Sam and Max movie?

edited October 2010 in Sam & Max
I heard Steve Purcell works at Pixar and i was wondering if it is possible we might see an animated Sam and Max movie?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Yea he is working for Pixar, but a Sam & Max Movie seem unlikely for the following reason: (this info comes from wikipedia)

"Steve Purcell is not considering the possibility of Pixar adapting Sam & Max into a film, as the characters' moral ambiguity is inconsistent with traditional Pixar stories"

Still it would be awesome if they made a movie out of the characters, though it would be rated PG-13 and Pixar really doesnt want to work with that :(
  • edited September 2010
    I think The Incredibles was PG-13...maybe.
  • edited September 2010
    I doubt Pixar wuld ever do a Sam & max movie considering the kind of style and lack of morals. Still, he COULD get another company....
  • edited September 2010
    Strong Max wrote: »

Yeah, that movie WAS a bit racy for Pixar... And it was one of the best, too.
  • edited September 2010
    Why not have Telltale animate it in their Telltale Tool?
  • edited September 2010
    Strong Max wrote: »
    Just PG, according to Wikipedia.

If the American PG-13 is equivalent to the Australian M, I'd be really surprised if Pixar made a movie with that rating.
  • edited September 2010
    Moral ambiguity, what on earth do they mean. Sam and Max get the bad guys right? :p
  • edited September 2010
    Moral ambiguity, what on earth do they mean. Sam and Max get the bad guys right? :p

Okay let me try to explain the best i can. Pixar makes awesome family movies that usually come with a message to your kids (solve problems non violently, believe in yourself ect.) and a Sam & Max movie, if it's not toned down like the animated series, would show more akin scenes to the original comics with the random shootings and mayhem Sam & mostly Max like to partake in, not to mention language and stuff. Pixar doesnt want families walking into movie theaters and expecting Sam & Max being a family movie with an important message to their kids and suddenly watching random acts of shooting, language and no moral value whatsoever. Thats pretty much what it means... even if they do get the bad guys xD
  • edited September 2010
    But just think of all the potential lessons that could be taught with a Sam & Max movie! Think of the possibilities!

-The good guys always win in the end.

-Friends help each other out no matter what.

-Hypnosis isn't the best way to get what you want.

-It's possible for anyone to grow up to be president, Jimmy.

-Escaping from reality isn't healthy. And those fully-immersive MMORPG's that you play? They're probably trying to kill you.

-Don't screw with the timestream.

-It's okay to do horrible things as long as you make up for it later. As in, it's okay to kill people as long as you head down to hell and retrieve their souls again.

-Shooting things is fun and useful.

-Evil is not a toy, and if it happens to come in the form of magical toys, you shouldn't play with them or you will explode and leave everyone devestated.
  • edited September 2010
    i would see it
  • edited September 2010
    Disney released Nightmare before Christmas under a different banner because they thought it was to dark. couldn't the same happen for a Sam and Max movie?
  • edited September 2010
    I think it is the general sense of nihilism ("I don't give a damn about people dying as the consequence of our insane actions, as long as they are not anyone we know -- or care about") that will forever preclude Sam and Max from hitting the mainstream cinema. Some people get enraged over this type of thing.
  • edited September 2010
    Randulf wrote: »
    I think it is the general sense of nihilism ("I don't give a damn about people dying as the consequence of our insane actions, as long as they are not anyone we know -- or care about") that will forever preclude Sam and Max from hitting the mainstream cinema. Some people get enraged over this type of thing.

Like in hit the road when they threw a bomb out the window and it hit a bus, and max was like i hope there was no one on that bus, and max was like no one we know or care about
  • edited September 2010
    jermy52 wrote: »
    Disney released Nightmare before Christmas under a different banner because they thought it was to dark. couldn't the same happen for a Sam and Max movie?

I just suddenly had an image of a Tim Burton version of Sam and Max.

It was horrible! :D
  • edited September 2010
    We also know that when a franchise makes it up for the big screen, its characters portray their personalities to their fullest, and in a fast way since all the action should be shown in a 90mins-to-2hours time span.

I don't think a PG-13 rating will cover up a possible Sam and Max movie.
  • edited September 2010
    SlasherMan wrote: »
    Okay let me try to explain the best i can. Pixar makes awesome family movies that usually come with a message to your kids (solve problems non violently, believe in yourself ect.) and a Sam & Max movie, if it's not toned down like the animated series, would show more akin scenes to the original comics with the random shootings and mayhem Sam & mostly Max like to partake in, not to mention language and stuff. Pixar doesnt want families walking into movie theaters and expecting Sam & Max being a family movie with an important message to their kids and suddenly watching random acts of shooting, language and no moral value whatsoever. Thats pretty much what it means... even if they do get the bad guys xD

Heck, The Sam & max cartoon was toned down and even in THAT form it's still not Pixar material...

The characters should be drastically change in order to fit in the moral area, and even in pixar on the making, it would suck...

Ya know, maybe he could talk with the guys who made Happy Feet, maybe they could do it (Yes, I'm one of the few people who thought Happy Feet was actually a good and beutiful looking movie now shut up!)
  • edited September 2010
    A Sam & Max movie would obviously be fantastic but it'll never happen because it's target audience would be too ambiguous. The people who might find it funny wouldn't bother with it because it would appear to be a children's movie but if it were to stay true to the personalities of the duo it would need to be rated higher than your average kid-flick.
  • edited September 2010
    Enough debate over plausibility. Let's talk Possible Cast!

Naturally, They'd need to be celebrities, so...
    My Picks for Voiceovers:
    Sam: Tom Hanks
    Max: Michael Cera

Just my opinions, mind you. Also, I forgot I made this:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1930&stc=1&d=1284675778
  • edited September 2010

My Picks for Voiceovers:

Just my opinions, mind you. Also, I forgot I made this:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1930&stc=1&d=1284675778

you forgot to make it 3D
  • edited September 2010
    seibert999 wrote: »
    you forgot to make it 3D

3d is Overrated and it makes my dad puke.
  • edited September 2010
    Johnny Depp as Jimmy Two-Teeth? I don't think if they did make a film that they should use celebraties for Sam and Max, only minor character. I have to say I don't like it when animated movies hire celebraties instead of trained voice actors. Unless they got Tim Curry to play Mack Salmon.
  • edited September 2010
    If Johnny Depp played Jimmy Two-Teeth then the movie would be called "The Adventures of Jimmy Two-Teeth and Sam and Max."

Or something like that.
  • edited September 2010
    While Tom Hanks would make a good Sam, everytime I blinked I'd think I was watching Toy Story.

Other people that need to be cast in some form due to having fantastic voices... Seth Rogen, Woody Allen, Robert Downey Jr.
  • edited September 2010

My Picks for Voiceovers:

definitely not. Movies DO NOT necessarily need celebrities just 'cause. They need whoever does the voice best, i.e. David Nowlin and William Kasten.
  • edited September 2010
    definitely not. Movies DO NOT necessarily need celebrities just 'cause. They need whoever does the voice best, i.e. David Nowlin and William Kasten.

This.

Only David Nowlin and William Kasten can play Sam & Max if they make a movie. I mean Tom Hanks and Micheal Cera, what?
  • edited September 2010
    Reminds me of a the fail facebook group boycotting The Devil's Playhouse just because they didn't cast the VAs from Hit the Road.

God, that game is NOTHING compared to The Devil's Playhouse.

Okay, you may return to your original subject now.
  • edited September 2010
    Michael Cera plays awkward teenagers, NOT hyperkinetic rabbity things.
  • edited September 2010
    SlasherMan wrote: »
    Yea he is working for Pixar, but a Sam & Max Movie seem unlikely for the following reason: (this info comes from wikipedia)

"Steve Purcell is not considering the possibility of Pixar adapting Sam & Max into a film, as the characters' moral ambiguity is inconsistent with traditional Pixar stories"

Purcell's words from the interview being referenced on Wikipedia:
    Q: You're now working at Pixar. Have you pitched John Lasseter a Monkey Island or Sam & Max movie yet?

A: LucasArts owns Monkey Island so its up to them to give Mr Lasseter a call. As far as Sam & Max, I love Disney characters but I don't know if I'd classify Sam & Max that way. I think Sam & Max's moral foundation is built on swampland so I don't know that they would quite fit into the pantheon of Disney characters. I'm enjoying the stories Telltale is building around them. It seems like Telltale are well in the groove when it comes to Sam & Max.
  • edited September 2010
    Hmm Interesting, i've been trying to find that part of the interview, thanks.

A Monkey Island movie... hmm. If Ron Gilbert would be involved, that would be pretty cool.
  • edited September 2010
    Player_2 wrote: »
    But just think of all the potential lessons that could be taught with a Sam & Max movie! Think of the possibilities!

-The good guys always win in the end.

-Friends help each other out no matter what.

-Hypnosis isn't the best way to get what you want.

-It's possible for anyone to grow up to be president, Jimmy.

-Escaping from reality isn't healthy. And those fully-immersive MMORPG's that you play? They're probably trying to kill you.

-Don't screw with the timestream.

-It's okay to do horrible things as long as you make up for it later. As in, it's okay to kill people as long as you head down to hell and retrieve their souls again.

-Evil is not a toy, and if it happens to come in the form of magical toys, you shouldn't play with them or you will explode and leave everyone devestated.

-Don't ever ask a lagomorph where he hides his inventory items. None of your damn business.
  • edited September 2010
    Since I received a Garbage-Truckload of replies, I decided to kill a few reply-birds with one big reply-bird-killing stone.
    The-J23 wrote: »
    Only David Nowlin and William Kasten can play Sam & Max if they make a movie. I mean Tom Hanks and Micheal Cera, what?

Hearing everyone say that is like hearing "Sam and Max sucks now because they changed the voice actors" repeatedly.

Personally, I don't see why they couldn't have celebrities portraying our favorite Dog and Rabbit duo. I mean, It would be a new experience for all of us. I guess people just have a hard time adjusting to new ideas.
    Cheri wrote: »
    Michael Cera plays awkward teenagers, NOT hyperkinetic rabbity things.

You're just saying that because that's the only type of role he's been offered. Hey, you never know. Michael could be a pretty good Max, if he's given the right motivation, and he can handle the voice well enough.
    While Tom Hanks would make a good Sam, everytime I blinked I'd think I was watching Toy Story.

Other people that need to be cast in some form due to having fantastic voices... Seth Rogen, Woody Allen, Robert Downey Jr.

I know Tom would make a pretty good Sam voice, if he lowers his real voice a bit. It just has the right tone for the character. And, since you asked so nicely:

Sal: Seth Rogen
    A. Papierwaite: Robert Downey Jr.
    Voice of Dr. Norrington: Woody Allen
    If Johnny Depp played Jimmy Two-Teeth then the movie would be called "The Adventures of Jimmy Two-Teeth and Sam and Max."

Or something like that.
    Okay, maybe I went a bit overboard with that.
    Johnny Depp as Jimmy Two-Teeth? I don't think if they did make a film that they should use celebrities for Sam and Max, only minor characters. I have to say I don't like it when animated movies hire celebrities instead of trained voice actors. Unless they got Tim Curry to play Mack Salmon.

I don't see what's wrong with celebrities as voice actors. I mean, we had Ellen Degeneres in Finding Nemo, Craig T. Nelson and Helen Hunt in the Incredibles, Owen Wilson and Larry the Cable Guy in Cars and the list goes on. None of those films were bad. If you put a celebrity in a film, people will come and see it. How is that bad?
  • edited September 2010
    No none of the films you mentioned were bad but the voice acting was just a low point for me, hearing their voices is just erksome to me and I like hearing a good voice actor over a celebraty.
  • edited September 2010
    I happen to like the idea of a new animated series more to the comics of sam and max, but I honestly cant picture it working out as film{Not because most comic book films stink, I dont think it would work well for the freelance police.} And btw. I spoke with Steve Purcell about a possiblity of a new cartoon or even a movie, from facebook of course. He said this...

"Those kind of opportunities are at the whim of the deep pocket entertainment moguls. I'm open to it but actually too busy at the moment to think about the possibilities. What I'd really like to do is take the time to do a comic. "

So its safe to say, he's interested.
  • edited September 2010
    Charlie Sheen as Sam. Come on, he sounds just like David Nowlin.
  • edited September 2010
    Player_2 wrote: »

I love you for that.
    Seriously, am I the only one who caught that reference?

Anyway, I think I'd love to see a Sam & Max movie, but it doesn't look like something we'll be seeing in the near future.
  • edited September 2010
    Maxilyah wrote: »
    Anyway, I think I'd love to see a Sam & Max movie, but it doesn't look like something we'll be seeing in the near future.

At least not if Telltale can get an other-end deal with our old pal Universal Studios. I could probably help Telltale persuade them. Of course, We'd need a little help from everyone's friends: Ulysses, Benjamin, and Andrew. ;)
  • edited September 2010
    I don't see what's wrong with celebrities as voice actors. I mean, we had Ellen Degeneres in Finding Nemo, Craig T. Nelson and Helen Hunt in the Incredibles, Owen Wilson and Larry the Cable Guy in Cars and the list goes on. None of those films were bad. If you put a celebrity in a film, people will come and see it. How is that bad?

I think it's kinda stupid when a movie adoption idea turns up, a lot of people start thinking of A or B list actors as VAs immediately. Probably they'd do a much worse job than professional VAs less known (A and B lists are classified by their money magnet ability, and not their immense talent, after all), but they still they keep turning up in such topics. Sad...
  • edited September 2010
    Okay, movie adaptation probably wouldn't really work. HOWEVER! How many people here would love to see a new TV series? You can get away with a hell lot more in an animated series nowadays than you could back when the original cartoon aired, so all those issues with being family-friendly are kinda moot, right? Right?

Raise your hand if you agree! *raises hand*

(I'd need David Nowlin and William Kasten to do the voices, though. I'm just too used to them by now.)
  • edited September 2010
    I don't understand why people are so conservative about voice actors. THEY CHANGE, Okay? Sometimes, they can't get the original voice actors, sometimes the voices don't go over well with audiences who are new to the series. I wouldn't mind a little change of voice.

Let the onslaught of crap-throwing begin.
  • edited September 2010
    NO FLAMING, STRONGBRUSH!

But David Nowlin and William Kasten ARE the best.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.