A Blister in Time(References and Sight Gags Thread)

Comments

• edited December 2010
    There are a few references in that bit, including X-men :D
  • edited December 2010
    Teeth wrote: »
    When Marty needs to think of a fake charity, he mentions "Mario brothers"

And if you play the games in the arcade, the sound effects are very reminiscent of Super Mario.
  • edited December 2010
    And if you play the games in the arcade, the sound effects are very reminiscent of Super Mario.

Wait, you can actually go into the arcade? I never noticed that.
  • edited December 2010
    Well, all you really do is watch Marty go in to play a game and you hear the sound effects.
  • edited December 2010
    I think my favorite is when McFly's father says, "Sometimes you have to go out on a limb for those you love," just as he did in the first film when he was a peeping Tom on Lorraine!
  • edited December 2010
    I particularly liked that one, since the game came out about... 7 months prior to the events of this game. I thought it was very well done.
  • edited December 2010
    That is a GTA reference? I throught it was just a rather generic name for any kind of place where people stuff other people, for whatever reason. Like retirement homes or mental hospitals. I think Shady Acres was the hospital in Ace Ventura, and I am pretty sure the retirement home in Bubba Ho-Tep was Shady something-or-other.
  • edited December 2010
    On the radio in the soup kitchen, there's references to Bob Gale, Telltale, and probably some more stuff, but I didn't really listen.
  • edited December 2010
    The reference I don't get is Carl Sagan.
    Why him? Why would Doc choose his name for an alias in 1931?
  • edited December 2010
    Why not? He's a science guy that Doc probably admires. It was probably just the first name that came to his head that didn't sound like it was related to anyone in Hill Valley.
  • edited December 2010
    I mentioned this in it's own thread, but One of the Charities mentioned by Edna is the Shady Acres Retirement Home. Another forum member pointed out that this is a generic name for Asylums/Retirement Homes.

I actually think it's a Grand Theft Auto Reference, reasons:
    - The Radio Commercial is for Shady Acres Retirement Home
    - The game it is in, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, takes place in 1986, same year as "Present Day" in this series
    - After the Commercial is over, the song that follows is "Crocketts Theme" from Miami Vice, which we see a poster of at the start of the game in Marty's room
  • edited December 2010
    just thought it was neat that Doc Brown used the name Carl Sagan a famous astronomer/physicist born in 1934.
  • edited December 2010
    I DID think of GTA: Vice City when I heard Shady Acres because, well, I never heard it somewhere else.

BTW Miami Vice poster that Marty has is cool.
  • edited December 2010
    Rade88 wrote: »
    There are a few references in that bit, including X-men :D

If you're referring to "Dr. McCoy," that was clearly meant to be Star Trek.

hankmccoy0117.jpg
  • edited December 2010
    This went by pretty fast in the game, so here's the to-do list in Doc's notebook in case you want to take a closer look:

snotebooko.th.jpg
  • edited December 2010
    Some of these are more things I noticed the 2nd-3rd time through:

- The items in Docs 1986 lab are the same ones you'll use in 1931 later on

- Biffs tracksuit is now "ADODS", and the Pepsi can in Marty's room looks to be simply "Soda"

- When Marty fills up Mr Fusion, we hear the sound of the plutonium being loaded from Part 1?!

- The clock tower is missing the lion statues

- The only 2 extra characters in the game are reused in both 1986 and 1931. It's the man and woman lurking around in Docs lab in 1986, and then again as the guy in the soup kitchen and the woman is the only pedestrian around the town square in 1931.
  • edited December 2010
    Kal-El wrote: »
    I just noticed the beginning plutonium DeLorean doesn't have Mr. Fusion rightly so but when Doc uses the remote to back it up for temporal displacement .. it does?! lol!

LOL! So it does!
    I also just noticed that just Docs remote control simply disappears!
  • edited December 2010
    BrendanK wrote: »
    LOL! So it does!
    I also just noticed that just Docs remote control simply disappears!
    Any inconsistencies in that scene can easily be explained away with "it's a dream". :D:p
  • edited December 2010
    No I'm referring to 'Xavier's school for unwanted children'
  • edited December 2010
    Cyphox wrote: »
    i recognized a monkey island reference (yeah, i know its a kid's song, too), but when you talk to young emmett (cant remember where and when) marty says something like "the tigh bone connected to the leg bone" or something like that.

A better monkey island reference is that marty cant get into the kitchen.
  • edited December 2010
    I will say this about that scene. For one thing, it let me know that this game wasn't going to censor itself. I was really worried about that cause of the art style, that they'd try to tone it down for kids, and they didn't. Secondly, and most importantly, it let me really hear AJ doing Marty. And it was perfect.
  • edited December 2010
    For one thing, it let me know that this game wasn't going to censor itself. I was really worried about that cause of the art style, that they'd try to tone it down for kids, and they didn't.
    Yes. I actually applauded (yes, I clapped at my computer screen, what of it? :p) when Doc said his line "properly". I was worried, too, that they would tone the language down, but I'm so glad they didn't. If he had said "serious stuff" or "serious crap" or something, I might well have turned the game off and never looked back (or I would have been tempted to anyway).
  • edited December 2010
    Another reference I thought would be brought up by now: one of your possible aliases is Harry Callahan, aka Dirty Harry.
  • edited December 2010
    Anyone notice the monkey island "cant got to the kitchen' gag.
  • edited December 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    Another reference I thought would be brought up by now: one of your possible aliases is Harry Callahan, aka Dirty Harry.
    Yes. Hearing people say they have no idea who this is makes me sad.
  • edited December 2010
    Does choosing an alias even make a difference except in that one dialogue? I twice chose Sonny Crockett when talking to Edna, and when I was talking to Young Emmett the first time, Marty calls himself Michael Corleone automatically, and even Edna calls him by that name later. I can understand that it is probably better to record those lines just once, but why give us a choice like that, when it is not taken into account later? Or is this just a glitch or bug or something?
  • edited December 2010
    I chose Harry Callahan, but I don't think there should be a choice. With the Clint Eastwood line, it was ironic, because people were calling him a coward in ways like "The biggest yellow-belly in the west." Because there are 3 different choices, and each one changes the lines later in the game, it only changes one line, the prefix to every word. Because of this, there can't be any jokes relating to the name, without making some people miss out.
  • edited December 2010
    The first time I played through I chose Corleone, and the second time I chose Calahan, and everybody called me the name I chose each time. Not sure why so many people have that glitch.
  • edited December 2010
    sethf11 wrote: »
    Martys fingers look a little square... Is he made of Legos?
    Hey, It's hip to be square! (according to Huey Lewis, also played in the first movie).

I liked the fact, that in 1885 they had alcohol but needed gas for the delorean... and in 1931 they had gas but needed alcohol.

You always need the things hardest to get in these BTTF-movies AND in adventure games: gas, alcohol, plutonium, 1.21 gigawatts, chainsaws, gas for chainsaws ;)

I was a bit disappointed that we couldn't enter the arcade and play some rounds of "wild gunman"... that would have been the cerry on the top.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes. Hearing people say they have no idea who this is makes me sad.

i know dirty harry, but i havent seen one of the movies yet. and i didnt know his last name is callahan. why does it make you feel sad? shouldn't it make you feel old instead? lol :p :D
  • edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    Yes. I actually applauded (yes, I clapped at my computer screen, what of it? :p) when Doc said his line "properly". I was worried, too, that they would tone the language down, but I'm so glad they didn't. If he had said "serious stuff" or "serious crap" or something, I might well have turned the game off and never looked back (or I would have been tempted to anyway).
    I'm of the opposite opinion. Doc is an educated person who has never had to resort to swearwords before, so I see no reason why he would suddenly do so now, in TellTale Games' continuation of the story.
    Right now I'm putting my hope in the detail that the swearword only occurs in Marty's dream, hoping that it was the result of Marty's teenage (and less educated) mind twisting the memory of the actual details of that night.

There's one more thing that bothers me with the phrase "serious sh*t": was the word really used in that particular combination in 1985-86, or is this an anachronism caused by people from 2010 writing a story set 25 years earlier? It's difficult for me to know since I reside in Europe and didn't actually learn English until 1985-86(!), but in my experience the usages for the word have exploded in the last 15 years or so - nowadays I would say that the cases of the word being used for positive emphasis and for negative emphasis are distributed rather evenly, while 25 years ago the negative uses outnumbered the positive ones. But of course, that's only my experience; I haven't actually carried out any studies on the matter. :)
  • edited December 2010
    I'm of the opposite opinion. Doc is an educated person who has never had to resort to swearwords before, so I see no reason why he would suddenly do so now, in TellTale Games' continuation of the story.
    Right now I'm putting my hope in the detail that the swearword only occurs in Marty's dream, hoping that it was the result of Marty's teenage (and less educated) mind twisting the memory of the actual details of that night.

I understand you haven't seen the Back to the Future movie in it's original language there? Doc says 'serious shit', TellTale faithfully reproduced that scene up until the point
    where DeLorean doesn't appear (which is the point where Marty's dream starts to weird the things out).

Besides, Doc kinda does swear in the movies. Not as much as some other characters, but still. "Shit", "Damn", "Sucker" (though "sucker" is reply to Marty if 'this sucker's electrical or nuclear'), "Heck/What the heck" and etc. etc. It's all pretty mild words, really, but technically that's swearing.
  • edited December 2010
    Found an interesting things in the texts.

"[alt] Good evening, I'm Doctor Emmett Brown. I'm standing on the parking lot at Lone Pine Mall. It's Saturday morning, October 26th, 1985, 1:18 A.M., and this is temporal experiment number one."

Kind of curious :) It would've been interesting if they would use that, though that would mean that it was not Marty from the movies we were controlling, but the second one the first Marty saw in 1985 after returning to Lone Pines Mall.

EDIT: Something else has been cut, it seems. The "Wait a minute, wait a minute..." lines. Marty has got only three answers, and none of them can give this:
    "MARTY
    {stunned}Wait a minute, wait a minute... {confused}Doc, is this right? I thought your time machine {surprised}was a flying train?
    DOC
    {confused}What? {enthused}A train? {smug}Where's the pizzaz in that?"
  • edited December 2010

There's one more thing that bothers me with the phrase "serious sh*t": was the word really used in that particular combination in 1985-86, or is this an anachronism caused by people from 2010 writing a story set 25 years earlier? It's difficult for me to know since I reside in Europe and didn't actually learn English until 1985-86(!), but in my experience the usages for the word have exploded in the last 15 years or so - nowadays I would say that the cases of the word being used for positive emphasis and for negative emphasis are distributed rather evenly, while 25 years ago the negative uses outnumbered the positive ones. But of course, that's only my experience; I haven't actually carried out any studies on the matter. :)

Doc does say those exact lines. And in several instances in BTTF1, 2, & 3 he uses "damn".
  • edited December 2010
    Farlander wrote: »
    I understand you haven't seen the Back to the Future movie in it's original language there? Doc says 'serious shit', TellTale faithfully reproduced that scene up until the point
    Okay, now I feel really silly. Admittedly it's been a while since I saw the movie, but I've always watched it in English (with subtitles), several times, and yet I had no memory of Doc using that particular swearword. I guess I must have censored it mentally. But I rewatched that sequence just now, and saw that you and Shadowknight1 are right.

Well, then my objection falls. Forget about my complaint. :)
  • edited December 2010
    Okay, now I feel really silly. Admittedly it's been a while since I saw the movie, but I've always watched it in English (with subtitles), several times, and yet I had no memory of Doc using that particular swearword. I guess I must have censored it mentally. But I rewatched that sequence just now, and saw that you and Shadowknight1 are right.

Well, then my objection falls. Forget about my complaint. :)

Hey, if you'd seen it, say, on cable tv, then they would've censored him to say "serious stuff" which would be very understandable.
  • edited December 2010
    MARTY
    {confused} I'm, um, {happy} Bruce Springsteen.
    MARTY
    {confused} I'm, um, {happy} Sonny Crockett.
    MARTY
    {suspicious} I'm, um, {happy} Joe Montana.
    MARTY
    {suspicious} I'm, um, {happy} Harry Callahan.
    MARTY
    {confused} I'm, um, {happy} Morgan Fairchild.

So. It seems to me that originally there where FIVE names Marty could take. Than they've added the Corleone one (in the text files it's not in the same places as all these five are), and then decided to remove three out of six. Bummer.
  • edited December 2010
    What I thought was a nice touch about that sequence was the mall sign. It read "Twin Pines Mall", as Marty remembered it from that night, rather than "Lone Pine Mall" as it does in the currently altered timeline.
    But you did notice it changed to "Lone Pine Mall" during the dream, right? :)
  • edited December 2010
    I shouldn't even know this, but I blame my wife for knowing it. :)

Shady Acres is the name of the Retirement Home that Sofia, from the Golden Girls, was put in by her daughter Dorothy. So, I believe this was another 80's reference since the Golden Girls originally aired in the 80's
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah, I actually got a kick out of seeing that 'Weird Science' poster...and 'Miami Vice'.

Also, if you look at the sign above the arcade.

Marty: "Boy, I sure hope he gets that Wild Gunman game fixed."

...Oh yeah, and that 3rd option after getting that notebook in the dream

Marty: "Don't you think we should get out of here before the Lybians show up?"
Sign in to comment in this discussion.