New BTTF website info - discussion (SPOILERS)

Comments

• edited December 2010
    About all that DeLorean back in action thing, who knows where and especially when Doc were travelling after BTTF 1.Is it for sure that he is only travelling to 2015? I mean, he has all the time he wants, he has a Time-Machine.
  • edited December 2010
    Aparently James Arnold Taylor doubled for Daniel Radcliffe in the past?

Well, at least Telltale have a Harry Potter voice if they choose to do an episodic HP Series! ;) Pleeeeease! :p

Also, now that Telltale can afford JAT, they can use him for Largo LaGrande in ToMI: Season 2!

It's like JAT was made to be working for you guys.
    :)
  • edited December 2010
    blah blah blah episodic hp series!
    nooooooooooooooooo!
  • edited December 2010
    Well, I'd love it.
    :p
  • edited December 2010
    ^ Well, to be honest, I used to be an HP fan; But after I read the last book, It's case got closed for me.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm *really* curious about who the woman is in the episodes section. My gut reaction was Clara as well (because let's face it, the only other prominent women in the series are Lorianne and Jennifer and they're... hm), but who knows. I'm kinda hoping it is her, though.

I don't think it is, I think that's from one of the options in the polls where Telltale was asking about ideas.
  • edited December 2010
    That woman? Yeah, it's not Clara.

*sadface* =[
  • edited December 2010
    *happy face* =)
  • edited December 2010
    I can't find any of the voice clips people are talking about from gametrailers. I found the ones on the main site for the game but that's it.
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe it's just a placeholder shadow?
    It's a mystery... :D

Yeah, it is a placeholder shadow. That way you can't guess who it is.
  • edited December 2010
    leon101 wrote: »
    I can't find any of the voice clips people are talking about from gametrailers. I found the ones on the main site for the game but that's it.
    They weren't separate voice clips, they were lines that played during the episode of GameTrailers TV previewing the game. You can watch it here: http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/110
  • edited December 2010
    Wah, I think it's kinda lame it only takes place in 1931 :/ ...

What about George, Lorraine, and all the actual characters from the movie ? :/

That and, using such a rich concept that is Time Travel, and only showing 3 time periods (1931, 1986, alternate 1986) is kinda lame, beyond belief...

I guess that the last episode will have to do a LOT. After all they did mention we would see the future in it ...
  • edited December 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    That and, using such a rich concept that is Time Travel, and only showing 3 time periods (1931, 1986, alternate 1986) is kinda lame, beyond belief...
    I, too, wanted more than three time periods throughout the game. I figured they would be doing a story that covers the same breadth as the entire trilogy, which has five distinct time periods. But it seems instead the game will only cover the breadth of one of the movies, which only had three distinct time periods at the most. So, there's precedent.
  • edited December 2010
    Thing is, I could be ok with only a few time periods.

But I'm not OK at all with 1931 being this time period. Seriously what about every single character from the movies ?!

We're just gonna see them briefly in 1986 and that's it ? Who cares about alternate selves that will cease to exist at the end of the same episode they were introduced ?

And I'm not fond of having clones models for everyone and say "it's their ancestors from 1931" ...

Meh, seriously.

I was fine with 1931 when I thought it was just for episode 1... I really don't like that at all. It really feels forced O_o I don't see how it feels like "BTTF 4" but hey, let's not be negative and let's wait for the actual episode...

Moreover, by writing the game as a whole and episodes as chapters only and not actual episodes that you could enjoy separately, they seriously ruined the concept >_< .
  • edited December 2010
    I think it's too early to judge anything. For all we know, 1931 and 1986 (normal and alternate) are just very important and dominant year in the game-verse just as 1955 and 1985 were very important and prominent in the movie-verse (2015 and 1885 got not so much treatment), that doesn't mean we'll not see any other eras.
  • edited December 2010
    We're just gonna see them briefly in 1986 and that's it ? Who cares about alternate selves that will cease to exist at the end of the same episode they were introduced ?

And I'm not fond of having clones models for everyone and say "it's their ancestors from 1931" ...
    But, isn't that exactly what happened in BTTFIII? :confused:
  • edited December 2010

There are no clone models of anything in the game. Characters and their ancestors are completely new characters.
  • edited December 2010

There are no clone models of anything in the game. Characters and their ancestors are completely new models.
  • edited December 2010
    There are no clone models of anything in the game. Characters and their ancestors are completely new models.

Phew. Thanks for clearing that up, I was affraid after ToMI that this could be the case. Well it makes everything more interesting then.

I just hope we can have a few things to do in 1986 before "starting our quest" in 1931 so we can interact with actual people from the movies.
  • edited December 2010
    Phew. Thanks for clearing that up, I was affraid after ToMI that this could be the case. Well it makes everything more interesting then.

I just hope we can have a few things to do in 1986 before "starting our quest" in 1931 so we can interact with actual people from the movies.

I'd say that's likely considering you see Marty walking down the street in 1986.
  • edited December 2010
    Wow, it amazes me the conclusions some people jump to :)

Of course they'll have more time periods than they specify in the synopses. They want to leave some surprises for when you're playing the game don't they?

...And I'm fairly sure the missing character from the lineup will either be that mystery woman y'all keep talking about, or First Citizen Brown. Most likely the woman, since she's already been seen in released media she's probably a fairly significant character. Bringing MJF into the discussion really is just setting yourselves up for disappointment.
  • edited December 2010
    Back to the Future Part 1 sucks. I mean, you take such a rich concept like time travel and only have 2 time periods?! With only a HINT at a third, thrown in at the end? Talk about anticlimactic! I might even be okay with two time periods, but 1950s? That's lame!

Morever, writing the series as a whole and the movies as parts only rather than as films you can enjoy separately, they seriously ruined the concept. >_<

Personally, I'm REALLY interested in the alternate Doc Brown proposed in this synopsis. Really takes the Back to the Future model in the right direction, exploring what we *can* be, using time travel as a PERSONAL way to explore PEOPLE, that's what Back to the Future is all about. Haven't we all wondered, "If I did this thing in the past, who would I be now?" I think there's some really rich character-driven story that could come from this.
  • edited December 2010
    Back to the Future 1 sucks. I mean, you take such a rich concept like time travel and only have 2 time periods?! With only a HINT at a third, thrown in at the end? Talk about anticlimactic! I might even be okay with two time periods, but 1950s? That's lame!

Back to the future 1 is more a family drama with comedy and some science fiction, rather than a movie about time travel.

You get to see the same characters at different times of their lives, which is why it's interesting. Moreover, there's the whole Marty and his parents dynamic, which really made the whole thing worthy. And of course, the changes made had a direct impact on his life in the present.

In 1931 it's simple, except for Doc, there is NO ONE from the movies. At best we'll have ancestors ... That Marty never knew. Hard to connect with those people (I'm not saying they can't be interesting, just that it's limitating the BTTF 1's concept a lot).

As for the number of time periods, the first part is obviously an introduction. Marty's departure was a mistake, he didn't want to go there, and had only one shot at getting back to his time.

Then, when they willingly decide to use the time machine, we get to see more than that.
    Morever, writing the series as a whole and the movies as parts only rather than as films you can enjoy separately, they seriously ruined the concept. >_<

I don't even want to comment on that, just keep not trying to understand and pretend (?) you don't have a brain, it's gonna be simpler.
  • edited December 2010

Okay, who will try to explain Strayth what 'sarcasm' means? :p
  • edited December 2010
    I got it.

He's just acting as if those points were also concerning the movies, while they're not. Or at least I don't agree, and I explained why, and I have the right to think whatever I want.
  • edited December 2010
    Back to the future 1 is more a family drama with comedy and some science fiction, rather than a movie about time travel.
    Yes. That's some pretty important precedent.
    You get to see the same characters at different times of their lives, which is why it's interesting. Moreover, there's the whole Marty and his parents dynamic, which really made the whole thing worthy. And of course, the changes made had a direct impact on his life in the present.

In 1931 it's simple, except for Doc, there is NO ONE from the movies. At best we'll have ancestors ... That Marty never knew. Hard to connect with those people (I'm not saying they can't be interesting, just that it's limitating the BTTF 1's concept a lot).
    None of the movies focused heavily on more than a few characters, and where could we go to explore the others from the films without re-treading old ground?
    As for the number of time periods, the first part is obviously an introduction. Marty's departure was a mistake, he didn't want to go there, and had only one shot at getting back to his time.

Then, when they willingly decide to use the time machine, we get to see more than that.
    In the films we get:

That's four time periods across 3 films. If you count alternates, you have one alternate 1980s to add to the pile, and one mentioned alternate future that is just an extension of the alternate 80s. At most(through semantic juggling), we're dealing with 5 time periods across 3 movies, about 1 and a half per film. 2 is going with precedent, 3 is almost EXCESSIVE.

As far as I can tell, the only complaint I can make about 1931 is that THE YEAR DOESN'T END IN FIVE.
    I don't even want to comment on that, just keep not trying to understand and pretend (?) you don't have a brain, it's gonna be simpler.
    There are no problems with my logic. Parts II and III of Back to the Future are parts in a series that follow linearly and directly from events in the last part.
  • edited December 2010
    That Woman could be Doc's Mom?
  • edited December 2010
    Ralidon wrote: »
    That Woman could be Doc's Mom?
    It would fit the "men marry/date women who look like their mothers" joke in the series...
  • edited December 2010
    My thoughts exactly
  • edited December 2010
    In the films we get:

That's four time periods across 3 films.

Yeah, I think the mild disappointment comes from the fact that this series seems like it'll be treated as BTTF Part 4, when I think a lot of us were quietly hoping it'd be treated like BTTF Parts 4-9, with each episode having about one movie's worth of content. I'll be happy however they do it, as long as it's interesting.

As for characters that Marty could meet and recognize in 1931, Mr. Strickland will be a child of around 6 (might be fun to see his parents and get a sense of his upbringing), and Sam Baines, Marty's grandfather, would be around 21 (Stella would be around 16, so they might not have met yet). They could also tweak any of these ages to fit the story, since I don't think any of them are set in stone in the film. That's all I can think of in terms of characters we see in the movie who would be reasonably meaningful to Marty.
  • edited December 2010
    I don't really think it would be right for them to try to jam an entire part into a 4-5 hour game.
  • edited December 2010
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    (Stella would be around 16, so they might not have met yet).
    Oh man, wouldn't it be weird if Young Doc was in love with Stella? And Marty had to prevent their romance? o_O
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    I don't really think it would be right for them to try to jam an entire part into a 4-5 hour game.
    Not so much an entire part in one game, but one time period per game. The trilogy has 5 time periods (counting 1985-A), the game has 5 episodes, so... but that's irrelevant at this point. Though it sounds like we'll be seeing a bunch of different time periods, however briefly, in the 5th episode.
  • edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    Not so much an entire part in one game, but one time period per game. The trilogy has 5 time periods (counting 1985-A), the game has 5 episodes, so... but that's irrelevant at this point. Though it sounds like we'll be seeing a bunch of different time periods, however briefly, in the 5th episode.
    If you are asking for more than 2-3 time periods in the entire season, then you are asking for a whole Part in the game, or for something entirely incongruous with the spirit of the films. Pick one.
  • edited December 2010
    If you are asking for more than 2-3 time periods in the entire season, then you are asking for a whole Part in the game, or for something entirely incongruous with the spirit of the films.
    Why? The trilogy managed to fit five time periods into three movies. :confused:

As I posted earlier in the thread, my initial expectation for the game was that it's story would cover the same breadth as the entire trilogy. Instead it seems like it will only cover the breadth of one of the movies.
  • edited December 2010
    Why? The trilogy managed to fit five time periods into three movies. :confused:
    Excatly. Either each episode is a full "Part"(1-2 time periods per Part), or the whole season is a "Part" and it gets 2-3 time periods for itself. You said each episode wouldn't necessarily be a "Part", so it shouldn't have the same number of time periods as a proper "Part".

And of course, what matters isn't the number(exactly), but that the crux of the story only requires the existence of time travel without focusing on it.
  • edited December 2010
    As far as I can tell, the only complaint I can make about 1931 is that THE YEAR DOESN'T END IN FIVE.

Yeah, that still bothers me too. Every year should end in five, or, since the game uses 1986 as its base "present day" time period, six.
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah, that still bothers me too. Every year should end in five, or, since the game uses 1986 as its base "present day" time period, six.

I guess the 'exploring prohibition period' forced TT to make it not '50 years before 1986' but '55 years before 1986', since by 1936 the period ends and, well, let's face it - it's very intriguing to explore those years in the BttF-verse.
  • edited December 2010
    You said each episode wouldn't necessarily be a "Part", so it shouldn't have the same number of time periods as a proper "Part".
    It wouldn't necessarily have to have been 1 time period per episode (though that would make the most sense to me personally if you're doing a five episode series with five time periods), but it could have been five time periods spread out over five episodes somehow.
    And of course, what matters isn't the number(exactly), but that the crux of the story only requires the existence of time travel without focusing on it.
    I completely agree. Time travel itself is not the focus of the BTTF series, but different time periods are (or rather they're one of the focuses). Seeing how Hill Valley, the McFly family, the Tannens, and Doc change throughout the years. The game could have been something like BTTFII, with Marty and Doc having to solve a problem that just happens to take them to five different time periods (like getting and destroying the almanac just happened to involve three different time periods). What that problem would be, I have no idea. That's why Telltale is writing the game (and decided to go with three main time periods over the course of the game) and I'm not. :p
  • edited December 2010
    It wouldn't necessarily have to have been 1 time period per episode (though that would make the most sense to me personally if you're doing a five episode series with five time periods), but it could have been five time periods spread out over five episodes somehow.
    Why?
    I completely agree. Time travel itself is not the focus of the BTTF series, but different time periods are (or rather they're one of the focuses). Seeing how Hill Valley, the McFly family, the Tannens, and Doc change throughout the years. The game could have been something like BTTFII, with Marty and Doc having to solve a problem that just happens to take them to five different time periods (like getting and destroying the almanac just happened to involve three different time periods). What that problem would be, I have no idea. That's why Telltale is writing the game (and decided to go with three main time periods over the course of the game) and I'm not. :p
    It sounds to me like, to do that, they'd have to fit the story to match some arbitrarily-demanded number of time periods(and pace their story to go in and out of one per episode). To get that kind of pacing seems like it would force a really contrived and unfocused story overall. Perhaps I'm wrong, but unless they try to fit an entire self-contained "film" story into each episode, they have a perfectly legitimate "number of time periods". Number of time periods, as long as it's greater than one, shouldn't even be a real issue to anyone in the first place. Again, if you're saying that it should "just happen" to need five, then that's not what you're asking for. You're asking for an inorganic writing process that forces several rewrites until a story in which a larger selection of time periods is necessary presents itself. That's not "just happening" to need something, that's demanding something regardless of the story that internally makes sense.
  • edited December 2010
    Number of time periods, as long as it's greater than one, shouldn't even be a real issue to anyone in the first place.

This. I wouldn't care if the entire season was in one time period as long as the game was interesting and it suited the story.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.