Sam + Max Situation: Comedy - Crash after Credits! (Access Violation error)

Comments

• edited January 2007
    For me the crash occurs if I have quit the game after playing it for the first time after an install, i.e I could probably play through the entire episode if I never quit the game. If I do however, it crashes when I load or start a new game from the menu.
    But the first time it works perfectly fine, so it probably has nothing to do with drivers.
  • edited January 2007
    I've read in another post that the game was delayed a few hours cause Telltale discovered some bug and had to backtrack and fix it.
    Might this have caused more problems?:confused:
  • edited January 2007
    abdallah wrote: »
    For me the crash occurs if I have quit the game after playing it for the first time after an install, i.e I could probably play through the entire episode if I never quit the game. If I do however, it crashes when I load or start a new game from the menu.
    But the first time it works perfectly fine, so it probably has nothing to do with drivers.

Yes, that's exactly what happened to me, as I tried to describe the situation before. I expect it's either a Geforce thing or a savegame thing...
  • edited January 2007
    So - I haven't slept this night because I was reinstalling my windows from scratch! Guess what - Sam + Max 2 still crashes - I've only installed directx 9.0 c and newest GeForce Drivers. The problem is definately the program itself! Guess I have to wait till they made a patch :(
  • edited January 2007
    MarkoH01 wrote: »
    So - I haven't slept this night because I was reinstalling my windows from scratch! Guess what - Sam + Max 2 still crashes - I've only installed directx 9.0 c and newest GeForce Drivers. The problem is definately the program itself! Guess I have to wait till they made a patch :(

I read a thread on this forum about somebody having the same kind of problem with episode one. Only, he was the only one then. One of the telltale employers suggested a refund in case the wouldn't run. This made me kind of angry:mad:; I do not hope they are going to suggest a refund here; I did not wait for this game for so many years just to hear somebody suggest a refund now, did I? :confused:

Please, there has got to be some way to fix this bug? :(
  • edited January 2007
    Drezic wrote: »
    I read a thread on this forum about somebody having the same kind of problem with episode one. Only, he was the only one then. One of the telltale employers suggested a refund in case the wouldn't run. This made me kind of angry:mad:; I do not hope they are going to suggest a refund here; I did not wait for this game for so many years just to hear somebody suggest a refund now, did I? :confused:

Please, there has got to be some way to fix this bug? :(

I wouldnt worry about it, this time a lot of people seem to have this problem. Emily told me in an email theyre focusing on the bad link problem now, which makes sense since more people will get to download the game that way, and that theyll take care of this afterwards.
    Heres the quote from the email:
    Yeah, keep an eye on the forum for more info about the save. I know
    Kevin's going to work on it but he's busy with this activation issue
    right now, too.
  • edited January 2007
    Hi!

I guess I'll join the club, same problem.
    It just seems to crash very early compared to others: right after I click on "Lauch Game".
    Some more details here.

I also have a GeForce (5200) and Culture Shock worked fine.
    BTW, just wondering: does anyone else here use win 2000?

Bye,

Kan
  • edited January 2007
    I wouldnt worry about it, this time a lot of people seem to have this problem. Emily told me in an email theyre focusing on the bad link problem now, which makes sense since more people will get to download the game that way, and that theyll take care of this afterwards.

Why are they focusing on a bad link when the game you can download doesn't run correctly? I think it is more important to fix that and THAN fix the link - so you can download a good copy of the game. I wasted my weekend by reinstalling all drivers and windows and all I could see is the pre Intro sequence. But very well - I guess all we can do now is to wait!
  • edited January 2007
    Same Problem here. Crash right at the title screen after the credits

AMD CPU and Geforce 6800.
    German Windows XP Pro version

I already tried
    - reinstall
    - new download and installation
    - newest drivers
    - reinstalled newest directX

nothing helped.

Please find a solution fast.
  • edited January 2007
    I have the same problem after starting up the game, i don't even get to the credits. I have an amd and Geforce... Never had any problems with the first episode. I have 512 megs of ram. here is my error message

Error: Access violation at 0x0074FFFF (tried to read from 0x00000000), program terminated.

I reinstalled windows Xp a couple of days ago and have all the latest drivers. Any insights?:(
  • edited January 2007
    MarkoH01 wrote: »
    Why are they focusing on a bad link when the game you can download doesn't run correctly? I think it is more important to fix that and THAN fix the link - so you can download a good copy of the game. I wasted my weekend by reinstalling all drivers and windows and all I could see is the pre Intro sequence. But very well - I guess all we can do now is to wait!

Because life is unfair ;)
  • edited January 2007
    *I am also experiencing this problem, although it sounds like there are enough people having it that adding my voice won't make a solution available any sooner.

*For the sake of interest, I am using an Athlon 3800x2 and an nVidia 7600GT. I'm running Windows 2003, and while that may not be supported, it sounds like it might not make much difference at this point. The last episode ran almost perfectly on two Intel machines with ATI video (One P4, one Core Duo). This time around, I haven't been able to launch the game at all, let alone experiencing the benefits of seeing credits or corrupted savegames.

*The exact error message I'm receiving is basically the same as everyone else: "Error: Access violation at 0x0084FFFF (tried to read from 0x00000001), program terminated".

*I don't recall getting an option to choose my username, so I hope my email address hasn't been thrust upon me as one.
  • edited January 2007

Well, that calmes me down a bit, for now at least . Thanks for sharing :)
  • edited January 2007
    Hi Kevin,

any news? It seems there are a lot people who are experiencing the same problem. Can you tell us something new to calm us down? Will there be a patch?
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    Still looking into it as we speak...
  • edited January 2007
    I have solved it! At least for me - I installed Service Pack 2 and now it seems to function. Since you should not be forced to install a new SP to get the game running I still recommend a patch.

AMD 2800+, Win XP SP1, Gefoce 6800GT newest drivers, SB Live -> Crash after Credits

AMD 2800+, Win XP SP2, Gefoce 6800GT newest drivers, SB Live -> starts without problems.
    edited January 2007
    Sweet!

I was going to ask one of the more adventurous GeForce users to try the "Omega" drivers, found here: http://www.omegadrivers.net/nvidia.php

Any takers?
  • edited January 2007
    I might as well try those drivers, i already have service pack 2 and the games crashes like a sightless rally driver.

I'll get back to you when i've installed them
  • edited January 2007
    Hi!

I just tried it - didn't work for me.
    Nothing changed still crashed at the same point...

Kan
  • edited January 2007
    Fortunately it worked for me :D went a straight 15 minutes without a crash in sight, huzzah's all around!!!

Thanks Kevin
  • edited January 2007
    Ill try it out when I get home..
  • edited January 2007
    ...oh wait, nevermind. Its crashing again! :eek:

but at least i had long enough so i could complete it, :D side splitting stuff
  • edited January 2007
    Ive used Omega drivers before with my old graphics card but my computer crashes when it reaches 100% of the installation now. I tried installing them three times with the same result, and have consequently given up on installing them. I have no idea if they would solve the crash for me, but hearing the others I doubt it.
  • edited January 2007
    I have a Pentium 4 with a Geforce 6800 card and windows SP1
    I get the error message "Acces violation at 0x00592080" even before the game gets to launch...
  • edited January 2007
    Kevin wrote: »
    Sweet!

I was going to ask one of the more adventurous GeForce users to try the "Omega" drivers, found here: http://www.omegadrivers.net/nvidia.php

Any takers?

I tried it and I was able to load a savegame. Alas, the game only run for about 5 seconds. When I try to move Sam the game not only crashes my entire system becomes unstable.

Still, a tiny little progress was made... Not enough yet, though.
  • edited January 2007
    mojo wrote: »
    I have a Pentium 4 with a Geforce 6800 card and windows SP1
    I get the error message "Acces violation at 0x00592080" even before the game gets to launch...

As told before - after installing SP2 (you can uninstall it afterwards if you don't like it) I was able to complete the game (Geforce 6800GT). I was not able to even start the game using SP1.
  • edited January 2007
    Installed in on my parents PC with Athlon/GeForce/WinXP SP2 -> worked
    Installed in on my girlfriends PC with Pentium/GeForce/WinXP SP2 -> worked
    Installed now SP2 on my PC -> it works! finally!
  • edited January 2007
    Have SP 2 on my PC an does not work.

Same error all the time.
  • edited January 2007
    memento wrote: »
    Have SP 2 on my PC an does not work.

same.
    obviously doesn't fix it for everyone!
    i think probably all that can fix it for most of us is a patch on the game itself.
  • edited January 2007
    And I hope this patch will come soon.
    It is now one week ago the first people posted this crash here and there is no real solution in sight. Taking into account that episode 1 worked without such problems it should not be too difficult to fix this bug. The fact that this is a "can't even start playing" bug should make it top priority.

But right now I don't see much happening here and I am becoming increasingly impatient
  • edited January 2007
    memento wrote: »
    But right now I don't see much happening here and I am becoming increasingly impatient

Be patient. Yes, it is disappointing having to wait. But i'm sure they're working as hard as they can to get all these problems located and fixed! :)
  • edited January 2007
    Hi all,
    I am also having the 1-3 min play then crash problem. I have an Athlon XP2600+ and an Nvidia GeForce 6600.

After reading through the thread I am going to try something. Some one mentioned SP2. Back with NT if there was a serious Microsoft patch it some times messed up some of the system files. The solution at that time was to re-run the most recent SP. And considering that there have been some doosies of updates lately I figured I would give it a try and let you all know what I find out.
  • edited January 2007
    Ok, after that lovely 270 meg download I have come to the following:

After making sure that I updated the Nvidia drivers and the SP2 I can sort of play the game. To a point. Sometimes while in the office if I clicked on the door to leave I would get instant crash. Also any time I pulled an item out ex. Sam gun or gas gun, the game would crash immediately. I hope this helps someone out a little bit more.
  • edited January 2007
    A full week has passed since this game has been released.
    I´m used to PC games not working properly right after release but this is really really bad.
    So these guys are telling us that they´re "still looking into the problem"? Wow now I´m relieved.... it IS their job to do that, right? They don´t have to tell us all over again. Instead they better come up with a solution because I feel like that money I´ve spent on Season 1 was definitely wasted.
  • edited January 2007
    I just downloaded and installed the game, and it crashes right after the opening credits with the message already posted above, too. :(

My system:
    Athlon 3700+
    GeForce 6800
  • edited January 2007
    Jackson wrote: »
    A full week has passed since this game has been released.
    I´m used to PC games not working properly right after release but this is really really bad.
    So these guys are telling us that they´re "still looking into the problem"? Wow now I´m relieved.... it IS their job to do that, right? They don´t have to tell us all over again. Instead they better come up with a solution because I feel like that money I´ve spent on Season 1 was definitely wasted.

I'm getting a little tired about this situation too. I paid for this game and I am not able to play it... And there seems to be no solution in sight! Added to this, this Kevin guy who pretends to be a telltale technician asks us to try out some driver. I try it, it f***s up my system, I post a reply that it doesn't work, just as some others with the same problem, and he doesn't even get back to us about it!

I am running out of patience...
    edited January 2007
    Drezic,

Sorry you still have problems. Are you running SP2? It seems that most people who are having problems with GeForce cards have fixed it by installing SP2.

Besides being a "guy who pretends to be a telltale technician" I also happen to be the co-founder and co-owner of the company, so I really do want to see your problem solved! Please PM me with all your system specs.

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • edited January 2007
    Win2K SP4 AMD Athlon 64 GeForce 6600
    No problems (absolutely no problems) with episode 1.

Download Episode 2 OK. Install OK. Play game for a few hours OK. Save. Bed. Start game again the following day: Load Game -> "Access violation"

If I delete the .save files than the game seems to run normally. I'll now have to wait for an open-end weekend to try to do it all in one fell swoop (I like this expression). Would be nice to be able to save and load though.

I too have been chatting with 'Kevin' over the past week (no relation).
    - Hello Kevin.

Kevin from germany.
  • edited January 2007
    Hey Kevin.De im in the same situation as you are as you can see from my previous posts, i updated the new drivers that Kevin posted and the game ran perfectly fine...untill i restarted my machine and then it was crashing again. very strange indeed.
  • edited January 2007
    Kevin wrote: »
    Sorry you still have problems. Are you running SP2? It seems that most people who are having problems with GeForce cards have fixed it by installing SP2.

I think its a little exaggerated to speak of "most people" here. There are still a lot of users (like me) who can't use the product they paid for, although they tried all the supposed workarounds. Your "problem solved, runs for most people now" attitude makes me really angry.

This is a worst case bug! Not some little texture flickering bug, its even worse than a plot stopper. Can't play at all! :mad:

I expect a patch as soon as possible and informations what Telltale is doing about it right now.
This discussion has been closed.