Cucumbers Cut Lengthwise appreciation thread

2»

Comments

• edited June 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    attachment.php?attachmentid=383

OK this got off-topic fast.

Well, there's only so much you can say about lengthwise-cut cucumbers. The topic doesn't exactly call for much discussing.
  • edited June 2010
    it is. but what about "z"?

apparently, the "australian" way is "zed", but i just say z.

I say 'zed', unless I'm singing the alphabet or speaking the alphabet in rhythm (because it must rhyme with 'v') or if I'm saying 'ZZ Top'.
  • edited June 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    I say 'zed', unless I'm singing the alphabet or speaking the alphabet in rhythm (because it must rhyme with 'v') or if I'm saying 'ZZ Top'.

zed zed top sounds even better!
  • edited June 2010
    zed zed top sounds even better!

Hehe, sometimes I actually say that for a joke :).

Well... not a joke, but just to be dumb.
  • edited June 2010
    Hehe, sometimes I actually say that for a joke :).

Well... not a joke, but just to be dumb.

coach zed guest starring for zed zed top.

i only say zed when i pronounce "ANZ"
  • edited June 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    attachment.php?attachmentid=383
    Reminds me of this train: :D
    ep205_train.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    it is. but what about "z"?

apparently, the "australian" way is "zed", but i just say z.
    I'm reading your z's as "zed". It makes your post read strangely.

And it's the Australian way without "scare quotes". If you pronounce it zee, you're pronouncing it the American way.

Aitch and haitch are both correct in Australian English, though. I say aitch.
  • edited June 2010
    i only say zed when i pronounce "ANZ"

Yeah, Ay-eN-Zee just sounds strange.
  • edited June 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    I'm reading your z's as "zed". It makes your post read strangely.

And it's the Australian way without "scare quotes". If you pronounce it zee, you're pronouncing it the American way.

Aitch and haitch are both correct in Australian English, though. I say aitch.

Am i mistaken, or are about 25% of the people on these forums that post frequently Australian?

Also, i didn't use them as "scare quotes".
  • edited June 2010
    I pronounce "H" as "aytch" and "z" as "zed".
  • edited June 2010
    I only say "zed", except for ZZTop. I was taught the singing alphabet with "zed" in it so I'm not sure why you'd need to change it for that.

I don't get the "I just say z". Do you say "zzzz", without any vowel? That sounds like a weird way to say it.
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I only say "zed", except for ZZTop. I was taught the singing alphabet with "zed" in it so I'm not sure why you'd need to change it for that.

I don't get the "I just say z". Do you say "zzzz", without any vowel? That sounds like a weird way to say it.

I say Zee. Better?
  • edited June 2010
    lu_ming wrote: »
    I pronounce "H" as "aytch" and "z" as "zed".

Same. All of the smarter people I know pronounce these letters this way.
  • edited June 2010
    Same. All of the smarter people I know pronounce these letters this way.

R u speeking dat eye iz nought smart?
  • edited June 2010
    Also, i didn't use them as "scare quotes".
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Scare quotes is a term for a particular use of quotation marks. In this application, quotation marks are placed around a single word or phrase to indicate that the word or phrase does not signify its literal or conventional meaning.
    If you weren't using them that way, then what were you trying to imply by putting the word Australian in quotes?

And I say zee when it's part of a name. A name is a name.
  • edited June 2010
    I say zee or zed depending on what the people around me think I pronounce it:
    If they think zee I say zed
    and vise-versa.

Also aitch
  • edited June 2010
    DD: Lol... The cucumber... Is Cut lengthwise! MADNESS!
  • edited June 2010
    I have no clue if I pronounce the H in "H" or not. I've been told I sometimes add H sounds to random words that start with a vowel or forget them when they should be pronounced. I'm going to say I'm inconsistent on whether I say "haytsh" or "aytsh".
    French is "ash", incidentally. And "zed" for Z.
  • edited June 2010
    I generally think of French speakers as pronouncing "H" as inbetween. You kind of have that aspirant/sighing at the beginning while English speakers will pronounce it as "aitch" with the first sound like the "a" in "ate" or an "h" sound like in "hate". That might be why some people hear you saying an extra "h" while others don't; they have different sensitivities to it. Like I know a British man who complains about younger people saying "wif" or "wiv" instead of "with", and yet he does it himself constantly. He just doesn't hear it when he does it.
  • edited June 2010
    cucumbers are a gourd they are in the same family as pumpkins and zukes technically it is a vegetable because of this reason same with pumpkins also a vegetable because the seeds are soft not hard fruits have to have hard seeds or they land in this catagory.
  • edited June 2010
    Pumpkins do have hard seeds.
  • edited June 2010
    no they don't there is a fine line between hard and soft seeds they are the hardest of the soft i am not sure of the specifics when it comes to determining hard vs soft but pumpkin seeds are soft
  • edited June 2010
    I can't see how blueberry/strawberry/currant seeds are harder than pumpkin seeds ...
  • edited June 2010
    I eat pumpkin seeds once, in my chinese class ^^!. Now, those were the biggest pumpkin seeds ever! And maybe not from the same pumpkin you are talking about.
  • edited June 2010
    I like cucumbers to be honest, they're really good to have on cheese. But they have to be sliced or it's impossible to eat.
  • edited June 2010
    I remember being taught that gourds are fruit. So pumpkins would be fruit, squashes too and so on.

Anyways. The interesting thing in French is that we have an aspirate H, but it's only used in laughs and the like. Like "Ha ha ha", each H is aspirate.
    And seriously, why is it called "aspirate" instead of "expirate"? I don't know about you, but I breathe out, not in when I pronounce a H.
  • edited June 2010
    Because there's an aspirate when you say aspirate? Frankly, there is much about English that doesn't make sense. The important thing is to roll with the punches and not eat bitter cucumbers. (That's one thing I don't get; cucumbers in California never taste as good as the ones I get in KSA. Why the heck would they taste better there when they're grown in a desert?!)
  • edited June 2010
    I remember being taught that gourds are fruit. So pumpkins would be fruit, squashes too and so on.

Anyways. The interesting thing in French is that we have an aspirate H, but it's only used in laughs and the like. Like "Ha ha ha", each H is aspirate.
    And seriously, why is it called "aspirate" instead of "expirate"? I don't know about you, but I breathe out, not in when I pronounce a H.

"Aspirate" and "expirate" would both essentially mean the same thing. "A" is the Latin prepositional prefix meaning "from," and "ex" is the Latin prepositional prefix meaning "out of." "De" is the prefix meaning "out from," and so "despirate" would also mean pretty much the same thing. "Inspirate" would mean "to breath in." "Obspirate" would mean "to breath in front of." "Conspirate" would mean "to breath with." "Respirate" would mean "to breath back" or "to breath again." Et cetera.
  • edited June 2010
    And "zed" for Z.
    As it is in Canada as well.
  • edited June 2010
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    As it is in Canada as well.

As far as I know, it is so in any English-speaking country that isn't the US.

Also, @thesporkman:
    as·pi·rate, tr.v.
    1 Linguistics
    [LIST=2][*] To pronounce (a vowel or word) with the initial release of breath associated with English h, as in hurry.
    [*] To follow (a consonant, especially a stop consonant) with a puff of breath that is clearly audible before the next sound begins, as in English pit or kit.[/LIST]
    2. To draw (something) into the lungs; inhale.

So when it's not in linguistics, it means to breathe in, not out.
  • edited June 2010
    As far as I know, it is so in any English-speaking country that isn't the US.
    We didn't make it up -- it's actually a regional British English dialect pronunciation that happened to catch on in the colonies, if this is to be believed. The Straight Dope also backs up that story.
  • edited June 2010
    I wasn't trying to sound insulting. Changes in language due to distance are common, and considering most of your alphabet is pronounced in a "-ee" way, "zee" makes some sense.
    Just saying that I was aware it's the same in Canada, and in most English-speaking places. Actually in school in France, we weren't even taught the "zee" variation.

EDIT: and usually, we're taught the stuff that's most different from French. Cue to years of being taught that "voyage", "vacation" and "baggage" aren't words in English, and you need to use "journey", "holiday" and "luggage".
  • edited June 2010
    I can not stop laughing its too funny....... cut lengthwise... comedy gold
  • edited June 2010
    In the north-west england it depends on how posh you act really posh is zed normal is zee.
  • edited June 2010
    EDIT: and usually, we're taught the stuff that's most different from French. Cue to years of being taught that "voyage", "vacation" and "baggage" aren't words in English, and you need to use "journey", "holiday" and "luggage".

Wha? I'm confused. Why were you taught that those weren't words, or even words not commonly used? At least where I'm from both sets of terms are common.
  • edited June 2010
    Nagaoka wrote: »
    Wha? I'm confused. Why were you taught that those weren't words, or even words not commonly used? At least where I'm from both sets of terms are common.

That's the point. Even when the words exist and are commonly used, if there is a word close to French and a word not close to French, they either told us that the words didn't exist, like in the examples above, or that they were never used, such as for instance "liberty", which was never used except for "statue of liberty".

Then in university I was told "oh yeah, all these words exist, we just wanted to make sure you'd learn the words that aren't close to French". We were penalized if we used the "wrong" ones! We got points deduced from our marks for using words like "comprehend" or "utilize". It's ridiculous.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    Well, there's only so much you can say about lengthwise-cut cucumbers. The topic doesn't exactly call for much discussing.

The solution to that is top stop discussing it then, and move on. This forum in general has become pretty shitty about just letting threads die and starting new ones. It's actually fairly annoying and lame.
This discussion has been closed.