max would eat anyway.. "Double Frozen Things: Not quite popsicles, but almost as good!"
  • edited April 2010
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    Edit: I don't need to apologize to no one. Peeps should speak freely instead of pming me. It's weird. :(

For liking the new guys? That is weird. I like Nowlan and Chaikin very much, pulling them at this stage after they've made the roles their own and we've grown accustomed to them would be pretty daft
  • edited April 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »
    For liking the new guys? That is weird. I like Nowlan and Chaikin very much, pulling them at this stage after they've made the roles their own and we've grown accustomed to them would be pretty daft
    Agreed. I love the new voices. I don't hate, dislike, or even NOT LOVE the voices for Hit the Road, but it has been over 20 years now, and the guys that are doing it now have done enough work in the franchise that it would be horrendously jarring to see the Telltale model with the Hit the Road voice casting. I love the old voices, yes, but I love the new ones as well, and it just wouldn't be right to replace them at this juncture.
  • edited April 2010
    If I were in charge of writing an episode, I'd find some way to have Sam & Max encounter goateed doppelgangers of themselves voiced by Bill Farmer & Nick Jameson.

But that's just me.
  • edited April 2010
    It would make me laugh.
  • edited April 2010
    ATMachine wrote: »
    Also, in a really cool but subtle touch, it becomes Max's hand when you enter his head.

That was such a small thing, but I loved it.
  • edited April 2010
    ATMachine wrote: »
    The "Sam's hand cursor" has finally made a comeback! I was really stoked to see that thing after its absence from the first two seasons. Originally it was in Freelance Police as a continuity nod to Hit the Road, and I've been quietly rooting for its return ever since Telltale took over.

Technically, the console ports of the first two seasons have Sam's hand as a cursor. :p
  • edited April 2010
    I like the hand cursor, although it took me a while to get over the fact that, in my mind, the hand is facing the wrong way...
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    If I were in charge of writing an episode, I'd find some way to have Sam & Max encounter goateed doppelgangers of themselves voiced by Bill Farmer & Nick Jameson.

But that's just me.

That's what I would do. If I had been working at Telltale during the making of Bright Side of the Moon, I would have been campaigning hard for the three split-personality Maxes to be voiced by Andrew Chaikin, Nick Jameson, and Robert Tinkler. Would have been amazing.

But I guess you don't see a lot of "cameo roles" in video game voice acting because even if you hire an actor for only a couple of lines, you have to pay them for the whole day. I read that somewhere.
  • edited April 2010
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    But I guess you don't see a lot of "cameo roles" in video game voice acting because even if you hire an actor for only a couple of lines, you have to pay them for the whole day. I read that somewhere.

Then it must be true!
  • edited April 2010
    Shaky as that may sound as evidence, it kinda makes sense.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    I read an interview once that said they wanted to get the animated series voices to voice the bad guys in the cancelled Freelance Police game when the Hit the Road actors were still doing the voices of Sam & Max. :)

So, the basic idea has been thought of before. At the time, LucasArts wasn't able to pull that off for whatever reason. It would be kind of cool if Telltale could get the Hit the Road actors in here and resurrect the idea in some way. If they managed to somehow get the animated series actors too and Telltale had three sets of Sams & Maxes like Max's split personalities in Bright Side of the Moon, that would be incredible. :D
  • edited April 2010
    If I were to write an episode I would do what Turtles Forever did and bring in all the past froms of sam and max, even the comic versions, which would only speak in speach bubbles
  • edited April 2010
    Apparently, someone I know sent Farmer and Jameson messages on Facebook about Sam and Max and they said they'd love to reprise the roles. I haven't spoken to them myself though, but I've considered it just to hear them say that for myself.
  • edited April 2010
    ...Goofy was the voice of Sam in Hit the Road? My mind is blown.
  • edited April 2010

No, I've grown too accustomed to William Kasten and whoever does sam (sorry i dont know your name that person!), and when I play Hit the Road it's just too weird.

In an unrelated note, I went to get my Max Watch fixed today and the man at the watch place looked at it and asked "is that sam or max?" and my mother's face went into "wtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtf" mode. she seriously thought there were about 6 people in the world who knew about sam & max, and now she knows otherwise.
  • edited April 2010
    and whoever does sam (sorry i dont know your name that person!)
    David Nowlin.
  • edited April 2010
    I always thought the voices fit their respective games. Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson's voices talked slowly and calmly, because Hit The Road's pace was much slower, and the player would stop to think several times before something happens.

Harvey Atkin and Robert Tinkler's voices talked fast, because the audience had nothing to do with the pace of the TV show, and the pace of the show is definitely faster than the games.

David Nowlin and William Kasten's voice is more in-between the other two. It's faster than Hit the Road, but slower than the TV show, because, while the pace is slower since it's a game, it is more cinematic than Hit The Road, and Sam and Max shows way more emotions than they did in Hit The Road.

Oh, also, why are there no Sam-isms? Couldn't Telltale just shove one up there? Or did I miss it?
  • edited April 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    David Nowlin.

I thought that but then i wasnt sure
  • edited April 2010

please not. I'm kind of used to the great voices in these games.
  • edited April 2010
    tredlow wrote: »
    Oh, also, why are there no Sam-isms? Couldn't Telltale just shove one up there? Or did I miss it?
    There is one near the end. Iirc it's
    when he sees the skeletons
  • edited April 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    There is one near the end. Iirc it's
    when he sees the skeletons

Remind me what he said, please. Someone's using my good computer and I can't replay it.
  • edited April 2010
    What's a Sam-ism?
  • edited April 2010
    Sounds like they're talking about lines like "Great gouts of steaming magma on a beeline for the orphanage!".
  • edited April 2010
    oh, right! then whats a max-ism? something like
    oh, yeah, touching is my third favourite thing to do to things. if anyone's curious, number 2 is "licking"!
    ?
  • edited April 2010
    oh, right! then whats a max-ism? something like
    oh, yeah, touching is my third favourite thing to do to things. if anyone's curious, number 2 is "licking"!
    ?

A Max-ism is basically anything Max says, then.
  • edited April 2010
    touchee
  • edited April 2010
    Speaking of voices, I rather liked Max's voice from the trailer (I believe it was done by the same guy who did Sam). While I'm fond of the new Max voice (their original choice for ep 1 of S1 sounded a little too cartoony if you ask me), I liked Max's accent in the trailer.
  • edited April 2010
    Speaking of voices, I rather liked Max's voice from the trailer (I believe it was done by the same guy who did Sam). While I'm fond of the new Max voice (their original choice for ep 1 of S1 sounded a little too cartoony if you ask me), I liked Max's accent in the trailer.

If you're referring to the GameTap trailer before season 1 came out, yeah that was totally David Nowlin doing the voice of Max in that.
  • edited April 2010
    touchee

If he's the touchEE who's the touchER then? :D
  • edited April 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    If you're referring to the GameTap trailer before season 1 came out, yeah that was totally David Nowlin doing the voice of Max in that.
    Maybe they mean the General Skunkape origin video?
  • edited April 2010
    Maybe they mean the General Skunkape origin video?

It's reasonably clear he's talking about the big reveal trailer from before Season 1, given the context:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHXBuawNh5A
Sign in to comment in this discussion.