For Developers

2»

Comments

• edited May 2010
    serializer wrote: »
    I'm sorry...

If I click on something and get an amusing line from Sam or Max, that's an achievement.

If I try to use objects or a power in a funny way, and get an amusing line or just something funny happens, that's an achievement.

I don't need some list somewhere reminding me of all the great stuff I did. I was there at the time, I can remember. I don't care about other people knowing whether I managed to, I dunno, click on the 20 drunken pigeons throughout the game. It's pointless.

If somebody has only bought the game for a TF2 item, then ... they are a douche-bag.

If somebody has only bought the game to complete and not care one bit about the story, characters, or attention to detail that TTG have lovingly lathered this game with, then ... I'm sorry, that somebody is a douche-bag.

For TTG to spend hours or even days working an achievements system into these games is not only pointless but counter-productive. Why should they waste any time implementing a feature just to appease the shallow wishes of what must amount to a tiny fraction of the people who buy their games?

What I'm saying is: if somebody is buying the game only for achievements, they don't deserve to own it anyway.

I agree, people who don't like the games I like doesn't deserve happiness.
  • edited May 2010
    I was playing facebook games earlier, and there was a section for games where you can't save your score, and I was all "man, why would I want to play a game that doesn't keep track of my score? Sounds like a waste of time*" and I realised maybe it's the ancestor of achievements.

Maybe years ago somebody went "if people need to see a score and can't play the game just for the pleasure of playing it, then they don't deserve to play that game".

*NB: this is funny because playing silly Facebook games is probably a waste of time to begin with.
  • PsyPsy
    edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    *NB: this is funny because playing silly Facebook games is probably a waste of time to begin with.

Some people take their Facebook games pretty seriously
  • edited May 2010
    Psy wrote: »
    Some people take their Facebook games pretty seriously

Well. Good for them. (Or "bad" I guess?)
    I am just clicking on blocks because I'm bored. It really shouldn't matter much if I get to see if I did better or worse than the previous session of clicking on blocks because I'm bored. Or what was the highest score I ever had, just out of curiosity.
    Yet it does.
  • edited May 2010
    I hate it when non-gamers say I'm wasting my time playing "silly" games, when I'm actually engaged in a very compelling adventure game or RPG with intricate storylines, fully worked out characters etc etc, far more intriguing and emotionally bonding than your second rate action novel or movie, and then they interrupt me because they want to shoot blocks or "harvest their crops".

Yes, wife, I'm looking at you!
  • edited May 2010
    You're overly defensive of your leisure activities.
  • edited May 2010
    I get that a lot.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.