Sam + Max Situation: Comedy - Crash after Credits! (Access Violation error)

edited April 2007 in Game Support
Hello,

I have waited patiently for the release of the new Episode. What a surprise: I downloaded, launched, looked at the credits and listened to the music...after displaying the game title there was a window saying "Acces violation at 0xA0113F78 (tried to read from 0xA0113F78), Program terminated" - That's it!

I have a SB Live Sound Card and a Geforce 6800GT - AMD CPU. No problems with Episode 1 (just installed it again to test). What can I do?

BTW: I have already tried to delete the prop file - still the same. :(

Comments

• edited January 2007
    Same problem here. Quite frustrating after six hours of waiting for that damn e-mail with the download link to arrive...
  • edited January 2007
    Exactly the same error here! Damn, waited all day to play this
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    Is this before seeing Sam & Max in the office, or after the opening cutscene?
  • edited January 2007
    For me it crashes a few seconds after the opening cutscene, while in the office
  • edited January 2007
    In my case, it's right after the intro, when the words "Situation: Comedy" appear on the screen. I've not seen any opening cutscene yet :-(.
    edited January 2007
    Welshy: Sounds like it's crashing when saving the game. If you don't have the latest video drivers, please try updating them.

Kettenbach2: I'm still looking into that part of the game...
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks for such a quick reply =)

Unfortunately i've downloaded my latest drivers and its still crashing, the game loads up and im actually able to play it for about 1-3 minutes each time before it crashes. I tried saving when i get the chance and it doesnt seem to be causing the problem.

Edit: I get exactly the same error message as above, and episode 1 worked perfectly on this machine
  • edited January 2007
    For me it crashes right while displaying "Situation: Comedy" with a black screen as background.

I just tested again: I start Sam + Max using the Launch button in the Window and then I can press Space to Skip Intro - that's exactly the moment the error message appears. I have newest NVidia Driver and also tried to disable all my audio codecs. :(
    edited January 2007
    Please try running in a window (Alt+ENTER) and turning the graphics quality down.
  • edited January 2007
    Kevin wrote: »
    Please try running in a window (Alt+ENTER) and turning the graphics quality down.

Still crashing for me im afraid, i've also tried right clicking on the .exe and changing the compatibility options but still nothing.

I feel like a right pest now :confused:
  • edited January 2007
    Same thing here. Changing the compatibility options didn't help and I can't turn down the graphics quality because the game crashes before I get access to the menu that lets me do that.
    edited January 2007
    If you haven't already, please try deleting your 'prefs.prop' file in your install directory and trying again.
  • edited January 2007
    Nope, didn't work. :-(
  • edited January 2007
    Didnt work for me either, sorry
    also tried rolling back to older drivers as well as new ones

"Error Access violation at 0x006EOFEB (tried to write to 0x00000000) program terminated"
  • edited January 2007
    Still no success - Window, deleteing prop file, turning off Audio codecs - game crashes after Credits.
  • edited January 2007
    having the same problem here. episode 1 ran fine also.
    machine is AMD Athlon XP, Geforce 6800 (latest drivers), 512MB Ram, XP SP2 incase any of that is helpful!

crashes with that error every 3-5 minutes, so we can play a bit - but then have to start up again. it seems to be at a different point each time when it crashes out.

:)
  • edited January 2007
    Hey - that's interesting. At least two people with a GeForce 6800 (newest drivers) and an AMD CPU. Maybe here's the problem?
  • edited January 2007
    Now I reinstalled older NVidia drivers and still no success. It is 4:43am here in Germany and no Sam + Max today - so sad :(
  • edited January 2007
    Yup same problem here.

Game crashes after the black screen saying 'situation: comedy'.

Tried it in a window and deleted prefs.prop.

Still crashes. :/

Episode 1 ran without any problems.

screenshot of the error message: http://www.pwnage.dk/samandmax.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Do you all have AMD machines?
  • edited January 2007
    nope, pentium 4 1,8 ghz here
  • edited January 2007
    AMD 2800+, GeForce 6800GT, 1GB RAM. WinXP Sp1, SB Live.
  • edited January 2007
    Still no solution?
  • edited January 2007
    Yo! Another "acces violation" victim... For me; I was able to play the game, but just a little. It ran rather slow, so I shut down my computer for a while and tried again. Then, I got the same message. I haven't been able to play the game since...

I'm crying right now...:(
  • edited January 2007
    Update:

I reinstalled the game, and I was able to play it. Yet, when I quit and try to load a saved game the game crashes again. I suppose there's something wrong with the savegames; there are more threads on this forum that have problems with savegames.

I haven't read any recent reply of any telltale employer; are you guys still working on it? PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAASE!
  • edited January 2007
    Got the same problem here. It crashes when "Situation: Comedy" is on the screen. I got a Athlon2400XP and a GeForce6600.
    Hope you fix it soon...
  • edited January 2007
    i've got the same problem. game runs fine the first time i start it after installation. when i try to launch it again it shows me the access violation too.
    hardware: athlon venice 3000+, geforce 6800....:mad: :mad: :mad:
  • edited January 2007
    It might have something to do with the "prefs.prop" file. I tried to use the one that was created by "Culture Shock" and the game crashed right away with that same "access violation" error. It wouldn't even start the intro.

My Hardware: Athlon 64 3200+ , GeForce 7800 GS (w/ latest forceware drivers)
  • edited January 2007
    It might have something to do with the "prefs.prop" file. I tried to use the one that was created by "Culture Shock" and the game crashed right away with that same "access violation" error. It wouldn't even start the intro.

My Hardware: Athlon 64 3200+ , GeForce 7800 GS (w/ latest forceware drivers)

Tried the same and it did the same - is here anybody who hasn't a GeForce and has the same problems? It seems that all users in this thread are heaving a GeForce Card.

Is Telltale still working on it?
  • edited January 2007
    Drezic wrote: »
    Update:

I reinstalled the game, and I was able to play it. Yet, when I quit and try to load a saved game the game crashes again. I suppose there's something wrong with the savegames; there are more threads on this forum that have problems with savegames.

I haven't read any recent reply of any telltale employer; are you guys still working on it? PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAASE!

I must have reinstalled the game a dozent times - no success - yet! :(
  • edited January 2007
    C'mon! There's got to be a solution! I want to play the game!!

Kevin? Have you found out anything yet?
  • edited January 2007
    Everyone here seems to have a GeForce - I am quite sure that here is the problem.

Now I uninstalled my Antivirus Program and my Firewall - No success - Damn! :(
    edited January 2007
    I'm going to find a GeForce 6800 or better and look into it some more...
  • edited January 2007
    Same problem here. And now I also get an error when I try to download the install file from your website again (I tried uninstalling), so im stuck.

I have a Geforce card as well by the way, a 6200.
  • edited January 2007
    i got a geforce 4 ti 4200 and a pentium 4 1,8 ghz as stated above.
  • edited January 2007
    Just for the record (regarding the Geforce idea), the game played nicely and crash free on my Geforce 6600GT.
  • edited January 2007
    I just tried the demo version - CRASH!

I am so unhaaaapppyyyyy :(
  • edited January 2007
    I've got a geforce as well; Geforce3 ti 200.

Not a very new one but I had no real problems running the last episode.

By the way, I appreciate your help Kevin, and, moreover, I appreciate your post to say that you are actually working on it. I'm trying to send you the best possible mental energy as hard as I can. I hope that works. If not, have some more coffee.

GO KEVIN!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited January 2007
    Reinstalled DirectX 9.0 c - no success.
  • edited January 2007
    Dont suppose any1's got an idea what's causing this problem :(
This discussion has been closed.