Anyone from Stuttgart?

edited November 2010 in Sam & Max
heh i'm not. just curious to see if anyone is:)

Comments

• edited May 2010
    heh i'm not. just curious to see if anyone is:)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=19963438181
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited May 2010
    276 kilometers away...
  • edited May 2010
    I'm not from Stuttgart, but I have relatives in Stuttgart and I'm also a fan of the football (soccer) club "VfB Stuttgart".

And I was shocked, that they spelled Stuttgart in the subtitles "Stuttgard" with a d! :eek:

I'm kidding. It isn't bothering me.... OR IS IT?!?

DAMN YOU, JÜRGEN!

(scnr)
  • edited May 2010
    I'm from Karlsruhe, 81.9 km to Stuttgart...but I wish it were some more ;)
  • edited May 2010
    STUTTGART?! Do you mean to tell me there have been people from Stuttgart (or its immediate vicinity) the whole time I've been on this forum??!!
    edited May 2010
    ChemBro wrote: »

DAMN YOU, JÜRGEN!

(scnr)

Jurgen, not Jürgen! :D :D :D
    In the "Tomb of Sammun-Mak", I love how they insert an umlaut into almost every German tidbit Jurgen is supposed to say, but the voice actor very rarely actually speaks it... :D
  • edited May 2010
    I translated the post card that comes in the case file, and it basically says this:

Spirit transfusions experience for With your DJs the evening ...

Party 18, Super Party from undead! Please look out for safety's only officially to eat delusion-free Gehime. Water, glowsticks and other rave Partyzubehor is sold on the spot (so bring loads of cash / Natualien / body parts to Taushen with)!

prohibited Zeheretten garlic and holy water based products on stregstens!
  • edited May 2010
    Here's the English original:
    18+ to party, undead to party hearty! Please be safe and only eat brains that are certified not-mad. Water, glow sticks, and other rave party accessories will all be on sale on-site (so bring plenty of cash/consumables/spare body parts for barter)!

Absolutely no garlic clove cigarettes or holy water-based products allowed!

With your DJs for the night...

I had to take some liberties with the German translation... but your Google re-translation is even worse ;)
  • edited May 2010
    I know!
  • edited May 2010
    I'm Australian and every relative that I know of is also Australian. But I was looking up an alternate spelling of my surname, because the Internet doesn't seem to know anything about the way I spell it, and it seems that it originates either from Stuttgart or very close to it. Definitely somewhere in Baden-Württemberg. So I probably had some ancestors there.

I wonder if that would count to the old moleman.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm living 400km away from Stuttgart but I've never actually been there. But I'm pretty sure that there are fans of S&M even in Stuttgart. They just don't seem to dare to come to this forum after they've played 203 and 302.:D

Besides, as a German I always wondered if there is any specific reason why Telltale chose Stuttgart and not any other german city? Is it just because it sounds funny (I think it's always funny hearing Sam or Max saying 'Stuttgart') or does Stuttgart have some kind of popularity in the U.S. that I don't know about.

Whatever the reason is, the whole Jurgen charakter is just hilarious.:D
  • edited May 2010
    Probably reference to Vlad Tepes, who always signed his name as Vlad Dracula (his father) who (if memory serves me right) was from Stuttgart to begin with, and was a notoriously cruel enemy of the Ottoman Empire and the inspiration for the character of Count Dracula aka the original vampire
  • edited May 2010
    Emo Hoe wrote: »
    Probably reference to Vlad Tepes, who always signed his name as Vlad Dracula (his father) who (if memory serves me right) was from Stuttgart to begin with, and was a notoriously cruel enemy of the Ottoman Empire and the inspiration for the character of Count Dracula aka the original vampire

Dracula means "son of the dragon." His father was Vlad Dracul. The surname, Dracul, was given to him upon admission into the Order of the Dragon.

Both father and son were from Wallachia, Romania, not Stuttgart.

ETA: Also, the character of Dracula was not the original vampire. Vampire folklore was around long before Bram Stoker combined it with the history of Vlad Tepes to create Count Dracula.
    edited May 2010
    I doubt that Stuttgart was chosen randomly. Berlin, Hamburg or even Munich would have been much more likely picks. Someone from the Telltale Team was there... maybe he has not the best memories of the place, or it's a joke aimed at a friend living there.

Stuttgart! Probably not the place to find the vast mountains depicted in 203, but as for his castle... we've got 1.000 early to late middle-age leftover fortifications in our country, my city alone is surrounded by ten, two of them being quite impressive castles. In the immediate vicinity of Stuttgart, you will probably find lots that could serve as Jurgen's accomodations.
  • edited May 2010
    I doubt that Stuttgart was chosen randomly. Berlin, Hamburg or even Munich would have been much more likely picks. Someone from the Telltale Team was there... maybe he has not the best memories of the place, or it's a joke aimed at a friend living there.

You know, TTG did recently hire two German interns . . .
  • edited May 2010
    The reason was mentioned in the designer commentary to 203, and although I can't remember what it was, it wasn't anything too dramatic.
  • edited May 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    STUTTGART?! Do you mean to tell me there have been people from Stuttgart (or its immediate vicinity) the whole time I've been on this forum??!!

Those filthy Stuttgaterians, they're everywhere...
  • edited May 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    Those filthy Stuttgaterians, they're everywhere...
    They even have a techno song that is almost as cool as the song played in Jürgens Club.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nAS8KMdjog
  • edited May 2010
    Stuttgart a.o. is famous for Porsche, Mercedes Benz or the Schwäbische Dialekt.
    edited May 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    Stuttgart a.o. is famous for Porsche, Mercedes Benz or the Schwäbische Dialekt.

And as we all know, the best Hollywood movies feature the Schwäbische Dialekt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUAtFRzGvUs

Please note the correct pronounciation of "Jürgen" at 0:25 minutes. :D
  • edited May 2010
    Kannte ich gar nicht; das war klasse! :O)
  • edited May 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    The reason was mentioned in the designer commentary to 203, and although I can't remember what it was, it wasn't anything too dramatic.

Ah, that reminds me that I still have to watch the commentaries of season 2. Thanks for the hint.
  • edited May 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    They even have a techno song that is almost as cool as the song played in Jürgens Club.
    Scooter is the worst trance ever.
    Take a listen to real trance stuff here: http://www.rushhourradio.net/christopherlawrence_rushhour/Podcast/Podcast.html
  • edited May 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »

Scooter rules! :cool:
  • edited May 2010
    Probably due to intensive language-coaching from Bruce (who happens to have a German mum)... :D

But I still like "Death Star Stuttgart" better... ;)
    Scooter rules! :cool:
    If you replace HP Baxxter with Otto von Schirach and Scooter with Modeselektor, Hyper Hyper gets slightly bearable - but it was sucking galaxies through nanotubes already when it came out... >_< (believe me, I was there and stood witness, no thanks to some fellow classmates...)

np: Guther - Even When It's Not (Sundet)
  • edited May 2010
    Best spoof of Hyper Hyper ever: Aldi Aldi :D
  • edited May 2010
    *gröhl* :D
  • edited May 2010
    ChemBro wrote: »
    DAMN YOU, JÜRGEN!

(scnr)
    :D You owe me five bucks, Sam.
  • edited May 2010
    Leak wrote: »
    If you replace HP Baxxter with Otto von Schirach and Scooter with Modeselektor, Hyper Hyper gets slightly bearable - but it was sucking galaxies through nanotubes already when it came out... >_< (believe me, I was there and stood witness, no thanks to some fellow classmates...)

np: Guther - Even When It's Not (Sundet)

I love the version by modeselektor. I never understood why the original was this popular myself. I never liked it. But I liked a lot of the singles that followed.
  • edited May 2010
    Mortymus wrote: »
    I'm living 400km away from Stuttgart but I've never actually been there. But I'm pretty sure that there are fans of S&M even in Stuttgart. They just don't seem to dare to come to this forum after they've played 203 and 302.:D

Besides, as a German I always wondered if there is any specific reason why Telltale chose Stuttgart and not any other german city? Is it just because it sounds funny (I think it's always funny hearing Sam or Max saying 'Stuttgart') or does Stuttgart have some kind of popularity in the U.S. that I don't know about.

Whatever the reason is, the whole Jurgen charakter is just hilarious.:D

Dito everything!
    The TeamFortress2 Medic is from Stuttgart too! wtf is up with that? :eek:

Maybe that's the reason why Jürgen is from Stuttgart? Cause TellTale loves TF2 :D
  • edited May 2010
    Apparently, at this current time, MAJUS IS IN a town next to STUTTGART!
  • edited May 2010
    And as we all know, the best Hollywood movies feature the Schwäbische Dialekt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUAtFRzGvUs

I like his "24"-spoofs even more... and by coincidence, Jack Bauer is now called Jürgen Bauer :)

Day 1
    Day 2
    Day 3
    Day 4
    Day 5
    Day 6
  • edited May 2010
    Apparently, at this current time, MAJUS IS IN a town next to STUTTGART!

Yes indeed, Ludwigsburg! Good times.
    edited November 2010
    You guys really don't want to know what's going on in Stuttgart right now. It's just not funny anymore. :(
  • edited November 2010
    It is not even understandable anymore either.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.