Game-Style?

13»

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Amy Lukima wrote: »
    But not with dinosaur meat.

Stego tenderloin, anyone?
  • edited October 2010
    I think you guys should make clear that this isn't going to be a "point and click" type of game, because practically everyone on the net seems to think so. And I'm kinda sick of reading "Nooooooo!".

Just thought it may say that...
  • edited October 2010
    ^
    Huh?
    No point and click? Then what will it be?
  • edited October 2010
    We don't know, but indications are it will still be an adventure game, but with more stealth and action than is usual in such games.

Also Telltale haven't used a traditional 'point and click' interface in their adventure games for quite a while.
  • edited October 2010
    Guys adventure games aren't necessarily point and click. That's just a sect of adventure games.
  • edited October 2010
    I will be OUTRAGED if this game isn't a text parser interface!
  • edited October 2010
    I hope it includes survival elements. Like, a puzzle where you have to find the items to bar down your door.
  • edited October 2010
    I would be surprised if it didn't.
  • edited October 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    I hope it includes survival elements. Like, a puzzle where you have to find the items to bar down your door.

And after going through all the logical objects available that you usually use to achieve this, a 2x4 for example, you find out that the only solution to this is a broken 9-iron welded together with a bicycle frame. Or something else you'd never think of... :D
  • edited October 2010
    I would love a game that has a similar style like an old Resident Evil game except maybe in first person. I want a survival based game where I do not have hundreds of rounds of ammunition., but a game where I have only a few rounds where I have to use them WISELY. Maybe I'll find Muldoons shotgun with a few shotgun shells, or a flare gun, or an M16 with a few rounds etc.

I think this game should NOT be action nonstop like left 4 dead or resident evil 5...but have lush green jungles and dark corridors and dark buildings with plant overgrowth all around you and the occasional raptor/t-rex encounter.... and your basic tool would be a flashlight, or lighter. A good example for a game would be Dead Space, but less of a shoot 'em up.

I want a game that involves puzzles and problem solving when it comes to getting away from dinosaurs, maybe blocking a door so a raptor cannot get in. find ways to trap or block dinosaurs from getting after you. For example, like in the first movie when they needed to turn the power and control back on in the park for the doors etc to lock.... maybe have certain buildings where you have to turn power on by hacking into computers or simple switches.

Using things in the environment to kill dinosaurs would be more satisfying and difficult as well than just emptying shots into a dinosaur... a good physics engine similar to Half life 2 is a great example of what Im thinking of.

I was on a mod team for a game, so I know how annoying it is when people create expectations and assume how awesome a game is going to be... but, I cant help to be afraid of this game being a disapointment because I have been an extreme fan of the Jurassic Park trilogy for almost 20 years. (I could probably repeat each line from the first movie! haha!) Almost every game besides the NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis versions of Jurassic Park have been an extreme letdown.

theres my completely opinionated thoughts. but, Im sure some fans would agree with me.
  • edited November 2010
    It's just gonna be a point 'n' click graphic adventure, innit?
  • edited November 2010
    Eff One wrote: »
    It's just gonna be a point 'n' click graphic adventure, innit?

No.
  • edited November 2010
    No.

Wait, what?
  • edited November 2010
    No.

My world, has just been rocked.
  • edited November 2010
    No.

That is possibly the most significant 2 letter post in forum history.
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    It can still turn out to be a point and click, just not one we're used to. =)
    I am 100% sure it will at least contain elements of point and click games.
    It will definitely contain some form of puzzles.
    It's TellTale's best practice. It would be too risky to go uncharted territories for the first time with a big licence.

Anyway,

BttF pre-orderers had a chat with AJ Locascio, who is the voice of Marty, in the exclusive BttF board.
    He had something interesting to say regarding the JP project.

Someone asked him whether he would buy the Jurassic Park game.
    He replied with:
    YES !!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Jurassic park like a fat kid loves cake ! I got to see some stuff yesterday at Telltale and me and my roommate had to restrain ourselves from drooling
  • edited November 2010
    AAAH! The excitment, dammit!

Edit: And a suggestion: How about a limited time to select your answer? Kinda like in Farenheit/Indigo Prophecy. It would add a lot to the tension.
  • bubbledncrbubbledncr Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »

Edit: And a suggestion: How about a limited time to select your answer? Kinda like in Farenheit/Indigo Prophecy. It would add a lot to the tension.

*jeopardy music*
  • edited November 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »

"Do you want to run from the raptors? 2 seconds to decide remain."
  • edited November 2010
    I dunno...I'd like a Jurassic Park game where I play as the dinos and eat all the humans. lol

Seriously, if they approach this game with the same fan's fervor that they're approaching the BTTF game, I'd call this one a winner as well. Of course, JP doesn't have the same stigma as BTTF when it comes to video games, ie. there have been some GOOD JP games. :P
  • edited December 2010
    I personally would not mind having the graphics with some hint of a animation style, meaning leaning somewhat in the direction of ToMI and BttF, but with more of a serius look to it and darker. To me that would work better then trying to make some ultra realistic enviroment and failing. Surly a "serius animation style" can be used, that doesn't try to hard to look realist, but not to cartoony neither. I didn't really like the graphics in CSI that much, and I hope JP goes in another direction.
  • edited December 2010
    Something I've been thinking with all the BTTF news...

In the IGN preview, they said that you get to reenact the famous first DeLorean scene from the first BTTF movie, and even you can alter it depending on what you choose to say.
    Now, what I think is this... Do you think something similar will be applied for the JP game? And if so, which scene/s would you like to re-enact?

The T-Rex scene from the first movie would be awesome to play. Just imagine... You could even fail at it and get eaten! That could even affect the rest of the game. The possibilities are endless.
  • edited December 2010
    I would love to play the Raptor in the Kitchen scene. Crawling behind counters and banging spoons on the ground to distract the raptors as Tim tries to get away. A very metal gear sneaking vibe. lol
  • edited December 2010
    I'd love a game like Tresspasser (my favorite JP game concept) except, well, complete.

I loved the single-person, alone on the island, attempting to get off plot of the game and it was creepy to explore the old infrastructure of Site B. There were puzzles along the way and the dinosaurs were quite scary (especially since they could, at random, launch into the air at high velocity due to bugs in the physics code). I still re-install it sometimes just to replay the worker's village and dock levels. And to relive what it was like to experience DirectX 6, when 800x600 was a high resolution for a PC game.
  • edited December 2010
    hm...from the way i see where Telltale is going, prolly the game will be click and solve puzzle/situations...and one stupid move, and dinosaurs will get you.

and since Telltale has "invented real time interaction" (aka, "picking the correct dialogues as you are walking/doing something")...imagine situations where a raptor is barging into the room and you have like seconds to figure out the puzzle or u... know...Dino FOOD!!

just my 2 cents.
  • edited December 2010
    well I'm very intrigued. From what I understand Jurassic park will introduce new gameplay additions, which is why it is taking longer? Didn't they start working on it before Back to the Future?
  • edited December 2010
    Think it will be another Point and Click game but with more stampede or chase parts of the game. Its a hard franchise to bring into adventure gaming since the genre calls for exploring and taking your time while figuring out puzzles. Dinosaurs aren't going to wait for you to find the loose button to stick in the hamster wheel to get the gate closed on them. The puzzles will probably get overshadowed by the action sequences.
  • edited December 2010
    The gameplay mechanics I consider the most appropriate for Jurassic park are stealthy hide and distract gameplay like in Penumbra Overture with the dogs, wich would perfectly suite to the kitchen scene for example, or the V-Rex encounters in King Kong, wich would work so good for the T-Rex-outbreak scene. When humans are involved, usual adventure or RPG interaction with dialogue trees or real-time cutscenes like in Half Life would do.

Me personally would prefer first person perspective for all that, but third person would work too. Maybe a mix depending on the situation.

I just really do hope it wont be just timed puzzles, QTEs or choosing reactions with cut-scene deaths, I would only accept that as sporadic moments to give diversity to the game!
  • edited December 2010
    From what I've heard it is going to use a completely different gaming style. Diffrent from any other game telltale has made yet. But i think Alan made that clear in his previous post. Though I was never into the movie and I'm skeptical o weather I should buy it or not, i'll have to see some footage first. Though hearing it's not going to be your average point and click em' up adventure game, I'm already intrigued!
  • edited January 2011
    I didn't want to make a new thread and felt that this was the best one to put it in. But i was thinking about the gameplay and something occured to me. Have you noticed that none of the sequels or video games ever took into account that the T-Rex could not see you if you didn't move? I mean, in the first movie Grant was able to keep the T-Rex away by standing still, throwing a flare, and moving away when the T-Rex ran after it.

Now lets look at all the games. You stand still, the T-Rex eats you. Wouldn't it be awesome if for the first time in a Jurassic Park video game you could actually use that for dealing with the T-Rex. Think about it. You have some flares in you invintory, you use one to distract the T-Rex to get away. And if he looks in your direction simply don't move and he won't attack you. I think that would actually make for a suspensefull situation.
  • edited January 2011
    I didn't want to make a new thread and felt that this was the best one to put it in. But i was thinking about the gameplay and something occured to me. Have you noticed that none of the sequels or video games ever took into account that the T-Rex could not see you if you didn't move? I mean, in the first movie Grant was able to keep the T-Rex away by standing still, throwing a flare, and moving away when the T-Rex ran after it.

Now lets look at all the games. You stand still, the T-Rex eats you. Wouldn't it be awesome if for the first time in a Jurassic Park video game you could actually use that for dealing with the T-Rex. Think about it. You have some flares in you invintory, you use one to distract the T-Rex to get away. And if he looks in your direction simply don't move and he won't attack you. I think that would actually make for a suspensefull situation.

That does sound like it'd make for an interesting and suspenseful action/puzzle sequence.
  • edited January 2011
    In "Fred & Jeff: A movie adventure", the characters went to the Jurassic Park film, and they avoid the T-Rex by standing still (not moving nor using any inventory items) for a while, until the dinosaur went out.

And Telltale already did something similar in Bone, when Bone has to flee from the rat creatures when they aren't looking, and stay still when they look at him.
  • edited January 2011
    Now that we know that it will have Quick Time events and Adventure puzzles, what do you think the gameplay will exactly be when encountering dinosaurs?

While I hope telltale doesnt overrate it with the cut-scenes und QTEs, maybe it will still have stealth or run passages played with direct controls like a third person game, only with given camera-angles and certain points where you can hide in or interact with objects, something like the first Dino Crisis with more dynamic camera angles.
    And when it comes to a certain point, like when the dinosaur comes near or you reach a specific point it switches to cut-scenes with multiple paths controlled be QTEs like in Heavy Rain.

I just hope there wont be ONLY Quick time events with slightly influenceable cut-scenes when dinosaurs are involved
  • edited January 2011
    They haven't actually specifically said they will have QTEs, just that the gameplay mechanic is influenced by Heavy Rain. I know it's a reasonable conclusion to draw, but maybe Telltale have taken the QTE concept and done something new with it?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.