How Fast Do You Eat?

Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
edited June 2007 in General Chat
Question for the week: How fast do you eat? In a group, are you always the first one finished? Always last? Do you guzzle a soda, or do you sip it?

Me, I'm the second slowest eater I know.

(This isn't completely arbitrary, I do have a reason for asking. Even if it isn't a particularly good reason.)

--Dave

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    I'm one of the slower people I know for food, but one of the quickest people I know for beverages.
  • edited January 2007
    Question for the week: How fast do you eat? In a group, are you always the first one finished?

Nope, that's usually my nan if she's here.

Always last?

Usually, yes.

Do you guzzle a soda, or do you sip it?

I wouldn't know, I don't drink sodas. I have a glass of smoothie for brekkie, then the rest of the day it's herbal tea, fruit juice, water or milk. Sodas contain not only sugar, but artificial flavourings, colourings and, if they don't contain sugar, they contain artificial sweetners. Some of these, such as aspertame, have been linked to brain tumours and some forms of cancer. According to the US FDA, there is no such thing as a 'safe' artificial sweetener.

Oh I also have a glass of rose every evening.

But, to answer your question I generally sip unless I'm really thirsty.

Me, I'm the second slowest eater I know.

(This isn't completely arbitrary, I do have a reason for asking. Even if it isn't a particularly good reason.)

--Dave

I have replied inline. Sorry, but I don't believe there's been enough reseearch done into ASs and I don't think they should be used as liberally as they are. Not all natural sugars are nasty - fructose (fruit sugar) and lactose (milk sugar) do not have the same risks associated with sucrose.

Sarah
  • edited January 2007
    i'm always the slowest.. i got a problem with my asophogus or sumthin anyway if i eat too fast i get a pain in the chest.. so yeah
  • MelMel
    edited January 2007
    Question for the week:

How fast do you eat? I'm middle of the road. I used to be faster but I've slowed down a bit.

In a group, are you always the first one finished? No

Always last? No (middle of the road)

Do you guzzle a soda, or do you sip it? Big sips. If I guzzle then I have to burp loudly and that wouldn't be very lady like.

--Dave

How's that correspondance course in psychology going? :p
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    Shouldn't it be "how quickly do you eat"?

That said, I'm a relatively slow eater, as I'm sure all you folks who went out to lunch with me on a regular basis may recall. And I sip my pop soda.
  • edited January 2007
    How fast do you eat? See below
    In a group, are you always the first one finished? Most of the time.. I'm the second fastest eater I know, in a casual sense. I mean.. I'm not one of those marathon hotdog eaters or anything..
    Always last? Almost never.
    Do you guzzle a soda, or do you sip it? I don't really guzzle or sip.. just random drinks here and there. If I'm really thirsty, then I guzzle.. but never soda.. in fact, now that I think about, I don't think I can guzzle soda.. or any other carbonated beverage. Tea is better. :cool:
  • edited January 2007
    I used to be a fairly slow eater, but now I have 3 kids under 6 years old I tend to get my food in as fast as possible because I know that (at least) one child will require assistance at some point, and if I have to start feeding my kids, my own dinner will get neglected.

In a group eating out (with the kids at Nanas for the night) I tend to be finished in the first few - probably due to the habits picked up at home. Though if it's at someone's house (or a barbeque at my own for a large group of friends or family) I'll usually wait until very last to serve myself. So it's harder to tell if I'm eating quickly due to the staggered start.

Drinking, depends how thirsty I am. I can knock a soft-drink back in seconds flat, but generally a can of coke or whatever will take me 5-10 mins. I'm a fairly slow beer drinker, but tend to get more than my fair share when the wife and I open a bottle of wine (which is most nights).
  • edited January 2007
    I eat pretty slowly, and Im usually one of the last to finish. I guzzle beer, I almost never drink soda, I dont like it as much as I did when I was a kid. If I drink soda, its usually from a bottle of coke or a glass of coke, with ice and lemon.
    I should add that I only eat once every year, usually an elk calf that I hunt down and kill with my fists. I will however often regurgitate my prey in order to escape any perceived threat.
  • edited January 2007
    How fast do you eat?
    Not slow, not fast. Although it leans more toward slow.
    In a group, are you always the first one finished? Always last?
    I'm usually not the last one to finish, but that's probably because I don't eat a lot at a time, and I don't like to talk over dinner. Meals are for eating, conversations for talking.
    Do you guzzle a soda, or do you sip it?
    I prefer iced tea, but when I do drink soda, I prefer decently sized sips. And even then sometimes the carbon comes up in such an amount that stings the inside of my nose. Now you know all about my facial orifices.
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    Squinky wrote: »

Troublemaker.
  • edited January 2007
    Squinky wrote: »

So that's where the inspiration for Myra came from...
  • edited January 2007
    If the group is boys-only I'm often the last one... if the group is boys-and-girls there's always some girls even slower than me :)
  • edited January 2007
    I eat pretty fast according to what my friends say, although I don't really see it as being a problem. I have one friend in particular at work that says I "don't play around when I eat". I don't know why, I guess I just figure that when I sit down to eat, that's what I'm gonna do...EAT! Eat quick, drink down that soda, done....continue on with my day...

Life is too short to waste a hour or two eating a meal. I'd rather spend my time doing something else I guess....like playing games...
  • edited January 2007
    numble wrote: »

Teehee! That's a good one! :D

--Erwin
  • edited January 2007
    Hm, I need to change my style of eating. Army time had a significant pressure on me to eat in time... :(
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    numble wrote: »

That's the best Telltale conspiracy theory I've heard since the Heather/Sybil rumour.
  • edited January 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    I'm one of the slower people I know for food, but one of the quickest people I know for beverages.

Similar to Jake, except I am the slowest person I know while eating, and the fastest for drinking. I will go through several refills while waiting for my food, and after my food arrives I spend more time talking than eating.

For example... freshman year of college, I lived on campus. In the dining hall for dinner, I would often change tables not once, not twice, but three times because my friends would finish eating before me. So, instead of eating alone, I would switch... again and again. This didn't occur every time, but often enough to make it a lasting memory of mine... hopefully by the time I am eighty, I will have a fuzzy memory and start telling people that I had to switch "100 times, uphill both ways."
  • edited January 2007
    Slow drinker. Slow eater.

--Erwin
    edited January 2007
    Mack Daddy wrote: »
    Life is too short to waste a hour or two eating a meal. I'd rather spend my time doing something else I guess....like playing games...

Oh good, a perfect lead-in to the other half of the question! Now that you've thought about how you eat (or drink): how do you play games? Do you pursue the goal and zip through quickly, or do you wander around and fiddle with stuff? Is it similar to how you eat, or completely opposite?
  • edited January 2007
    I play completely opposite to how I eat... when I play games, I want to finish it completely. Even after playing the game 20 times, zipping through it is hard for me to accomplish. Although, after playing it enough.. I try to zip through it while also doing everything. Quake 1 (my favorite FPS) is probably the best example of this.
  • edited January 2007
    I eat fast.

By the way, is this another one of those really weird-sounding game design questions?
  • edited January 2007
    I play my games slowly(like how i eat, and how i have my coffee..wait i dont drink coffee but i digress) I like to have a look around relax ..i'd much rather play in small doses (not a lot of time for marathon gaming sessions) than rush through a game..
  • edited January 2007
    Whenever there's a sense of urgency, I rush through that part of the game. So if there's suspenseful music, and someone yells 'After them, quick!', even though there is no timer whatsoever and going after them would make me miss a valuable item if I had only looked around, I will still go after them quickly. On the other hand, when a part of the game is friendly and inviting (like a village with cheerful inhabitants), I'd rather linger there for a while than get on with the game, which might place me before a task much more daunting than having a fireside chat with one of those villagers. So for me, it all depends on context.
  • edited January 2007
    I eat fast and drink fast. (Unless it's alcohol, in which case I tend to nurse it a bit).

As for games, it depends on the game, and the situation. If it's, say, a survival horror title or FPS, I tend to play it slowly and cautiously, because it makes the game more immersive when you act more or less as you would in real life even if it has no bearing on actual strategy. (I also like to fill in the game with my own plot in my head, as it breathes new life into it)

On the other hand, if it's a fighting game, I like to blaze through it, as playing on instinct makes it easier.

Then there's the middle ground, RPGs. I take my time in serene parts of RPGs, and rush through battles. Again, because it adds immersiveness.
    edited January 2007
    Maratanos wrote: »
    By the way, is this another one of those really weird-sounding game design questions?

Sort of. Last time it was something specifically related to an episode of the game, this time it's just something I happened to be curious about. But you never know, maybe we can work it into a script somewhere.
  • edited January 2007
    That depends entirerly on the game, for instance, Zelda the twilight princess took me over 70 hours to complete, since I wanted to find everything (which I still didnt). The Half-Life 2 episodes are the same, as well as Sam n Max, Call of Chtulhu - dark corners of the earth... If a game has the quality and story telling to keep me interested, Ill try to find as much as possible.
    But since Im a big fan of old-skool gaming as well, shmups particularly, I play a fair amount of fast games where its impossible to have a slow tempo.
    Same goes for films, I enjoy well made action flicks, but that doesnt mean I dont enjoy watching Woody Allen or Almodova.
  • edited January 2007
    Oh good, a perfect lead-in to the other half of the question! Now that you've thought about how you eat (or drink): how do you play games? Do you pursue the goal and zip through quickly, or do you wander around and fiddle with stuff? Is it similar to how you eat, or completely opposite?

Funny you should ask that. For me, when I play games I take my time and try to enjoy as much of the game as possible. Depending on the game of course, for instance with the 'Bone' or 'Sam & Max' games I click on absolutely everything, listen carefully to the dialogue and take my time to explore all surroundings. I am also constantly searching for easter eggs, hidden spots, secrets, etc. With games like 'Doom 3' or 'Halflife 2', I am running through them blasting things like everyone else, but when the action cools down I like to take time and search the area I'm in for secrets and hidden goodies as well.

So I guess I eat quickly, but take my time with games to enjoy them more thoroughly. That doesn't make me "crazy" does it?
  • edited March 2007
    I eat fast.
  • edited April 2007
    I eat so fast that I frequently lose grip of my eating utensils, causing them to go flying faster then most automobiles, and they become deeply lodged in the walls or anything unfortunate enough to get in their way. ;) Nah, actually I eat just a little faster then normal maybe.
  • edited April 2007
    If you've ever seen a really hungry dog eat you'll pretty much know how fast I eat :D

Actually, I do eat pretty fast, I like to get it over with quickly so I can do other things.
  • edited April 2007
    l used to eat quickly. I remember how my parents would tell me to slow down. I even remember chugging down a big bowl of vietnamese noodles(pho) at the restaurant while chatting with a pal of mines. Afterwards, I threw up in the bowl in front of my friend.
  • edited April 2007
    You didn't even grant yourself time to flee to the restroom, huh?

--Erwin
  • edited April 2007
    i'm not the fastest but also not the slowest.

At Games hmm, it depends on the Game itself IMO.

As example i would bet, that at least 50% of WoW players play the Game the wrong way. But thats my own observation. ;) So don't take it to seriously.
  • edited April 2007
    In fact, it depends of the meal and of the conditions.

If I'm alone, at home, I eat quite fast (about 20 minutes max) because I have nothing to share, just to enjoy the meal I've done, as I don't eat much.
    But if I'm with people, for example with my parents, my coworkers, at the restaurant etc. I love to take my time, I eat, I speak, a lot, I drink, yeah it takes time... and I'm most of the times the last one (or if not, it's because the others eat a lot more ^^).

About soda, it depends of the soda ^^ a coke product, if it's not too bubbly, two times and it's finished... if it's a great traditionnal lemonade, or as it has been said, a tea, I take my time. I drink my coffee at work in about five seconds. At home, it takes me easily a minute or more ^^

It's juste like games. If I play to a great point and click (like season 1 or monkey island) I watch every dialog tree I can, every description I can hear, I take my time, I don't leave a room before having read every single line. If I play to Syberia (or another too-serious and grey game), as it's not funny at all and pretty boring, I just try to solve the quickest way.
  • edited April 2007
    Hmm, speaking of which I never did finish Syberia 2... Not sure if I even finished Syberia 1. : /
  • edited June 2007
    I eat as fast as posible , so I can sit on the PC before my dad does .....
Sign in to comment in this discussion.