Cucumbers Cut Lengthwise appreciation thread

edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
How could we ever forget to make an appreciation thread for the heart and soul of Moleman humour?:D

00005.jpg

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Aw hell no! You mean "Cucumbers Cut Sidewise Appreciation Thread"

These things are evil
  • edited June 2010
    That picture has made me feel like eating a/some cucumber. This is the first time that I have ever felt like eating cucumber. I don't dislike cucumber, but this is the first time I have ever thought 'hey, I feel like eating cucumber'.
  • edited June 2010
    Such is the awesome power of cucumbers cut lengthwise, my friend.
  • edited June 2010
    Aye, that was the first thought that crossed my mind afterward :D.
  • edited June 2010
    These things should NEVER have recieved an appreciation thread.
  • edited June 2010
    Are cucumbers a fruit or a vegetable?
  • edited June 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Are cucumbers a fruit or a vegetable?
    I nevers asked this myself, but I find this interesting enough:
    Wikipedia:
    Having an enclosed seed and developing from a flower, botanically speaking, cucumbers are classified as fruits. However, much like tomatoes and squash they are usually perceived, prepared and eaten as vegetables.
    And Wikipedia is probably written by molemen too: :)
    400px-Cucumber_and_cross_section.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, seriously, the whole fruit/vegetable thing is often very fuzzy, we mostly say "fruit" if we primarily eat it for dessert and "vegetable" if we primarily eat it as a side dish.

Also, I think figs and artichokes are actually flowers.

Anyways, I love cucumber. My favourite way to have it is "a la Cowabunga"... Am I the only person who uses that expression? Actually, is it Kowabunga? Anyways... You hold the cucumber, full, in your weaker hand, and a big knife in the main hand. Both held up in the air, with a plate on bowl in front of you on a table or something.

Then you yell "Kowabunga!" and slash a piece from the cucumber, and it falls in the dish. And then you eat it (with the skin on).

When I was a kid, my dad did all the parts up to eating it.
  • edited June 2010
    What about pickles? They are cucumbers, and commonly cut lengthwise.
    Avistew wrote: »
    Yeah, seriously, the whole fruit/vegetable thing is often very fuzzy...

Well, only for peaches and kiwi fruit. (And stuff that's been left in my fridge for too long.)
    Anyways, I love cucumber. My favourite way to have it is "a la Cowabunga"... Am I the only person who uses that expression? Actually, is it Kowabunga? Anyways... You hold the cucumber, full, in your weaker hand, and a big knife in the main hand. Both held up in the air, with a plate on bowl in front of you on a table or something.

Then you yell "Kowabunga!" and slash a piece from the cucumber, and it falls in the dish. And then you eat it (with the skin on).

With my luck, I would end up serving my thumb. (with the skin still on).
  • edited June 2010
    lu_ming wrote: »
    00005.jpg

This is blasphemy.
  • edited June 2010
    Klatuu wrote: »

Ooh, that reminds me of a debate between my husband and his roommate about whether "pickle" meant a pickled cucumber, or a pickled anything. My husband would insist that he could call "a pickle" anything that was pickled, while his roommate insisted that "a pickle" only meant the cucumber one.
    They would go on and on about it every time the subject came back. The could never convince each other.
    I say, just eat them!

Incidentally, I pretty much only eat cornichons. Wikipedia tells me you call them gherkins.
    And really, you rarely cut these at all.
    Well, only for peaches and kiwi fruit. (And stuff that's been left in my fridge for too long.)

I see what you did there :p
  • edited June 2010
    Only Satan and his minions cut their pickles lengthwise.
  • edited June 2010
    Yes, I enjoyed that running gag quite a bit actually. :)
    Ooh, that reminds me of a debate between my husband and his roommate about whether "pickle" meant a pickled cucumber, or a pickled anything. My husband would insist that he could call "a pickle" anything that was pickled, while his roommate insisted that "a pickle" only meant the cucumber one.
    They would go on and on about it every time the subject came back. The could never convince each other.
    I say, just eat them!

'A Pickle' means a pickled cucumber, specifically.

If it's anything else, it will have a different name, most likely beginning with the word 'pickled.' [i.e. Pickled eggs, pickled lettuce ect.] is saurkraut pickled? I'm not sure, but if it is you wouldn't call it a pickle would you?

Your husband is confused. :o
  • edited June 2010
    Catfish33 wrote: »
    'A Pickle' means a pickled cucumber, specifically.

If it's anything else, it will have a different name, most likely beginning with the word 'pickled.' [i.e. Pickled eggs, pickled lettuce ect.] is saurkraut pickled? I'm not sure, but if it is you wouldn't call it a pickle would you?

Your husband is confused. :o

My various jars of "mixed pickles" (including some that don't have ANY cucumbers in them) seem to disagree with you :p

EDIT: here, from wikipedia:
    Pickles may refer to

* A pickled cucumber, the food most commonly referred to as a pickle in the U.S. and Canada
    * A pickled onion, the food most commonly referred to as a pickle in the UK
    * Other vegetables that have been pickled
  • edited June 2010
    My various jars of "mixed pickles" (including some that don't have ANY cucumbers in them) seem to disagree with you :p

EDIT: here, from wikipedia:

Hmmm when I see a pickled onion I think "Hey a pickled onion" NOT "Hey a pickle."

Whoever wrote the wiki is INSANE.

ok I'm kidding although, I can't speak for the uk or canada, but here in the states if someone called a pickled onion, a 'pickle,' they would get a very funny look. Or a pickled carrot a 'pickle' ect ect
  • edited June 2010
    I think technically they're all pickles, but when you just say "a pickle", people will assume the cucumber one. So you need to specify if you want to be sure the person understands what you mean (say, pickled carrots, or pickled baby corn or something). Still, really, it means both and either.

I know that we have pickled wild cucumber right now, and while it's a cucumber, it's not the same type that's usually pickled so even for that the jar specifies "pickled wild cucumber" and not just "pickles".
  • edited June 2010
    Anyhow, the point we all know is that cucumbers cut lengthwise are the Devil's favourite food, and angels eat cucumbers cut sidewise.
  • edited June 2010
    My husband cuts bananas peels lengthwise.
    He says it's a chef thing.
  • edited June 2010
    My husband cuts bananas peels lengthwise.
    He says it's a chef thing.

bananas are different because they're a herb.
  • edited June 2010
    bananas are different because they're a herb.

What?! You pronounce the H in herb? Man, I was sure you didn't!
    ... Wasn't it "hour, heir, honest and herb"?

I'm totally confused now.
  • edited June 2010
    What?! You pronounce the H in herb? Man, I was sure you didn't!
    ... Wasn't it "hour, heir, honest and herb"?

I'm totally confused now.

You don't pronounce the "H" in "herb." The Highway doesn't type in perfect English, so he may cause confusion.
  • edited June 2010
    Ah, yes, that's a possible explanation too. Thanks!
  • edited June 2010

Sammeth and Maximus thought so too. Kept blabbing their mouths in front of the mole men. You know what happened to them right? Sources report it as an "accident". Yeah. Uh huh...
  • edited June 2010
    Power46 wrote: »
    You don't pronounce the "H" in "herb." The Highway doesn't type in perfect English, so he may cause confusion.

I am actually a grammar nazi, but I say the "H" because that's just how we do it down under.
  • edited June 2010
    So you complaining because somone is not pronouncing something they typed thats typed. Would it be better to type 'erb, 'onest and 'alf.
  • edited June 2010
    Who are you talking to exactly, Gibbon?
    I was just overreacting to the fact he wrote "a herb" and not "an herb", because I found it funny that it shocked me more than the fact he said bananas were herbs.
    And he just pronounces it the Aussie way because that's where he's from.
    I don't think either of us is complaining.
  • edited June 2010
    I am actually a grammar nazi, but I say the "H" because that's just how we do it down under.

I can second this.

Also, how does everyone pronounce 'historic'? Because I've always wondered why it's written 'an historic day'.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm pretty sure the h in historic is pronounced. At least I pronounce it.
  • edited June 2010
    I can second this.

Also, how does everyone pronounce 'historic'? Because I've always wondered why it's written 'an historic day'.

saying "a historic" is a bit jerky, just then when i quietly whispered it, so pronouncing the h in "an historic" is actually better.
  • edited June 2010
    saying "a historic" is a bit jerky, just then when i quietly whispered it, so pronouncing the h in "an historic" is actually better.

Actually, yes. After reading your comment, I did the same, and "an historic" does come off the tongue a lot easier.
  • edited June 2010
    Actually, yes. After reading your comment, I did the same, and "an historic" does come off the tongue a lot easier.
    The exception proves the rule, I guess. :D
    Btw., "a historic" seems more common anyways. Google finds about 6,470,000 results vs. 2,600,000 results for "an historic".
    Also, conveniently, the first result for both terms might be of interest here. :)
  • edited June 2010
    A well known grammar rule says that we should use an before vowel sounds; for example, an accident, an item, an hour. We use a otherwise: a book, a hotel, a university.

Harder to get than the silent Hs (after all we get those too) was the idea that "university" and the like don't start with a vowel. Took me years to get used to saying "a university" rather than "an university".
  • edited June 2010
    And another thing. Who pronounces 'H' as 'aych' and who pronounces it 'haych'?
  • edited June 2010
    attachment.php?attachmentid=383

OK this got off-topic fast. Who's the culprit this time?
  • edited June 2010
    I think it was [post=324103]Avistew's[/post] fault this time, caeska.

EDIT: And I pronounce it "aych."
  • edited June 2010
    Actually, the "H" in "Herb" is pronounced.
  • edited June 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    Actually, the "H" in "Herb" is pronounced.

Only if it is the name "Herb." The item by the name of "herb" does not have the "H" pronounced.
  • edited June 2010
    It's pronounced without the h in American and Canadian English, but in other forms of English the h is pronounced.
  • edited June 2010
    Power46 wrote: »
    EDIT: And I pronounce it "aych."

Yes! That is the way that I pronounce it. The way that I believe to be the correct way.
  • edited June 2010
    Yes! That is the way that I pronounce it. The way that I believe to be the correct way.

it is. but what about "z"?

apparently, the "australian" way is "zed", but i just say z.
This discussion has been closed.