TF2 hats unlock, and... what?

TeaTea
edited April 2010 in Sam & Max
So I preordered S&M from Telltale. Unlocking the hats with the code I got from /tf2hats, what do I find? I find that I own The Penal Colony on Steam.

So, was that meant to happen? Will I get the rest of the episodes too?

Comments

• edited April 2010
    TheJoe wrote: »
    So I preordered S&M from Telltale. Unlocking the hats with the code I got from /tf2hats, what do I find? I find that I own The Penal Colony on Steam.

So, was that meant to happen? Will I get the rest of the episodes too?

Yes, It's mean to be happen. Apparently was the only way to get TF2 know you can access the items. I have no idea about the second question, but I don't think so. I mean, you already had the episodes on Telltale, you don't need them else where, right?
  • TeaTea
    edited April 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    Yes, It's mean to be happen. Apparently was the only way to get TF2 know you can access the items. I have no idea about the second question, but I don't think so. I mean, you already had the episodes on Telltale, you don't need them else where, right?

In this case I kind of prefer having them on Steam for the simple matter that the TTG Launcher doesn't show up. The Launcher doesn't steal focus and I usually have a bunch of windows open, so I'm usually hammering at the icon, not noticing that the launcher is indeed open. But that's a minor problem, really.
  • edited April 2010
    Whether or not we'll get the rest of them has kind of been a big "I dunno" from TTG. I don't see a reason why not, since it say I ordered The Devil's Playhouse, though I suppose they could stop the TTG purchasers easily enough if they wanted to, considering our orders are differentiated by being the only ones marked as "Retail".
  • edited April 2010
    Yes. No.

EDIT:
    And then I find out there are already 3 replies...
  • edited April 2010
    So just to confirm now before I buy from TTG...

Ordering now from TTG gives you both the TF2 hats and the DVD?

Damnit, if that's it I now wish again that I hadn't missed the free shipping deadline ^_^
  • edited April 2010
    So just to confirm now before I buy from TTG...

Ordering now from TTG gives you both the TF2 hats and the DVD?

Damnit, if that's it I now wish again that I hadn't missed the free shipping deadline ^_^

Yes, offer ends on the 23rd of April.
  • edited April 2010
    Nice... apart from missing the postage... bah, I need to do things more timely in future...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    The free shipping deal wasn't for the Sam & Max DVD -- that is ordered at the end of the season in a separate transaction for $0 + shipping. We won't be shipping (or manufacturing) the DVD until all the games are done, and for our users a lot can happen in those five-six months. Many people move, change jobs, change their credit card numbers, etc. So we wait until the end to open that part up. The free shipping deal applies to physical goods you order right now. So you didn't miss anything :)
  • edited April 2010
    Ya but I was going to get the TOMI Deluxe Edition as well as Sam & Max Season 3 which would have brought it up to $50 and saved me the TOMI shipping.

That's right, isn't it? ^_^

Bleh, I suppose I mostly wanted the Deluxe because of the savings from the free shipping deal anyway. Nice that I don't have to pay the inflated Steam price for S&M3 now.
  • edited April 2010
    Ya but I was going to get the TOMI Deluxe Edition as well as Sam & Max Season 3 which would have brought it up to $50 and saved me the TOMI shipping.

That's right, isn't it? ^_^
    That's exactly what I did.
  • edited April 2010
    So it looks like this?

Purchase from Steam:
    Season 3 on Steam and Team Fortress 2 Hats

Purchase from Telltale:
    Season 3, Key for Season 3 on Steam (which includes the Team Fortress 2 Hats) and an option to get DVD

So if I'd buy it from Telltale and had no interest in those Hats I could simply get a product key from telltalegames.com/tf2hats and give it to someone else. It's like pay one get two.

That means my last chance to get those hats is hoping that somebody reads this and decides to send me a key? Well, there's no reason why anyone should do this so... d'oh.
  • edited April 2010
    noname wrote: »
    So if I'd buy it from Telltale and had no interest in those Hats I could simply get a product key from telltalegames.com/tf2hats and give it to someone else. It's like pay one get two.

NO, it is NOT a gift code, it is for personal use only. While you could technically give it to a friend that is breaking an agreement of sale.
  • edited April 2010
    Technically yes, but it's one of those things many people don't care about because the chance of getting punished is basically zero.

Give me two more weeks and I'l gladly buy the game just for the hats. But that won't happen because someone thought it would be a very good idea to limit the offer.
  • edited April 2010
    Technically yes, but it's one of those things many people don't care about because the chance of getting punished is basically zero.
    Technically and ethically. I don't know about you, but I put more value in a company that decides that it can trust its customers than one that tries to force limitations. I am a loyal buyer from Good Old Games because they don't use DRM, and they treat their customers excellently. I don't go giving away my account information or installing games on other peoples' computers because it is a breech of an understood trust between the company and the customer.

I get it. People are inherently selfish bastards. The world is out to get you, and it will do everything to snatch everything it can from you, so you might as well take back everything you can from the world. Still, when someone or some group offers to put forward some small manner of kindness, it does not improve the world to then kick them down and snatch their wallet. Noble business practices should be ENCOURAGED, not taken advantage of.

Telltale has chosen to put some level of trust in their consumer base. That's admirable. But it would ALSO be understandable for them to refuse to do something awesome like this in the future if most of their customer base treats their trust the way you apparently would. At the very least, you don't seem to find the action at all reprehensible.

I'm glad you apparently won't be able to get in on this offer. You obviously don't deserve it if you're willing to essentially walk into a person's place of business and tell them that you'd be happy to rip them off, but you just don't have the cash right now to pull it off. But wait! Your hubris apparently knows no bounds, because you then go on to lecture the company on not giving you enough opportunity to rip them off.
  • edited April 2010
    Words

This is what I don't understand about consumers. "Sweet, this company is doing something really nice for its customers, let's exploit it so it ends up being a terrible mistake rather than a big success!"

It's almost like people don't understand that screwing businesses over that provide them with products that they love dearly just causes the quality of future products to degrade.

How do you expect them to continue making high quality products if you're encouraging (essentially) stealing their products? If you were selling a product, and for every one you sold, another one were stolen from you, how would you like it?
  • edited April 2010
    At the very least, you don't seem to find the action at all reprehensible.
    Maybe because there is just no other way in this case? I'm out of options. Or do you have any idea apart from walking around outside, hoping to find 30€?
    As soon as this offer ends it will never be possible again to get this hat.
    I'm glad you apparently won't be able to get in on this offer.
    A few sentences ago you basically said that they need all the support thy can get and now you are glad that they lost a sale? Doesn't make sense.
    You obviously don't deserve it if you're willing to essentially walk into a person's place of business and tell them that you'd be happy to rip them off, but you just don't have the cash right now to pull it off.
    You are not making sense again. If I had the money right now I would just go to Steam and buy the game. Nothing else. End of the story. Case closed. No reason to "rip them off".

But I can't do that at the moment. So in my case getting the key from someone would only make 2 differences:
    1. I would have received the hat from someone who doesn't want it.
    2. There would be some games on my Account that I'll never play.

It's not like they lost a sale or something because the offer will already be over when I get the money, leaving no reason for me to buy the game.
    [...]on not giving you enough opportunity to rip them off.
    They didn't give me not enough opportunity to "rip them off", they didn't give me enough opportunity to not "rip them off".
    At least if you insist on calling it "rip them off" because as I wrote above, they won't loose anyhting. Hell, I might even purchase Season One and Two just to have the series complete, like I'd like to have a complete collectoion of Hats.
  • edited April 2010
    So let me get this straight, you actually saw the hat promotion and came to the Telltale forums looking for someone willing to part with their code so you can get a hat based on a series you care nothing about without having to buy anything. If you're never going to play the games, why would you want the hat and guns?

Wait, what am I talking about? This is the internet, everyone's a hoarder of intangible items.
  • edited April 2010
    you actually saw the hat promotion and came to the Telltale forums looking for someone willing to part with their code
    The initial reason was to ask when it will be possible to buy just a single Episode of Season 3.
    so you can get a hat based on a series you care nothing about
    I care about the 1993 game.
    without having to buy anything.
    As I said, I'd buy it but I can't.
    If you're never going to play the games, why would you want the hat and guns?
    Because I play the game that the Hat and Guns were made for?
  • edited April 2010
    Except that the hat and guns are a device to show off in TF2 that you're a Sam & Max fan. Which you aren't really.
  • edited April 2010
    And if you like Star Wars Episode 4-6 but not Episode 1-3 then you are not a Star Wars Fan. Makes perfectly sense.

Fine, if you decide that I'm not a Sam & Max Fan than I'm at least a Max Fan, your Honor.
  • edited April 2010
    And if you like Star Wars Episode 4-6 but not Episode 1-3 then you are not a Star Wars Fan. Makes perfectly sense.

Fine, if you decide that I'm not a Sam & Max Fan than I'm at least a Max Fan, your Honor.

You haven't played the games, so your opinion on them is unimportant, at best.
  • edited April 2010
    Well, I don't give away my codes but isn't giving away the code the same as giving the DVD copy of a game to a friend after you're done with it?
  • nikasaurnikasaur Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    *rushes in with a fire extinguisher*

See, flaming goes nowhere and now you're all covered in powdery white stuff. Keep it civil, agree to disagree, and let's move on.
    And shower.
    'Cause you're all powdery as mentioned before.
  • edited April 2010
    Something I noticed: When I went to http://www.telltalegames.com/tf2hats to get my Steam code, I was assuming the key would just unlock the items in TF2, and was surprised to see The Penal Zone appeared in my games list. I consider it lucky that I play TF2 and wanted the items for myself, otherwise I might have given the key to a friend and unwittingly pirated the game. I'm not sure if it's just that I'm not very familiar with using Steam unlock keys, but I could easily see this happening a lot since it doesn't mention anywhere that it's giving you an additional copy of the game along with the items.
  • edited April 2010
    It did that for everybody.
  • edited April 2010
    I know, my point is that there's nothing that tells you the key is going to give you the game on steam, so it's possible that other people might give their keys away without realizing they're pirating.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah I thought that. If I didn't play TF2 i'd have given the key to my bro and unwittingly gave him a whole season of Sam & Max. (Although I do lend him my DVD versions anyway, but that's hardly the same thing)
  • edited April 2010
    From what I understand, Steam routinely allows you to transfer purchases made outside Steam to your Steam account, if the game's on Steam. I have a few other indie games that I tied to my Steam account. It's possible Telltale may decide to expand this in the future, and allow you to tie your Telltale and Steam accounts together so that all your Telltale games show up in both lists.
  • edited April 2010
    Merus wrote: »
    From what I understand, Steam routinely allows you to transfer purchases made outside Steam to your Steam account, if the game's on Steam. I have a few other indie games that I tied to my Steam account. It's possible Telltale may decide to expand this in the future, and allow you to tie your Telltale and Steam accounts together so that all your Telltale games show up in both lists.

They only allow you to do this for steam published games (For example, Audiosurf)
  • edited April 2010

Gosh, I hadn't thought of that. I hope it doesn't affect Telltale's sales.
  • Couldn't this system be used to activate all of Telltale's games on Steam?
  • edited April 2010
    I believe that will be expensive for telltale
  • How so? If anything, I would think that it would become costly for Steam, not Telltale.
  • edited April 2010
    They only allow you to do this for steam published games (For example, Audiosurf)

They let you do it with Unreal Tournament 3, that's not steam published. There's a full list on their site somewhere.
  • edited April 2010
    How so? If anything, I would think that it would become costly for Steam, not Telltale.

On Telltale's end, extending this to all their games and an indefinite period would greatly open up the opportunity for people to buy it from Telltale and give the Steam copy to their friends. Also, Valve allowing them to do this in the first place was a move of extreme awesome, and even assuming that they're willing to set up an arrangement like this permanently and on a larger scale, it's likely they would want money for it.

On Valve's end, they would almost certainly be losing money from people who chose not to buy from Steam when they could buy from Telltale and get the Steam copy anyway, plus the Telltale bonus goodies.

It's basically a losing situation for both companies, and there's no real reason for them to do it, except that in this specific case, it was the quickest and easiest way to get the TF2 items to the Telltale fans, and that's why it was such an awesome thing for them to do for us.
  • On Telltale's end, extending this to all their games and an indefinite period would greatly open up the opportunity for people to buy it from Telltale and give the Steam copy to their friends.

Don't they already take this risk giving us a free DVD? Why not throw a serial number on there for us to activate on Steam? Yeah, I guess Valve might want some compensation for it, but I think it would be worth it.
  • edited April 2010
    So it looks like this?

Purchase from Steam:
    Season 3 on Steam and Team Fortress 2 Hats

Purchase from Telltale:
    Season 3, Key for Season 3 on Steam (which includes the Team Fortress 2 Hats) and an option to get DVD

That means my last chance to get those hats is hoping that somebody reads this and decides to send me a key? Well, there's no reason why anyone should do this so... d'oh.

True....I'm interested in that tf2 hat key (if you actually bought the game as mentioned).......pm me if you still have it....

P.S.: I bought Season Three already (direct from telltale), I would just like to get the hats in TF2...but procrastinated.
    edited April 2010
    It's basically a losing situation for both companies, and there's no real reason for them to do it, except that in this specific case, it was the quickest and easiest way to get the TF2 items to the Telltale fans, and that's why it was such an awesome thing for them to do for us.

1) It's cool and fun. 2) It's probably sold copies of both Sam & Max and TF2, both on Telltale's site and Steam, which wouldn't have been bought otherwise. Sam & Max was charting top 10 sellers (often top 5) through all of its launch week on Steam, which is awesome, and our local customers are also happy, so hey. We don't think anyone really lost in the deal.
  • edited April 2010
    Don't they already take this risk giving us a free DVD? Why not throw a serial number on there for us to activate on Steam?

Because it's exactly as you said, they're taking a risk. They're already giving us two copies of the game for the price of one. Toss in Steam and everyone who pays for the game once gets three copies of it. I mean, there's awesome, and then there's poor business practice.
    True....I'm interested in that tf2 hat key (if you actually bought the game as mentioned).......pm me if you still have it....

P.S.: I bought Season Three already (direct from telltale), I would just like to get the hats in TF2...but procrastinated.

If I understand the system correctly, the hats were awarded to anyone who had The Penal Zone in their Steam account and died in a TF2 match during a week-long period that already ended. It's possible that the Steam codes still work for unlocking The Penal Zone, but I doubt you'd be able to get the hat, unless they have TF2 set up to check when your copy of The Penal Zone was unlocked (in which case, it's still too late if you don't already have it unlocked in Steam).
    edited April 2010
    If you made the purchase of the Penal Zone during the promo period, you'll get the unlocks the next time you die in TF2... even if that's two years from now. Even if you don't own TF2 yet, when you get it and die, if you bought Devil's Playhouse during that promo, you'll get the unlocks. But you had to have purchased the game during the time the promo was going on.
    Because it's exactly as you said, they're taking a risk. They're already giving us two copies of the game for the price of one. Toss in Steam and everyone who pays for the game once gets three copies of it. I mean, there's awesome, and then there's poor business practice.
    Doing right by your customers is never a bad thing. We do our best to keep you guys in mind with what we do, and I think Valve does as well. It's how most of the coolest stuff happens.

If it really bothers you that you have multiple licenses to the game you bought, across multiple platforms, and if you think it will make you happier for some mysterious reason, if we try hard enough we can probably revoke a few from your various accounts. I don't know if that's good business though. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.