Sam & Max Episode 3 -- Memory leak?

13»

Comments

• edited August 2007
    This hasn't happened to me in either of the first two episodes. The game starts out playing just fine, but after a while (maybe 15 minutes or so, I'm not sure), it becomes extremely slow and Windows has a message about virtual memory being too low, and the CPU usage is at 100%. So then I have to exit, let it "cool down", and start again.

I have 512 MB RAM. I know I should get more (I had more on my old computer, although everything else about it was worse), but the game starts out just fine, and episode 2 didn't have this problem. So it seems like a bug.

Saw something like this. Occured upon saving the game after getting the password.

Also found something else with Ep. 3:
    CuddlyBear.jpg
    Cuddly Bear shouldn't be visible here.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007
    Murray, have you tried downloading the version of the game that we uploaded two days ago? The memory leak should be fixed, so please redownload episode 3 if you haven't already. If you are experiencing chugging in the new version, let us know.

Also you're right, Cuddly Bear shouldn't be there. But he is.
  • edited August 2007
    I have installed the updates for 2 & 3, and now they won't launch anymore(access violation at startup of games).

Grrrr... I had wanted to take a picture of something at W.A.R.P, specifically Who's Never Going To Be A Millionaire, so I guess I will just have to describe it. When I returned to the game show area on the way to see Myra, the contestant podium was showing the score bar again, even though both podiums had blown up earlier, and still had smoke coming from them.

BTW, I have Windows XP SP2.
  • edited August 2007
    So you're just going to IGNORE my post?
    edited August 2007
    Sorry, didn't see it.

I don't have any immediate suggestions for the access violation error. This is something we just haven't been able to nail down. However I can get someone here to take that screenshot for you.

(Are you using SP2? Also what video card do you have?)
  • edited August 2007
    he has sp2 for xp (he edited his post and you may not have noticed)
    edited August 2007
    Oops, I missed that. I am a lazy reader. :p Sorry.
  • edited August 2007
    thats ok i was bored at the time so thought i would point it out
  • edited August 2007
    Ep.2 error message:
    ComedyError.jpg

Ep.3 error message:
    TedE.BearError.jpg

I'm not sure, but I think my old savegames may have somehow corrupted the prefrences - I was able to get into Ep.3 once, but my savegames appeared as grey boxes and trying to load one froze the game. Simply removing the savegames did nothing. I have tried deleting the prefrences, and that led to the game starting in windowed mode. The gametap and Telltale logos were shown, and then a black screen.

My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce 5200, and I am sorry if I was at all rude, but the fact the I can't run Ep. 2-3 is a VERY serious problem.
  • edited August 2007
    Any help on this?
  • edited September 2007
    Well?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    I haven't seen any mention of it in your posts, have you tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling? Make sure to back up your save files first of course.
  • edited September 2007
    Ep.3 was installed in it's own folder, seperate from the original folder.
    edited September 2007
    Just an update, I'm looking into problem solving options.
  • edited September 2007
    As I have said, Ep.3 installed in it's own folder, so I had copied over my saved games. When I started up, they all appeared as grey boxes. When I tried to load one, the computer crashed. I then tried copying over my preferences, and then it wouldn't start up anymore.
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, it really sounds like your save files got corrupted somehow. I'm afraid in situations like this there generally isn't a whole lot you can do. The only real solution is to just do a complete uninstall/reinstall and start over. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you.
  • edited September 2007
    I doubt reinstalling would help if simply deleting the prefrences(so the game would create them new)didn't.

Also, let's make one thing clear: my savegames are NOT corrupt - they work perfectly fine under the original version of Ep. 3
    edited September 2007
    I'm sorry, I must have misread one of your posts. The way I see it, one of two things is happening. Either something went wrong in the downloading/installing of the patch, or the two versions of the game are different enough that for some reason your computer isn't happy with the old save files. I'm willing to put good money on the former, but you never know.

I still think your best bet is a fresh install. Re-download the patch too, in case that is what went wrong. If the game works, then you can try transferring over your save files. If nothing else, it should give a clear picture of where it is going wrong. I don't think this is an issue of preferences, so just deleting the prefs probably won't solve it.
  • edited September 2007
    I doubt a fresh install will make a difference since the Ep.3 update installed into its own folder.
This discussion has been closed.