The Devil's Playhouse and Hit The Road

edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
Okay, don't hate me for this, but in my opinion, The Devil's Playhouse is better than Hit The Road. I know that most people say that you can't beat a classic, but after 2 episodes of pretty much the best Sam and Max related thing ever made, is it so wrong to say it's better than HTR?

I mean, the story of TDP is definitely more epic and deeper than the previous stuff, which are mostly randomness and absurdity, and the puzzles are way more creative, though not as difficult so it doesn't create too much frustration.

And yes, the graphics of the Devil's Playhouse are better than Hit The Road, but not just because it's 3D, it's also because of the cinematic camera angles and art design as well.

What's your opinion?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    tredlow wrote: »
    , is it so wrong to say it's better than HTR?
    No it is not wrong to say that.
  • edited May 2010
    I think that classics CAN be beaten, and I also agree that TDP is better.
  • edited May 2010
    I think that classics CAN be beaten, and I also agree that TDP is better.

Would you also agree with me that Tales of MI has a better story than MI 1 and 2? Just the story.
  • edited May 2010
    I think, all Sam & Max episodes from Telltale are better than Hit the Road so far. No Monkey Island is better than the first 2 games, though.
    Which doesn't mean that I didn't like all Sam & Max and Monkey Island games so far.
  • edited May 2010
    No Monkey Island is better than the first 2 games, though.
    Well, I don't mean the overall game, such as puzzles etc., just the story. The stories of MI 1 and 2 are great, but they're pretty simple and the characters don't have much development, whereas TMI had deeper levels in its story. But that's just my opinion.
  • edited May 2010
    I have to agree, Telltale's Sam & Max have really taken the series where it should have been, 20 or so years ago. HtR is good, in it's own time, not this one.
    No Monkey Island is better than the first 2 games, though.

I don't know, I thought Rise of the Pirate God kicked the hell out of MI 1 and 2.
    (Yes, I finally got to play the 2 originals.)
  • edited May 2010
    I still enjoy the classic more... But I think maybe its just because episodic gaming can be kind of jarring at times.. a month long break and all.
  • edited May 2010
    Yeah, I think I'd say that the Devil's Playhouse is, so far, better than Hit the Road. And I do also think that Tales may possibly be the equal best Monkey Island game that I've played. I personally think that Curse and Tales are the two top MI games, I love them both more than any film, book or song (well, most songs anyway; there are some songs that mean a lot to me) on the face of the Earth. I just think that there is so much more character and emotion shown from each of the characters in those games as opposed to the first two. The first two games were excellent, don't get me wrong, but Curse and Tales are just so much more when it comes to the different array of moods and themes.

I basically feel the same way about The Devil's Playhouse and Hit the Road. Hit the Road just had one mood and theme the whole way through - humour and a little bit of silliness for good measure. But in The Devil's Playhouse, there's actually a little bit of suspense and drama in some moments. Take the final scene of The Tomb of Sammun-Mak for instance. When you see Max's body lying limp with the top of his head severed, the whole jocularity and frivolous nature of the game comes to a screaming halt. You see the genuine worry of Sam's face, the camera moves slowly around Max's lifeless face and still body and the music is... well, I can't really remember what was happening with the music, but I knew that it created a good effect.

What I guess I'm trying to say is that The Devil's Playhouse is just a huge step forward in the evolution of Sam & Max. The same goes for the later Monkey Island games (yes, even Escape), they had a lot more depth to them than the original two. The original Sam & Max and the original MI games were mostly focused on the comedy element. This is very much still alive in the later games (of both S&M and MI), but they aren't completely centered around it. This is a good thing.
  • edited May 2010
    I'd say Season Two is better than Hit the Road. Devil's Playhouse...I'm not as sure.
  • edited May 2010
    I'd say Season Two is better than Hit the Road. Devil's Playhouse...I'm not as sure.

Well, I'd say Devil's Playhouse beats Season Two already...
  • edited May 2010

Any particular reason? The writing? The characters? The story? The theme? The voice acting? The settings? The puzzles? The music? The lighting? The lack of familiar faces? All of the above?
  • edited May 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    Well, I'd say Devil's Playhouse beats Season Two already...
    Even if it weren't for the third season's puzzles, I'd have to say that's a tough sell, especially at only two episodes. I'm not so offended by The Devil's Playhouse to say that it can't as a whole be greater than Season Three, even still, but these two episodes just don't paint a grandiose picture of these games as, um, games.

Music is as good as ever. The writing is great, doesn't feel quite as snappy but it's still great and I like it. The lighting and graphics, presentation all around is excellent and better than the first two seasons by a longshot.

Not having secondary characters show up for the hell of it was probably a good call, because the secondary cast was getting somewhat bloated.
  • edited May 2010
    Even if it weren't for the third season's puzzles, I'd have to say that's a tough sell, especially at only two episodes. I'm not so offended by The Devil's Playhouse to say that it can't as a whole be greater than Season Three, even still, but these two episodes just don't paint a grandiose picture of these games as, um, games.

Um... I thought The Devil's Playhouse is season three. Also, are you saying that season two is better than Devil's Playhouse because we have yet to see the rest of the episodes?
  • edited May 2010
    Um... I thought The Devil's Playhouse is season three. Also, are you saying that season two is better than Devil's Playhouse because we have yet to see the rest of the episodes?

I think the first was just an error. I think the second he just meant that so far Season 3 hasn't quite lived up to the greatness of Season 2. But I guess I'll just let Rather Dashing answer for himself :).
  • edited May 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    I think the first was just an error. I think the second he just meant that so far Season 3 hasn't quite lived up to the greatness of Season 2. But I guess I'll just let Rather Dashing answer for himself :).
    Yeah, the first thing was a typo. And the second thing was, yeah, I don't think that the Devil's Playhouse has yet surpassed a full season of amazing content like Season Two. It could still, we're just two-fifths in, but I'm just not as assured of Season Three's complete and utter domination of everything that has come before.

I'm saying it's too early for me to judge, and I'm not seeing the trajectory heading toward "Better than Season Two". But it can change, or I could be wrong about where it's heading.
  • edited May 2010
    In terms of personal enjoyment, The Devil's Playhouse already beats HtR hands down for me. But then I enjoyed Seasons 1 and 2 more than HtR for various reasons. A more objective evaluation of their quality would leave me with something like Beyond Time and Space > HtR > Save the World.

But Season 3 being better than Season 2? Or any of the other Sam & Max games (except maybe Save the World)? Too early to tell. I love where it's been heading so far, but there's too much that can happen between now and the last episode. I'm waiting until at least Episode 3 before -- if it applies -- I say something like, "Boy, this is shaping up to be better than Season 2!" Calling it one way or another, though? Not until the bitter, twisty end.
  • edited May 2010
    Would you also agree with me that Tales of MI has a better story than MI 1 and 2? Just the story.

Naw, can't be. Cause in ToMI Guybrush goes through the same transformations as LeChuck did in MI1 and 2.

On topic:
    I considered HTR never to be a really great LA-classic. A very good and funny adventure, but MI1&2, Dott, Indy3&4 and Maniac Mansion are my all time favorites. :cool:

I love what TellTale has done to S&M. Now that i played 301 & 302 i think S&M is one of the best adventure franchises ever. :)

How about giving Conroy Bumpus and Lee Harvey a cameo?
  • edited May 2010
    Shemp wrote: »
    On topic:
    I considered HTR never to be a really great LA-classic. A very good and funny adventure, but MI1&2, Dott, Indy3&4 and Maniac Mansion are my all time favorites. :cool:

I love what TellTale has done to S&M. Now that i played 301 & 302 i think S&M is one of the best adventure franchises ever. :)

How about giving Conroy Bumpus and Lee Harvey a cameo?

Well, when I said 'classic', I meant in the Sam and Max series, not all of LucasArts. Also, Conroy Bumpus and Lee Harvey are owned by LucasArts, so I don't think they can. Otherwise, I'd prefer Bruno the bigfoot to make an appearance.
  • edited May 2010
    I didn't really like ToMI's story that much, actually. It felt like it was going somewhere interesting (Guybrush lost a hand, human LeChuck seemed nice and it looked like there would be another villain instead) but in the end it kind of just went back in statu quo and that disappointed me.

I didn't like the first three episodes as episodes, and as far as the story goes I feel the end of episode four and the whole of episode 5 just ruined everything that could have been good about ToMI's story.

So in the end, we're left with "prevent a pox from infesting the Caribbeans" and "stuff that could have been interesting but quickly revert to normal at the end", neither of which seem specifically better than Revenge to me.
    I guess it beats Secret, though.
  • edited May 2010
    Honestly...I wasn't crazy about Hit the Road in the first place. It had moments I enjoyed, several things that made me laugh, but in the end, when I reflect back on the feeling I have on the overall experience, it's less of a positive feeling and more of a weird one. I'd be perfectly willing to give the game another shot, but after one play through... It doesn't even come close to beating any of the Telltale games in my book.

Of course, it was my very first experience with Sam and Max, other than seeing a bit of the animated series when it originally aired (which I have no memory of at all), so maybe I'll enjoy it more now than I did then. And by then, I mean a few months ago.
  • edited May 2010
    Oh, and apart from the art and controls, I think I like all of Telltale's Sam and Max games better than Hit the Road.

Have only played Hit the Road once, though, and at a time when I probably would have missed most of the jokes. So I guess I should probably play it again soon.
  • edited May 2010
    Maybe if I manage to get Surfin' the Highway, I'll play Hit the Road again after I've finally gotten to read the original comics. I'm hoping to have a chance to preorder Puzzle Agent and finally pick up Surfin' the Highway, so it could happen before too long.
  • edited May 2010

Well, I've only played MI 1, tales, and about 4% of 3 and 4, so I can't definitively say, but Tales certainly has a more epic storyline than the secret. can't wait for mi2 se though, that's why i havent played 2 yet.
  • edited May 2010
    To me, the Devil's Playhouse would have been better if it had those awesome animated map icons like the ones HTR has. The city map in Penal Zone looks rather boring compared to HTR.
    480px-Hit_the_Road_-_Full_map.png
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Oh, and apart from the art and controls, I think I like all of Telltale's Sam and Max games better than Hit the Road.

Have only played Hit the Road once, though, and at a time when I probably would have missed most of the jokes. So I guess I should probably play it again soon.

I also need to replay Hit the Road. Actually, I'm not even sure I finished it the first time... but after replacing the box art with Laserschwart's, it seems to have breathed a new life into the game and makes me want to play it more.
  • edited May 2010
    Well The Devil's Playhouse is my favourite so far, in most of the games I usaully have that small niggle in the back of my mind is thinking "Now how was I suppose to figure that out?!" though never enough to make me hate the series, infact I love them all but season 3 (so far) hasn't made me feel like, infact the times I have gotten stuck and finally do figure it out I feel like "well that was just my own incompetence right thar". I know that's a pretty dumb reason but it's more than that. The story is really intriguing and the dialog even seems better and... flows better... somehow. I always find my self interested and hyped for the next episode. Of course it's only been two episodes so far so who knows.

As for Monkey Island... I dunno not played those... YET!
  • edited May 2010
    Honestly...I wasn't crazy about Hit the Road in the first place. It had moments I enjoyed, several things that made me laugh, but in the end, when I reflect back on the feeling I have on the overall experience, it's less of a positive feeling and more of a weird one. (...)

It was quite an extraordinary game back in '93, and I think it ages quite well. I also like the Telltale seasons better, but there's nearly 15 years between HTR and Season 1 - the kind of humour HTR had was not very usual back then.
  • edited May 2010
    I think episodic gaming cant match the old long adventure projects. Between episodes i always find cracks were story elements, puzzles and difficulty fall down.
    There is of course progress; about graphics, camera movements, puzzles lay out and such, but they re technical progress that make the form of the game rather than it content. About pure content i think the long LA adventures are still unmatched.
  • edited May 2010
    Ignatius wrote: »
    I think episodic gaming cant match the old long adventure projects. Between episodes i always find cracks were story elements, puzzles and difficulty fall down.
    There is of course progress; about graphics, camera movements, puzzles lay out and such, but they re technical progress that make the form of the game rather than it content. About pure content i think the long LA adventures are still unmatched.

Well, you can always wait until the full series before playing it, so it's not really up to the game whether you have to wait between episodes or not.

Also, the episodic system is actually good for the story, because each episode contains several major plot points. In HTR, there are very few major plot points(Sam and Max go to the carnival, they are assigned to find a bigfoot. They found him, but he needs help finishing a bigfoot ritual. They helped him), which makes the events feel unnatural, because they all happen solely because Sam and Max did something or go somewhere. In TDP, there are more plot points that happen naturally, and not through the actions of Sam and Max (Max's brain got stolen, but not because Sam and Max did something, or went somewhere, it just happened.) This makes the story more complex and eventful, as well as making it feel less like a string of puzzles and objectives.

It's kinda like Grim Fandango, a game that, while not episodic, is divided into chapters, or 'years'. There is no overall objective in Grim Fandango. The story direction and the characters' motivations change each plot point.

This is also why I like the story of TMI more than the first two MI games. MI2 doesn't have much plot points; most of the game is about Guybrush looking for four map pieces, and there aren't many plot points within that objective. While in TMI, Guybrush's objectives, and the roles of each character in it, changes constantly (Morgan started of as an enemy, then she became his friend, then there's betrayal, and so on.)
  • edited May 2010
    When i talk about cracks between episodes im not referring to the month between them, in fact i think they are most noticeable when you play it without waiting.

And i found more natural the long plots rather than the short ones that are later smashed together. On one side you have this one long case that they should resolve by clues and stuff, its a big map with lot of clues, places, etc. There is still diversity. On the other side its a different motive for each episode, and at the end of the season they just pile all those things up and make a big surreal conspiracy plot. Its ok because its Sam and Max, but in the first 2 season a very simmilar scheme was used: different plots piled up at the end and presented as a big secret conspiracy plan.

Again, its perfect im not against it, but personally i found the "long ones" to be better planned.
  • edited May 2010
    SillyStell wrote: »
    Well The Devil's Playhouse is my favourite so far, in most of the games I usaully have that small niggle in the back of my mind is thinking "Now how was I suppose to figure that out?!"...!

I felt EXACTLY like that at the
    red oozing snail puzzle in Moai Better Blues
  • edited May 2010
    I still prefere Hit The Road for the feeling. I mean, even if Telltale’s writing is good, I still think that the jokes in Hit the Road are way better. The personalities are funnier, I mean, since Season one, there is still not any character as funny as snuckey’s waiters, molemen (you really can’t compare), Conroy Bumpus, the fakir, even the fat guy in the world of fish. Maybe because back then, they didn’t care at all about cameras and everything, and more focused in animation, writing and acting. Nothing so far beats the cat in the begining. 2D has probably a lot to do with that… but I also think sometimes TellTale tries to make something fun, instead of just being fun.
  • edited May 2010
    a grade
  • edited May 2010
    ps Ignatius they side it all red e in episode 301 professor max destroys everything or something
  • edited June 2010
    In terms of puzzle design I reckon TDP is right up there with the best of them, much better than HtR but in terms of style and humour it's still nowhere near.
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »

I can't stand the verb system in Hit the Road. Irritating and cumbersome, at best.
  • MRNMRN
    edited June 2010
    I loved how if you kept clicking on an unpickable object sam would get annoyed and then start crying, in HTR xD
Sign in to comment in this discussion.