edited September 2010 in Sam & Max
What, voice actors get colds, too?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Yeah, definitely noticeable. :(
  • edited August 2010
    Still sounds like sam to me.
  • edited August 2010
    It all sounded great to me; maybe your speakers are faulty?
  • edited August 2010
    I didn't notice a difference. Could be the audio glitches. The game is riddled with them.
  • edited August 2010
    I heard maybe a few slip-ups? Like, Nolwin's regular voice coming through, but nothing super major.
  • edited August 2010
    Actually, I noticed a glitch in the audio where one of Sam's lines just... didn't come out.
  • edited August 2010
    Most of Sam's lines sounded fairly normal to me, but about 1/3 to 1/4 of his lines sounded like the bass portions had been clipped. A more nasal, higher-pitched Sam-voice was very noticeable to me in these parts...really sounded wrong, made me wonder whether they'd substituted another voice actor trying to imitate Nowlin.

As soon as I have time, I'll try to replay and locate a handful of Sam lines as examples of this; I bet it's just some audio processing that can be fixed before the DVD is released.
  • edited August 2010
    Definitely a difference in how the lines were read from previous episodes, but it seems to be just Mr. Nowlin evolving the part or forgetting how he read the part in the last episodes - Notice how he sounds a little less like he did in 101 with every new episode, discarding more and more of the original Bill Farmer/Bogart feel from HTR and adding his own Samness to the voice.

I don't mind, personally - I think Nowlin's the best voice actor the character's had yet. Just hope he keeps a bit of Bogart in there :)
  • edited August 2010
    I thought I was the only one! In some places, he sounds fine, but in others, he sounds like someone doing a bad impression of him.
  • edited August 2010
    Most of Sam's lines sounded fairly normal to me, but about 1/3 to 1/4 of his lines sounded like the bass portions had been clipped. A more nasal, higher-pitched Sam-voice was very noticeable to me in these parts...really sounded wrong, made me wonder whether they'd substituted another voice actor trying to imitate Nowlin.

As soon as I have time, I'll try to replay and locate a handful of Sam lines as examples of this; I bet it's just some audio processing that can be fixed before the DVD is released.

If you are talking about the part when Sam is talking about recover Sam Jr., he talked like that before: Chariot of the Dogs, click on the spill Milk. I can't think in any other moment.

And I'm with Eyeball
  • edited August 2010
    You guys are stho crazeee

But seriously, I think you guys have audio issues or something of the like. If anything, his voice had even more character this episode- and it's usually great anyway.

All round awesome episode and everything else
  • edited August 2010
    I think he doesn't want to voice Sam anymore.
  • edited August 2010
    lattsam wrote: »

2qxrjac.gif
  • edited August 2010
    girlycard wrote: »
    2qxrjac.gif

That may be my favorite gif I have ever seen
  • edited August 2010
    2qxrjac.gif

Pennywise the dancing clown :)
  • edited August 2010
    I didn't notice any oddity in sam's voice.
  • edited August 2010
    Sam sounded the same as he always has to me. Maybe with a bit more range.
  • edited August 2010
    Sams voice did seem more nasal to me.
  • edited August 2010
    He did sound like he had a cold or something in some of the lines. In a few others I noticed some strange changes in the audio...like they'd clearly been recorded at different times, with different equipment. Some even sounded like there was background noise or distortion trying to creep in. Or someone had messed too much with the bass, like FankyMaloon mentioned.

I don't think it's my audio equipment. I did play this episode with headphones and the voice volume cranked up, though, which may have made any oddities more noticeable.
  • edited August 2010
    I may have noticed a difference early on in the episode, but by the end I wasn't hearing any difference at all.
  • edited August 2010
    I may have noticed a difference early on in the episode, but by the end I wasn't hearing any difference at all.

Same here. I think he just got a cold or a little sore throat or something. Not biggie, but there is definitely a difference that just can't be answered with "audio problems".

And yeah, that nasal voice is only noticable in the very beginning of the game and then his voice turns into normal.
  • edited August 2010
    I only noticed a difference in sound with one single line, and I thought it was just a pick-up recording.
  • edited August 2010
    lattsam wrote: »

• edited August 2010
    I personally think that he's slowly moving closer to Bill Farmer's Sam. Really just from how his voice has gotten more light-hearted and expressive, and less monotone. Also the way he pronounces Max in this season is different to how he previously pronounced it (Less emphasis on the A) and closer to how Sam pronounced it in hit the road.
  • edited August 2010
    Well, if Knowlin doesn't want to do it anymore, I'll step up.
  • edited August 2010
    I definitely noticed a difference. I thought maybe it was because I had replayed Season 1 between the last two episodes, though. (when Sam was extremely monotone by comparison)
  • edited August 2010
    I didn't notice a difference in Sam's voice at all, actually, the huge vocal difference I noticed was in Max's spores, specifically, the one in Max's junk room. I thought it was another voice actor, like maybe one from a previous Sam and Max. He had a much thicker new york accent than Max usually has, or maybe I'm just hearing things... O o

I do think that Sam's voice has progressed a lot from season one, but I've never given it much thought because if I replay the games, I ussually only replay the seaon that was most recent ( I replayed season 2 to prep for season 3 before it came out) in order so the change isn't too noticable. I like less monotone Sam though, the range keeps things interesting.
  • edited September 2010
    Mooshiiii wrote: »
    He had a much thicker new york accent than Max usually has

I think that was what they were going for, at one point they said each spore is a different part of Max's personality. the one in the living room is sort of a downer for example.
  • edited September 2010
    Hey, as long as he doesn't sound like Animated Series Sam... It's all fine by me. Because That... Is not Sam. That is a black R&B singer that killed Sam and is wearing his skin.
  • edited September 2010
    I like the improvements. Its going in the right direction. He does sound more and more like the old sam voice which is good.

However i will say the sound quality compression wasnt to good in this episode. there was alot of artifacts when people said something with S :( thats a bit of a shame. Its probably an oversight.
  • edited September 2010
    Yup, def have a cold.
  • edited September 2010
    It all sounded great to me; maybe your speakers are faulty?

No, you just don't have very good hearing.
  • edited September 2010

Yeah, it disappeared a bit in. Probably voice acted a few sessions, I remember noticing it in another episode too.
  • edited September 2010
    Now that I've played a bit more of the episode, it is clear that only a portion of Sam's lines are affected.

I think you're absolutely right the clipped bass. Perhaps something was missed in postprocessing.

By the way, reading my post, it comes off a bit derogatorily which was not my intention. I'm still enjoying the episode!
  • edited September 2010
    I noticed, was the first thing I said when I started playing. Not a big deal though, just some lines sounded a little off.
  • edited September 2010
    No, you just don't have very good hearing.

129185867237633005.gif

Just because something's different, doesn't mean it's wrong.

I myself didn't notice anything wrong with his voice at all.
  • edited September 2010
    I definitely noticed, but I didn't think it was a bad voice or that he had a cold or something. And it went away.
  • edited September 2010
    129185867237633005.gif

Just because something's different, doesn't mean it's wrong.

I myself didn't notice anything wrong with his voice at all.

Hearing aid. Could be worth it.
  • edited September 2010
    there was definitely something up with his voice. It sounded all wrong, Like a cross between Hit The Road and TTG.

I hope it is just a cold, because in my opinion the Hit The Road voice has always sounded terrible paired with 3D graphics.

I'm not joking, Play Hit the Road and then watch the trailer for Freelance Police, Sams voice sounds off.
  • edited September 2010
    I defenently heard something different about sam's voice. It is noticable around the first and second act(and by that I mean until you meat
    the narrator
    ) I thought of it more as sam was getting a little deppresed by what was happening.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.