Who thinks the action sequences in BttF: The game should be QTE sequences?

2»

Comments

• edited December 2010
    I loved anniversary (have played the original on PS when it came out in 1997), and it's a pretty perfect Tomb Raider experience. That didn't make me like the QTEs. ;)

Oh come on, don't tell me you didn't enjoy watching the raptors running away from the T-Rex and the T-Rex QTE in the Lost Valley over and over again!

... *shudders*
  • edited December 2010
    The 2nd Bone Game, The Great Cow race had some brilliant puzzles wrapped up in the race segments. Not true QTEs, but it gave you a real sense of urgency. Something similar could work well in bttf, though probably better suited to skateboarding than deloreaning.
  • edited December 2010
    Is "deloreaning" a word? :p
  • edited December 2010
    Sure.
  • edited December 2010
    I'd rather they not and just stick to the situational mini-games and improving on their puzzle-based action.
  • edited December 2010
    Tromeritus wrote: »
    I'd rather they not and just stick to the situational mini-games and improving on their puzzle-based action.
    And this wont be a minigame how exactly? :confused:
  • edited December 2010
    Quence wrote: »
    Full Throttle is an example of an adventure game that did action scenes well. At least I remember them being done well...

Those scenes were the worst part of the game, and only stood in the way of the good stuff.

I don't think I've ever played an adventure game with anything more than the shallowest action scenes. So shallow, in fact, that they're really just there for the sake of having an action scene. I don't understand the point of them at all, in most games. I'd rather have a well thought-out puzzle that ends in an action cutscene. Seriously, just about every action scene in a game like this wouldn't be good enough for a flash game.
  • edited December 2010
    I'd quite like this I think, as long is it wasn't too difficult or too often. One per episode max.
  • edited December 2010
    Okay, first I've never heard to abbreviation QTE before this thread, but having watched the example video above I know what it is; particularly as I've been playing SW: Force Unleashed and you need to do the sequences exactly to finish beating certain enemies.

My experience from that is very off putting, it really makes it an unfun experience trying to hit a button at exactly the right moment and in a sequence you have to learn. (Never been a huge fan of games that require you to learn combo's, except for SSX) It just spoils the entertainment of the game for me.
  • edited December 2010
    Press A or lose the game!!!!!
  • edited December 2010
    @Tarasis

QTE doesn't require you to learn any combo. It's just a reflex game. Press what appears on screen. And TellTale could decide how difficult they'd make it with how much time is given to respond.

Also like I said, it might not even be a possibility to lose. Marty will just say a different line at the end reflecting on how he did.
  • edited December 2010
    Let Telltale do their job... they know what to do better than us! ;)

BTW I don't like QTE. It was good 20 years ago with Dragon's Lair, but now it's old gameplay.
  • edited December 2010
    Jace Taran wrote: »
    Some console action-based games incorporate something similar for special events. For instance, in both Force Unleashed games, there are segments where you have to press the appropriate button at the right time in sequence in order to deliver the final killing blow to some boss character. It might not technically be a QTE (since QT is not involved), but it is the same idea. Mass Effect does something similar for the lock-picking system.

Another thing I wouldn't mind would be optional reflex or action-based mini-games as fun diversions, perhaps as hidden easter eggs. For instance, "use wild gunman arcade" (assuming you ever ran into one somewhere) could take you into a point-and-click mini-game where you have to shoot targets (complete with 80's-style pixelated 2D graphics). Sort of like how the entire original Maniac Mansion game was playable as an easter egg in DOTT if you used Weird Ed's computer, or like how you could kill time while playing The Dig by using the PDA to play a lunar-lander arcade game.

They're also one of the biggest problems with current console games and utterly ruined both Force Unleashed games. For things like Shenmue and adventure games like this.. I can forgive them. But Force Unleashed is an action game, all about performing different combo's to take down the enemies in different ways. If the only way they can make that interesting is by using QTE's and taking the gameplay AWAY from the player, then they're doing something very wrong.

I was very happy with the Arkham Asylum developers and their decision to keep them as far away from the game as possible. Using them in things like Mass Effect as minigames is also acceptable.
  • edited December 2010
    Using them in things like Mass Effect as minigames is also acceptable.

Unless you're referring to the brief Paragon/Renegade interrupts at certain points in ME2, I don't really recall any QTEs as mini-games in either Mass Effect game. The first one had the 'whack-a-mole' decryption system and the second has the Hack puzzles, but that's about it. I wouldn't really even classify them as QTEs in the conventional sense either.
  • edited December 2010
    QTE are the only reason I have not purchased Heavy Rain yet....

I really like the God of War games... but there is nothing like QTE to rip me out of the story and want to snap my controller in half.

I have said it already I hate that crap..... just let me control the character how I want....... or if you want me to see some scripted epic cut scene do not make me push buttons to see it, that way I can actually watch it and enjoy.
  • edited December 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    QTE are the only reason I have not purchased Heavy Rain yet....
    It being a Japanese RPG is the only reason I have not purchased Final Fantasy yet....

Strategy segments are the only reason I have not purchased Starcraft II yet....

Platforming is the only reason I have not purchased Super Mario yet....

Puzzles are the only reason I have not purchased Professor Layton yet....

Shooting is the reason I have not purchased Call of Duty yet....

Luck is the only reason I haven't played slots yet....
  • edited December 2010
    As much as I loved your post, Rather Dashing, I disagree with you - it would've been more appropriate if we talked about something like Dragon's Lair.

Heavy Rain isn't one endless QTE. The way we interact with the world while being fully in control of the character is just a matter of interface, not QTE. And the QTE segments in it, are... well... QTE.
  • edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    ^
    It would be just a small portion. 1 chase per episode...heck maybe even 3 chase in total of the season. There could be a small tutorial before the chase starts and the reaction time not too strict.
    I need to comment here, although I have decent reflexes, I may find this idea difficult. I have a physical disability so I'm unable to play most high-paced games (although I do give them a go).
    Like I can only use one finger on one hand to type etc, and use my left foot for my trackball. This is why I like adventure games, they are at a pace I can live with.

Sorry to be a gooseberry but I just think games are majority aimed at able-bodied people.
  • edited December 2010
    Sorry to be a gooseberry but I just think games are majority aimed at able-bodied people

What do you mean?
  • edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    What do you mean?
    Like, to really play, say COD:BO, you really need 2 hands - not to say that I don't have a good old go at it with one :D
  • edited December 2010
    Owh so you mean since most games demand you to have all your body parts it would be a waste to see the adventure genre go that road.

Okay got it. :D
  • edited December 2010
    I know I'm in the minority. Like, take Broken Sword: Sleeping Dragon, this had reflex techniques - I found that hard, but as you couldn't die, I could practise n practise until I got it.
  • edited December 2010
    The chase scenes in Shenmue II were great examples of good QTEs. If you got it right, you got to see Ryu dodge an obstacle; if you failed, you got a humourous crash scene...

Also if they were bypass-able as well, like you are given the option to chase someone down or try to think of another (more adventurey) way I can definetly see QTEs work in an adventure game setting...
  • edited December 2010
    I'm not sure a QTE belongs in an adventure game. As was mentioned QTEs have been around for a long time, and games like Space Ace and Dragon's Lair used them as the only gameplay mechanic, and it worked at least partially. You were to guess when and which action to make based on where you were and what was going on, which meant you'd die a horribly lot. Mingled with an adventure game would not really be any good.

If there were more action animations than your standard Telltale game though it could be neat to be able to play through an episode you'd already completed, but it'd all roll on it's own, skipping some bits, playing a bit alternate bits there to make it one large QTE in style of Dragon's Lair and such. E.g. just like watching a collection of the action animations from the bonus DVDs cut together requiring you to react to the things happening to move on, or face an "outtake" where you get a sort of blooper reel going at the same time? Half the fun of Dragon's Lair was dieing and seeing how you died.

Yeah maybe I'm too tired to think of anything actually good, so while we're at it, there's bound to be a lot of dialog, why not have a minigame in style of that much loathed Leisure suit Larry game now that we're at poking horrible ideas in here?
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Keep in mind that with BttF TellTale is going for a cinematic[/i] adventure game that captivates the experience of the movies.
    That's why I recommended QTE.

The thing with QTE is that it doesn't disrupt the flow of storytelling and the action.
    It keeps on going and it can show some nicely choreographed action sequences.
  • edited December 2010
    I could see it working during a skate/hover/other board sequence while being followed by Biff like in the movies...
    (that was already suggested right?)

Otherwise it would be quite a long cutscene, without play... which might also not be the thing fans and TTG want...
  • edited December 2010
    Cutscenes are always preferable to QTEs
Sign in to comment in this discussion.