Kinda off-topic: Trailer for old Sam&Max game

OMAOMA
edited November 2008 in Sam & Max
I've found out you can still download the trailer for the cancelled game from LucasArts site! I don't know why they still have that up in their server, but there it is:

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/freelancepolice/images/movies/trailer_1.mov
(you need QuickTime)

It's interesting to watch, if you haven't already :)

OMA

Comments

• edited January 2007
    I bet they keep it up so they can look at it periodically and cry, seeing a lost oppritunity that another company has taken from them.

Until the Lightsaber game comes out for the Wii, I say !@#$ LucasArts
  • edited January 2007
    It shows also a huge work about lightning, something we haven't seen yet in Season 1, quarter at night... more dynamic animation (with a jumping max to catch the phone and the camera's moving up and down), and more movie angles and music for cutscenes... that's too bad we missed that... bu we can also see that everything has been rebuilt, in better :)
    Seeing this trailer just make me think that telltale did a good job, but forgot the "show" part of any game... the set is too slackness.

Thanks a lot OMA for this video :)
  • edited January 2007
    You can probably still find the higher res version on lucasfiles.
  • edited January 2007
    and for the ones like me who are too lazy to get QuickTime, i think it's on youtube.
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks Udvarnoky, I wasn't aware of such a site ^^
    So high res file can be found right there : http://www.lucasfiles.com/?s=&action=file&id=231
  • edited January 2007
    The trailer looks great, but Max somehow doesn't look right. They really nailed the 3D Max in the new games I think.

All in all, I'm not too bothered that the Lucasarts game didn't come out, since we do have the Telltale games now. Just a shame that so much material has had to be thrown away.
  • edited January 2007
    Lysandus wrote: »
    The trailer looks great, but Max somehow doesn't look right. They really nailed the 3D Max in the new games I think.

I agree, however in Freelance Police's defense that trailer was made well before the game was supposed to come out, so it and those two official screenshots we got in, what, 2002, weren't completely representative of how the game would have looked. If you look at the later screens that surfaced around the time of the cancellation, both character's models look better. Notably Max's crazy triangle teeth were corrected.
  • edited January 2007
    They had a lot more money for freelance police..all the videos from it looked great..the cancellation still hurts because that game would have been a true follow up to hit the road as opposed to these episodes coming out now..
  • edited January 2007
    LucasArts were looking at splitting Sam & Max Freelance Police up into episodes themselves. I participated in a survey asking all sorts of questions about exactly that not too long before the cancellation.

Freelance Police would have been as 'true' a follow-up as Telltale's ones.
  • edited January 2007
    I could be remembering incorrectly, but I think the idea of selling Freelance Police episodically was nixed early on its life. The survey was probably related to the possibility of releasing downloadable Sam & Max content after the main game was released. I don't have the best memory but I recall the "It's going to be sold online in parts" rumor surfacing and disappearing around the time the game was announced.

The game did at least sound to be structured episodically...six self-contained episodes feeding into a larger story was the description we got and that's exactly what Season 1 is. Hero1 probably thinks it would have been closer to a direct sequel to Hit the Road than Telltale's games are, and he might be right, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was the best way to make a new Sam & Max game. Obviously we don't know what that game's puzzle difficulty was like so assumptions shouldn't be made there.
  • edited January 2007
    I think the telltale people and mike stemmle and such have stated that "freelance police" was more a direct sequel to hit the road.. freelance police involved 6 cases, but they wern't split up into "episodes." If lucasarts were making a direct sequel to hit the road of course it would be the best way to make a new sam and max game. Season 1 clearly isnt a hit the road sequel telltale have gone their own way with the property.. and I wasnt even talking about puzzles(udvarnoky must be a sensitive subject for you) but with a full game I'd be shocked if the puzzles would have been as easy as situation comedy.
  • edited January 2007
    In the long run it might be a good thing that Freelance Police was canceled. I don't think they would have ever made a sequel to it, whereas I can easily see Telltale do a second series (and if Freelance Police had come out, the copyright agreement with Steve Purcell wouldn't have expired for a long while, so Telltale couldn't have taken over afterwards).

I don't know the sales figures for the new episodes, but much as we would like it, I don't think it's making them instant millionaires. But that's okay, they're a small company and it's probably a good project for them. While for Lucasarts it might just be too much overhead with too little gain for them. For the long term, the license seems in better hands with Telltale.
  • edited January 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    I think the telltale people and mike stemmle and such have stated that "freelance police" was more a direct sequel to hit the road.. freelance police involved 6 cases, but they wern't split up into "episodes."

What's your definition of "episodes"? And what do you mean by "split up"? I can't be 100% sure, but if the cases in Freelance Police were indeed self-contained, then wouldn't they be like Season 1 episodes instead of a huge non-linear game like Hit the Road? I always imagined it like CSI 3 Dimensions of murder - a retail packaged game that contained individual cases. It's possible that Freelance Police played as one big game, but it doesn't sound that way based on the little information we have.

When the game was called a direct sequel to Hit the Road, they might not have been referring to the structure of it. I think they meant that Hit the Road was its biggest inspiration, whereas with Season 1 the inspiration is all of Sam & Max's incarnations, including the comics. Season 1 of course still totally works as a valid follow-up to Hit the Road, and it could be reasonably called "Sam & Max 2," but almost by necessity (and probably because the team and Purcell wanted to) the franchise was given a fresh start.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    They had a lot more money for freelance police..all the videos from it looked great..

By "all the videos," you mean that one video: the trailer... and that clip of Max shaving his butt.

I know there are a zillion more videos of the game in everyone's imagination (including mine), but people on the Internet seem to know a lot more about that game than was ever released... which usually means that people are imagining or dreaming things up. I was more bummed out by the cancellation of Freelance Police than a lot of people (as those who read certain websites probably know), but like everyone else, all I ever saw was that one trailer, the butt shaving video, and the 10 screenshots leaked by that European magazine, and, of course, I saw my dream Sam & Max sequel play out in full in my imagination.

I know Freelance Police would have been a great game, but I think the Internet has Kurt Cobained it a little.

Also, it's worth noting that Freelance Police was episode based, regardless of how it was going to be distributed. From what I remember reading in interviews and previews before the press had nothing left to write about, the game was going to be five loosely connected cases which tied together at the very end.
  • edited January 2007
    Yohmi wrote: »
    It shows also a huge work about lightning, something we haven't seen yet in Season 1, quarter at night... more dynamic animation (with a jumping max to catch the phone and the camera's moving up and down), and more movie angles and music for cutscenes... that's too bad we missed that... bu we can also see that everything has been rebuilt, in better :)
    Seeing this trailer just make me think that telltale did a good job, but forgot the "show" part of any game... the set is too slackness.

Thanks a lot OMA for this video :)

Here's another video I found, linked from Mixnmojo's page:
    Jump, Jive, and Flail - Applying everything movies have ever taught them about gangs, Sam and Max challenge a street gang of unruly teens to a dance-off in this rhythmn game.

And then exploring that linked site further, I found these...

Max walking

Max getting his butt shaved
  • edited January 2007
    Incidentally, as Tim Schafer enlightened us all back in March '04, Joe White was an animator on Freelance Police, and his work, along with the work of Telltale's own Graham Annable and Dave Bogan (among others), is featured in the Hickee comic which you're on your way to buy from Telltale's store. No, wait, Telltale's got the follow-up books. Buy those too.
  • edited January 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    By "all the videos," you mean that one video: the trailer... and that clip of Max shaving his butt.

No I meant the joe white videos as well that numble just posted.. I think the lighting animations all looked great..of course lucasarts had a bigger budget and more people and more time than telltale..who I think have done an amazing job with their resources.. Also I saw more than 10 screenshots.. more of it was leaked over time.. Now Steve Purcell and those involved said the game was going great so I don't think there was any problem with the quality.. I also think Mike Stemmle is very talented and extremely funny..him managing FP was huge and I was disappointed he didn't start working for telltale and the new sam and max games..:( :(
  • edited January 2007
    I don't mind. Once TellTale Games is an international multi-million computer game factory with a golden touch, they'll be able to invest fortunes into Sam & Max Season 3 (oh yes, I gave a number as to when this will happen!) and we'll have something that looks twice as good as that trailer.
  • edited January 2007
    Actually, I think the Telltale games look much better than the Freelance Police trailer. The trailer bits do look a bit more "cinematic" (more camera movements etc.) which is missing a little from the Telltale games, but except for that, Season 1 is almost perfect on the visual side.
  • edited November 2008
    The lucasarts website has something about a new indiana jones game.
    YAY! I thought.

But there was no trailer or screen shot to accompany it.
    Yeah, thanks lucasarts.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.