Give a SHORT review of the series.

edited September 2010 in Sam & Max
List format or short paragraph; what were the highlights & low points of each episode for you? (In an earlier thread, no two people had the same list of the order of episodes they liked most to least).

Comments

• edited September 2010
    It was awesome.
  • edited September 2010
    Most triumphant.
  • edited September 2010
    301: Whoa slow down so new.
    302: Heh cool okay, how is it relevant?
    303: <3 Noir Sam
    304: Epitome of Sam and Max
    305: What just happened?
  • edited September 2010
    Good new characters, overuse of magic toy gimmick, good jokes, incoherent storyline, awful main villain, season 2 was better, still fun.

Highlight of the season for me would be the Sam Noir section. Excellently written noir gibberish. "Geez man, you're really beginning to make me depressed."
  • edited September 2010
    Eyeball wrote: »
    Good new characters, great use of magic toy gimmick, good jokes, interesting storyline, lack of main villain, season 2 sucks, really fun.

Fixed.
  • edited September 2010
    From someone that has been doing the whole "play an episode, wait a month" thing since 101 came out, I feel that 305 was fairly underwhelming. I had so much expectation (we had Maxzilla FFS! think of all the fun that could have been! city-wrecking mini-game anyone???). It was so incredibly short that when the credits rolled I was actually laughing that they were the fake ending and that the game would go on for a while yet. And then the post-credits ending scene happened and... it was really over. That was the finale? Huh?!

I loved the season, but season 1 and 2 were both far more satisfying when it was all said and done.
  • edited September 2010
    My review:

Whoah. Buy it, okay. Whoah.
  • edited September 2010
    remarkable
  • edited September 2010
    My reviews for all 5 episodes:
    The Penal Zone:Fun! Haven't played anything like this before.
    The Tomb of Sammun-Mak:Clever! The multi-reel thing's a good idea.
    They Stole Max's Brain:Meh. Frustrating puzzles.
    Beyond The Alley Of the Dolls:Awesome! Just pure awesome.
    The City That Dares Not Sleep:Cool, dark, but cool.
  • edited September 2010
    Noir Sam FTW!!!

My review overall is that these are great games, with a high replayability rate, which is usually the problem of adventure games like these. The humor is so great you play again just to laugh a lot, even if you already know the puzzles!
  • edited September 2010
    If there was ANYTHING bad with the games, is that 301 is terribly buggy. At first I couldn't even play it. After tweaking here and there and looking it up in google, my experiments paid off. But man, I shouldn't have to do that :(
  • edited September 2010
    One word: EPIC.
  • edited September 2010
    301: a great way to start the series and introduce max's new abilitys.
    302:a great unraveling of sammeth and maximus and a great way to do puzzles
    303:not all the great but noir sam rocked
    304: an epic spinetingling showdown that I wished the season ended there
    305: WHY MAX WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
    Also in every episode i noticed you get to play as a new form of max. In the first episode it was max with his powers
    second was maximus
    third was sammunmak and max's brain
    fourth was the epic full powered max
    final was the giant max.
  • edited September 2010
    Here are some celebrity reviews of Season 3!

Myra Stump: Blah Blah Blah Blah Yackity Yakity Yak Blah Blah Blah Yak Yak Yak Blah Blah Blah.

Guybrush Threepwood: Nice intro. Nice controls. Nice pyschic powers. Nice moustache. Nice noir. Nice Samulacra. Nice monster. Nice Seasons 1 and 2 cameos. Nice credits.
  • edited September 2010
    Here are some celebrity reviews of Season 3!

Myra Stump: Blah Blah Blah Blah Yackity Yakity Yak Blah Blah Blah Yak Yak Yak Blah Blah Blah.

Guybrush Threepwood: Nice intro. Nice controls. Nice pyschic powers. Nice moustache. Nice noir. Nice Samulacra. Nice monster. Nice Seasons 1 and 2 cameos. Nice credits.

I've got another celebrity review.

Chef Exellence:An exellent series of games.
  • edited September 2010
    Cracking season, Gromit! - Wallace
  • edited September 2010
    It was very good. The Psychic powers worked surprisingly well. I rate it 9/10. Go buy it right now.

Strong Bad: Yeah, I played it. It was pretty awesome. You know, with the cool powers and stuff. I wish I had an army of clones and a giant monster.
  • edited September 2010
    Soso, lights and shadows.

+psychic powers, overall production quality, dared a bit more, mac version, animations.
    - often: boring riddles, not my type of humour, boring conversations, not this interesting characters, uninspired scenes, less intensive music, less intuitive games menu, generally too much reusage.

After three seasons i hope for something different. A focus on the inner values and more grown up.
  • edited September 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    Soso, lights and shadows.

+psychic powers, overall production quality, dared a bit more, mac version, animations.
    - often: boring riddles, not my type of humour, boring conversations, not this interesting characters, uninspired scenes, less intensive music, less intuitive games menu, generally too much reusage.

After three seasons i hope for something different. A focus on the inner values and more grown up.

Why are your cons my pros? I thought puzzles were creative, humor was great and kept me giggling if it couldn't make me crack a laughter, the scenes were inspired (and inspiring), music was top-notch, reusage is kept minimum compared to the other seasons. You might be right about the menu, but it's easy to use and it's exactly that matters.
  • edited September 2010
    I guess, different people, different tastes...
  • edited September 2010
    brilliant
  • edited September 2010
    301: We're back. Looking great, albeit being buggy. Extremely easy too, but it's x01, so hopefully it gets better.
    302: And it did. Most difficult (and nice) puzzles of the season, although the buglevels are getting critical.
    303: Noir a major dissapointment, and the improvement thereafter still doesn't mesh up to the other games. Generally a dissapointing episodes. Puzzles easier than 301 even.
    304: Back with a vengeance. Although it doesn't have as many new locations as 302 or timereal thinking puzzles, the full power array, more items than any other episode and actually having more responses of using these (gun on people etc.) make this a great S&M adventure. Probably should have been the finale.
    305: The actual finale. Certainly not a 303, but it doesn't measure up with the buildup 304 has been giving it.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2010
    301: Cumbersome beginning, great new game mechanics, great characters, best season opener ever. 8/10
    302: Even better special game mechanics. Great character re-use, unique atmosphere, what an achievement! 9/10
    303: Wait, there's MORE new game mechanics?? Brilliant unexpected turn of events in the middle, meh ending 8/10
    304: They're cranking up the weirdness. Getting confused, but still nice. 7/10
    305: Great start, very very predictable middle and riddles, disappointing ending. 6/10

...would you like a rating for the other seasons as well?
  • edited September 2010
    I think a 7 out of 10 for the whole season would be a fair rating.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.