Sam et Max en Francais?

To the peeps at Telltale, is there a way I can download a French language and subtitle track for my Sam and Max games? I'll be studying abroad in France next spring, and I want to practice my listening comprehension skills before I go. Since you're games are interactive, it would be much more effective to learn French that way than through French television. Please let me know if I can find a version that I don't have to torrent. My school isn't that torrent friendly.
queen_of_the_lobsters

Comments

• edited April 2010
    If there is going to be any translating... then it will happen once the season is finished... and probably only in the retail versions of the game sold in the country of that language...

There COULD be some sort of fandub/fansub along the way but I don't know how legal that would be... :P
  • edited April 2010
    Hehe, i remember spending my whole christmas break some years ago playing hit the road in english and telling my mom "i'm not playing silly videogames, i'm working on my english !" :p

The first season has been translated and dubbed.
    Not sure myself where you can find it but friends of mine have bought it in stores over here.
    I'm assuming season two should get localized "soon" as well, but i have no idea when.

But as far as i know, you won't find any patches or stuff like that (i might very well be wrong, though, i never bothered looking for a french version).

If you haven't played the old lucasart classics, those are available in french as well, might be a good idea to work with those, even though some of them don't have any voice acting (also, avoid playins the froggie day of the tentacle for this, they translated the text but kept the original voices).
  • edited April 2010
    elzbenz wrote: »
    If there is going to be any translating... then it will happen once the season is finished... and probably only in the retail versions of the game sold in the country of that language...

There COULD be some sort of fandub/fansub along the way but I don't know how legal that would be... :P

To be specific, I was going to start with Sam and Max Save the World, then maybe Beyond Time and Space, and The Devil's Playhouse if I'm not already in France by then.
    Hehe, i remember spending my whole christmas break some years ago playing hit the road in english and telling my mom "i'm not playing silly videogames, i'm working on my english !"

I love you! Also, your screenname looks Italian. Do they have Sam and Max in Italian as well? I've studied that for a bit before finally settling on French.
  • edited April 2010
    Telltale doesn't work on the translations or provide patches for them, sorry. The first two games are available in French, but you'll need to purchase the (French) retail version and can't download a patch instead.

I do agree that would be pretty neat but there are probably lots of problems involved with doing that.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, I'm not getting a lot on Google in the states, so I'm trying French Google. The results seem to be a little better, but I'm double checking to make sure I don't need to reset my region to play it.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, I'm not getting a lot on Google in the states, so I'm trying French Google. The results seem to be a little better, but I'm double checking to make sure I don't need to reset my region to play it.

As far as I know, DVD games are zone-free (I've never had a problem playing any of mine). But I guess I could be wrong, can anyone confirm or deny it?
  • edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    As far as I know, DVD games are zone-free (I've never had a problem playing any of mine). But I guess I could be wrong, can anyone confirm or deny it?

I've never heard about DVD games having zones
  • edited April 2010
    I love you! Also, your screenname looks Italian. Do they have Sam and Max in Italian as well? I've studied that for a bit before finally settling on French.

I love you too ! Now can we go and get married in vegas ?

But nope, i ain't Italian, i'm French, but i'm pretty sure they got a translation too.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited April 2010

They mostly are, and Telltale's DVDs are definitly zone-free.
  • edited April 2010
    Season 2 never came out in France. You can either wait for Atari (who published the first season here) to do something or hope for a fan made sub, like with ToMI. My guess is a european release is unlikely.
  • edited April 2010
    You know why there's no french version of sam and max yet. It's because they are almost unknown in europe. Many great things from american pop culture are unknown in europe... And that's very sad.
  • edited April 2010
    LeBart wrote: »
    Season 2 never came out in France. You can either wait for Atari (who published the first season here) to do something or hope for a fan made sub, like with ToMI. My guess is a european release is unlikely.

Why ? Season 1 has been translated when the retail version was available. Season's two just recently got released on retail disk, so it seems logical it ain't been localized yet.
    I'm not saying it WILL be localized, but just because it hasn't been yet doesn't mean it won't.
    You know why there's no french version of sam and max yet. It's because they are almost unknown in europe. Many great things from american pop culture are unknown in europe... And that's very sad.

While it's true that sam and max aren't widely known over here, i don't think that's the reason. Hit the road got a translation, season one got one too... I don't know how well it sold, but i never thought they might decide not to do the same with season two.
  • edited April 2010
    You could try the Steam versions of the games, but for some reason when I try it, it doesn't register that I've changed the language and still runs in English. You might have more luck though.
  • edited April 2010
    oui
  • Shwoo wrote: »
    You could try the Steam versions of the games, but for some reason when I try it, it doesn't register that I've changed the language and still runs in English. You might have more luck though.

I think it's because they're English only.
  • edited April 2010
    They're not; I know this for sure. Season One isn't, at at least. There's an option in Steam where you can change the language of each individual game, with the only options being languages that are supported, and it works fine on my other Steam games. Just not on Sam & Max 104. I tried it on that one because it was free and I already owned the games.

Maybe it's because I didn't pay anything...?
  • edited April 2010
    SuperBosco wrote: »

And still French pop culture, like Alizée, is probably extremely well known in the USA. Um, sorry if I'm not contributing anything useful to this thread folks. She's really hawt though.
  • edited April 2010
    Bamse wrote: »
    And still French pop culture, like Alizée, is probably extremely well known in the USA. Um, sorry if I'm not contributing anything useful to this thread folks. She's really hawt though.

Meh. I'd rather people like Gainsbourg or Brel or Brassens where better known over there. It seems French-language singers stopped being known in the US around Piaf's time. And that makes a lot of sense, but at the same time they're so much part of the culture...
  • edited April 2010
    Alizée is not known because of her music... :p
    Why ? Season 1 has been translated when the retail version was available. Season's two just recently got released on retail disk, so it seems logical it ain't been localized yet.
    I'm not saying it WILL be localized, but just because it hasn't been yet doesn't mean it won't.

Oh you're right season 2 is coming out on wii this month ! That's great news, I had lost hope. Does it have french VO though ?

Well now we can hope for a season 3 release around... 2012 ?
  • edited April 2010
    Meh. How about Daft Punk or Laurent Garnier...

np: The Fall - O.F.Y.C. Showcase (Your Future Our Clutter)
  • edited April 2010
    04/25/2010 and we dont have a translated (subtitled version) sam&max season 2 in spanish, french, etc.

And this people make jokes in "april fool" day. Its really a shame.

But oohhh. Telltale is a small company and dont have money.. Only they can make games in xbox 360, ps3, ipaq but no translated version .....

People with minimal resources can make patches to traslate tales in monkey island. But telltale cant make subtitles (Except in xbox for obligation, of course)
    Patetic ...
  • edited April 2010
    Games that are translated are almost always translated by their retail publishers. It's Atari's job to translate them, not Telltale's.
  • edited April 2010

I asked around, absolutly none of my friends (we're American) have heard of her.
  • edited April 2010
    StonkBad wrote: »
    Games that are translated are almost always translated by their retail publishers. It's Atari's job to translate them, not Telltale's.

But atari dont launch the game .. Only in Wii.

Common !. Its Telltale job too. Its more easy. quickly (Three years for a fu..ing translation in season 2).
  • edited April 2010
    GaDo wrote: »

Common !. Its Telltale job too. Its more easy. quickly (Three years for a fu..ing translation in season 2).

Out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to pay for such a patch?
    Unless you think it should be provided for free, and the translators not paid for their work?
  • edited April 2010
    If I pay Telltale 35$ for the English only season, I'd gladly pay them another 7 or 10 $ for an official translation patch, provided it comes faster than the non-Telltale retail version.
  • edited April 2010
    Out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to pay for such a patch?
    Unless you think it should be provided for free, and the translators not paid for their work?

Its more expensive a ipad, ps3, wii version of Sam & max (licenses, programmers, etc) or only a few subtitles ??

The cost its only for no speak english users. Not for you.

This have a name. Is DISCRIMINATION.

We miss Lucasarts and multilanguage versions of classic games ...
  • edited April 2010
    Its more expensive a ipad, ps3, wii version of Sam & max (licenses, programmers, etc) or only a few subtitles ??

"Only a few subtitles" are hundreds of different lines, with a different translator for each target language.
    The programmers, as far as I know, have a salary, so they're not paid more for working on something different.
    A translator is usually paid per word or per line (or sometimes per page for things like comics, leading to silly things like a wall-of-text kinda page earning the same as a page with one or two words on it).

They would need to pay the translator (a new person) a flat rate. For each language. Depending on how many people buy the page, it would probably not be worth it in the end. Not to mention they first need to find an agency to work with (in every country I've been, even freelance translator are contacted through agencies, never directly), and I don't expect they would find a single agency with native speakers of all these languages.
    So they might have to deal with a different agency for each.

That sounds like a lot of work and trouble when they can let the European distributor deal with it.
    It's nothing unusual. Translations are released later than original works, and Telltale has absolutely nothing to do with the delay for Season 2. Season 3 is likely to be translated sooner.
    About a year after the original product would be an average time for a translation. In this case, since it's episodic but the retail will contain them all, you need to start waiting when all episodes are released, since later episodes might influence how the earlier ones get translated, too (references to later episodes, things that take a second meaning later, etc).

I'm a French speaker originally, and I'm used to waiting for translations. And that's normal. I feel like you're being incredibly disrespectful of translators here, by saying their work is absolutely needed RIGHT NAO!!!11!! but you're not willing to pay a cent for it.
  • edited April 2010
    Apprenez l'anglais sacrebleu ! Les blagues sont meilleures :p

(Learn english! Jokes are better :p)
  • edited April 2010
    Z-4195 wrote: »

I notice you strategically removed "sacrebleu" from the translated sentence, une fois. (Are you Wallon or Flemish?)
  • edited April 2010
    I notice you strategically removed "sacrebleu" from the translated sentence, une fois. (Are you Wallon or Flemish?)

Was afraid to say something too... profane in english. :D

(By the way I'm walloon but for how much time?)
  • edited April 2010

No, Atari are doing the PC retail releases around the world too. Meaning Atari's version is the one you buy in shops.
    And besides, LucasArts had offices around the world to handle translations, Telltale only has one office in San Fransisco. (I think)
  • edited April 2010

Wasn't this (faulty) logic brought up and addressed somewhere else on the forums already?
  • edited April 2010
    Yes, by the same person.
  • edited April 2010
    Common !. Its Telltale job too.

No it's not.
    Translation is NOT an easy job, you know, and telltale's job is to make the damn game, not to take care of their localization. Period.

Also, i'd rather wait for a decent translation (which, sadly, isn't guaranteed even if done by professional, but hey, that's another question) than having an awful one done quickly just for the sake of it.

oh, and
    Apprenez l'anglais sacrebleu ! Les blagues sont meilleures

(Learn english! Jokes are better )

This. It's not THAT hard, really, and it can only help you in the long run.
  • Z-4195 wrote: »

It's not a matter of learning English. English is my first language. I'm studying French and I figure a video game with spoken dialogue would be a fun and active way to improve my listening comprehension. And I don't doubt the jokes are better in their mother tongue. They usually are.
  • edited May 2010
    Yes, that's a good point of view!

In fact, I remember having learned a lot of words by playing Day of the Tentacle with subtitles.

I was assuming french-only-speaking people too lazy to play the game in english, and complaining for a faster translation, my bad :o
  • edited May 2010
    It's not a matter of learning English. English is my first language. I'm studying French and I figure a video game with spoken dialogue would be a fun and active way to improve my listening comprehension. And I don't doubt the jokes are better in their mother tongue. They usually are.

I don't think this post was adressed to you, but rather to i'm-too-lazy-to-go-check-his-username who complained about telltale not offering the translated games as soon as they were out.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.