Graphics

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I think a CGI cartoony style like the Clone Wars series could fit Back to the Future quite well.

Oh, yeah. Like in Team Fortress 2 or Brutal Legend, right?
  • edited June 2010
    I haven't played those two games, but, for what I've seen on videos and trailers, yes, I suppose so.
  • edited June 2010
    cartoony leaves way more room.
  • edited June 2010
    I say cartoony, it may have been live action, but a BTTF game with slightly cartoon graphics would be great. If it was made too real then I doubt it would be as fun. But I'm hoping for either one.
  • edited June 2010
    there always was a Cartoon to BTTF so it would be nothing new to get BTTF in that style.... iam more concerned about if realistic graphics are suited that much for telltale...over all there are only a few games with realistic graphics that don't look unnatural...
    but what iam really curious about is the story line, will it be based on the movies? or will we get a new one?,if so, who will write its? maybe its the long awaited part 4, written by the authors of the original movies
  • edited June 2010
    There was never a Part 4 going to be made. Ever.
  • edited June 2010
    There was never a Part 4 going to be made. Ever.

ture, but there where alway rumors.
    I meaned it more in a way like Ghostbusters: the game is part 3 of the series
  • edited June 2010
    Rumours don't mean that this new BTTF game is the long lost BTTF4 script written by the original film makers who have always said they would never make another movie.

And no, Ghostbusters is not Part 3 of the series (anymore than the second movie was Part 2. They aren't a continuing saga). It's a game that takes place shortly after the second film. Though, I heard they're going to make a third film because they enjoyed the game so much.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't honestly know, I mean, I loved the cartoon series as a kid, but I think I would want to see this look realistic. They had pretty deicent looking graphics on their CSI game, so I don't see why realistic can't look good.

I really don't know that I want to see a cartoon delorean, But you never know, it could be better suited to be a graphics style like Team Fortress 2 and other stylized games.

I just don't want a kiddy art style, stylized maybe, but not too cartoonish. :p
  • edited June 2010
    I've just finished playing "Secret Files Tunguska" and I really like that graphics style. That was four years ago; would it be possible to extrapolate that into a full 3D engine? I think it could be a very good balance between cartoon and realism.

But a problem I've been facing is that how more "real" a game looks, how more boring it becomes; which is rather odd, because CGI realism can otherwise really astound me. It's just when it becomes interactive it also becomes less interesting visually. Not to mention more difficult to locate hotspots.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2010
    I've just finished playing "Secret Files Tunguska" and I really like that graphics style. That was four years ago; would it be possible to extrapolate that into a full 3D engine? I think it could be a very good balance between cartoon and realism.

I considered Tunguska as having enormous problems with lifeless graphics and very bad animation. The character models were not detailed enough for their faces to be actually recognized - emotions could not be handled at all. Although the backgrounds were a little better than that of other counterparts, they still looked designed and pasted together without an artist's eye concerning object and color composition etc.
    But a problem I've been facing is that how more "real" a game looks, how more boring it becomes; which is rather odd, because CGI realism can otherwise really astound me. It's just when it becomes interactive it also becomes less interesting visually.

I think this is exactly where my Scott McCloud-citation comes into play. If you're going for "realism", you will spend an awful lot of your time and your customer's computer resources by recreating the absolute basics of human anatomy. When you finally are ready to get to the things actually transporting emotions (facial animation), you might well be out of time and resources. A "cartoonish"/"stylized" approach would focus and exaggerate exactly what makes characters recognizable and exiting: Facial animation, gesture, recognizable character features (portrait, caricature).

It's impossible to strike a balance between "cartoonish" and "realistic" that suits everyone. There's an entire multi-dimensional cosmos between these two extremes, and most of it is unexplored.
  • edited June 2010
    Dang, I voted realistic but I want it cartoon style now, I can totally see that work.
    Sure wish I could change the vote. :P
  • edited June 2010
    These were cool gfx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOW5iLXIPwM ........ in its day
  • edited July 2010
    Both can work but i think Telltale's best choice is to go in a cartoony game style similar to the ghostbusters game for the wii

I'm a little worried that with Telltale doing bigger and more popular games they may abandon lucasarts titles for bigger things.

This. Faithful, but not much more "realistic" than what you'd see from the humans in Monkey Island or S&M.
  • edited July 2010
    I dont want to see anything over the top Cartoony.
  • edited July 2010
    Hey, Watch this video. Christipher Loydd said all they had to do was ask
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    Realistic? Cartoony? I can't make an official statement.

All I can say... is that I can't wait until we can begin revealing our concept art.

It is fantastic! I doubt anyone will be disappointed.
  • edited July 2010
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    Realistic? Cartoony? I can't make an official statement.

All I can say... is that I can't wait until we can begin revealing our concept art.

It is fantastic! I doubt anyone will be disappointed.

This is probably a longshot question..... but is there any chance to get a time-frame on when we may get to see that concept art? :confused::D
  • edited July 2010
    Cartoony but also more important, I want to be able to drive the TIME MACHINE!. altho that might be pushing it for the Telltale engine, atleast the time machines needs better physics that the sam & max desoto xD
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    Spykes wrote: »
    This is probably a longshot question..... but is there any chance to get a time-frame on when we may get to see that concept art? :confused::D

nope. sorry.
  • edited July 2010
    Good question! I would love to see any concept art for the game!
  • edited July 2010
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    nope. sorry.

I had to try. :p
  • edited July 2010
    This is the one game I won't be angry at Telltale for recycling character mods (Tales of Monkey Island). Because... you know... ancestors and descendants all look alike.
  • edited July 2010
    I prefer a realistic style .
  • edited July 2010
    I am happy they are making a Bttf game! dont mind if it is cartoon or realistic, just not to cartoony lol
  • edited August 2010
    Realistic, of course. I'm not 5 years old. :)
  • edited August 2010
    DeLorean wrote: »
    Realistic, of course. I'm not 5 years old. :)

Why would you have to be 5 years old to appreciate an art style?
  • edited August 2010
    Why would you have to be 5 years old to appreciate an art style?

I'm just trying to say that they look childish.

(but that's just my opinon)
  • edited August 2010
    DeLorean wrote: »
    I'm just trying to say that they look childish.

(but that's just my opinon)

So anything hand drawn or any artistic interpretation of a real person looks childish according to you?
  • edited August 2010
    La+Gioconda-Vinci.jpg
    OMG, that's SO childish...
  • edited August 2010
    No...no, not childish...IT'S A MAN, BABY!
  • edited August 2010
    Spykes wrote: »
    So anything hand drawn or any artistic interpretation of a real person looks childish according to you?

When did I say that? I just don't want it look like a cartoon.
  • edited August 2010
    A 20 year old film deserves better graphics that arent suited to a 5 year old.
  • edited August 2010
    evilrex wrote: »
    A 20 year old film deserves better graphics that arent suited to a 5 year old.

Yes, because only 5 year olds have ever watched cartoons. Good thing there are all these TV shows for 5 year olds like Family Guy, Futurama, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, etc. Man, anything that isn't photorealism is just absolute garbage, amirite?
  • edited August 2010
    Yes, because only 5 year olds have ever watched cartoons. Good thing there are all these TV shows for 5 year olds like Family Guy, Futurama, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, etc. Man, anything that isn't photorealism is just absolute garbage, amirite?

Yeah, plus another thing is cartoon graphics are only really suited to comedies. Like the ones you listed there. Back to the future, reminds me so much of a cartoon comedy when I watch it.
  • edited August 2010
    evilrex wrote: »
    Yeah, plus another thing is cartoon graphics are only really suited to comedies. Like the ones you listed there. Back to the future, despite having a few jokes here and there, is certainly not a comedy.

Photo realism? Who needs that, as long as it isn't cartoony shit and people actually look like humanoids its cool.

There are about 90,000 cartoons that aren't comedy. You need to stop being so close-minded.
  • edited August 2010
    There are about 90,000 cartoons that aren't comedy. You need to stop being so close-minded.

Yep, I certainly traced the sarcasm in this.
  • edited August 2010
    My brother in law is staying over a few days and he's been watching "The Clone Wars". Now I remember when that series was first announced I didn't much care for the character designs, yet now I see how much they actually resemble the real life actors. The designs still don't sit well with me, but with a "little" finetuning I think the style could lend itself well to computer games based on live action movies.

I like realistic looking characters better than cartoonish ones as well, but then those often look rather bland and far less iconic. While I don't want them to go the extreme caricature way, I doubt "Final Fantasy" type characters are necessary, either - which isn't part of Telltale's portfolio anyway. But who knows how fast that can change. These are new licenses, after all, which demand new styles than the ones Telltale has already mastered.
  • edited August 2010
    I like realistic looking characters better than cartoonish ones as well, but then those often look rather bland and far less iconic. While I don't want them to go the extreme caricature way, I doubt "Final Fantasy" type characters are necessary, either - which isn't part of Telltale's portfolio anyway.

I agree 100%.
  • edited August 2010
    should this poll even exist?

has TTG ever EVER made a non cartoonish game? even the CSI rendition was more cartoonish than any other previous version of the game

yea not voting.. already know how it will be
Sign in to comment in this discussion.