New BTTF website info - discussion (SPOILERS)

Comments

• edited December 2010
    yea, TOMI was like that which really worked well, especially since the Monkey Island games were always in chapters.

I like them better as 1 big game instead of 5 small games.
  • edited December 2010
    But there is also heavy continuity in Sam and Max S3 right?
  • edited December 2010
    Ive never played Sam and Max so I have no idea.
  • edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    But there is also heavy continuity in Sam and Max S3 right?
    Yes, but different themes in each episode:

- Penal Zone: Sci-fi
    - Tomb: Historical setting + the changing reels puzzle dynamic
    - Max's Brain: Film Noir + alternate Egypt-inspired universe
    - Alley: Zombie movie
    - City: Monster movie

Together, they tell a coherent story with continuity, but each individual episode has its own style and theme. The same can be said of the three Back to the Future movies.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    I think the BttF will be still semi-standalone.

It will have resolution per episode but also leave a cliffhanger.
    I think the main situation in episode 1 is getting Doc out of jail.
  • edited December 2010
    the basic synopsis(es?) for each episode is up and I'd like to see what every one thinks

episode 1: It's about time

Marty McFly is just getting re-acquainted with the 1980’s when the DeLorean Time Machine he saw destroyed by a speeding train materializes before him. He finds out that Doc Brown is trapped somewhere in the past and that he must travel back in time to save Doc’s future.

episode 2: Get Tannen

While keeping an eye on young Doc Brown’s proverbial date with destiny, Marty and 1980’s Doc must prevent gang boss Kid Tannen from wreaking havoc on Marty’s family, and erasing his girlfriend from the future.

episode 3: Citizen Brown

After a rough and tumble return to the 1980’s, a time stranded Marty finds himself in a topsy-turvy version of the world lorded over by the enigmatic “First Citizen Brown”

episode 4: Double Visions

It’s time for the Hill Valley Expo! Back in 1986, Marty and first Citizen Brown must join forces to create and epic invention so that he can prevent the young Emmett Brown from making the worst mistake of his life.

episode 5: OUTATIME

Lives are changed, mysteries are solved, and paradoxes are avoided as Young Emmett seals his fate, sending Marty and Doc on a climactic chase through Hill Valley’s past, present, and future.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    That's well worth discussing, richforce, but as we already had a thread for that (which I renamed to be more precise), I've put your post there. ;)
    edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    Why do both George and Marty say "Believe me, I can handle him"? A bit repetitive, eh? Especially since they're talking to each other about the same subject. :confused:

That's quite naturally a quote of the "I don't know if I can stand that kind of rejection" sort. It's repetitive to make a point. ;)

I'm taking the next quote from the insider forum, because I think it could be discussed right here. This is about "First citizen Brown":
    Origami wrote:
    Who says he's a bad dictator though?

I initially rejected the idea of this episode, but now that people really started thinking about it, I think that quite interesting story elements might come from it.

Possible hardcore spoilers ahead! (who knows? I could hit the nail on the head!):

Now, Doc is a genius without doubt. Someone who can invent a time machine can obviously make so many other inventions instead, inventions which might give him immense social and political power. If something happens in 1931 that changes Young Doc's philosophy or goals in life, possibly a traumatic event where the social circumstances leave him helpless and shocked, he might want to better the world with his inventions instead of dabbling in time travel, leading to a steampunky technocracy system, and he's the boss of it! But although his intentions might be noble, it's always the nature of such endeavours that people loose their way in the process, start pursuing the wrong goals or are being manipulated by others. Marty, arriving in 1986A, will have to teach this Doc Brown his philosophy again, so that FCBrown may invent a time machine for Marty to travel back to 1931 - and have another shot at setting things right with Young Doc.
  • edited December 2010
    That's quite naturally a quote of the "I don't know if I can stand that kind of rejection" sort. It's repetitive to make a point. ;)
    But, when that line is spoken in the movie, it's at two different times, and not in the same conversation with each other about the same subject. The "Believe me, I can handle him" line is clearly Marty talking to George and vice versa about dealing with Biff, possibly in the same conversation. It doesn't make any sense for them to say the same thing to each other like that. One of them (Marty, probably) should have said "Belive me, I can handle him, too". Or something else entirely.
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, there's still much of an enigma in that. Maybe the sentences are spoken some episodes apart; or maybe even by an "alternate" version of the George character.
  • edited December 2010
    Or they might come up via different dialog trees. ;)

I was also thinking about First Citizen Brown. I can't really imagine any version of the Doc being evil, so it just makes sense that he probably started with noble intentions and lost his way. Though I would like to see what society would look like under his rule.
  • edited December 2010
    I posted this on the insider forum but thought id post it here aswell:

Don't know if anyone has seen the Dead Zone (TV Series) but there was an episode where there was a vision in which the main character never met his friend, he ended up going crazy and tried to kill someone all because his friend wasn't there to help him out.

Maybe in Episode 3 Citizen Brown it is a world where Doc never met Marty and maybe without Martys friendship Doc went a little crazy
  • edited December 2010
    @Markeres

It's pretty obvious that the cause behind the same line used by two characters lies within the time-traveling.

Here's a small theory. Not definite but at least should function as an example of why the same two lines are in the game:

Let's say at first George says the line "I can handle him."
    Then it gets revealed that the DeLorean was send by Doc from Lone Pine Mall and undoing Marty's first time-travel to 1955. That could explain why there is art on the website for Twin Pines Mall.
    But because of this George has reverted to being the wimpy version. Thus now he doesn't say the line anymore but Marty now does.
  • edited December 2010
    richforce wrote: »
    the basic synopsis(es?) for each episode is up and I'd like to see what every one thinks

episode 4: Double Visions

It’s time for the Hill Valley Expo! Back in 1986, Marty and first Citizen Brown must join forces to create and epic invention so that he can prevent the young Emmett Brown from making the worst mistake of his life.

episode 5: OUTATIME

Lives are changed, mysteries are solved, and paradoxes are avoided as Young Emmett seals his fate, sending Marty and Doc on a climactic chase through Hill Valley’s past, present, and future.

is this suppose to be spoiler??? i mean if u read closer it has something to do with young emmet ... ( so im like WTF is going on ?!?!?):eek::D ohh well i will never know till i see it =)
  • edited December 2010
    Where are the new artworks on the BttF Game site? I cant find them?
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    There is only one I think. The one released in the blog?
  • edited December 2010
    Ok, they must have meant they will be on the site soon.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    The art will be future posters probably. I suspect that we'll get an art with every episode released.
  • edited December 2010
    That woman? Yeah, it's not Clara.
    BTTF.com has her name and full body concept art: http://bttf.com/telltale-games-releases-new-art-game-play-footage.php
  • edited December 2010
    Or they might come up via different dialog trees. ;)

Yeah, that's my thinking. Depending on the flow of the conversation, one or the other character will say that before going to confront Biff.

Possible hardcore spoilers ahead! (who knows? I could hit the nail on the head!):

Sounds like a Protomen album to me
  • edited December 2010
    About the BttF small count of time periods: I would love an adventure game where you can freely go back and forth in time, interact freely within all the periods of time, watch the future change accordingly, possibly steeling random cars in the streets, and it could help if the main character had psychic powers too. Hum, but that doesn't sound like BttF, maybe I should just replay Space Quest 4, Dott, some GTA (not adventure game) and Sam & Max Season 3 or Psychonaut...
    Originally Posted by PrivateJoker
    If they had a mass of different time periods it wouldn't feel like BTTF
    I agree with that. And for an other argument, I think that designing a whole time period is a huge work if you want to make it detailed, solid and consistent. I may be wrong and underestimate TellTales here (they already bluffed me so many times, and I haven't play all of their games yet), but, assuming that they will go with the detailed, solid and consistent stuff, I don't expect them to make dozens of time periods (even if I would enjoy it). In short: quality against quantity.
    Originally Posted by prizna
    I like them better as 1 big game instead of 5 small games.
    Me too. But I still prefer 5 small games than 0 big game :( .
    Originally Posted by richforce
    There is one thing I am hoping is that the game won't screw with the original time line of the movies. For example, this would mean that Marty cannot go back in time just to make Doc breaking up with Edna (is she the same character as in DotT? :D). I assume that Marty will first be the cause of Doc and Edna going out together, or the cause of Edna not dying (like in BttF3 with Clara). Also, Tannen cannot target Marty's family without Marty being himself the cause. Maybe Edna was the former Tannen's girlfriend and Marty made a fool of Tannen which makes Edna break up with him and fall in love with Doc (maybe Marty managed to make Doc punching Tannen :D sounds a bit a bit far-fetched).
  • edited December 2010
    I wonder, since this is episodic, and looking at the descriptions of episodes 3 and 4, obviously not everything is tied up by the end of each episode, what will the cliffhangers be like? Think they can beat Part II, one of the iconic cliffhangers?
    Marty: Doc! Doc! Doc!
    50's Doc: Ah! A ghost!
    Marty: No, Doc, it's me, it's me, it's Marty!
    50's Doc: It can't be you, I just sent you back to the future!
    Marty: I know Doc, you did, but I'm back. I'm back from the future!
    [At this point, the camera pulls back about a foot, revealing another, previously unseen Marty]
    '86 Marty: Oh, me too.
    Marty: Oh man, what's going on?!?
    '86 Marty: Oh, me and Doc accidentally caused a Total Event Collapse, so the universe is about to end. Or maybe just the galaxy. I don't know, I can't follow all this stuff.
    Marty: So....what do we do?
    '86 Marty: Hmm...let the 'To Be Continued' caption come up, watch the credits roll, and wait till next month. Something will come to me then.
    Marty: Oh, okay....
    TO BE CONTINUED...

(Sorry for subjecting you to that.)
  • edited December 2010
    (Sorry for subjecting you to that.)

It's ok, I had a similar idea before :p Though at the time I didn't know how much Marty and Doc would mess up things. Judging by the episode descriptions: VERY much.
    EDIT: I imagined this dialogue:
    Marty from BttF2 drags Doc to his 1955 car after Doc passed out at the end of BttF2. Sees Marty and Doc from the game who have their business.
    (sorry for the crudeness of the dialogue, it's just something that spontaneously appeared in my head)
    Marty-BttF2: This is heavy! *releases Doc in shock and his body falls down with a bump*
    Marty-Game: Oh, right, I was here at this moment. I forgot.
    Marty-BttF2: All right, I'm glad Doc is here, this gives me some confidence, but... What the hell are we doing in this day AGAIN?
    Marty-Game and Doc-Game look at each other. Marty-Game: Don't worry. I will rest for six months before all this shit happens. *Start to slowly walk away* Oh, and keep the letter ready. He'll have a recursion of his disbelief in Time Travel syndrome. And try to hide better in the fut... in the past, let's see how it works out, OK?
    Marty-BttF2: Sure. Hey, will you at least help me drag Doc into his car? You're heavy Doc, and nothing has happened to Earth's gravitational pull yet!
    Doc-Game and Marty-Game look at each other again. Doc-Game: Well it's not like we can make it any more worse. *looks at Marty-Game* And I don't want you to drop me several more times again.
  • edited December 2010
    Lol!
    Triloge wrote: »
    '86 Marty: Oh, me too.
    And then, Lauren arrives running and crying...
    - Calvin, finally I found you! Georges dumped me! ... Oh, you didn't tell me you had a twin...

After that, a futuristic fridge appears from nowhere. A Libyan guy from the 22nd century comes out and shouts '55 Doc dead.
  • edited December 2010
    Libyans... lol.

"I don't know how but they've found me... in time!!! LIBYANS!!! Seriously, how the heck did they..." *shot*

Then, the Time Train appears and smashes through the DeLorean.

Elsewhere, '15 Biff somehow stayed in 1955 after seeing Biff get the Alamanac stolen.

'15 Biff: "How could you lose it, Butthead!"

'55 Biff: "It's just a stupid book! What's the big deal, grampa?!"

'15 Biff: "Idiot, Do you realize what you've done?! Now I'll never get rich!!!"

'55 Biff: "So what should I care?! Your just some stupid ugly old man! Why would I want YOU to get rich?!"

'15 Biff: "grrrrr... BUTHEAD!!!"

'15 Biff proceeds to beat '55 Biff to death with his cane... more paradoxes ensue...
  • edited December 2010
    I have a theory about the First Citizen Brown thing. When we find Doc in 1931 he has devoted his life to science but his parents want him to become a lawyer, through Marty's interference Doc chooses to become a lawyer (I like to think of it as Marty mentions he will build a time machine and because he knows to much about his future his life vears on to a different path). This is the main part of my theory as Emmett becomes more wealthy and known in the Hill Valley he gains people's trust through his good deeds, like George Bailey in It's A Wonderfull Life instead of leaving for college he works at the Building and Loans Society. But First Citizen Brown is empty inside because he abbandoned his love of science this is where Marty comes in.
  • edited December 2010
    I think... your right! Ingenious! Not sure about whether the job I being a lawyer or not but any non-sciency job could work, I think.
  • edited December 2010
    My theory may be even more probable because Doc's father is a Judge.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes, i think so...

Also it would so cool, that at the beginning of the game, we are with the libyans in the mall, and then doc goes to the future without a problem, then we would have a problem since the beginning because we change what happened in the movie, doc travel to the future, and he didnt get shot...

Marty goes home, and 6 months later, we get another delorean...but...wait what happened to the 3 movies? then, the space continuun is broken, and we must save doc...

And yes doc becomes president in 1986 an all that...but, at then end in the 5th episode, we do something that works itself to let us in the 1985 world with doc getting shot, and everything else like the movies...

I know it pretty hard, but...it would be so cool to mess the movies in the game, and the fixing it up...its like, "which reality is the right one?" kind of thing that got important in the BTTF2 movie...

i would love something like that!
  • edited December 2010
    i think Doc Brown will be evil in alternate 1986. Like really evil.
  • edited December 2010
    I don't know where to post this thought, as it's not worth it's own thread, but I wanted to say it somewhere, and seeing as this thread's plot-related, seems to be a good choice.

Anyway, remember when people were talking, like, BttF Game should be called Back to the Future: Part IV to keep in the spirit of the movies? At first I thought of it as of a kind of logical idea, but then it struck to me: it shouldn't. Back to the Future: Part IV would be AGAINST the spirit of the movies.

Though the first Back to the Future was made as a stand-alone movie, the trilogy is still one whole story divided into parts, hence the Part II and Part III in the names. They're movie sequels, yes, but in the big picture, they're not sequels to Back to the Future. They're Parts of a big story which is called Back to the Future. And the Game is the sequel to that story (and may be even connected to it one way or another), but it's not a part of that story in any way. So, instead of Back to the Future: Part IV the better hypothetic name for the BttF game would be actually, in my opinion, Back to the Future II.

There, I said it.
  • edited December 2010
    Farlander wrote: »
    I don't know where to post this thought, as it's not worth it's own thread, but I wanted to say it somewhere, and seeing as this thread's plot-related, seems to be a good choice.

Anyway, remember when people were talking, like, BttF Game should be called Back to the Future: Part IV to keep in the spirit of the movies? At first I thought of it as of a kind of logical idea, but then it struck to me: it shouldn't. Back to the Future: Part IV would be AGAINST the spirit of the movies.

Though the first Back to the Future was made as a stand-alone movie, the trilogy is still one whole story divided into parts, hence the Part II and Part III in the names. They're movie sequels, yes, but in the big picture, they're not sequels to Back to the Future. They're Parts of a big story which is called Back to the Future. And the Game is the sequel to that story (and may be even connected to it one way or another), but it's not a part of that story in any way. So, instead of Back to the Future: Part IV the better hypothetic name for the BttF game would be actually, in my opinion, Back to the Future II.

There, I said it.
    I call the "whole story" the "Back to the Future trilogy", which still allows I, II & III to be their own distinct parts while encompassing the whole story. What we know of the game so far seems to imply that the story will only equal the plot of one of the Back to the Future movies (two main time periods). Which is where my disappointment earlier in the thread stems from, since the game could have been a "Back to the Future Trilogy II". Instead it looks like it will only be "Back to the Future IV". Absolutely nothing wrong with that and it's what fans have been hungering for for a long time, but there will always be that little bit of niggling disappointment in the back of my head that the game could have contained more story and time periods to make it a "second trilogy" (though that disappointment will disappear immediately if a sequel game is announced :)).
  • edited December 2010
    (two main time periods).

I won't argue about your post, this is a matter of opinion, I've stated mine, you've stated yours, but I do want to say something about this particular argument about two main time periods being equal one movie.

The whole movie trilogy basically has two main time periods. 1955 and, either 1985 or 1885... I guess 1885. 2015 and each variant of the 1985s (there's basically three in the trilogy) is shown pretty briefly, not enough to call either one of them 'main' (though, together, year 1985 could be called a main year, yes, but that give us then three main time periods). Still, Marty and Doc spend most of their time in 1955 and 1885.
  • edited December 2010
    The whole movie trilogy basically has two main time periods. 1955 and, either 1985 or 1885... I guess 1885. 2015 and each variant of the 1985s (there's basically three in the trilogy) is shown pretty briefly, not enough to call either one of them 'main' (though, together, year 1985 could be called a main year, yes, but that give us then three main time periods).
    I count five main time periods throughout the trilogy:

-1985A

I define "main time period" as one where Marty and/or Doc spend more than 10 minutes of screen time in one of the movies. Almost 40 minutes of BTTFII takes place in 2015, so it is a "main time period". And I do count 1985A as a distinct time period (just as I count 1986A as a distinct time period in the game) because it's essentially a completely different world that just happens to have the same year number.
  • edited December 2010
    I count five main time periods throughout the trilogy:

-1985A

I define "main time period" as one where Marty and/or Doc spend more than 10 minutes of screen time in one of the movies. Almost 40 minutes of BTTFII takes place in 2015, so it is a "main time period". And I do count 1985A as a distinct time period (just as I count 1986A as a distinct time period in the game) because it's essentially a completely different world that just happens to have the same year number.

Well, that's again, matter of perception. There isn't a single time period where Marty and/or Doc spend less than 10 minutes in, btw. I define 'main time period' as their time spent on screen in comparison to other time periods (note that in the following table I don't count overlapping minutes in the endings/beginnings of the movies):

1985 Original - 31 minutes
    1955 - 156 minutes (70 minutes BttF1 + 40 minutes BttF2 + 16 minutes BttF3)
    1985 New - 20 minutes (11 minutes BttF1 + 9 minutes BttF3)
    2015 - 34 minutes
    1985A - 24 minutes
    1885 - 83 minutes
    1985 (all variants) - 75 minutes

So, 1955 is THE main period of the whole BttF trilogy (it's equivalent in the game seems to be 1931), followed by 1885, and possibly 1985 if we take all 1985s together. But each particular 1985 and 2015 are clearly (by my method of judging, that is) not main compared to 1885 and 1955. So, until we see the game we can't say for sure if it's equivalent of one movie or of one trilogy.
  • edited December 2010
    Well, that's again, matter of perception. There isn't a single time period where Marty and/or Doc spend less than 10 minutes in, btw. I define 'main time period' as their time spent on screen in comparison to other time periods (note that in the following table I don't count overlapping minutes in the endings/beginnings of the movies):

*snip*
    OK, I see what you're saying now. In that case, yes, 1955 and 1885 would be the main time periods of the trilogy overall. I'm talking more in terms of the main time periods per movie: the main time periods of BTTF are 1985 and 1955; BTTFII 2015, 1985A, and 1955; and BTTFIII 1955 and 1885 (plus a bit of 1985). Going by that logic, the game appears to only contain about the amount of "main time periods per movie" as one of the movies.
  • edited December 2010
    OK, I see what you're saying now. In that case, yes, 1955 and 1885 would be the main time periods of the trilogy overall. I'm talking more in terms of the main time periods per movie: the main time periods of BTTF are 1985 and 1955; BTTFII 2015, 1985A, and 1955; and BTTFIII 1955 and 1885 (plus a bit of 1985). Going by that logic, the game appears to only contain about the amount of "main time periods per movie" as one of the movies.

I understand what you're saying too, but I've still made the key word bold. ;) But as I said, we still have to see if the season is a 'movie' (where the main period is counted 'per movie') or a trilogy (where the main period is counted overall). It's just that I'm inclined to think the 'trilogy' way still because it seems we will RETURN to 1931 in later episodes, and we never return to the same time period (if we count 1985s in BttF1 as different time periods, they are alternates after all) in any single BttF movie, leading me to the thought that a movie in the game-verse is 1.7-2 episodes.

But, as I said, we still will have to see how it all turns out.
    edited December 2010
    As much as I agree on many of those points, I think the comparison is hard to make. The thoughts on TTG's design team weren't: "How much of the movie is an episode?", but "How much time do we need to establish the characters in a given time period?". Hence the probably rather uneven distribution of time periods throughout the episodes.
  • edited December 2010
    The thoughts on TTG's design team weren't: "How much of the movie is an episode?"

I would kill them if they'd thought like that :p
  • edited December 2010
    It's a movie. With, most likely, one main time period :) The first episode is roughly 20-25 minutes of cinematic experience, so to speak.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.