TF2 hats unlock, and... what?

2»

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    If you made the purchase of the Penal Zone during the promo period, you'll get the unlocks the next time you die in TF2... even if that's two years from now. Even if you don't own TF2 yet, when you get it and die, if you bought Devil's Playhouse during that promo, you'll get the unlocks. But you had to have purchased the game during the time the promo was going on.

If you have the code from Telltale but didn't redeem it, does that work too?
    I'm only asking out of curiosity. Would that too still work 2 years from now?
    Doing right by your customers is never a bad thing. We do our best to keep you guys in mind with what we do, and I think Valve does as well. It's how most of the coolest stuff happens.

You're not helping your customers feel less entitled to free stuff :p
  • edited April 2010
    Doing right by your customers is never a bad thing. We do our best to keep you guys in mind with what we do, and I think Valve does as well. It's how most of the coolest stuff happens.

See, I was worried that I worded that poorly, and I'm afraid that I did. If you guys were to ever implement this Steam unlock system globally, we'd all love you for it I'm sure, I just meant that it might not be the best decision from a business standpoint. But I'm sure it would be a calculated risk, and Telltale is made of pure awesome, so...I dunno. What I can tell you is that I've never appreciated anything a video game company has done for me as much as I do with Telltale. Not even close. So you guys are definitely earning loyal customers, and that's absolutely good for business.
    If it really bothers you that you have multiple licenses to the game you bought, across multiple platforms, and if you think it will make you happier for some mysterious reason, if we try hard enough we can probably revoke a few from your various accounts. I don't know if that's good business though. :)

No, no, I'm good, really. I'll be good, I promise.
  • edited April 2010
    I think what Guru's point was is that we shouldn't demand it or assume you will do it, or expect you to.
    It would be awesome but it would also be an extra nice gesture from you, and not something we deserve or "should" get.

I feel some people sound a bit like they're demanding gifts. It reminds me of what people tell you as a child, you know? How gifts should never be asked for, because they're gifts. And if you asked for something that your parents were already planning to give you, they wouldn't do it anymore, because you were a bad kid and asked.

Something along those lines.
  • Avistew wrote: »
    I feel some people sound a bit like they're demanding gifts.

Not sure that anyone has demanded anything; I was only asking if it's possible.
    Because it's exactly as you said, they're taking a risk. They're already giving us two copies of the game for the price of one. Toss in Steam and everyone who pays for the game once gets three copies of it. I mean, there's awesome, and then there's poor business practice.

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I might be because I've never tried this), but if you activate a physical copy of a game on Steam, I don't believe you can use the physical copy anymore, so if I activate a DVD from Telltale on Steam, I wouldn't be getting THREE copies; I'd still have TWO. Like I said, I've never done this before, so I might be wrong.
  • edited April 2010
    I've never heard of that before. I'm generally not a PC gamer, so I wouldn't know. The last non-Telltale game I bought was The Orange Box, and before that I can't even remember. It even might've been The Curse of Monkey Island, that's how little I buy PC games.

If that is the case though, it pretty much makes the physical copy kind of pointless. Of course, I've heard of worse DRM...
  • To correct my above statement: In a scenario where you activate/register a DVD through Steam, the physical copy doesn't become useless, but it does become tied to your Steam account. In other words, your friend wouldn't be able to play the game if he borrowed your physical copy, but you would be able to download and play the game through Steam on his computer if you're signed into your account.
  • edited April 2010
    That seems... unlikely. How can a fresh install check wheter or not it's Steam-bound without net connection? Or does it always need an online-check (I hate those installations), in order to make it possible?

It's not like Steam-activation suddenly changes the code on the disk...
  • edited April 2010
    That seems... unlikely. How can a fresh install check wheter or not it's Steam-bound without net connection? Or does it always need an online-check (I hate those installations), in order to make it possible?
    I'm pretty sure it only works that way for Valve's games (that need an online activation via Steam anyhow), but not for third-party games...
  • edited April 2010
    That would make a lot more sense...
  • Yeah, that scenario is one that requires online activation, so if TTG did implement something like that with Steam, I know it would be met with a lot of opposition.
  • edited April 2010
    Unfortunately i missed out on the promo, so is there NO other way to get the items? Man this really sucks. :(
Sign in to comment in this discussion.