All the misleads in season 3

edited September 2010 in Sam & Max
  • We always thought that Mr. S is Skunkape in the beginning of 301, but it turns out that he and Mr. S aren't actually connected to each other.
  • Sammun-Mak is not, and has nothing to do with Sam and Max. His name is just similar.
  • "Norrington" sounds suspiciously close to "Narrator", but this is a coincidence as well.
  • The title "The Devil's Playhouse" has nothing to do with "The Devil's Toybox"

Did I miss anything else?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    The Devil's Toybox or The Devil's Playhouse has nothing to do with Satan, as Satan himself also claims that.
  • edited September 2010
    Also,
    The Sam and Max skeletons in the cellar were not Sam and Max, Yog-Soggoth was not actually a villain (despite being worshipped by Jurgen and Papierwaite), Sal was not a villain (despite being on the episode's icon), Harry Moleman didn't even appear in the last episode (despite the molemen being immune to the elder gods) and none of the characters who appeared to die in Beyond the Alley (Papierwaite, Sal, Skunkape) actually died in the end. Also, astral projection was never gone.
  • edited September 2010
    tabstis wrote: »
    Also,
    The Sam and Max skeletons in the cellar were not Sam and Max, Yog-Soggoth was not actually a villain (despite being worshipped by Jurgen and Papierwaite), Sal was not a villain (despite being on the episode's icon), Harry Moleman didn't even appear in the last episode (despite the molemen being immune to the elder gods) and none of the characters who appeared to die in Beyond the Alley (Papierwaite, Sal, Skunkape) actually died in the end. Also, astral projection was never gone.

Well,
    Sal
    DID die, jut not in 304.

Also, when the Toybox was destroyed, it only took with it the toys that were in the box. Two toys did not get destroyed in 304, but they were later in 305.

Also, Superball ended up NOT being evil in any way.
  • edited September 2010
    Also, Superball ended up NOT being evil in any way.

When was it ever suggested that he might be evil??? I didn't believe anything like that for a second.
  • edited September 2010
    Grandpa Stinky was in the villain lineup, but he wasn't evil.
  • edited September 2010
    wait i was supposed to be lead to believe the things the OP posted? i didn't believe any of those
    lombre wrote: »
    Grandpa Stinky was in the villain lineup, but he wasn't evil.
    grandpa stinky wasn't, but the ape in his body at the end was
  • edited September 2010
    [QUOTE=tabstis;372121
    and none of the characters who appeared to die in Beyond the Alley (Papierwaite, Sal, Skunkape) actually died in the end.
    [/QUOTE]

Hey! And the
    Samulacra with the Bunny Doll
    ? Why
    him
    ?
  • edited September 2010
    Crrash wrote: »
    wait i was supposed to be lead to believe the things the OP posted? i didn't believe any of those

grandpa stinky wasn't, but the ape in his body at the end was

D'oh! I already forgot about that one. Good point.

Another mislead/thing everyone thought would happen but didn't: We never visited the office Penal Zone.
  • edited September 2010
    I knew it was the narrator all along, had a funny feeling :P, and when I was right I was all :D
  • edited September 2010
    I knew it was the narrator all along, had a funny feeling :P, and when I was right I was all :D
    It's funny, I had that feeling throughout the game, too, especially when the narrator said that it was the simplest answer. I remember when he said halfway through his speech, before Sam walks in the room, that you would have to decide who it was, and I figured that you would actually have to click on one of the pictures to make your choice. I was ready to go against the rules and click on him instead :D.
  • edited September 2010
    I was expecting that too, ala Persona 4 (choosing wrong three times in P4 gave you an alternate, bad ending, too). But Sam walking in on him was pretty darn awesome.
  • edited September 2010
    The Devil's Playhouse does relate to the Devil's Toybox really.

The Devil's Playhouse is the idle mind.
    The Devil's Toybox holds the toys of power that activate latent physic powers.

So the toybox draws power from the playhouse
  • edited September 2010
    1) Actually, that turn is a major plot point.
    2) It's funny, I always thought Sammun-Mak was the ancestor of Sam & Max.
    3) Yeah, complete coincedence.
    4) I guess either Sammun-Mak's tomb or New York could be considered The Devil's Playhouse, since they have the biggest connections to the toys.
  • edited September 2010
    I actually thought Norrington was going to be Stinky- Norrington- no ring tone- her constant texting.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2010
    I actually thought Norrington was going to be Stinky- Norrington- no ring tone- her constant texting.

The fact that you were wrong does not mean that you're not really brilliant for thinking that. Great idea. ;)
  • edited September 2010
    The fact that you were wrong does not mean that you're not really brilliant for thinking that. Great idea. ;)

Thanks, but I was NOT the one to come up with that. Someone else on the forums did, and I just strongly agreed with them.
  • edited September 2010
    tabstis wrote: »
    When was it ever suggested that he might be evil??? I didn't believe anything like that for a second.
    He mysteriously resists Max's mind reading powers in 304. Later he claims that he has to report to his "superiors" and then somehow teleports away.
    That was kinda suspicious.
  • edited September 2010
    JasonDK wrote: »
    1) Actually, that turn is a major plot point.

Yeah, it did, but the connection between Stinky's Mr. S and Skunkape was only that Sam and Max thought they were the same person, when it's not.
    JasonDK wrote: »
    4) I guess either Sammun-Mak's tomb or New York could be considered The Devil's Playhouse, since they have the biggest connections to the toys.

No, according to the Narrator in 305, The Devil's Playhouse is Max's mind. I forgot the exact quote, but it was along the lines of;
    "If idle hands are the devil's playthings, then an idle mind is the devil's playhouse.

So, my theory is that the term "Devil's Playhouse" comes from the fact that Max's mind, his super-ego, the Narrator, has always been ignored by the id-driven Max his whole life, and that he wants to end it all, in a big, destructive way. Hence, The Devil's Playhouse.

Also, in the first episode, Max uttered the line "The brain is dying". We always thought that he was referring to Gordon, though he might be referring to his own brain.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.