Bugfest?

edited July 2010 in Sam & Max
I have heard people complaining that Episode 302 is full of bugs, but after three playthroughs only inconsistency I have found is
that even if moleman has cancelled his sexo rejecto curse Sameth and Maximus are cursed when they talk to Baby Amelia at the end of Reel 3.

So am I doing something wrong, because I can't find the bugs?

PS: I'm using the PC version.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Check that part again. You'll see that the moleman, thinking his daughter is hitting on Sameth and Maximus, curses them again. It's very subtle, but it's there.
    I didn't experience any bugs either, I guess we were just lucky.
  • edited June 2010
    The only bug I experienced was in the tomb, and it was a very minor one. After my Sex-o Reject-o Hex wore off, the broken green hearts continued floating from the spot I was when it wore off. So, as I walked around the tomb, green hearts were floating up from the area in front of the toybox.
  • edited June 2010
    Neelo wrote: »
    Check that part again. You'll see that the moleman, thinking his daughter is hitting on Sameth and Maximus, curses them again. It's very subtle, but it's there.
    I didn't experience any bugs either, I guess we were just lucky.

I'll have to check it, it seems that I missed it, because I was too focused on the discussion Sameth and Maximus had. Other times I had the curse still on and only first time I played the game I had it removed.
  • edited June 2010
    Some bugs aren't that noticable, but for example one bug spoiled a puzzle for me.
    Outside Kringle's door, during one of the earlier cut-scenes the Can o' Beans was visible on the tray, even though I hadn't got that far yet and Max hadn't used the power!
    This totally ruined the puzzle by basically showing me what was going to happen. Sort of like future vision without the goggles!
  • edited June 2010
    Well it is kinda sad, but it does seem that the bugs are increasing, im guessing this is because Telltale is now working on more games again :(

Really alot of bugs in episode 2 and even more in episode 3. All from Grandpa sticking returning after he has gone and disppearing and reappearing each time you look into stinkys. Max Clouds is a square graphic which you can see when he moves over grafiti on walls and stuff. It kinda ruins the immersion a bit.
  • edited June 2010
    I encountered a lot of bugs and a friend of mine got a killer bug while raiding the tomb. His bust was, well, busted. Totally gone and all.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm pretty sure they run with some sort of trouble when they did this episode. Episode 303 wasn't that buggy AT ALL.

Appart of that, I guess they fixed the reported game breaking bugs in the next build.
  • edited June 2010
    Well, what do you know? I've been informed that you can't even beat the Steam version. Killer bug.

Other than that, and some other glitches here and there, it was the most bugfree episode of the season.
  • edited June 2010
    It was most likey just my computer or something doing this but in 303
    when Sam is fighting Skunk Ape when I was Max I would turn around to see if Sammun-Mak is there to check if I can use future vision on him but weirdly he's not there, just an empty throne, except for the parts when he gets distracted by the imagery, even after that plays though he's vanished again. I can understand not being able to use the Toys of Power on him but it was just odd that he simply wasn't their
    but perhaps I just looking in the wrong place, ether way it was kinda odd at the time.
  • edited June 2010
    You know, now I think of it, and I guess this episode has the most major bugs out of any Telltale game.

Because it has Sal in it.

http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot

SillyStell wrote: »
    It was most likey just my computer or something doing this but in 303
    when Sam is fighting Skunk Ape when I was Max I would turn around to see if Sammun-Mak is there to check if I can use future vision on him but weirdly he's not there, just an empty throne, except for the parts when he gets distracted by the imagery, even after that plays though he's vanished again. I can understand not being able to use the Toys of Power on him but it was just odd that he simply wasn't their
    but perhaps I just looking in the wrong place, ether way it was kinda odd at the time.

Really? I never tried it. I should check that too when I get the chance.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah; if you bought the Steam version, you can't finish the game. I even installed my friend's Telltale.com copy of the game, and I still can't beat it (apparently my entire save is broken or something).
  • edited June 2010
    Ouch! Showstopper of a bug ... Once again I'm glad I bought direct this time ...
  • edited June 2010
    I installed the Steam version and my game works fine... I guess I'm just really lucky, because I am yet to experience a single bug on a Telltale game.
  • edited June 2010
    302 was really bugridden. Missing busts, camera's in the middle of nowhere when being on the wall were just 2 of the gamestopping bugs one could encounter.
    Then there were the myriad of little buggers.

303 seems a lot better in that regard, even with the Stinky chapter-skipping issue, Sammun-Mak missing and Papierwaite's odd teleporting about (without the animation he did in the begin, than it wouldn't have looked weird) when you can talk to him and use the signmachine.
    Also some missing subtitles and VO, but that's about it from what I could tell. Still sounds much for a TTG game, but it's certainly less than 302 had...
  • edited June 2010
    I've not encountered any game breaking bugs in my Steam version of The Stole Max's Brain. The biggest bug I had, which is also deliciously ironic, was
    after I gave toaster-max to Sal in exchange for the badge, Sal glided over to Max, and then glided over to the gift storage. No leg movement was involved. It was kinda wierd.

Apart from that, I've only seen the other mentioned bugs (missing/skipped VO and dialogue)
  • edited June 2010
    Of course, I don't know about other people's experiences, but I only bought the first two seasons relatively recently, so maybe they had a lot more bugs when they were first released, which have since been fixed; and anyone buying Season 3 in a few months' time will find them similarly bug free. For me, comparing to older series really doesn't make sense. ToMI is the only series I've played as it came out, and there were certainly occasional buggy moments.
  • edited June 2010
    As far I know, telltale does not patch their games, unless it is game breaking bug like nobody can launch game or nobody can finish it. I don't consider downloading game again from their site to see if bug is fixed without changelogs as patching.
  • edited June 2010
    Clord wrote: »
    As far I know, telltale does not patch their games, unless it is game breaking bug like nobody can launch game or nobody can finish it. I don't consider downloading game again from their site to see if bug is fixed without changelogs as patching.

there are patches (which you can see if you use the steamversions and it updates) but there is almost never a patchlog or even any sign of these updates.
  • edited June 2010
    Nope, first 2 seasons were less buggier than ToMI or Season 3.
    Makes sense with more complex games I guess, but that doesn't change the fact...
  • edited June 2010
    When I was playing 303,
    after using stormcloud-Max with Grandpa Stinky and getting him to fail at kneeling
    I tried to go into the Diner and he showed up again, after which I did the spoiler-tagged action and the whole
    give Sam a badge
    sequence happened again (though I didn't get more than one of them for my inventory.)

Also, for anyone who has played 303, I need to ask a question. When I got
    the rat's badge and the arrest-grandpa-stinky badge,
    Sam said that he had 3 items when I only counted 2. I never got the
    gift-giving badge cuz the vault didn't need more toasters
    but I wonder if Sam considered the
    brainscrew
    as the third item, and they also did let him in the the member's area. Is this a bug or was I never supposed to get
    the third badge?
  • edited June 2010
    This one was odd. I did something to someone that caused them to exit the area. Fiddled around with inventory and Max's powers. When I got back to Sam the someone was back! Did the something again, and it counted both times. Must use an increment counter instead of a flag for each. So I finished a bit sooner than I probably should have.
  • edited June 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    Is this a bug or was I never supposed to get
    the third badge?
    There is a way to get the third badge. You will have to get rid of all the toasters in the world first though. Now how would you do that....
  • edited June 2010
    Sumrnot1 wrote: »
    This one was odd. I did something to someone that caused them to exit the area. Fiddled around with inventory and Max's powers. When I got back to Sam the someone was back! Did the something again, and it counted both times. Must use an increment counter instead of a flag for each. So I finished a bit sooner than I probably should have.

you know, you can use [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] tags (no spaces) to actually say what you mean without giving stuff away.
  • edited June 2010
    you know, you can use [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] tags (no spaces) to actually say what you mean without giving stuff away.

already changed it.
  • edited June 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    already changed it.

no. you ninja'd me. hang on a sec, I gotta quote the right post now.

edit: There, I fixed it above.

anyways...
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    There is a way to get the third badge. You will have to get rid of all the toasters in the world first though. Now how would you do that....

OHH... I know how now. =) Thanks for the tip.

So it IS a bug. -.- Must have counted getting 2 of them when I got the cutscene twice. WTF then? I got 2 bugs from doing one action in my first playthrough? Wow. Telltale needs to fix this stuff.
  • edited June 2010
    Yup, bugged out Stinky counts twice. Or thrice depending how often you do it.

Prevented me from getting the
    toaster badge too, because I couldn't exit the museum anymore... and I had to go there to use the toaster beam

Oh well, next time...
  • edited June 2010
    I never did (noticeably) run into any gameplay bugs in ToMI, but this is ridiculous here. They need to fix this episode's bugs, and I'm very concerned that they may not.
  • edited June 2010
    302 was really bugridden. Missing busts, camera's in the middle of nowhere when being on the wall were just 2 of the gamestopping bugs one could encounter.
    Then there were the myriad of little buggers.

I wonder if it's somehow computer related or something, because like I earlier said I didn't have any problems. Missing items and such could be graphics card related i. e. game has problems with some graphics cards and settings.
    I never did (noticeably) run into any gameplay bugs in ToMI, but this is ridiculous here. They need to fix this episode's bugs, and I'm very concerned that they may not.

I did find one cannon related weirdness after a sea battle, but AFAIK there weren't any other bugs in ToMI.
  • edited June 2010
    Try it for yourself.

Keep the bust in it's original position, turn Max into a cow.
    Now when you return, it's gone. Can't select it, so it's not just a graphical issue.

Nope, since you need said item, it's definitely gamebreaking.

For the second, place the bust in the right opening, then turn into a hyrogliph (sp?). Go as far right as you can, then turn into Max mode. Good luck trying to do anything once you get out of it.

There were more, but these are the 2 most easily replicatable ones that are pretty serious...
  • PsyPsy
    edited June 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    Well, what do you know? I've been informed that you can't even beat the Steam version. Killer bug.

Other than that, and some other glitches here and there, it was the most bugfree episode of the season.

Any idea what's up with the steam version? I assume you're talking about 303 here...
  • PsyPsy
    edited June 2010
    Psy wrote: »
    Any idea what's up with the steam version? I assume you're talking about 303 here...

Never mind, found the issue in the support forums and tossed it to a few people. We never experienced anything remotely like that in testing (And can verify that it worked on multicore and Win7 machines) so we're a little stumped, but we'll give it a shot.
  • edited June 2010
    I wonder if it's somehow computer related or something, because like I earlier said I didn't have any problems. Missing items and such could be graphics card related i. e. game has problems with some graphics cards and settings.

No, it's not computer related. Making an adventure game requires setting parameters and making something happen when the relevant parameters have the expected values. It's about coding. Devil's Playhouse have a lot of different parameters and those parameters have different combinations, and leaving one possibility may result in such bugs. Some may break the game, and some may make the game easier. Telltale employees are not gods, they can forget a parameter's relationship with another parameter and leave such a bug open, so it's expected to have one or two bugs laying around in such a detailed game. This season has a lot more detailed coding than the previous seasons.

BUT, Telltale games should track down the forums, read those complaints and fix these issues too. At least games are distributed online, so they have the chance to update the game any time. So, yeah, they should!
  • edited June 2010
    I just fixed the looping fight in Episode 3. The problem is the processor cores; open the game, then use Task Manager to set the game's affinity to use 1 core instead of multiple.
  • edited June 2010
    I've run into a bug. It's a bad animation in 303.
    When you ruin the tapestry by shooting Sammunmak Max as the Hindenburg Sam holds his gun down and sideways.
  • edited June 2010
    I've run into a bug. It's a bad animation in 303.
    When you ruin the tapestry by shooting Sammunmak Max as the Hindenburg Sam holds his gun down and sideways.

Yes, I got that too. Was kind of a letdown as they didn't make Sam shoot right, as it was one of the things he did best in previous seasons.
  • edited June 2010
    Actually got that all the time Sam pointed his gun (during Act II), also at the Space Gorilla.
  • edited June 2010
    I came across a bug that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Though it's nothing game-breaking, it is a bit weird. After
    the Mole Woman (forgot her name) is sent to the Pit of Contrition for S'kun-kape to fight, I went back through the sewer in front of Stinky's to see if the moles were still down there. They weren't, but when I clicked on the skeletons of Sameth and Maximus, the scene played out normally, with Sam saying they should bury the skeletons properly. Then the camera shows an empty floor, and moles who aren't there say they'll take care of that.
    I hope I explained that clearly enough.
    Like I said, nothing game breaking, but still odd.
  • edited June 2010
    Didero wrote: »
    I came across a bug that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Though it's nothing game-breaking, it is a bit weird. After
    the Mole Woman (forgot her name) is sent to the Pit of Contrition for S'kun-kape to fight, I went back through the sewer in front of Stinky's to see if the moles were still down there. They weren't, but when I clicked on the skeletons of Sameth and Maximus, the scene played out normally, with Sam saying they should bury the skeletons properly. Then the camera shows an empty floor, and moles who aren't there say they'll take care of that.
    I hope I explained that clearly enough.
    Like I said, nothing game breaking, but still odd.

By the way,
    the Mole Woman's
    name is never directly stated, but if you read your case notebook once you see her in this episode,
    it says that she once loved a vampire.
    So thus, it is blatantly hinted at that she is
    Nefretitti
  • edited June 2010
    Power46 wrote: »
    By the way,
    the Mole Woman's
    name is never directly stated, but if you read your case notebook once you see her in this episode,
    it says that she once loved a vampire.
    So thus, it is blatantly hinted at that she is
    Nefretitti

Did you really need to read the notebook to notice that? I noticed it the second she walked in!
  • edited June 2010
    Neelo wrote: »
    Did you really need to read the notebook to notice that? I noticed it the second she walked in!

Yeah, I noticed it the moment she walked in too, the notebook simply confirms those beliefs.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.