Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse: They Stole Max's Brain! Discussion!

JakeJake Telltale Alumni
edited July 2010 in Sam & Max
303-comegetit.jpg

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse
They Stole Max's Brain!

It's here! Download it from the Sam & Max site, or your games page.

Trailer!
Watch the They Stole Max's Brain trailer on Telltale's YouTube channel!

Reviews and stuff
Reviews are starting to appear! Beware of :spoil-o: :spoil-o: :spoil-o:!
Is it out yet? When will it be released?
It's out!

How about a "Did You Try?" list?
Here's the "Did You Try" thread!

Where can I see art from the game?
The season-wide trailer and stuff is on the official site. You may also want to take a look at the Telltale blog, which includes this episode's trailer and some screenshots!

What is the official marketing spiel for this game? I am dying to know and love marketing text!!!
"You wouldn't want to see freelance shamus Sam when he's steaming mad. Someone's snatched his little buddy's noodle, gunning for control of its bizarre psychic powers. Now Sam's rolling up his sleeves, smacking heads, and throwing slugs -- whatever it takes to get back what's rightfully Max's!
But who's behind this egregious theft? The giant space gorilla? The suspicious-looking cockroach? Or maybe the fishy dame that runs the local greasy spoon? And who -- or what -- is a Yog Soggoth?
Find out in "They Stole Max's Brain," the third episode of Sam & Max: The Devil’s Playhouse!"

So we're at the midpoint! When you guys complete this episode you'll be over half way done. Let's hear it ... What do you think? Let's talk about games!

Comments

• edited June 2010
    YAY! Downloading NOW!
    :)
  • edited June 2010
    Just played for the first minutes (till first available save) and it's just GREAT!! THAT's noir atmosphere mixed with great Sam and Max humour....I was lying on the floor when Sam accuses someone to lie who is obviously not. Until now greatest episode ever - hope it stays this good till the end!
  • edited June 2010
    Looks fun, waiting for a Steam version to arise.

Oh wait, there it is!
  • edited June 2010
    Post any thoughts in here as you play through the episode!
    Just starting it up myself...

Beggining: LOL based on the novel by Jane Austen

Now been told by moleman that it was
    a space ape who took Max's brain. Sam assumes its Skunkape and heads out in search of clues.

Now followed trail from space ape to frankie the rat to foreign guy

Now the other gorilla has
    confessed and says that a fight was going on between Skunkape and a strangely garbed man (PAPERWAITE????)

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!
    IT IS PAPERWAITE AND SKUNKAPE - they are fighting in the planetarium over Max's brain and the devil's toybox but agree to form ana alliance when Sam arrives. also, both stinkies will be in the episode as they are in the suspects list
  • edited June 2010
    It was great as usual. Looking forward to next month's episode!
  • edited June 2010
    Oh, I didn't get the usual email.

Anyway, downloading...

Thanks TT! The fun week of the month begins! XD
  • edited June 2010
    Just taking a break when at the museum.
    Initial response: Almost got me scared the whole game was only going to be chat based and nothing else, without any save points.
    But luckily there seems to be more (currently at the museum entrance and managed to make my first save)
  • edited June 2010
    GUYS
    Paperwaite and Skunkape are both back as are the Stinkies!
  • edited June 2010
    Superb episode. I loved it. Review (for Mixnmojo) should be up soonish, aka once this bloody email of mine decides it wants to stop being a prissy and lets me access my inbox (which is where I sent the review). Or I finish re-writing the whole review. Whatever comes first.
  • edited June 2010
    hey im in the US and my ps3 isnt showing it yet what time r they going to send it out to us does anyone know?
  • edited June 2010
    It should be today, but I'm not sure what time.
  • edited June 2010
    thanks ill check in a few hours :-C lol
  • edited June 2010
    This has been the worst release of my life.

7:00 - Release
    7:00 - I start downloading
    7:01 - I post on the forum
    7:01 - I start telling friends
    7:02 - Power goes out.

8:15 - Power's pack
    8:20 - Computer's on and I start downloading S&M
    8:35 - Finally starting it
    8:40-10:20 (now) - S&M keeps freezing my entire computer.

I didn't even reach the first save.

AND I HAVE NO ONE TO BLAME!!!!

I swear, I know EXACTLY how Sam feels!
  • edited June 2010
    apologies if this is later in the episode but
    DOCTOR NORRINGTON IS THE NARRATOR, RIGHT?!?

Oh and also after a certain point in the episode, I really LOVE the way this is turning!!! Sam's character is so AWESOME in this episode.
  • edited June 2010
    It has to be said: Sal is a pretty cool guy.

Spent an hour, going to finish it after I wake up and had breakfast.
  • edited June 2010
    Mixnmojo's review. Sorry for how long it is. I tried to analyze it as much as possible, so there's spoilers.
  • edited June 2010
    that. was. awesome.

It's always who you least suspect, eh?

I mean
    I expected Skunkape to steal Max's brain, but I didnt expect Sammun-mak to be the villian of the montj

That said, You've outdone yourself. And I encountered no Glitches.
    so now that the office penal zone has been shut down is there a chance of the office in episode 5? I mean, prolly not since it all seems to take place in the course of a couple days, but I'd still like to see it
  • edited June 2010
    You finished it already?

Mind blown.
  • edited June 2010
    This episode is absolutely AMAZING! I love it, Telltale! Everyone said how good the previous two were - this blows them away in all aspects!
  • edited June 2010
    Kroms wrote: »
    You finished it already?

Mind blown.

I kinda did a speed run this time, I was more trying to get it done then check out the other stuff
  • edited June 2010
    Just a heads up: the Cultural Zest review URL needs fixing!
  • edited June 2010
    Loving this episode.
    The rhinoplasty puzzles were awesome!

The villian mix sure was interesting
  • edited June 2010
    I did manage to find one trivial bug, in act three, after max had made creditcards bad fashion, I could still talk to creditcard max on the ground outside of the office, even when he clearly was visible
    in the brain jar on Sam's back
    . To clarify: I was not morphed at that point.

Oh, and you can't exit to the menu in act 1, it was nothing but cutscenes, talk menus and the city map, all of which are ineligible for the menu.
  • edited June 2010
    You can quit on the talk menu.
  • edited June 2010
    I absolutely loved this episode in every way. I did get stuck at one portion in the middle, but that's because I didn't realize that a certain key item was selectable. Once I did, everything fell perfectly into place like a working Rube Goldberg machine. Noir Sam had to be the greatest moment of the game so far, especially all of the 'noir' dialogue options. That entire intro was fantastic, down to the neon signs like
    The S&M Club
    . The entire beginning through the museum would have been enough, but I wasn't expecting the second part at all. And that ending... that
    final showdown with Skun-ka'pe
    was brilliant.
  • edited June 2010
    My favorite neon sign said
    Neon Sign
  • edited June 2010
    is there anyone in the us who is playin this game yet im been waiting around for a while now but i have not got it yet :(
  • edited June 2010
    Oooh, a "Day of the Tentacle" reference, a mention of leather jackets, AND in one scene Sam did the same "happy dance" as Guybrush Threepwood. I'm loving these in-jokes.
  • edited June 2010
    Da D Man wrote: »
    is there anyone in the us who is playin this game yet im been waiting around for a while now but i have not got it yet :(

I thought ps users had to wait til wednesday in thier timezone as that is the ps network update day?
  • edited June 2010
    Emo Hoe wrote: »
    I thought ps users had to wait til wednesday in thier timezone as that is the ps network update day?

Not in the US. In the US, PSN updates on Tuesdays. What time of the day does PSN update in the US? If that time has not passed, don't worry; otherwise, I have to wonder what happened.
  • edited June 2010
    Another wonderful installment. Seriously, Telltale, I can't thank you enough for resurrecting adventure gaming. Best Sam and Max yet.
  • edited June 2010
    The entire beginning through the museum would have been enough, but I wasn't expecting the second part at all. And that ending... that
    final showdown with Skun-ka'pe
    was brilliant.

I agree, i really thought that the game was over after the museum. But the last part made the game feel more complete. Nice episode, although i saw 2 minor problems. One was already postet (morphed max duplicate in front of the office), the other one was a wrong(?) subtitle line when talking to the rats.

Can't remember the exact text right now, but it was either the kneel or salute text.
  • edited June 2010
    Frankie said: Freakin' Freelance Police while the subtitles said Freelance Freakin' Police. I think.

I was so proud of me I could play the game without subtitles until I stoped with Majus, I mean, the european turist. That was too much for me.

And I loved that thing of a part for Sam and another for, well, Max. I simply loved the episode ^^!
  • edited June 2010
    Did anyone else think that Sal sounded slightly like Patrick Warburton (Brock Samson, Kronk) with a hint of Jon Benjamin (Coach McGuirk)?
  • edited June 2010
    Just finished it, absolutely loved it.
    I was worried about future vision popping back up, but I'm glad it didn't feature so prominently in this episode. And it was awesome that
    it was actually Max who saved the day this time
    And also really, really good puzzles involving the
    rhinoplasty
    power.
    Keep them coming, I'm really curious as to how this is going to turn out. The ending confused the hell out of me :confused:
  • edited June 2010
    apparently the subtitle writers got smart durring the
    Sammun-Mak world

make sure to use Salute with everyone with subtitles on
  • edited June 2010
    I seriously think Sammun-Mak is actually a girl.

Not even most young boys sound that feminine.

It's kind of weirding me out.
  • edited June 2010
    I seriously think Sammun-Mak is actually a girl.

Not even most young boys sound that feminine.

It's kind of weirding me out.

Well, I guess Nikki Rapp can't sound boyish than that. I still think she did a good job.

Great episode by the way. Sal's the man! I've never thought I'd like a cockroach.

I encountered one or two glitches, but those were not "killing" ones, unlike the one in the second episode. Both are encountered on the second half of the game,
    and near the office. In first one, after transforming into a cloud and turning back, even if the brain was in the jar the transformed cloud was there, half-stuck in sideways. Clicking on it was giving the usual responses. Second happened after having Grandpa Stinky exiled. Even after he's gone he was there, but he was making that 'during production' pose where one's arms are making 180 degrees angle to each other and such.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.