lame humour?

edited October 2010 in Sam & Max
Now, I really like sam and max, i love the games, but most of the jokes are just really lame. I laugh at some of em, but not all, is every1 like this?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Now, I really like sam and max, i love the games, but most of the jokes are just really lame. I laugh at some of em, but not all, is every1 like this?

I wouldn't say "most" but I'm sure all of us find some of them lame (I really dont care for 80% of the "toilet humor")

No, if you want lame jokes/puns play the old Sierra games and die a lot, really, really, really bad jokes about your deaths...
  • edited September 2010
    I like most of the jokes. Some of them are really funny.
  • edited September 2010
    I think humor in Season3 got more lame than previous two games'....
  • edited September 2010
    I thought the humor was pretty funny for the context in this season. Some of the jokes were meant to be corny/"bad" for the sake of comedy. I think it all worked well.
  • edited September 2010
    Disagreed in all accounts. These games are consistently funnier than anything you see on TV these days.
  • edited September 2010
    crfh wrote: »
    Disagreed in all accounts. These games are consistently funnier than anything you see on TV these days.

So is watching paint dry... :( TV has gone so far downhill over the last decade
  • edited September 2010
    I definitely disagree. There are two things I know I can always expect to be excellent in a Sam & Max game. Number 1 being the humor, and Number 2 being the music. Even if an episode's puzzles, environments, characters, etc. are lacking, the music and humor are always in top form.
  • edited September 2010
    Are you kidding me? Sam & Max is the most consistently enjoyable comedy series on the game market today.

Although I have to agree with Ashton about that 80% of toilet humor, there are several gems I really, really like in that remaining 20%.
  • edited September 2010
    Are you kidding me? Sam & Max is the most consistently enjoyable comedy series on the game market today.

Although I have to agree with Ashton about that 80% of toilet humor, there are several gems I really, really like in that remaining 20%.

I swear, Season 2 had the first ever genuinely funny fart joke.
  • edited September 2010

no. most of us love the wacky, inside out humour and the screaming lack of consistency that is Sam & Max. seasons 1 & 2 were a bit better in the humour department (mostly for the sharper one liners), but season 3 is still pretty good.
  • edited September 2010
    I think most of the time the jokes are hilarious. Some are not funny at all.
  • edited September 2010
    Ashton wrote: »
    So is watching paint dry... :( TV has gone so far downhill over the last decade

Possibly true. Still, it can be said the same about the movie industry.

Even if you don't compare it to anything else, Sam and Max simply deliver.
  • edited September 2010
    Sometimes I hear a line that sounds like it was meant to be funny, but had no effect on me, which is slightly disappointing. Overall, though, I think the games are hilarious. Didn't season one call itself "gaming's first sitcom?"
  • edited September 2010
    One distracting thing about S3 jokes is that sometimes two very similar jokes fire within a short time. For example, during the "Noir" sequence in 303, Sam uses the footwear metaphor, only for the other character to point out that Sam (or the character himself) wears no shoes/socks. I suppose Telltale is thinking of the more casual gamers: even if they don't have the patient to try out all the options, at least they'll hear one joke. But for the more obsessive players who must hear everything, this sounds repetitive.

OT: What is the "obvious joke" about Max and a pool table (305)? I don't get it.
  • edited September 2010
    Maybe some kind of Freud joke?
  • edited September 2010
    Sadly, I don't find many of the jokes funny. But it's not MY fault-I have aspergers, I shouldn't even HAVE a sense of humor, yet I just barely do.
  • edited September 2010
    Hatley wrote: »
    Sadly, I don't find many of the jokes funny. But it's not MY fault-I have aspergers, I shouldn't even HAVE a sense of humor, yet I just barely do.
    I don't think I've ever met an autistic person without a sense of humour. I don't know why it's still considered a characteristic.

Anyway, I have Asperger's Syndrome, and I've laughed out loud at the games more than once.
  • edited September 2010
    I think Sam and Max were in their best form in Season 2.
    The jokes were perfect, the situations were perfect and the puzzles were HARD!
    Somehow the jokes in Season 3 just don't seem too memorable...
  • edited September 2010
    Some jokes are funny to some people. Some jokes aren't funny to some people. Each humor based series will have a certain kind of humor that will appeal to certain people. It's completely natural for someone to enjoy one thing, but not the other while another person has the complete opposite tastes.

For some people, Sam and Max will be completely funny, for others, Sam and Max is dull and void of humor. Some people will find some jokes funny, whilst others won't even catch the joke.

Everyone is different, no two people are not on fire. You know.
  • edited September 2010
    75% of the jokes from Sam & Max at least get a smile out of me, 10% fall flat on their face, and 15% make me properly laugh. Overall, S&M has great humour in most of it's writing. I do, however, personally prefer Monkey Island's humour.
  • edited October 2010
    Hatley wrote: »

I've got aspergers syndrome as well & most of the season had Me in stitches bar a bit of 305.
  • edited October 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    75% of the jokes from Sam & Max at least get a smile out of me, 10% fall flat on their face, and 15% make me properly laugh. Overall, S&M has great humour in most of it's writing. I do, however, personally prefer Monkey Island's humour.

For the record I haven't played Curse or Escape, and first two games are known for their atmosphere and NOT for their humor (although it is also present), so the funniest series of MI I have played is ToMI. And, well, I think MI is less absurd and more dependant on "joke opportunities" born from its own plot, whereas Sam & Max's plot mostly borns FROM joke opportunities. I still think Sam & Max is the funnier one in the end simply because it's less limited to crack a joke (although it doesn't mean neither of them are the better one). I also think ToMI relies on "what you're about to say is disgusting so I'm not letting you talk no more, have a feast on my disgusted impression instead" jokes a bit too much.
  • edited October 2010
    I guess someone has to speak for the HFA part of the spectrum: I thought S3 was rather humorous. It didn't come across to me as "lame"...except when it was supposed to, hehehe.
  • edited October 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    For the record I haven't played Curse or Escape, and first two games are known for their atmosphere and NOT for their humor (although it is also present)

I... what? The atmosphere? The games have barely any straight lines at all and a rubber chicken on a pulley. They're the iconic Lucasarts comical adventures, most decidedly well known for humour. They're known for having a different atmosphere than the games which come later in the series, but humour is still the foremost quality.

I also don't know why people are disputing that most of the jokes in Sam and Max are lame. There is an abundance of horribly corny gags, and with good reason: the writer/s try to think of multiple jokes about every single thing in the game. The bad jokes are piled on to maintain a perennially comical tone and ensure the setting is right for the really good jokes, of which there are many.

The density of bad jokes is actually lower in the third season than in the other games, and I think it loses something for it. Not that I didn't enjoy it.
  • edited October 2010
    For the record I haven't played Curse or Escape, and first two games are known for their atmosphere and NOT for their humor (although it is also present)

No, I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you here. I think that the original two games are known for both their atmosphere and humour equally. These games were renowned for their humour. Sure, there was a great atmosphere, and the games are known for that as well, but the atmosphere is balanced equally with the humour.

Morzax explained it perfectly ^.
    And, well, I think MI is less absurd and more dependant on "joke opportunities" born from its own plot, whereas Sam & Max's plot mostly borns FROM joke opportunities.

So, are you saying that Sam & Max's plot is more centered around the jokes, whereas Monkey Island's jokes are more 'clipped onto the side of the plot' and integrated after the initial plot has been laid out? I think I'd agree. Only to an extent though, because since Sam & Max is such a zany and ridiculous sort of a series, it would be much easier to throw in jokes because the writers don't have to worry about derailing the overall theme, and they don't have to focus on maintaining an atmosphere - they don't have to worry about screwing things up, because anything goes in the Sam & Max universe. I think it's more-so just that freedom in writing that creates so many joke opportunities, rather than jokes being made the priority and the plot then being woven around the jokes, as you may have been suggesting(?).
    [In Sam & Max] it's less limited to crack a joke

Exactly. This is basically what I was trying to say in my last paragraph. The world of Sam & Max is just so wacky that the writers can do whatever they want as far as the writing goes, which makes the game the perfect vehicle for cracking jokes. Also, being set in the present, it's easier for the writers to write satirical jokes about things relevant in today's world. Whereas, with ToMI, it's set in the past, and there's all of that timeline stuff to consider; they have to be historically accurate to a degree.
    (although it doesn't mean neither of them are the better one).

Exactly. It just comes down to personal taste and preference in the end, doesn't it? Thankyou for not stating your opinion as fact - a lot of people don't have that ability :).
  • edited October 2010
    My preference would have to be Sam and Max, they're dynamic and main characters are more original and open than in MI.
  • edited October 2010
    To me the humor wasn't too bad. I'm more annoyed at the character and model reuse.
    But the main flaw is the fact most episodes switch to something completely different in the middle and sort of ruin the narrative and mood. The third episode starts great with Noir Sam and you really get in the mood, but then the whole thing goes to an alternative reality and throws the first part in the dumpster. And in the third part you have a great Zombie spoof, being stuck in the diner, but that too doesn't last long. So I don't blame the humor for not liking this season too much.
  • edited October 2010
    Are you playing the first season? Because it definitely gets better. Culture Shock really fell flat with me, almost to the point that I didn't want to bother with the rest of of them.
  • edited October 2010
    I laughed out loud consistently many times playing the game. I think the jokes are clever and charming and the rest of the plot interesting and enjoyable. I feel bad for you if you think the jokes are lame, that really sucks. I wish you could laugh like I do, you poor souls
  • edited October 2010
    I would define "lame humor" as "Disney & Nickelodeon standard humor." A lame joke can be identified by a groan followed by a slap to the head, & not so much "was that a joke? I didn't quite catch that."
Sign in to comment in this discussion.