Jurgen appreciation thread

edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
I didn't see one when I searched, but if there is one already, I apologize. Doesn't he deserve two anyway? :U
Season 3 has made me totally love Jurgen. Especially
human Jurgen. I mean, those eyes.
C'mon, don't you love him?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    I'd prefer a Shambling Corporate Presence appreciation thread
  • edited May 2010
    Blargh?
    :U I need to make one of those next.
    But I'd rather not do it at 3am.
  • edited May 2010
    Yeees? :)
  • edited May 2010
    I hated Jurgen in 203, but in 302, he was cool! I love his outfit, that emo thing didn't work anymore. And human Jurgen was just as cool. If Telltale brings him back, I hope it's in that costume.
  • edited May 2010
    I like Human Jurgen but still am annoyed as heck at vampire Jurgen.

So I'm only half here
  • MRNMRN
    edited May 2010
    I like Vampire/Emo Jurgen more than human Jurgen for some reason. I just don't like him as human.
  • edited May 2010
    I love him. He's so adorable in this episode! Just look at his hair and clothes! It's all so lovably dorky.
  • edited May 2010
    I dislike him largely for the reasons that I'm not supposed to like him. Torturing him on the other hand, is quite enjoyable.
  • edited May 2010
    For me, Jurgen is one of the most entertaining characters in the Telltale Sam&Max universe - "he" got my vote for best supporting character in season 2, and "his" appearance in 302 is also a lot of fun.
  • edited May 2010
    I think he might come back as his vampire in a later episode - possibly where sam and max heal him using the vampire reverse curse (which they didn't seem to use in the end...)
  • edited May 2010
    tabstis wrote: »
    I think he might come back as his vampire in a later episode - possibly where sam and max heal him using the vampire reverse curse (which they didn't seem to use in the end...)

I think the vampire reverse cures only works before you are bitten
  • edited May 2010
    Jurgen is awesome. I like both versions.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    I like the way human Jurgen looks so innocent with those freckles and big blue eyes, but underneath he's just as much of a b****** as the vampire version.
  • edited May 2010

That would defeat episode 203 altogether!

Isn't it mean that -of all people- Sameth is responsible for turning Jürgen into a vampire?!!
  • edited May 2010
    barchetta wrote: »
    Isn't it mean that -of all people- Sameth is responsible for turning Jürgen into a vampire?!!

I actually found that quite amusing.
  • edited May 2010

Jurgen said it was too late: presumably the curse is irreversible when he actually becomes a vampire. Also, he seems quite happy with his new vampire self anyway.
  • edited May 2010
    I thought that he liked being a vampire after he became one but in a later episode, perhaps they turn him back for a puzzle or something even if he doesn't want to be...
  • edited May 2010
    I think it's amazing that as a human Jurgen was even skinnier and girlier than he was as an emo vampire. I realize he hadn't eaten in fifty years, but still!
  • edited June 2010
    Randulf wrote: »
    Jurgen said it was too late: presumably the curse is irreversible when he actually becomes a vampire. Also, he seems quite happy with his new vampire self anyway.

The curse is basically a slightly different bad luck whammy, it attracts vampires to you.So the curse removal would just stop a vampire coming near you not undo the biting, he isn't actually cursed anymore.
  • edited June 2010
    I don’t like Jurgen. I don’t like his design, and he doesn’t make me laugh at all. He’s the kind of character I’d love to see in a very minor role, because yes in that situation it works. But I mean, if he had a real german accent, if he had a very strong personal design, yes… but for me he looks more like a normal guy’s photo where teenagers have drawn funny things onto. He have no charisma at all… :(
  • edited June 2010
    For the most part, I like Jurgen okay. The one thing I don't like: his nipple rings. -shudder-
  • edited June 2010
    I didn't care much about Jürgen in 203 but I loved him as a human in 302. I was sad we were supposed to turn him into a vampire.
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I didn't care much about Jürgen in 203 but I loved him as a human in 302. I was sad we were supposed to turn him into a vampire.

He was a pansy in 302
  • edited June 2010
    For the most part, I like Jurgen okay. The one thing I don't like: his nipple rings. -shudder-

Yes, agreed! I did not like those at all, they were one of the few things that I did not like. Nipples should not have piercings, and especially not the piercings that he had.

-shudder-[2]
  • edited June 2010
    Human Jürgen all the way :D
    Also, why are the umlaut dots missing on the ü, Telltale? I demand an explanation!
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »

I think "he" was awesome in 203. Where would this world be without an emo vampire? :)
  • edited June 2010
    Being German and from Stuttgart myself I have to say I like Jurgen and the attention my hometown gets.
    I like that he is a wimpy wussy Vampire and all that.

What i majorly dislike is the fake German accent and the inability to pronounce the German words in his lines. How hard can it be to get some German origin voice actor or at least ask some German for advice on proper words and pronounciation if you want to use that in your product?

Hell.. i bet you would have 100 volunteers that help you for free if you would ask for help.

Bad German accent is not funny for Germans cause half the time its incomprehensible what the character tries to say and i can't believe its funny for Americans cause they wouldn't understand fake or real German either way.

That being said:
    <3 Jurgen and Stuttgart
  • edited June 2010
    he wise in a wall let her you sand gunmen after that plus it so ovens the German ascent isolate really a gunmen ascent that is why it is fun
  • edited June 2010
    At least he has a better accent than most game Germans, where they only change the s's to z's. Ziz iz not how ze Germanz zould zpeak.
  • edited June 2010
    At least he has a better accent than most game Germans, where they only change the s's to z's. Ziz iz not how ze Germanz zould zpeak.

Yeah. You should change all 'th's into 'z's as long as it is a vowel that follows the 'th'.

Edit: Oh, and all 'g's are pronounced in the way that you would pronounce 'j' in the name 'Jacque'.
  • edited June 2010
    Fake accents are funnier than real ones. I'm pretty sure it was intentional. Heck, for Team Fortress 2 Valve made sure the Sniper had a phony Australian accent, and most of TF2's creators are indeed Australian. Even the Scout from Boston has a mixed up partially-New Yorker accent.

Course that's Valve not Telltale, but I can guarantee it's the same deal. I thought they even made fun of his fake accent somewhere...can't remember though.
  • edited June 2010
    I think that the aim with Jurgen was less to have a German accent and more a vaguely European accent that was, for lack of a better word, flamboyant or even "metrosexual".

Which is actually far less fitting when we come back and see Jurgen's origins, but it would've been more off-putting to suddenly shift his accent in a later episode.
  • edited June 2010
    I always sorta thought the fake cheesey acent added to his character, although I can understand why you found it anoying. For some reason I really hate terrible brittish acents, sometimes in the right context it's funny but it mainly anoys me.

I think the best german impression in a game is the medic from TF2, but not being german even then I don't know if it's good or just insulting. Funny world an't it?
  • edited June 2010
    Nagaoka wrote: »
    Fake accents are funnier than real ones. I'm pretty sure it was intentional. Heck, for Team Fortress 2 Valve made sure the Sniper had a phony Australian accent, and most of TF2's creators are indeed Australian. Even the Scout from Boston has a mixed up partially-New Yorker accent.

Course that's Valve not Telltale, but I can guarantee it's the same deal. I thought they even made fun of his fake accent somewhere...can't remember though.

Ah, no! I hate it when people try to imitate our accent. Whenever they try to imitate our way of speaking, they try to force it. But people don't seem to get that the Australian accent is quite relaxed (I think it's actually proven that we use less muscles when we speak that Americans do). I think it's partially due to the Steve Irwin influence - that guy was one of the most famous Australians in history, but he always spoke very emphatically, and when people try to imitate the Australian accent they aren't actually imitating Australians in general; they're just trying to sound like Steve Irwin.

I don't know if that's actually the case (the Steve Irwin thing), but I do know that no-one can speak like an Australian unless they're actually Australian. The best interpretations I've heard have come from the comedians Arj Barker and Danny Bhoy, but even theirs' aren't brilliant or spot-on.
  • edited June 2010
    I agree, I can barely stand listening to Americans trying to do Australian accents, because they're always so off. The one time I heard an accurate Australian accent in an American cartoon, I was so happy. The character was voiced by an Australian.

But I don't mind if the accent is part of the joke, which is how I see it with Jurgen. I have a theory that Jurgen is actually American or something and pretends to be German because he thinks it makes him cooler, though that doesn't explain the zombies.
  • PsyPsy
    edited June 2010
    Guinea wrote: »
    Human Jürgen all the way :D
    Also, why are the umlaut dots missing on the ü, Telltale? I demand an explanation!
    PacMan came by
  • edited June 2010
    SillyStell wrote: »
    For some reason I really hate terrible brittish acents, sometimes in the right context it's funny but it mainly anoys me.

Same here, I'm actually British and I usually find fake British accents insulting, there are a few times when I find them funny, but I've only played one game where I heard realistic British accents.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Whenever they try to imitate our way of speaking, they try to force it. But people don't seem to get that the Australian accent is quite relaxed (I think it's actually proven that we use less muscles when we speak that Americans do).

That doesn't surprise me! "Australian" is a pretty lazy way of speaking... you don't really move your jaw much, and letters are often just treated as vague suggestions for pronunciation (e.g. saying "Straya" instead of "Australia"). I don't think you can do it right unless it's half-arsed.
    Hayden wrote: »
    I do know that no-one can speak like an Australian unless they're actually Australian. The best interpretations I've heard have come from the comedians Arj Barker and Danny Bhoy, but even theirs' aren't brilliant or spot-on.

The best non-Aussie Aussie accent I've heard is Michael Caine's at the end of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Very impressive.
  • edited June 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    I agree, I can barely stand listening to Americans trying to do Australian accents, because they're always so off. The one time I heard an accurate Australian accent in an American cartoon, I was so happy. The character was voiced by an Australian.

But I don't mind if the accent is part of the joke, which is how I see it with Jurgen. I have a theory that Jurgen is actually American or something and pretends to be German because he thinks it makes him cooler, though that doesn't explain the zombies.

that realy would explain superballs presence at his castle
  • edited June 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    That doesn't surprise me! "Australian" is a pretty lazy way of speaking... you don't really move your jaw much, and letters are often just treated as vague suggestions for pronunciation (e.g. saying "Straya" instead of "Australia"). I don't think you can do it right unless it's half-arsed.

The thing about that is that we kind of mix our syllables together, so the words kind of become shorter, and longer words are easier to say. It's such a simple accent, I don't understand why it's so hard for people to do.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.